Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I picked this up on sale having not played any Diablo since I think 2. I tested a necromancer, a rogue and a sorcerer and decided to go with the necromancer because I like having some company in a single player game. I'm up to around L17 pursuing the main quest only and the occasional event out in the world and so far I'm enjoying it. The graphics and sound are excellent, voice work is good and the cosmetics system is easy to use and has my necro looking pretty cool.

What I don't like is that I've been jumped by the Butcher twice now in the span of two hours, the second time while I was going through my first dungeon to pick up a necro aspect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I had to look up what AARPG means. :kiddo:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I've played necromancer is a few different games now and it's always amusing to me to see my character rolling through a town with their posse of disgusting dead things.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

Put Elden Ring on your steam wish list. They definitely wanted to widen the audience so it can be one of the easier soulslikes. One of the mechanics can act as a difficulty slider.

It's very long though.

I've never played a Souls game because they looked super grim and depressing, and probably beyond my skill level.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I was going through a castle and a large elite and a bunch of his smaller buddies rampaged out of a door. After I smushed them I passed through the door and into a space only about the size of an elevator, so I'm beginning to understand why everything is this game is so hostile.

It also struck me how bad the Diablo game world must smell. Nothing but acres of blood and entrails slathered mud.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I finished the necro quest to get the golem skill but I'm finding the husky fellow underwhelming to the point where I'm considering setting him to sacrifice in favor of getting my ohshit mist skill back.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I tried to do a stronghold so I could get the second level of renown rewards and I was maybe halfway through before I succumbed to the onslaught of tough elites. It was only after I checked the map that I realized that I was tackling at L45 stronghold at L25. So... guess I'll come back later!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I've seen a couple of other players in the starter town, but I don't think I've seen any anywhere else. Is that normal during the campaign? I noticed that a "legion" event was starting but when I checked it out there was no one else around so I bailed.

The one time I thought I saw a player roaming the countryside it turned out to be an NPC hunter, which was sort of cool. Pretty dangerous out there for normal folks.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

This game definitely has some gnarly fights. Makes me glad I worked on my renown so I have a couple more potions.

EDIT: After the campaign what are you supposed to do? Roam the open world and kill world bosses?

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 27, 2024

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Thank you for all the advice! I appreciate it.

I've been aiming to get to rank 2 of renown for each area while going through the campaign but I expect I'll be going back afterward to grab all those side quests, strongholds, etc. I'm using a map website to track which statues and waypoints I've collected so it'll be easy to see which ones are left when I finish the campaign.

I just got a free horse but riding it has been underwhelming because the countryside is seething with monsters so I constantly have to sprint and route around them. I'm fine for now with just running around.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I finally killed a treasure goblin! I got the little bugger trapped up against a cliff and my skellies had it surrounded. And then another treasure goblin came running across the screen and for a minute or two there were some Benny Hill antics as I tried to focus fire whichever one was closer to dying. I eventually smushed one of them but the other got away.

EDIT: Not only did I just kill another treasure goblin I've picked up a legendary that poops out little mines all over the place that explode when I touch them, so now the screen is just constantly filled with explosions and dying creeps.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 30, 2024

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Sometimes these battles are such furballs that I don't realize that something is taking big bites out of my health until it's almost too late. Its gotten worse thanks to my beloved Overpower triggered Exploding Balls of Fun because the screen is usually full of explosions and creeps dying and poo poo flying all over the place.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'll give them credit for the system design: I have resisted my usually overpowering urge to play multiple alts at the same time.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'm not sure how much of the campaign is left but now that I'm officially in Hell my skeleton crew is starting to fall behind in damage output. They're not too squishy, but it's taking significantly longer for me to deal with boss type monsters, especially the big blobby meatbag who puked poison all over the place. Can't recall his name. My beloved cluster bombs are still good against basic creeps but are also not getting it done with the higher level enemies. I haven't been diligent with replacing my equipment because it's difficult to find worthwhile new stuff to imprint extracted aspects from my current gear, but perhaps it's time to just go with whatever I can find.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I feel like the people who make that series don't understand what the word "final" means.
:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I finished the campaign but aren't sure if there's anything campaign-like left for me. I visited the Tree and saw that there are kill quests, but since I mostly like following stories are there any of those left?

EDIT: Since I'm not a big ARPG fan maybe I'm just done, but that's ok. I enjoyed it.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Apr 11, 2024