Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
The same could be said of Facebook or any other social media app. Its there because people find it useful even with as bad as Musk's bungled it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I deleted my Twitter account in November and haven't looked back. I'll still look at tweets when they get posted and stuff but honestly it's been such a boon for my mental health that I can't help but highly recommend it.

Seriously, you're not missing much if you already post here.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Soul Dentist posted:

It's brain worms, although everybody still on it says it's "an irreplaceable news source" or some sort of community

Yeah, people are addicted and don’t want to give up a decade of followers no matter who owns the joint. Worst are the slacktivists who think they are owning elon by sticking around. Like someone describing a plan to stick it to Disney by buying a season pass ironically.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Twitter is still useful as a source of cute animal pictures and news about rocket launches.

https://twitter.com/shouldhaveanima/status/1664657648724381696

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Imgur is full of cute animal pictures, and they can be posted in galleries of more than a handful of pictures! Plus its user base is way more progressive.

Don't think I've ever seen anything even remotely conservative pop up on its main feed.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Handsome Ralph posted:

I deleted my Twitter account in November and haven't looked back. I'll still look at tweets when they get posted and stuff but honestly it's been such a boon for my mental health that I can't help but highly recommend it.

Seriously, you're not missing much if you already post here.

I deleted mine, but its still popular as a news aggregator.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Twitter will remain popular here as long as anyone can copy a link to some news source's farted-out tweet and it embeds here without further effort. The lack of friction helps, imagine if you had to actually copy and paste article text or (god forbid) deal with a paywall.

It sucks but it makes it easier to discuss poo poo off twitter at least.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
I helped someone realize that they might have epilepsy and need to go see a neurologist. Without Twitter this person and I would have never crossed paths.

Then again, 3 days ago someone stated their intent to post in a manner specifically aiming to cause seizures, so land of contrasts and all that.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Mustang posted:

Why do people insist on continuing to use Twitter despite the fact that it's ran by a transphobic fascist?

He's been running it into the ground for over half a year now.

Why do you drive a car despite the fact that every product invovled is run by transphobic fascists and other monsterous interests to boot? Because oftentimes there isn't a very effective alternative that fills the exact same role. In Twitter's case there isn't a webforum that has the same kind of reach and buy-in from corporate and mainstream america that twitter has, imo.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 2, 2023

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Zamujasa posted:

Is every bug you find this month a june bug? :thunk:

It's not a june bug, it's a june feature :ssh:

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Zamujasa posted:

Twitter will remain popular here as long as anyone can copy a link to some news source's farted-out tweet and it embeds here without further effort. The lack of friction helps, imagine if you had to actually copy and paste article text or (god forbid) deal with a paywall.

It’s the lack of friction. I know the TECH forum had a thread about Mastodon and it was not something that was seamless to implement.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

As I was saying, it didn't pass the smell test.

I am glad that someone in a leadership position is cognizant of the brittle nature of programs and is working to account for that in the systems they're developing.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

facialimpediment posted:

There was some dumb Daily Wire "What is a Woman?" transphobic documentary that twitter blocked them from posting, then Elon came back from China and unblocked it and yammered about streisand effect (and unmarked a Chinese news service as government media). Likely finally had enough.

naw

https://twitter.com/ZoeSchiffer/status/1664664804018061317?s=20

and a second Trust & Safety executive has left the building

https://twitter.com/Sayter/status/1664669142878650379?s=20

Zamujasa posted:

it's this

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Mustang posted:

Why do people insist on continuing to use Twitter despite the fact that it's ran by a transphobic fascist?

I remember reading somewhere about it still being popular with sex workers since so many other sites have clamped down on it. But gently caress if i know how legit that is.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Mustang posted:

citybeatnik posted:

I remember reading somewhere about it still being popular with sex workers since so many other sites have clamped down on it. But gently caress if i know how legit that is.

Freelance artists also rely on it a lot because it's one of the easiest/cheapest platforms to be able to make their work visible outside of their circle of acquaintances. Almost all of my partner's business (people finding her for contracts, finding her patreon or buying stuff from her store) comes from Twitter with a very small contribution from Tumblr.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Mustang posted:

I never used it when it was the playground of the terminally online left, definitely not using it now that it’s the terminally online rights playground.

Elmo being “transphobic” for whatever the gently caress that amounts to in 2023, means nothing to me. It being Twitter is all I need to know in order to know that I don’t need to use it. Elong buying in with Saudi Sovereign Wealth money is just gilding the loving lily and putting a red neon sign that says DO NOT USE on it.

Twitter, much like Reddit and 4chan, is the poop.

Never touch the poop.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://twitter.com/MikeSington/status/1664785123517120513

Finally.

I wonder how big of a golden parachute this absolute loser will end up getting.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

golden bubble posted:

Finally.

I wonder how big of a golden parachute this absolute loser will end up getting.

He's not really gone yet:

https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/1664799653626544128?t=y34X6cZAgi-JEeXdealrFw&s=19

Bottom line: Licht is one of those Dipshit Centrists who can't possibly see how his opinions could possibly be wrong. So he invited The Atlantic in for a long profile and surprise, he's a dipshit, and now all the CNN underlings know it.

It's hard to know if Licht pitched the new CNN turn to Zaslav (discovery boss, also a dipshit), but it's sucking enough that Leavy is co-CEOing with him, rather than it being a firing/demotion/etc.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Another thing to keep in mind is that while Licht is definitely a "My Views are in the Center and Therefore Right" guy, Zaslav is much more embedded in the conservative environment and was likely happy to use Licht as a pawn / scapegoat to insert more conservative voices & rhetoric in the name of 'centrism'. Now that Licht's served his purpose, we'll see what the next phase brings.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

In addition to being terrible, Licht is also incredibly stupid. Repeated interviews and press releases confirm he really believes that he can get dedicated fox news viewers to watch CNN by doing some "both sides" reporting, and zero old CNN viewers will resent the increase in pro-Trump pandering. Even if you didn't care about equality, democracy, or human rights, you'd think someone would have gotten rid of Licht for being a massive dumbass.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

golden bubble posted:

In addition to being terrible, Licht is also incredibly stupid. Repeated interviews and press releases confirm he really believes that he can get dedicated fox news viewers to watch CNN by doing some "both sides" reporting, and zero old CNN viewers will resent the increase in pro-Trump pandering. Even if you didn't care about equality, democracy, or human rights, you'd think someone would have gotten rid of Licht for being a massive dumbass.

considering the number of massive dumbasses that also happen to be CEOs, one could argue that it is the natural state of being a CEO

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Their job is not to be smart to be confident and it's something they actually excel at

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
is that why it's called a confidence scam? :dadjoke:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Zamujasa posted:

is that why it's called a confidence scam? :dadjoke:

Unironically yes. The con man induces the victim to have confidence in, ie trust, him.

You have to show confidence to earn someone's trust.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Tara Reade takes any credibility she might have had and sets it ablaze with a molotov cocktail:
https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1664959992225493001

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/TheTNHoller/status/1664864397771120642

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
While that certainly is very normal news, I feel like it can't come even close to the biggest event of June.

"In 2023, the Calcio Storico games are definitely back to normal. The dates of the semi-final matches are to be June 10 and 11th."

I love the wiki page for these games:
"During the early decades, in order to encourage wagering and achieve a bettable winner, there were times when bulls would be ushered into the ring in hopes of adding confusion and inciting victory."

"The modern version of calcio has not changed much from its historical roots, which allow tactics such as head-butting, punching, elbowing, and choking. However, due to often fatal injuries, sucker punches and kicks to the head are currently banned."

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

Tara Reade takes any credibility she might have had and sets it ablaze with a molotov cocktail:

Seems like Putin's playbook is to get desperate people who are only remotely memorable and then pay them off to reside in Russia and criticize US policy. Steven Seagal and Snowden probably among others.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Suicide Watch posted:

Seems like Putin's playbook is to get desperate people who are only remotely memorable and then pay them off to reside in Russia and criticize US policy. Steven Seagal and Snowden probably among others.

I wonder if Roy Jones Junior has said anything pro Russia yet. I know he has dual citizenship. I don’t think he has the same legal issues as Snowden and Seagal though.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

CBJSprague24 posted:

Forgive my ignorance, but I'm kinda lost here, this is the lady that accused Biden of being a sex pest, right? Then no one else came forward and it pretty much fizzled out? Now she's in Russia for some ungodly reason? Is she notable for other reasons? Is she running from the law (she mentions Interpol)?

Or did she just leave to go hang out with her boss?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

No you have understood it fully. The allegation was a sexual assault so more than sex pesting harassment

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Wonder what Snowden’s legacy would have been if he’d stuck around for a trial & life sentence. Probably slightly better than becoming another useful idiot for a regime actively putting civilians into mass graves.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

SerthVarnee posted:

While that certainly is very normal news, I feel like it can't come even close to the biggest event of June.

"In 2023, the Calcio Storico games are definitely back to normal. The dates of the semi-final matches are to be June 10 and 11th."

I love the wiki page for these games:
"During the early decades, in order to encourage wagering and achieve a bettable winner, there were times when bulls would be ushered into the ring in hopes of adding confusion and inciting victory."

"The modern version of calcio has not changed much from its historical roots, which allow tactics such as head-butting, punching, elbowing, and choking. However, due to often fatal injuries, sucker punches and kicks to the head are currently banned."

I was introduced to this during the pandemic and :tviv:.

If you've never seen it, do yourself a favor and look it up on youtube. It's like football, but if the linemen were allowed to beat the poo poo out of each other and with a Medieval Times pregame show.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Elviscat posted:

Forgive my ignorance, but I'm kinda lost here, this is the lady that accused Biden of being a sex pest, right? Then no one else came forward and it pretty much fizzled out? Now she's in Russia for some ungodly reason? Is she notable for other reasons? Is she running from the law (she mentions Interpol)?

Yeah hard to say whats going on, but it certainly raises a lot of questions. Would foreign intelligence agencies tap into the #MeToo movement to try and shape politics in an adversarial nation? Probably. Not enough information here to make any kind of determination, but its troubling.

Perhaps the worst aspect of this whole development is that people who didn't want to believe that "their team/guy/candidate" could be guilty of sexual assault will cling to this example as a basis for discrediting future edge cases involving high profile individuals.

The timing of all this seems particularly bizarre if its part of any kind of Russian operation. It's not clear why Tara Reade would flee the USA now as opposed to any other time in the past. She hints at a possible warrant surfacing but I have no idea what that could be connected to. She could just be an victim who is scared because she accused a powerful (perhaps currently the most powerful) person in the USA of a crime, and fled to where she thinks its safe.

Her talking about the war is a very bad look, however. Her attorney also dropped her as a client but states that its not related to the veracity of her claim

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 3, 2023

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Elviscat posted:

The charitable reading of all this is that she's a traumatized woman who's been manipulated by very loathsome people into becoming a Russian propagandist.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Grip it and rip it posted:

Yeah hard to say whats going on, but it certainly raises a lot of questions. Would foreign intelligence agencies tap into the #MeToo movement to try and shape politics in an adversarial nation? Probably. Not enough information here to make any kind of determination, but its troubling.

100%. If all you needed was to shave a few points off a leader's votes, this seems like a gimme.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The charitable reading of all this is that she's a traumatized woman who's been manipulated by very loathsome people into becoming a Russian propagandist.

That's pretty much where I fall.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1665086349483835392?s=20

Trump is gonna eat his lunch and destroy him

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
How does he not realize how loving ridiculous he sounds? You can tell he never leaves his terminally online right wing bubble.

Right now I think while a lot of Americans know who DeSantis is they don't actually know much about him. As the election gets closer and they get to see more and more unhinged poo poo like this I think he's going to crater. While this might work for GOP primary voters there's no way in hell it will work during the general election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

That is the stupidest, most cringey attempt to use Churchill's speech I have heard in my life. I would be embarrassed for any normal person.