Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Strategic Tea posted:

- Dwight is fundamentally a nice person and not an incel fascist

From the first episode to the last, Dwight was quite possibly the least -cel out of the whole drat office, lol

Mega64 posted:

I like that they just gave Fake Dwight over to Jan because the writers decided to make her horny for underaged dudes.

Increasingly Unhinged Jan was kinda fun but I think retconning things to "Actually the assistant she slept with was only 17 at the time" wasn't the best idea.

I don't remember them retconning Hunter to underage at all. I only remember him ever being 19. That's not much better, of course.

Speaking of creepery, there was one scene where Erin outright says that she finds sex with Gabe gross but she does it because she has to, which...I mean, depicting a coercive unhappy relationship was probably a step too far anyway, but they could have done it without making him a literal rapist.

edit:

haljordan posted:

I totally forgot the episode where Dwight uses a friggin tranquillizer gun on Stanley, the writers must've been drunk as hell for that last season.

Yeah, that was an episode that I saw for the first time in syndication very recently, and I posted about it in TV/IV because I was disturbed, and the reaction was basically "huh, yeah, okay".

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jun 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Slugworth posted:

Also, Darryl's delivery of "the coconut is... subtle" almost pays off the very dumb plot line of the warehouse guys winning the lottery.

I got off the train early but holy lmao that sucks hahah

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

It is fun to see Rainn Wilson pop up in the news now and then pleading for attention. Lets see hes calling for spiritual revolution, wrote an autobiography, seems very available for interviews, and has changed his name on social media to call attention to climate change. Wonder if Carell & Krasinski still take his calls.

He was a pro-follow in the early days of twitter. But recently yeah, he had one tweet which was like "Nobody likes Christians in Hollywood!!!" and then a day later was "What are we supposed to be outraged about today hrm?!?!?!".

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I heard him do one of those lovely rants like "Why do we teach kids math in school? When do we ever use math? We should teach them how to balance a drat checkbook!"

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I don't know why people would watch a TV show about an office when they could simply go work in an office.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

The Moon Monster posted:

I don't know why people would watch a TV show about an office when they could simply go work in an office.

Especially a small office, which is just like The Office.

Tommah
Mar 29, 2003

naem posted:

they literally cloned Jim, Dwight and Pam probably in case they lost anyone else after steve carell left

the last couple seasons were a cosplay of The Office

plop and fart

the funny thing is fart looks like jon hendren

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

YeahTubaMike posted:

Yeah, that was an episode that I saw for the first time in syndication very recently, and I posted about it in TV/IV because I was disturbed, and the reaction was basically "huh, yeah, okay".

Like I get it's supposed to be a zany workplace comedy, but at that point you might as well give everyone on the show superpowers.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Strategic Tea posted:

They go steady downhill from around I want to say season 4 when they decide:

- Michael is fundamentally a nice person who loves everyone
- Dwight is fundamentally a nice person and not an incel fascist
- Jim is a marketing agency hotshot and not the beleaguered straight man having his soul destroyed

Or really, it's that they decided that The Office isn't a living hell where we can only pray Jim and Pam escape, but is actually a loving dysfunctional family.

Good summary, yeah thats similar to where Parks & Rec went wrong. The humor works better when its a few wacky characters existing in a grounded world, like in the early seasons Dunder Mifflin seemed to be a functional company. Then in the later seasons its crazy town so there are no stakes anymore, why work when perhaps a money tornado will set down in the parking lot. Like how Pawnee went from somewhat believable to having residents so dumb it doesnt make sense they havent all drowned when it rains.

The new Beavis & Butthead movie did that too where instead of two fools going around the real world their antagonists were even zanier, still fun but didnt reach heights of first film. Thankfully the new seasons seem to have gone (mostly) back to the older format.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

In the later seasons of Parks and Rec, Donna and Tom appear to be straight up multi millionaires despite being civil servants in a tiny city in the Midwest. I guess Donna also sold real estate and Tom owned a restaurant but still.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jun 2, 2023

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Thankfully the new seasons seem to have gone (mostly) back to the older format.

Beavis hanging out with FIRE is one of my favorite episodes because FIRE ends up being one of the most grounded characters in the show

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

haljordan posted:

In the later seasons of Parks and Rec, Donna and Tom appeared to be straight up multi millionaires despite being civil servants in the Midwest. I guess Donna also sold real estate and Tom owned a restaurant but still.

Yeah too much lazy wish fulfillment. Everyone gets a dream house, Leslie is president, Jerry ascends to sainthood, Ron loves the government now, April is very clear about not wanting kids but too drat bad thats not acceptable oh look the baby made her happy.

Much better when a show knows what it is and trusts the audience to follow along. Like the final season of Peep Show Mark & Jeremy have learned nothing.

MrQwerty posted:

Beavis hanging out with FIRE is one of my favorite episodes because FIRE ends up being one of the most grounded characters in the show

Lol thats my favorite, I like fire making him tidy up the alley & run laps.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Lol thats my favorite, I like fire making him tidy up the alley & run laps.

His voice is great and I love how he plays himself as this evil overlord in response to fire questions, "mhmmmhm YES THAT WAS MEEEEE," "that was a GREAT day!!!!" and then gives Beavis a lecture about college prep and tries to get him to write a paper about Call of the Wild

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Much better when a show knows what it is and trusts the audience to follow along. Like the final season of Peep Show Mark & Jeremy have learned nothing.

And now I'm thinking of the Seinfeld finale which was panned to hell and back while trying to communicate the same message. The big difference was it went way off the rails, even for Seinfeld, and was one step away from being a clip show (which they actually showed before the finale itself!)

Here's hoping that when Always Sunny takes its bow it'll be better written

MrQwerty posted:

His voice is great and I love how he plays himself as this evil overlord in response to fire questions, "mhmmmhm YES THAT WAS MEEEEE," "that was a GREAT day!!!!" and then gives Beavis a lecture about college prep and tries to get him to write a paper about Call of the Wild

I haven't seen any new B&B since the MTV revival but this sounds amazing lol

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

ElectricSheep posted:

the P+ stuff is loving hilarious and you should check it out, there's an episode where old man B&B get accidentally gay married trying to get a drivers license back and the ending comes out of nowhere and had me rollin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXVdTT1Sis0
this is basically the entire episode

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jun 2, 2023

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

ElectricSheep posted:

And now I'm thinking of the Seinfeld finale which was panned to hell and back while trying to communicate the same message. The big difference was it went way off the rails, even for Seinfeld, and was one step away from being a clip show (which they actually showed before the finale itself!)

Here's hoping that when Always Sunny takes its bow it'll be better written

Oh yeah I remember when the Seinfeld finale aired & they had commercials with Time of Your Life playing with heartwarming clips & it felt like whoever was marketing it wasnt familiar with the premise.

The new B&Bs are excellent, so glad they werent afraid to advance the timeline & put them in present day but also have eps where they are old. Definitely start with the new movie.

lol its bizarre how if youd told someone in 1993 the Simpsons & Beavis & Butthead would still be airing three decades later, except Simpsons is unwatchable & B&B is a beloved well written treasure theyd be confused.

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jun 2, 2023

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

haljordan posted:

Like I get it's supposed to be a zany workplace comedy, but at that point you might as well give everyone on the show superpowers.

Except Kevin, unless being such a complete imbecile that Holly thought he was disabled is a superpower.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah too much lazy wish fulfillment. Everyone gets a dream house, Leslie is president, Jerry ascends to sainthood, Ron loves the government now, April is very clear about not wanting kids but too drat bad thats not acceptable oh look the baby made her happy.

I loved Parks & Rec when it first began, and just kind of slowly drifted away from it as the wish fulfillment gradually ramped up. It would have absolutely enraged me to see a plot involving a woman who is childless by choice -- especially April, who I thought was great -- gleefully going against her own principles & having a baby anyway. I don't know exactly how it happened on the show because I stopped watching which turned out to be the right decision, but as a woman who has had to deal with the "you'll change your mind eventually" "who will take care of you when you're older?" "what happens if you meet your dream guy & he wants kids?" nonsense, seeing a female character on TV who is outspoken & adamant about not wanting children would be a nice change of pace, and seeing that character change her mind -- seeing the writers decide that this was the outcome that they wanted -- would have bummed me out, to say the least.

...did Jerry literally ascend to sainthood? :raise:

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

He ends up as Earth's Greatest Mayor and everyone just kinda forgets about bullying him and treating him like garbage in literally every single episode

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

haljordan posted:

He ends up as Earth's Greatest Mayor and everyone just kinda forgets about bullying him and treating him like garbage in literally every single episode

There was an episode, where he acknowledges that everyone treats him like crap, but that's okay, cause he's martyring himself to keep everyone else happy.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

haljordan posted:

That sounds very, very silly.

THE BAR posted:

There was an episode, where he acknowledges that everyone treats him like crap, but that's okay, cause he's martyring himself to keep everyone else happy.

Wow, like Meg from Family Guy, another well-thought-out, well-written character.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

YeahTubaMike posted:

...did Jerry literally ascend to sainthood? :raise:

Eh pretty much, from the wiki:

quote:

In "Two Funerals", city manager Ben Wyatt (Adam Scott) searches for an interim mayor to replace the recently deceased Mayor Gunderson. After a fruitless search Ben realizes Garry (as he is then called) is the ideal candidate. In the flash forwards in the final episode it is shown that Mayor Gergich is repeatedly reelected in earnest, serving ten terms. These flash forwards show that Garry dies on his 100th birthday, after celebrating with several generations of his family and toasting a perfect life. He is buried with much ceremony, attended by possibly the President of the United States

BTW if you want a show that speedruns eliminating conflict & having pure wish fulfillment, you might like a little indie project called Ted Lasso. They barely even play soccer anymore. At least Parks & Rec was merciful enough to only be 22 minutes instead of an hour of watching dullards go to restaurants & sing along with the Beatles as they enjoy Apple products.

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jun 2, 2023

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

the orifice

heh

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Garry (as he is then called)

Huh? :psyduck:

quote:

These flash forwards show that Garry dies on his 100th birthday, after celebrating with several generations of his family and toasting a perfect life. He is buried with much ceremony, attended by possibly the President of the United States

ugh.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I think it was the start of a new season, where everyone else had forgotten his name is Jerry, not Garry. But he lets it slide cause, you know, he's the lightning rod.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I really liked season 1 of US The Office and Parks and Recs, but apparently they're mostly reviled by the true fans.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I didn't like Erin but the scene with her accompanying Michael to tell the students about the scholarships was A+

It was very weird that they gutted 99% of her main story but still had the payoff in the finale.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

THE BAR posted:

I really liked season 1 of US The Office and Parks and Recs, but apparently they're mostly reviled by the true fans.

Season 1 Michael Scott is such an unrepentant rear end in a top hat with truly no redeeming qualities, as opposed to later seasons where he has maybe 1 sorta good quality.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 2, 2023

naem
May 29, 2011

parks and red started out with that slightly edgy mean quality the office had, then veered aggressively into everyone gets a puppy territory

I really liked parks and rec though, I think they realized there was a lack of happy positive tv and filled a gap

sometimes its ok to just eat the frosting off the cake imo

Jerry also married Christy Brinkley who showed up on the show which was amazing

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

naem posted:

parks and red started out with that slightly edgy mean quality the office had, then veered aggressively into “everyone gets a puppy” territory

I really liked parks and rec though, I think they realized there was a lack of happy positive tv and filled a gap

sometimes it’s ok to just eat the frosting off the cake imo

There were a few times when people (rightfully) called out Leslie for being insanely overbearing and controlling but those episodes all ended with "ah well we were both kinda wrong" bs

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

naem posted:

parks and red started out with that slightly edgy mean quality the office had, then veered aggressively into “everyone gets a puppy” territory

sometimes it’s ok to just eat the frosting off the cake imo

Jerry getting wrecked in the creek reaching for a burrito still has me rolling.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

haljordan posted:

Season 1 Michael Scott is such an unrepentant rear end in a top hat with truly no redeeming qualities, as opposed to later seasons where he has maybe 1 sorta good quality.

Yeah, it was great!

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I think that is what happened to the US Office.

The fundamental setup (even more so in the UK show) is that The Office is an awful soul destroying hell. But that's not very comforting TV to an audience that works in places just as miserable and only slightly less ridiculous.

It goes from a subversive message about escaping the grind to a conservative one that celebrates it. Everyone fell in love and got married! Pam became a artist housewife like she always dreamed! Michael is like a father to everyone!

Your mediocre disappointment of a life was actually magical all along! Now clock in and have kids.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Jim having to lie to Pam about not failing everything when she lied her way into the office administrator job was pretty funny

naem
May 29, 2011

Aubrey Plaza and Jim OHeir revealing their torrid affair was a little inappropriate in retrospect

https://youtu.be/0ZQQfkJ7hZY

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

naem posted:

parks and red started out with that slightly edgy mean quality the office had, then veered aggressively into everyone gets a puppy territory

There's a pervasive idea that a show can't be happy and have an edge at the same time -- maybe it's true, I'm not a TV writer, but it was certainly true in the Parks & Rec timeline

quote:

sometimes its ok to just eat the frosting off the cake imo

Possibly fittingly, I don't like frosting that much and I scrape most of it off if I'm eating a cupcake & some of it off if I'm eating a regular slice of cake

quote:

Maybe it didn't happen in the show, but the idea of a pretty wife being seen as an "accomplishment" doesn't sit right with me

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

numberoneposter posted:

Has someone made cs_theoffice?

i played a map of the office in VR through pavlov. you probably can bet what the chokepoints were. i mugged the camera every time i killed someone

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Preoptopus posted:

Jerry getting wrecked in the creek reaching for a burrito still has me rolling.

I did like when theyre answering phones & Jerry is getting 911 calls.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

So I gather that the seasons without the original first season cast is poo poo? I cant imagine the series being any good without who I see in the second season.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
They should have pulled a Valerie's Family and changed the name of the show to Michael Scott's Former Office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Im from Scranton IRL, AMA