Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I never had a problem with it either but I guess I'm in the minority on that one. I liked being able to see some more graphical details in an aarpg for a change, it's cool seeing those big headed things die and then smash there heads into the ground to release the flies that were in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I finally killed a treasure goblin! I got the little bugger trapped up against a cliff and my skellies had it surrounded. And then another treasure goblin came running across the screen and for a minute or two there were some Benny Hill antics as I tried to focus fire whichever one was closer to dying. I eventually smushed one of them but the other got away.

EDIT: Not only did I just kill another treasure goblin I've picked up a legendary that poops out little mines all over the place that explode when I touch them, so now the screen is just constantly filled with explosions and dying creeps.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 30, 2024

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

~Coxy posted:

D3 can have network lag but it definitely doesn't have the awful rubberbanding around zone transitions like DIV does.

It feels different for sure, yeah, but in my head I just mark it all down to "lag." If everything just stopped in D4 like the other ones I wonder if people wouldn't mind as much. Like I know if I go to socket a gem in PoE and it doesn't take right away just to wait. Same with the rubber banding in D4. I try dodging and if the animation doesn't fully play, I just wait. (Or run away spamming potions if I was fighting something.) But something about being able to still move around a little makes it more annoying.

Mr Scumbag posted:

Reading this thread for as long as I have, you all seem like an abused spouse.

"Maybe it will be different this time"

:ok:

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Someone who doesn't have a problem with the zoom is severely sick in the head or an apologist for garbage,

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

~Coxy posted:

D3 can have network lag but it definitely doesn't have the awful rubberbanding around zone transitions like DIV does.

Yeah that’s definitely not a thing in any of the games they mentioned, never mind a reality for everything online

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Yeah that’s definitely not a thing in any of the games they mentioned, never mind a reality for everything online

Please show me an online game that doesn't suffer from lag spikes. I'll wait.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Yeah that's not a thing, I did find most of it cured by turning off cross play though, on pc.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Mr Scumbag posted:

Reading this thread for as long as I have, you all seem like an abused spouse.

"Maybe it will be different this time"

thank you insane hate read guy

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007

flashman posted:

Someone who doesn't have a problem with the zoom is severely sick in the head or an apologist for garbage,

Zoom doesn't matter when there's very little incentive for exploration and all you're doing is following your GPS path to the next objective.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Gonna be casting my spells at groups of monsters at optimal distances, looking at u frozen orb

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Paying2Lurk posted:

Please show me an online game that doesn't suffer from lag spikes. I'll wait.

The zone transition issue isn’t a lag spike

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007
True, zooming out would allow you to aggro that same explodey spider dude you've been fighting since level 1 a little differently.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Tiny Timbs posted:

The zone transition issue isn’t a lag spike

So you can't. Got it. Moving on.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

drat, I’ve been chastened

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Lol Bros it's 2024 online games arent generally warping you around like this thing especially games where there's like ten people at once max lol

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

An Actual Princess posted:

i never once noticed or cared about the zoom level in d4. jealous?

no lol

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

flashman posted:

Lol Bros it's 2024 online games arent generally warping you around like this thing especially games where there's like ten people at once max lol

if they add 2 more stash tabs the console players will crash out

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
what's the odds that they remove the aspect-storing tab now that they've moved them all to the codex instead of allowing for more storage?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

drat, Game Pass and Battlenet working together are full on garbage fire.

Trying to get this thing to consistently update and run are like pulling teeth.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

flashman posted:

poe at league start etc does when theres only you on screen :cheeky:

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god

flashman posted:

Or playing it on a big television. I would very much want to zoom out if I were on pc tho.

My old, tired rear end likes to slump on the sofa with an Xbox now. I find it really hard to want to play on my gaming pc as it’s in my home office. When my work is done for the day I want to leave that room, shut the door and not go back in until the morning.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
My main complaint is a shortage of demon tiddies.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Deptfordx posted:

drat, Game Pass and Battlenet working together are full on garbage fire.

Trying to get this thing to consistently update and run are like pulling teeth.

Yeah I spun this up this morning to give it a whirl and had the same problem. Eventually sorted it by deleting the Blizzard folder under ProgramData and then poo poo updated/synced up properly.

Anyway campaign seems fun enough so far from the little bit I've mucked around with, running around shooting out shadow globs with my skeleton murder ball is nice. Probably need to bump up to WT2 though when/if I next sit down to play this.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Been playing the last few days and I haven't seen any lag. Game is pretty decent, and worth playing for the Gamepass price at least.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

ClydeFrog posted:

Or playing it on a big television. I would very much want to zoom out if I were on pc tho.

My old, tired rear end likes to slump on the sofa with an Xbox now. I find it really hard to want to play on my gaming pc as it’s in my home office. When my work is done for the day I want to leave that room, shut the door and not go back in until the morning.

Fair enough there

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Lol the gamepass > battlenet integration has completely bricked the Xbox app on my PC, ironically making Diablo IV the only gamepass game I can play now.

App boots up fine on my GF's profile on my PC and my profile on hers, and it's apparently happening to a lot of people according to a random Reddit post I found.

Most likely affects people who already had battle.net installed before "installing" DIV.

Hopefully it'll get patched because even resetting and repairing the app didn't fix it.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

preferring to be a moron who can't ignore little things and just be happy ....... says a lot about the games forum as a whole, no?

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
This thread delivers the entertainment.

Hyped for ptr this week so i can be lvl100 and get the endgame season 4 experience without even playing season 4

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
The PTR boost is a great idea. If they keep that going we should have a much deeper understanding of the endgame meta, as it'll give the maxroll and similar theory crafting folks a lot more opportunities to try weird and unconventional builds without having to level characters to 100 first.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007

Don Dongington posted:

The PTR boost is a great idea. If they keep that going we should have a much deeper understanding of the endgame meta, as it'll give the maxroll and similar theory crafting folks a lot more opportunities to try weird and unconventional builds without having to level characters to 100 first.

I genuinely cant tell if this is sarcasm.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
what part of that post do you think is sarcastic

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I think it's due to the fact that half of the Goon Diablo fan base think build guides are for smooth-brained morons who can't sum 2+2, and that if people experiment it'll make the game richer; while the other half can't wrap our brains around why someone would not want to take advantage of the knowledge provided by an army of YouTube-funded auteurs to and spend more time killing rooms and looting gear.

I'm in the latter camp, for clarity.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Diablo 3 had PTR periods ahead of each new season and they only made the final product better, catching bugs and exploits that would have otherwise gone live. In most cases, set/item reworks were always tuned up instead of down due to feedback. The only way I could see anyone being anti-PTR in Diablo 4 (a thing I didn't even know existed until this thread) would be if you just love buggy patch days and/or don't trust Blizzard to leave fun OP stuff in the game.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Don Dongington posted:

I think it's due to the fact that half of the Goon Diablo fan base think build guides are for smooth-brained morons who can't sum 2+2, and that if people experiment it'll make the game richer; while the other half can't wrap our brains around why someone would not want to take advantage of the knowledge provided by an army of YouTube-funded auteurs to and spend more time killing rooms and looting gear.

I'm in the latter camp, for clarity.

that's a pretty reductive take on why people do or don't follow build guides.

I ignore build guides because it adds longevity to the game. I don't really like having someone basically play the game for me.

e - I don't always ignore build guides, but the only time I really use one is when I'm out of things I wanted to try for myself first, so usually an end of season type character.

wemgo posted:

I genuinely cant tell if this is sarcasm.

it's just someone who's unaware that the tools already exist offsite to theorycraft, I think

Tonetta fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Mar 31, 2024

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I'm having a second surgery that isn't dangerous but its going to make me a couch gamer for a few weeks. How playable is D4 with a controller? Will it just frustrate me since I've been using a mouse+keyboard since Diablo 1 or does it work well?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Node posted:

I'm having a second surgery that isn't dangerous but its going to make me a couch gamer for a few weeks. How playable is D4 with a controller? Will it just frustrate me since I've been using a mouse+keyboard since Diablo 1 or does it work well?

nearly flawless, the only even remotely annoying bit is mass inventory management but that's something you shouldn't be doing anyway so

(one of the most pro bits of controller support is the way it handles builders and spenders, try mapping your basic and core skills to r2/l2 and hold them both down at the same time, experience the glory of saving your hands from rsi while killing everything)

(it also vibrates gently when you get near the *edge* of Bad on the ground, actual haptic cheats)

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Node posted:

Things that require aim kinda suck but everything else is fine. Like back at launch I started off running a penetrating shot rogue and got tired of the times I'd fire suboptimal shots because of positioning or whatever. Switched to flurry so I could just run to where I needed to be to maximize effect and that worked great. Similar experience with the barbarian where I found deathblow to be kinda finicky in a tedious way and switched to a hota build at which point I had nearly 0 issues.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

victrix posted:

nearly flawless, the only even remotely annoying bit is mass inventory management but that's something you shouldn't be doing anyway so

(one of the most pro bits of controller support is the way it handles builders and spenders, try mapping your basic and core skills to r2/l2 and hold them both down at the same time, experience the glory of saving your hands from rsi while killing everything)

(it also vibrates gently when you get near the *edge* of Bad on the ground, actual haptic cheats)

Failboattootoot posted:

Things that require aim kinda suck but everything else is fine. Like back at launch I started off running a penetrating shot rogue and got tired of the times I'd fire suboptimal shots because of positioning or whatever. Switched to flurry so I could just run to where I needed to be to maximize effect and that worked great. Similar experience with the barbarian where I found deathblow to be kinda finicky in a tedious way and switched to a hota build at which point I had nearly 0 issues.

Thanks, thats good to know. Is there a class that doesn't rely as much on aim as others? I've already played necromancer.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I’ve done two necros, ball lightning sorc, and shooty rogue to high 90s or 100 with controller and it’s been fine. As long as you’re ok not having perfect control of your teleport locations. I have still been using kb+m for inventory stuff but it is doable with controller. Probably the best support for it I’ve seen in an arpg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Tonetta posted:

I ignore build guides because it adds longevity to the game. I don't really like having someone basically play the game for me.
I used to believe the same, and then I tried a s2 ball sorcerer build and never looked back.

victrix posted:

The only drawback to this is that you have to remap the use button to something different than your builder, which means one less power you can map.

There's also a setting that changes powers to toggle instead of hold, and it's great most of the time but there are a few powers where it gets weird or you have to double tap and it kind of ruins it.