Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Respecs should be more expensive. No, every character should be locked in. No respeccing.

Compulsively refreshing the thread all weekend to get the real poop on how secretly bad this game was all along.

Have fun clicking monsters tonight thread, I'll see ya next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Why would I torture cows when I can torture chickens?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I tried to play the videogame immediately but I had to wait 20 minutes and are you familiar with the greatest tragedies in human history because we are joining their ranks.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Hahaha, don't be silly. Diablo 3 came out a few years ago, with Diablo 2 releasing in... 2000...

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I am world first HC 100, see you in 11 years for Diablo 5 nerds.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Philthy posted:

The story was never anything people complained about.

Diablo 3 emerged as the #1 lovely Blizzard story in an era where it had to compete for that honor with SC2s Heart of the Swarm. :cawg: BfA and SL would take another 5+ years to happen.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Y'all making me want to pony up a $20 tip for Robert "Union Man" Kotick. :qq:

Tuesday a long way away.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

KingKapalone posted:

It's 7pm EST on Monday actually.

OHHHH BOYYEEE

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah my only gripe is I wanna save 20 bux, I'm looking forward to it and I was a doubter to start.

Barreft posted:

People are already bored.

Ah yes, that dead on arrival game that... has opened to universal acclaim, literally hasn't been out long enough for people to know how they feel about playing it for longer than a week, and technically hasn't even had its real launch yet? Fell completely flat.

Like come on man, you've got to at least post within the same realm of reality as everybody else.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

"Diablo was made to be played with others" is a reach? Somebody should've told the incompetent fools that made Diablo 2. :v:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Turds in magma posted:

Got a rogue to level 16 on hardcore. Some very close calls.

One thing I'm confused about : how do you "play it safe" with level scaling? I can't just stay in an area and farm to get a safe buffer against the next area - the next area keeps scaling with me.

What's the strategy?

For D4 in particular you have to farm some of the explorable stuff like extra stats, skill points, and just playing the game for better gear. You can't level scale past the enemies but you can power scale past them.

So I dunno how much D4 will allow you to do so, especially early on, but Hardcore theory is pretty uniform across most ARPGs.

1) Learn what is actually dangerous. If the game lets you do prep, do it. If there's a boss who is a REAL fucker with a dangerous damage spike that annihilates on mistakes then practice in softcore. Think fighting Big Belial underleveled with his smash patterns in Diablo 3, or Izual freezing you. If Diablo puts you in a bone cage in D2 and uses lightning breath, is your plan "hope I survive?" If the Butcher kicks the door open in a dungeon, do you have a reaction to that? Also be aware of mobs that hit harder than their "perfectly even" scaling with you. I was finishing up the 2nd expac of Grim Dawn, highest difficulty HC, when I almost lost the run to a penultimate boss whose shtick is "hits like a truck, no, more than anyone else with this shtick." Father Kymon I think, who did truckloads of fire/physical damage at least, in a game where you can target and overbuff defensives coordinated to the damage types of the enemy. Speaking of Grim Dawn:

1a) Know how to teleport safely out of the situation, if the game will let you. Setting a portal ahead of time, running to the door, IF you can do those, etc. Know how to fast quit out, if you're not cool enough to take deaths on the chin. :cool: I have paused GD and stared at my screen for a minute planning out what I can do to save the imminent disaster happening on screen. I've never quit out and it worked out, thankfully.

2) Take safety skills/passives/buffs, or "Circuit Breakers." The idea is very simple: if you run into something that can hit you from 100 to 0-10 in a single hit, are you rolling dice or do you get a chance to react? A circuit breaker is a cheat death, or your fortified pool, or anything that'll trigger if you fall low and pause things, or at least stop the spike from 1-2 shotting you. Grim Dawn has loads of them and they're vital, just "heal when you drop under 66% max HP" or "get defensive for 10 seconds when you hit 40% max hp." Layering a few of these is real good, so don't neglect your defensive skills unless you plan to prepare and play perfectly.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

The number of posters in this thread who're pushing the hardest content in the game 2 days after release is pretty wild. Y'all got streams?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Me and the frugal boys getting ready to absolutely ruin your login queues tonight.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Imagining if streaming was around back in the Diablo 2 days and somebody watched a top player do Pindle runs and declared that yeah, this game is shallow as gently caress.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

The recent D3 season also added an extra unique power system. Early D3 seasons also debuted the expansion content they turned into free updates. Ideally D4 will go wild and add new content each season like world bosses and zones and more Evils to fight.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Stux posted:

trying out a d2 build that accidentally picks the 50% of the skill trees that are literally unusable lol

Sweating bullets as my trembling mouse hand clicks on skill buttons while I nervously look between two monitors to triple check my icy veins guide.

I click on Charged Bolts and shed a single tear. I have brought shame to my family.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

thebardyspoon posted:

Then he still bought the early access version of this game, still disliked it for pretty much the same reasons

:laffo:

I like that in the same quarter that Blizzard annihilated the lifetime profitability of Overwatch 2 they released this magnificent brain virus that will actually make them a billion dollars easily.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

So am I missing out on anything by not preordering so I can see if the servers are exploding?

Tried Druid in one of the betas but think I may roll Barb. I am a man of simple tastes.

The game is going live today/tomorrow for all players so don't add a $20 tip to your purchase right now my dude.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Y'all got anybody keeping clan invites open or any clans besides the two in the OP?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I got into CoG well enough, thanks goons. Search for Cathedral of Goons, toss a request in every so often if it says requests are full.

Hitting up Rogue for my first playthrough and once I took Shadowstep(+cooldown on fresh hit passive), Dash, fast stabbies and poison trap it clicked remarkably fast. I like Flurry too. Combat feel is pretty great. Buttons will be tight later but for now zip zoom.

I'm trying T2 out until my head breaks on the wall and it has made two dungeon boss fights pretty intense while I'm still New Char Bad Gear. Really satisfying to pull 'em out with good dodging and prioritizing targets though but as good as game feels and looks it does show that it got rushed out the door a bit. It's funny how some of the attack reads are a bit jank or how the projectile hit boxes are off and I look forward to the post-launch recovery/Season 1 touch up to everything.

Specifically the spider that launches webs and poison that are contacting you before they finish traveling through the air and hit the ground, and the Ice Fallen Shaman that throws balls that hit pillars that spawn 8x orbs. I saw this for the first time and figured they were "avoid the bad on the floor" and they're a bit hard to see with a subtle spawn animation and he was almost dead so it spawned all 8 on top of me for an insta-gib. Funny stuff, not a complaint. Wow there's gonna be a lot to remember at this rate for the hardcore playthrough, color me engaged.

Game good, good job Blizzard.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

You can put three pets on your bars at the same time and there are Legos that add "+damage to you per companion" or "you are now three werewolves", etc. Sounds supported to me!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Absolutely Batshit Insane Conspiracy Theory: did Blizzard knowingly murder Overwatch 2 because no publicity is bad publicity right before they teed up Diablo 4 knowing their brutal crunch had actually yielded a gem?

Again, absolutely batshit insane speculation but that'd be some 300 IQ marketing and business.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

InventorOfTrees posted:

I think they would have had better publicity just releasing two good games instead of one lol

For sure, but if they can't save OW2 then it'd be a brutally pragmatic use of the news cycle.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

There's nothing wrong with a game challenging you, having variable difficulty, and also looking up help to get past walls. Also every game with wide appeal should be well designed for new, learning and rusty gamers. :shrug: D4 is pretty cool in that it gives you the tools to succeed but they aren't immediately obvious, even if they aren't gonna get to PoE levels of nonsense. Like Rogue gets a lot of little early stuff to apply CC and benefits from hitting CCed dudes but aside from just using the Invigorating Strike Vuln passive it requires a little work to get smooth combat flow going. And that flow is satisfying to get!

drat I thought Rogue was super cool and then I got combo points and bwooooaaahhhhhh mind blown, this owns.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

quote:

An 87 is a low score, actually

traveling back in time for the dumbest OG IGN takes

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

pop poison imbue

hammer fist Rain of Arrows hotkey

hoo hahahaha hee hee ho ho

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

LifeLynx posted:

I found a legendary that gives a 10% chance of casting Rain of Arrows when I do a basic attack and things are melting. Even more aoe for my Poison Flurry rogue. Definitely incorporating this into my build.

and here I am using Blade Shift because it makes me poke things fast and rapid numbers make me feel good :allears:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Saw people saying the campaign caps at level 50 in the last two pages.

Does that mean you should try to beat the campaign by 50 and then go back and do sidequests? Open WT3 and then do the sidequests on that? Don't think about it and just shotgun underleveled content to see it and get renown and all that? I am enjoying all the morbid endings to these goofy little sidequests.

Ahhh, my eyes.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Thanks. I'll full clear Act 1 and then go faster through the campaign and hit my capstone so I can get full completion in T3. I'm already 32 and maybe over halfway through everything in Act 1.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Paradoxically, the game might be the hardest at Veteran difficulty.

1-25 at T2 Rogue has been a trip especially on bosses. My power bumps have gotten ahead of the curve and my kill times feel great though I did my first stronghold yesterday and the entire thing was a heartpounder of twitch reflex dodges and potion chugs.

I love it.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Phenotype posted:

Complete noob here. Is there any point in getting a second basic attack?

If the utility provided is better than you'd get from having any other non-generator, sure. Having a ranged option as a melee build can be a life saver and many generators have great utility, like invigorating feeding you easy vulnerability or shifting strike letting you pass through enemies and get move speed.

However that is a big ask in most cases and typically you only want one basic attack. I use flurry to get stuns and build stagger on bosses and my other abilities improve my DPS more than the absence of vulnerability from invigorating strike.

There's likewise nothing wrong with stacking same category skills, I used shadowstep/dash for awhile until I felt comfortable dodging and surviving CC and tossed an ultimate in to experiment instead of shadowstep.

Experiment freely, just recognize the harsh opportunity cost the six button limit enforces.

I don't think you can practically swap skills outside of hitting S and slowly replacing the button but this does mean you can use skills granted by gear or even a point or two in your tree to have a back up, like if you want to swap to ranged for a boss. Don't expect to have uptime on anything you need to keep on the bar while it's active like a druid pet.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Ihmemies posted:

Am I stupid when I try to level my first guy with world tier 2? I guess it’s perfectly possible to use it while levelling?

WT1 is probably faster for kill times vs the 20% experience bonus but you can do WT2 just fine if you want. I'm not in a rush and I got past the hump by 25-30. It's definitely more engaging than the usual ARPG sleepwalk through early content.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Starting in WT2 assumes you layer a lot of good DPS increases sooner than your drops may make possible. I watch yellows for +close damage, got bonus damage vs healthy and injured passive and so on and have been putting diamonds in weapon slots to feed my poison imbue(which I 5/5'd) + rain of arrows "see an elite" combo.

Otherwise bosses are pretty chunky and you may need WT1 just to avoid dying to potion attrition.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

There's a guy in Bandit groups, Slicer, who stealths and then backstabs you for huge burst plus some poison on top.

Been real fascinating how many jerks I've been tallying to be aware of for HC. The traps are pretty nasty and blend in well with the art style too.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I've been using combo points because stabbing fast after flurry feels good for this attack speed addled brain and also it's a bunch of free passive damage boost without any thought really.

Not saying the other two are bad but I've not felt the draw to experiment yet. I could definitely see Preparation being a good time with more synergy from legendaries. Dunno about Inner Sight, Energy regen is passively fast and I don't mind doing other things or left-clicking.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Act 1 Spoilers: You didn't need that armor to prove your worth, friend. drat after the last 10 years of Blizzard Writing(TM) I didn't expect them to stick the landing on some pathos with actual build up, pay off and even a subtle setup. "That's cool armor but it doesn't have room for a head? Neat description. Wonder if I'll see Holy Pyramid Head guys later."

I know it's fun to joke about how D4 overreacted super hard to fans crying about D3 but honestly, D3 has a passable story if you go strictly by what happens. Lorath recounting it makes it sound downright sensible. It's when you're experiencing it and it's hammy and goofy all over the place that you realize they botched the tone until Reaper of Souls.

So I've been enjoying this slow burn of an actual gothic horror setting. Hell even the bits where D4 goes too far in the other way work in an Evil Dead sort of way where you can make the viewer laugh but the things happening are still horrifying.

The build up of Inarius as a deeply flawed ego case is nice too. And he didn't suck the PC off as the chosen one because of our nebulous link to Lilith which literally every other Lillith cultist has! Really looking forward to old manning my way to the conclusion of this story in like two weeks.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

kinda crazy that they got approval to start wildfires to coat the entire American northeast in smoke

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Act 2 spoilers: Got under Eldhaime and saw Lilith be a competent villain with a meaningful goal? Neat. Leaving sherbert snow land after the beta and a long act 1 beat white filter and snow into me and the environment artists are killing it with this cool Druid homeland and blood swamps. I saw Airidah first and then Nafain and lol, that was definitely the right order for it. "Gee things are getting bad with Lilith corrupting everybody." Then zooming in to be sure that yeah, Nafain is hosed. Loved the pettiness and build up to Nafain too, like writing Inarius Is A Pest on a dead knight's banner. Great stuff. The whole game is dark but drat was that a high point of morbidity. :allears: All the characters are pretty simple yet well done, Donan is a cool dude.

I think there's a real nice balance they've hit where everyone you meet is competent enough for you to not be in disbelief at how god drat stupid a video game world is, like they've got agency and personality and all that, but they also don't get in your way. The PC is pretty grounded and all the VAs are solid too.

I guess if Diablo 4 got all the budget in the company then hey at least it shows.

Bow Rogue owns, my AoE suffers slightly but my boss kill speed quadrupled.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Yes, difficulty settings exist to provide options for gamers of different preferences and skill levels. I'm glad WT2 is in so I wasn't sleepwalking through the campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

"I enjoy WT2 and the pacing it offers, particularly in monster longevity."

"No impossible play game efficiently WT1 rush to the end."

"But I'm having fun."

"No, I wasn't."

Great conversation, guys.