Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!
I had a hybrid summon/ bone spear necromancer and was fine with it until tier 4 when there was a big drop off in damage and survivability. I switched to the meta bone spear build, sacrificed everyone except reapers, and essence generation actually improved.
Having the ring that auto casts corpse explosion was a big help I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Jimbot posted:

I'd recommend shifting goals and aim for getting the battle pass to 75 so you can get the hat with a fabulous feather in it. Every game needs to have hats with feathers in it.

That’s still 34 BP levels away so I didn’t have very high hopes of reaching it. I was happy to reach the boots and gloves though, those are pretty cool.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

runchild posted:

The fact that they aren’t crap is kind of the problem, since my current gear isn’t sacred and neither are the majority of the new legendaries that are dropping (which I still think is weird). I was just looking for advice on prioritizing affixes or whatever.

Ok so if you are in WT3, here's a rough gearing plan (ignoring aspects and uniques since you're specifically asking about comparing stats on rares):

1. Know what stats you need in each slot. Generally you'll have chest, legs and boots with mostly defensive stats, offensive stats everywhere else. Check to see if pants can roll +levels of a skill that's important to your build. Even if you're not following a build guide, looking at one to see what stats are good for each slot will help you learn about gearing

2. Only pick up sacred rares in WT3. If an item has 2+ stats you need, equip it. Once you have a sacred item equipped, salvage everything else that drops for that slot while in WT3. The only exception here is your weapon, keep equipping anything with a bigger DPS number. Your goal is to get to WT4 as quickly as possible, you will be replacing all the gear you get in WT3

3. In WT4, start this process over again but with Ancestrals instead of sacred. Keep checking rares until you have an item power 870 or better in every slot with 3+ of the affixes you need (usually dropped with 2 and then a third rerolled). I generally don't start using the materials for rerolls until items close to 900 item power. As with the previous world tier, weapon DPS matters a lot so you will be constantly checking for upgrades until you have a well-rolled 925 weapon. This is pretty easy though, when you sort your inventory it arranges by item power so you can just auto salvage anything lower power than what you have equipped very quickly

4. You can do everything in the game with 3/4 affix 870+ gear, assuming a decent build. So at this point you can just stop picking up loot altogether if you want. If you continue to chase upgrades, just be aware that you're now looking for drops with 3 affixes of the 4 that you need, generally drawing from a pool of 25-30. At this point the odds of getting an upgrade are so low that, if comparing rares already pisses you off, it's just not worth it.

Of course, with this strategy you will miss some upgrades. However, it's how I play the game and I think the time and tedium saved is well worth that small risk. I've had no problem completing the season journey every time with this strategy. I worked out the odds of getting a natural 3/4 drop and decided it just wasn't worth making the game significantly less fun.

runchild posted:

Lvl 60 boney necromancer. I’ve mainly been looking out for gear with crit chance, crit damage, and intelligence, though I guess I should get more dexterity for crits. And I like the idea of thorns but I don’t think it’s working great. I don’t feel like sacrificing my boney buddies even though that’s supposed to be optimal (also I really like cold mages freezing enemies and refilling my essence).

My goal is to play the game and make number go up :shrug: I guess my goal for the season is to do some fun content that’s gonna vanish soon.

Yes to crit and intelligence, don't worry about dexterity (your main stat is almost always more damage) and you're right to doubt the effectiveness of thorns. If you're looking for specific priorities for each slot then let me know and I can go into more detail

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

runchild posted:

That’s still 34 BP levels away so I didn’t have very high hopes of reaching it. I was happy to reach the boots and gloves though, those are pretty cool.

Once you get to WT4 the battle pass goes super quick. I was knocking out at least 1 level of it per Tier 35 nightmare Vault. Just keep on truckin' and making number go up and you'll hit 90 before the season ends easily.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Season 4 / PTR feedback livestream on May 2

https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/diablo4/24077225/tune-in-to-our-next-developer-update

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Should I start in WT 1 or 2? In previous Diablos enemies are too weak at first but eventually ramp up and I don’t want to get stuck later on.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

If you've played previous Diablos at all, yeah start on wt2

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
You can also always reduce or increase the world tier whenever you want. I forget if it resets a dungeon's progress. But you shouldn't sweat that.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
If you haven't played before and grabbed the boosts from the first 3 tiers of renown in each zone + the altars of lilith, WT2 will possibly be a bit slow going even with the xp buff due to the time taken to clear content, kill bosses, and dying to corpse archers 2 screens away etc. At launch it was still generally considered to be more efficient xp/hr to do WT1, especially if you were playing a slower class like barb, druid or in some circumstances necro.

See how you go, but if you're finding bosses or even packs of dungeon elites are taking more than a few seconds to kill, it's probably better to switch to WT1 until you can grab those extra skill points and stats from the renown+lilith statues. Once you've knocked that out, you're basically starting with a level 12 character against level 1 mobs, and you should be able to breeze through even in WT2 as long as you don't enter a zone or stronghold that's more than 4-5 levels too high for you.

Can't stress enough the value of those extra skill and stat points for a speedy run to level cap, and you literally can't finish an endgame build without those extra points.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Just started playing this on Xbox thanks to gamepass, and I’m levelling up a blood necro. As a new player there’s a bunch of stuff that never really gets explained like the 10 different types of glyphs and stones and chests and whatever the gently caress, but there’s one thing I can’t find an answer to anywhere.

Why do some necro corpses have a red vertical blood trail radiating upwards? Some people were speculating it’s the corpse you have selected with the controller, but that’s more of a highlight and I can see it moving as I move the stick. So what on earth does the vertical blood trail mean? Feels like I’m missing something really obvious!

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Haven't played Necro in months, but I think the blood trail just means it's a useable corpse. Like it's still available to use skills on.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

I just opened the game to take a good look and the conclusion I came to is that all useable corpse have the red mini-beacon, but because there’s variance in the effect it sometimes looks like some have it and some of them don’t. And they exist for the sake of visual clarity, though to be honest they don’t make a huge difference with all the stuff that goes on on screen, especially with a full crew of skelebuddies. But hey, better than nothing.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Just finished the altars. What a boring faff but done now

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

runchild posted:

I just opened the game to take a good look and the conclusion I came to is that all useable corpse have the red mini-beacon, but because there’s variance in the effect it sometimes looks like some have it and some of them don’t. And they exist for the sake of visual clarity, though to be honest they don’t make a huge difference with all the stuff that goes on on screen, especially with a full crew of skelebuddies. But hey, better than nothing.

Yeah okay fair enough. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything obvious - like I said the console interface feels like it's missing a lot of info since there aren't really any obvious tooltips.

One more question: playing hardcore I picked up a couple of escape scrolls or something. I assume these are supposed to be emergency ripcord buttons to cheat death, but how the gently caress are you supposed to use them with a controller? If I'm about to die on hardcore, am I really supposed to open my character window, switch to the consumables tab, navigate through the elixirs, find the scroll and then use it? That seems ... less than ideal?

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

webmeister posted:

Yeah okay fair enough. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything obvious - like I said the console interface feels like it's missing a lot of info since there aren't really any obvious tooltips.

One more question: playing hardcore I picked up a couple of escape scrolls or something. I assume these are supposed to be emergency ripcord buttons to cheat death, but how the gently caress are you supposed to use them with a controller? If I'm about to die on hardcore, am I really supposed to open my character window, switch to the consumables tab, navigate through the elixirs, find the scroll and then use it? That seems ... less than ideal?

Can you assign it where your emotes go?

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

webmeister posted:

The Hausu Usher posted:

Can you assign it where your emotes go?

Yep, that's what you have to do. Put it in an easy to hit direction on the first shortcut radial menu.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
yeah, i think up is the default button to bring it up so i always bind it to up on the emote wheel so you can mash up and A/X and get teleported out. i make down on the d pass the normal teleport out because that's good to have quick access to as well

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Betjeman posted:

Just finished the altars. What a boring faff but done now

When the game launched, they intended these to be done every season lol

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
They really leant into that very small but extremely vocal group of D2 grognards that see any QoL improvement over LoD to be a bridge too far.

Thankfully they seemed to have shuffled a bunch of the D3 season designers over now it's basically in maintenance mode, and some great decisions are being made by the looks.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Finally beat Beast in Ice. No Hellhammer, but now I'm running around with Fists of Fate and Ring of the Ravenous. Won't stick with them long-term but they're fun enough for the next few levels. Supposedly Ring of Ravenous messes with the stacks for Earthstriker somehow so I'll replace it when I get a 925+ ring to drop.

Gonna get a couple more levels and then try Zir.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
the ring being weird is a good thing. if you use DWv weapons for your basic attack and hammer for your charge, it gives you tons more weapon swaps to build OP charges because it always counts for using 2H sword for the rend effect. iirc i still use that ring for that reason alone

e: though if you're doing upheaval or hota without a basic, it has less utility because you're not as focused on that weapon swap i don't think. idk i use WW + charge only so it's real good for that setup

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Apr 27, 2024

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Yeah I swapped my basic back in to fight the Beast and have kept it for now. Got my dual weapons for that, 2H Slash for Charge and 2H Bludge for HotA.

The maxroll guide says the Rend from the ring could use up Earthstriker charges before you get the big bonk from HotA, but I'm bad at keeping track of my weapon swaps anyway. Plus with Fists of Fate it doesn't really matter since it could be huge or tiny anyway.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

External Organs posted:

When the game launched, they intended these to be done every season lol

Lol I've still got a area to do

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

How do I spot them anyway? Just keep my eyes open for a red glow where one shouldn't be?

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

The Lone Badger posted:

How do I spot them anyway? Just keep my eyes open for a red glow where one shouldn't be?

Pretty much. Most of them are around the borders of areas, but some are in little alcoves or trees in the middle of a zone. And there's a few in the PvP zones.

They're annoying to find so that's why everyone says to just use a map. Which I'll also say: Just use a map. I did it area by area when I was doing Helltides / Whispers, but you can also just get on your horse and get them all in like an hour if you don't get sidetracked.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

The Lone Badger posted:

you open an "interactive map" on your second monitor, turn the difficulty to wt1 and begrudgingly sleepwalk to them all

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tonetta posted:

you open an "interactive map" on your second monitor, turn the difficulty to wt1 and begrudgingly sleepwalk to them all

This but you don’t need to change the world map. It also let me pick up a bunch of side quests along the way.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Tonetta posted:

Oh I had assumed the map was random.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

Oh I had assumed the map was random.

Oh god that would be terrible.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Most of them are on little peninsulas on the map (before I found the online guide this was how I was trying to find them). But some of them are well hidden so even knowing exactly where they are they're still difficult to see. Also a lot of them are placed awkwardly so you have to get off the horse to click them. A guide is really the only sane way to get them all.

This is on ps5, I imagine the pc experience is a bit easier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

They were not fun to do and the only good part, getting you out to see weird areas of the overworld, has mostly been replaced with seasonal moving zone events.