Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Oh also, why not pull the guts out of those CTS keys and stick em in the non-shattered shell so you can be driver 1 and use auto seat memory? It shouldn’t take more than an hour or so, and could probably be done while ignoring something on TV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Dr. Lunchables posted:

God drat I love the G Marquis. What a beautiful two tone.

I’ve got a 77 Continental Mark V and have similar problems fitting it in a garage. Such is the weight of the cross we bear, I guess.

e: scrolled up and realized I’m only here to talk about the G Marquis and my Mark V. But that’s not true! I like the rest of the updates, especially the Volvo.

I should eventually stop introducing myself and just talk like a normal person. But not today!

The full size fords of that era are a fun mix. I've had two galaxies and they drove so differently than the Marquis, yet when you get under them they all look identical. It's not like the suspension changed a whole lot over twenty years with this platform, hell even the panther cars were effectively the same.

It does mean the spare tire is still in the most annoying spot outside of being under it like in a truck. Although if we're being honest, I have no intention of ever using the Merc's spare. It's original and looks to never have been touched. I've basically got AAA for this car specifically.

If there's interest I can do a walk around type video with these cars, kind of like what Doug DeMuro used to do where he got into the stuff I want to know about such as the rear arm rest and how the glovebox works.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 6, 2024

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Oh also, why not pull the guts out of those CTS keys and stick em in the non-shattered shell so you can be driver 1 and use auto seat memory? It shouldn’t take more than an hour or so, and could probably be done while ignoring something on TV

Oh I've done that. Had both cases apart and was using the newer one for a while. It stopped responding and I'm back to the original again which still takes some finesse to get to behave.

I have no idea what's going on with them and have accepted that I have to go to a dealership to get them to do the reprogramming.

The CTS has significant HVAC issues that I need addressed anyway. It's now blowing cold on the drive side and hot on the passenger even when it's in the 50's outside. I'm sure the issue is fairly simple, some relay or solenoid, but it's beyond my capabilities and as long as the repair cost isn't outrageous I'll let the experts fix it. Or perhaps if I can find a thread on one of the Cadillac forums discussing a similar problem, but that hasn't been the case yet and those forums are mostly worthless anyway.

This would have been addressed months ago. I've decided to focus on getting the Bronco and Merc dependable enough to be my primaries and we're pretty much there assuming the running cold and low oil pressure issues in the Bronco are diagnosed this month. The Merc is basically fine and one really needs to have the AC converted once it gets hot again. There's a new noise in the engine though, which is always a fun development especially when it isn't on my list of noises and smells I can immediately diagnose.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Typing this all up again after the browser decided to reload randomly so might be more visibly annoyed in the text. Actually going to just do the basic version and I'll come back later to fill in the nuanced part I don't feel like dealing with again.

Volvo Parts Update

Got everything out of the car and on the ground to assess what is left.

Kept most things in these large rubbermaid things to keep the critters from making nests from it all.

And a few more items.

And then we empty the containers.

*Synposis of parts situation will go here*

With this all out I grabbed the Volvo's fan shroud to compare with the Mustang/Mark electric fan setup. Looks like the larger one will fit just fine so that's a relief. Also the Volvo had an electric fan setup so I'll have to determine if the stock temp sensor and relay will talk to the control box for the newer setup or not. I've still got the temp unit for the new one, but would be nice to not have to use it if possible.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

I spy a 2814 cassette there!

Man, back before HKE went nuts and ruined Dream Catalogue.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Last day before going back to work from a few weeks off. Mostly just cleaned parts and put them back into the plastic cases.

Cleaned up the intake, mass air, intake tubes, some old Volvo body parts that live around the front end, and tried to see if I could get the old silicone hoses from the Mustang cleaned up as well.

Got them to a much better state and the intake also looks pretty nice now.

These are the original blue silicone hoses Ford used on the interceptor Mustangs and they ended up being a hot mod for fashion conscience racers in the 90's. LMR sells something similar and they look pretty close. (link) Summit also has their own as do a few other suppliers, but the color is never right. This might all be for naught though if I don't find a radiator that has similar dimensions to the fox body though.

Also learned that the Volvo's transmission is red.

Tasks for this week after work:

- Measure the distance from the motor mount bolts to the shifter on the Volvo and Mustang's drivestrains.
- Update parts on-hand list in spreadsheet with part numbers, when relevant
- Inquire about having metal cut for the motor mount plates so I can add to the budget

I'd like to get the engine and transmission test-fitted as soon as possible. The motor mount plates don't have to be in there and I want to confirm the dimensions I got from Test Point anyway. I think I'll do a test run lowering just the motor into the Volvo, then if that goes well I'll add the bellhousing and transmission to see how it all gets along. Hopefully the weather cooperates and we can do this in January one of these weekends coming up. Should be a fairly quick process and I found the other engine hoist eyelet thing for the 302 so it'll be easier next time. Going to do it without the starter or accessories at first. Probably not the upper intake either, or I'll just set it on top since it still has the old gasket stuck to it then we can lay the hood down to confirm clearances.

Speaking of motor mounts, I saw this adjustable trans mount that summit sells and it could be useful in getting the T5 to connect to the Volvo's crossmember.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-770596/make/ford/model/mustang/year/1989

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Just wrapped up the weighing of the engines and transmissions from both the Volvo and Mustang. Anyone want to guess the combined weight of each? This includes bellhousing and an unknown amount of fluid in each.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Today was, as referenced above, weighing and fitting day. Got both engines/transmssions up on the hoist and then test fit the 302 in the Volvo.

All cleaned up and ready for another project.

Hit both of them with the pressure washer to get some of the gunk off. The 302 will definitely need to be blasted by the machine shop and then painted, it looks like hell.

The scale. It's cheap, but seems to have worked well enough.

Weight of the leveler by itself, so this is subtracted from each of the ones that use it (not the trans)

Volvo Time

And now for the 302

Had to put it on the ground to zero out the scale and take off the stand bracket

With the upper intake

And without it

Transmission

And with the bellhousing

Test Fit Time

Perfect Fit!

This thing will have to move, the back of the motor is already banging into it and that'll only get worse when the headers are installed.

Already pulled the cruise control, it was extremely in the way and it's busted anyway. Going to determine if the Mustang's cruise unit will work, or I'll have to figure out a way to hookup the Volvo's and replace the blown out spring unit.

I couldn't get it all the way in there without banging into things. Still need to pull stuff off the firewall and take off the crank pulley to get past the front crossmember where the radiator sits. I'm sure this will be even more fun with the transmission attached.

That's about it for today. Cleaned up some stuff and put most of the parts I don't need back in the Volvo to keep them safe. I'm beginning the parts ordering pretty soon here, just need to get through tax season to confirm I have some money left for this.

And the final numbers:

Volvo engine and transmission total weight: 507 lbs

Mustang engine and transmission total weight: 560 lbs

Mustang engine: 426 lbs
transmission: 80 lbs
bellhousing: 11 lbs
clutch and flywheel: 43 lbs

That's no accessories on the 302, while the PRV still has the power steering pump on it. So basically around sixty pounds if we're subtracting the PS pump, which is conveniently the weight savings you would get from aluminum heads. Once I get the motor torn down and figure out what cam is in there I'll decide if it's worth the extra money to get aluminum heads or not.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
i was going to guess 450 for a dressed 302 and 150 for a T5. i think the 302 is about accurate since you don't have any accessories on there, but i was pretty far off on the trans.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
The transmission difference is interesting, I would have guessed the Ford was more as well. I guess if you count the clutch then it's another twenty pounds or so and that pushes it up well beyond the Volvo's and with the flywheel plus bellhousing you're real close to 150lbs.

I'll definitely do another weighing right before we install the engine and transmission when they're both put together, plus gonna weigh the Volvo trans once I pull it off the engine. That'll be a true 1:1 comparison and I would guess it'll be 60-80 pounds heavier if not more. That is, assuming I don't find $1500 lying around for aluminum heads.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Sir Tonk posted:

And without it

:420: :420: :420:

For real though, this looks like a fun project! Good luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Bronco Update

Those bolts that broke off in the block were described as "not too hard" to get figured out by the shop, maybe a couple hundred for the job.

Then later that day I get a call and they want to pull the valve covers and both halves of the intake off because there isn't much room and they're concerned about shavings getting into the valley under the intake. It's going to be closer to $2000 now.

I don't really have much choice beyond dragging it around town trying to find a shop that'll do it for less and it's outside of my capabilities so had them go ahead with it.

Got it back on Tuesday and it seemed fine. Temp was rising again (I think I might have figured the previous issue out) and the heater worked well on the drive home.

Next morning I take the Bronco to work and notice a familiar smell, then this in the passenger footwell.

Also the windows are fogging up real bad, like all of them.

So yep, it's the heater core. And just a few weeks since I replaced the one in the Merc. I drive it home and park it in the garage then start looking around for decent quality replacements and get a new one ordered, plus a vapor canister just in case the original has worn out by now. It'll be here in a week or so and it's back to the CTS for the time being. Oh and I was droppoing off the Merc when I picked up the Bronco. The horn relay was buzzing again and they fixed it once so was going to have them check it out for no cost when, of course, the horn started working fine again. Either way, I needed to get it inspected so just left it there and asked them to check on the relay and also the u-joints to help determine why it's shaking on the highway. I'll be dropping by tomorrow on the way to work to see what the situation is.

In more positive news, I got a new spring compressor that should work a bit better with the coilovers in the CTS and the Volvo. I'd love to get one of those large ones that looks like a drill press, but they're a bit much and I don't do this kind of work often enough to justify it. Hopefully this thing works out well. It's the one harbor freight's is based on and its quite heavy for its size. Can't possibly be as annoying to deal with as those cheap compressors that you can get for no money at any parts shop. They're ok with older cars where the springs are next to the shocks, but they're useless with coilovers.

Got it because I'm going to try again with the CTS front end. Found the next step up front struts from GM and also the bump stops, the ones in there are chewed up and probably contributing to the problem. Once it warms up a bit I'll tear into the front end hopefully for the last time.