Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Finished the campaign, and actually saw myself ding during the last cutscene heh

Massively enjoyed the road until I got to the last zone and stuff started dragging out.

A bit dissapointed with how it ends, and not massively enjoying Neyrelle's character.

Gameplay feels very tight, but my build did not evolve at all past like level 20, which leaves a bit of a sour taste. I was hoping for some noticable improvements / changes through items or talents.

I'm gonna get a taste of the 'end game' gameplay loop later tonight but honestly am a bit afraid its not going to be what I need

Good thing is the game is loving gorgeous and it has all the tools in place to improve later on in seasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

also I'm bummed out that lilith dies, since she and lorath were the only characters I really enjoyed. I kind of hope they bring her back or some poo poo

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Memnaelar posted:

Do the enhancement bonuses (for example: 50% higher skill bonus when applied to amulet) for aspects also apply to the codex ones (but not get shown for some reason) or are those randomly rolled/universally applied for gear-related aspects only?

They should yea. It's just that codex ones are always min roll

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Diephoon posted:

Finished campaign today. Was hoping Neyrelle would do the needful and shove the soulstone into her arm stub to make a sick hell-arm cannon but she just hosed off to Monk DLC-land instead.

Really digging the Tree of Whispers implementation. Can you keep grinding after you fill the payout bar or are you forced to cash in to not waste points?

Having fun on my barb now that I have a semblance of a real build, do not recommend playing them early game in T2 at all. Probably going to start with a ranged character in season 1.

I'm rolling point blank barrage rogue and having a good time in T3 with minimal gear

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Legendary drop rate sure as hell skyrockets near the endgame. Approaching d3 levels and im not liking it tbh

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Yo this tree told me I would collect debts from humans and demons alike. Where are my human slaying quests damnit

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

Once you beat the campaign, is there a way to skip the story on other characters that already started but didn't finish it?

I'm in act 4 on my necro, going to finish it with this guy. I've also got a barb that I got to lvl 8 or 9 before I switched over. Can I flip a switch to get that guy in adventure mode once I've done the campaign on splody boi, or should I just delete him and roll a new one?

you select the option on the char creation screen afaik

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

game just feels so good to play

but making builds does not allow for much creativity, feels like I'm playing a class / spec in wow tbh

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

blizz doesnt give notices for the servers going down?

Seems like a bad time for a lot of HC players

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

2 unique drops in 1 hour, i was thinking about titties, maybe this helps spread the word

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Tiny Timbs posted:

I'm still not sure what the purpose of the minute-long cooldowns are when, for example, you could use that hotbar slot for Necromancer curses for every fight. Does the DPS increase for bosses make up for the loss when navigating the dungeon?

The only use case for those is when you can reduce the cooldown by a ton and have it somehow buff your existing spells

I'm playing rogue trap / barrage and with a certain captsone talent I can reduce the cooldown so much I can usually use it a few times on big monster packs. But even then the damage is ... meh

I'm hoping stacking some extra trap damage and ulti damage will make it worthwhile, or I could give up on it and just skill an imbue

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

CuddleCryptid posted:

Transformation Druid makes me laugh, I dipped my toe in it last night and while I'll quickly have to choose one path I have the wolf builder and bear spender so fights are me going man WOLF WOLF BEAR WOLF WOLF BEAR WOLF- and it's very funny. It must be very disorienting for my guy.

species fluid

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Journey from 1 to 57 has been great. Then things are starting to drag out. I have my most important paragon node, good stats on all my gear slots and all the aspects to make my build work.

Now I'm looking at how much I still have to grind to 100 and I'm questioning myself if its worth it. Scaling makes the actual combat feel extrmely similar every level I pass. Very rarely do I get a loot drop that feels like an upgrade. The dungeons all feel very similar in structure and mob density is just not fun atm, running from white pack to white pack.

Judging by how long its taking me to level I'd judge I'll need to grind another 60-70 hours to get to 100. But honestly I'm not sure what is even waiting for me there. Uber Lilith? Maybe chasing some T1 unique?

Around the lvl 60 point is definitely going to be a point where the game slows down so much a lot of people will reroll something else or pause playing alltogether I feel.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

zoux posted:

I'm confused about people's expectation for this game: Diablo is a franchise about endlessly grinding for better gear so you can continue the endless grind. That's the game. What is waiting for you is more of this game.

Eh, I have 4000 hours in poe and maybe a 1000 in d3 so I understand what it means to play an ARPG.

Its just that right now if kind of feels like nothing interesting is happening or gonna happen before I reach 100 but to each their own ofc

There needs to be more aspirational things like the capstone dungeons or something

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

zoux posted:

What's "interesting" or "happening" during the endless map grind in PoE?

I'm not picking on you, I see this complaint a lot. I do think that seasons are going to solve a lot of this perception, but I still don't get what people are looking for

Naturally don't want to turn this into a poe discussion, but: building out your atlas tree, building up all the side content you specced into (like Alva temples, delve progression, heists, expeditions etc..), gathering mats for in depth gear crafting, the crafting itself, progressing the atlas towards the 7 pinacle bosses (14 if u wanna count ubers).

A lot of this is obvious bloat from a decade long development progress, and I'm confident D4 will be able to fill out at least some of these areas over time. I guess my criticism right now is that the void where this stuff is supposed to go later on is there. Its understandable but that doesnt make it less tangible to me.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Doing the WT4 capstone (70) at lvl 58 was the most fun I've had so far in this game. Every fight was a massive challenge and the boss was a real nailbiter dodging mechanics and dealing with adds.

Wish more fixed difficulty content was in the game already

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

putin is a oval office posted:

Pretty impressive feat, nice one! What's your class/build out of curiosity?

Rogue with puncture builder and barrage spender. Poison trap, death trap and caltrops as filler to CC and boost barrage damage.

Barrage is a real fun skill to use, but I don't see many people running it. It clears packs amazingly well and claps one single target when you just shotgun from point blank. Poison trap applies a lot of damage modifiers and knocks eveyrthing down for a sec. Together with the trap capstone talent poison trap and death trap get off cooldown really fast. I'm using caltrops to get out of sticky situations and I make it chill so I can use a legendary that makes grenades (drops from the captsone talent too) freeze chilled enemies.

If you get the flow right you can CC packs for a very long time. If you notice poo poo is going sideways you just dash / caltrops out and try get your sequence right for a second try.

Very fun playstyle tbh

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Mr. Pickles posted:

Barrage in cramped spaces though. I did not like it at all but Penetrating shot has it all. Trap + Caltrops very satisfying to use too, but skipping Dash is never good and I feel like there is no room for Caltrops with how good the imbue skills are.

Barrage is still very nice to proc lucky hits. Every arrow has a 16% chance while puncture is a single arrow with 50%.
So it pairs up really nicely with the trap capstone. I agree on the imbue tho. Ive seen boots with a chill trail on some streams. My goal is to get those and then ditch caltrops. I just need a source of chill for my grenades.

Then I'll probably fit in an imbue instead. Not sure which one theyre all p good for my build

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

You can make NM dungeons fun by running ones that are 10 levels higher than you Ive found.

It becomes quite a challenge then and even 2 elite packs will make for a tough long battle

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

queeb posted:

poe2 coming in hot,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wbqabo0x2Kk

thats a serious graphics upgrade, and animation and casting looks d4 level or better

Did I spot the diablo evade mechanic?

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

One scene I liked very much in the campaign was Donan manning up and hammering the soulstone. The music and the voice acting made it so emotional. Nop notch

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

I am confused about refunding skill points: I tried refunding a point from a leaf skill but it says that "You can not refund a node that is required to keep a cluster unlocked, even though that if I did refund it, everything would still be unlocked, or at least it is not something that would suddenly make another skill invalid to take:

Is the idea that if I want to refund something from a certain node branch, I need to refund everything so that I only have enough points in the tree so that the latest node that is unlocked is the one where I actually want to refund skills from?

Because this seems...counterintuitive at best. Please tell me I am missing something.

you probably dont have enough points in the basic and core clusters to keep your connection to the next one?

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Zotix posted:

But... the game is good?

Game is great! until you get around lvl 60 and its just ok

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Swilo posted:

Finally cleared the campaign and uh yeah it's better than D3 but still not good.

Who else had a better plan than Lilith? Certainly not any of the characters in this game. Mephisto gets his way which I'm alright with if it means this entire lot get wiped. The player character has no agency despite being clearly the most capable and least biased person around at any given time. Donan gets scratched by a loot box and dies due to the opposite of plot armor. Lorath's head is bound for a tree to no benefit. Neyrelle running off with the soulstone on her own and then us just accepting her "don't follow me lol" letter is possibly the stupidest turn of events in the entire series.

Andariel's new design was fantastic but Duriel was unimpressive. Neither fight was particularly interesting and there was zero buildup or payoff.

At least the cinematics were great, though there weren't nearly as many of them as I expected. All the in-engine stuff is neat tech but clearly has massive limitations.

I wonder if the Prime Evils will show up in expansions or will that be a story for D5 in another decade? I'm interested to see how they handle seasonal stories.

I can see them giving d4 the wow treatment when comparing warcraft lore. I'd guess the story and engine will get updated throughout patches and expansions while an actual d5 will not really manifest itself anymore.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Tiny Timbs posted:

Is anybody working on something like Path of Building for this game? I don't know how the people putting build guides together are measuring damage output, it's impossible for me to tell whether an item that gives "+X DPS" will actually decrease my DPS due to some affix difference.

I don't think such a thing is possible unless blizzard releases some details about how dmg multipliers work

Most info out there is derived from scuffed ingame testing

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Switched out of barrage to penetrating shot and I'm surprised how much better it is once you have some gear. Makes me think stuff like flurry and barrage are more attuned to leveling.

Lvl 65 in WT4 now and popping shadow imbue and launching a big gently caress you into an elite pack and watching everything explode in one hit is def fun

Found that unique bow that guarantees crit on first hit so that helps as well

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

So people have been speculating that Blizzard removed Shako and Grandfather from the game because no one has gotten them to drop but

https://twitter.com/AZJackson85/status/1667270064545103872

I guess there is a whole class of ultra rare Uniques that serve as chase items. doesn't sound like i'll ever get my hands on one of these

I'd dig these items being so rare if they were at least tradeable

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Imo its ok a game has a carrot that keeps you playing. For some getting any of these chase uniques is enough reason to keep playing and getting a feeling of progression towards something

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

katkillad2 posted:

I'm level 70, doing tier 25 nightmare dungeons. Takes me about 13-15 minutes to clear unless it's a huge map and I get like 15% of a bar of xp. This is probably where I burn out.

They either need to implement more content at high end or make the leveling shorter. But making leveling shorter now will only piss people off if they make it longer again later on in seasons when theres more content. A pickle!

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Kaysette posted:

Butcher spawned in my very first dungeon after switching to WT3, got him down after doing a bunch of Benny Hill style running around slinging bone spears at it while my corpse fart clouds and grim reapers chipped away. Ended up being a goofy but fun fight. Will hit 50 tomorrow and can figure out all this endgame poo poo I’ve been hearing about.

I had butcher spawn on me in some ghuulraam (or whatever) dungeon in WT4, being like 10 levels below.

Thought I was dead for sure but then I found this magical spot in some wide open room and if I stood exactly there the butcher would freak out and run around erratically, while I could plink arrows into his firm buttocks.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

hello internet posted:

This may be a stupid question but If you are a bow focused rogue and you put gems in your melee weapons does that effect range attacks as well or only the hitting weapon

Afaik all stats on any piece of gear will affect anything you do, that should include gems

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Black Griffon posted:

If I understand correctly, the only stat that's actually purely gear-specific is base damage range, right?

Right, your melee skills will be based on the melee weapon dmg range and vice versa

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

LMAO not mentioning stash space at all = 120% theyre gonna sell it

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Donnerberg posted:

Counterpoint, Haweza quests have unskippable dialogue dumps.

Fractured Peaks has more efficient quests. More bear butts and waypoint fedex, less forced lore I'll forget the second it's over.

I do appreciate the longer quest chains more than the dozens of one-offs though, and I did pay attention to them on the first playthrough. It's just they build up so much story fatigue on alts when you can't skip through them.

I enjoyed doing most of the side quests on my SC character. Then I made a HC character and having to do the exact same quests to get renown was miserable. There better be an option to get at least some renown for engaging with the tree / helltides / nm dungeons in following seasons because having to do the same quests every time is a terrible design decision.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

The Paragon system is a complex looking, but in essence pretty simple system.

It won't change the way you play the game but rather add power to your existing build. That way its pretty hard to gently caress anything up.

Just go with it and adjust when time goes on and you gain more understanding. Its not like the PoE skill tree where its incredibly easy to brick your entire character.

Just get the glyph slot on every board as a priority, then the key paragon point if it helps your build. The glyphs can be exchanged for free, so nothing is set in stone.

Then after you have a few boards connected and you realize you can do the same thing more efficiently with diff pathing you can reset it and rotate / reposition your boards around a bit

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Herstory Begins Now posted:

then you just unspec the single point? I've seen people make mediocre builds, but I've never seen someone actually brick a character

My reasoning is that you start investing in the tree by lvl 2 and its easy to eventually have a skill tree that is just massively inadequate / counterproductive by the time you get to maps

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Pain of Mind posted:

Might take a few characters to get all of the altars, but since the stat upgrade is for the account, I just made a level 1 guy to run in and grab them. I recommend beating the game first so you have a horse and can just warp to a closer spot. It took me 2 level 1's to get the 3 shrines in the lower PVP area since there is pretty high mob density near them, but for what its worth I did not see another person.

Cant u just get the altars without marking yourself for pvp? I thought pvp state was completely voluntary or when you extract shards? I just ran in on my 50 sorc, not that I saw anyone anyway.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Bah just lost my HC sorc in the lvl 50 capstone dungeon to a disconnect

feeling 0 motivation to level a new one and overal pretty done with the game for now

I'll log in to my sc rogue maybe a few more times until s1 starts to blow up some packs

heres hoping s1 is more than a few extra quests!

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

So, my rogue is lvl 68, all slots of gear are around ilvl 770-800 I believe. Got all my correct aspects aplied. Got like 2 uniques I'm using.

So the next 32 levels will basically feel exactly the same? How does the monster scaling compare to increases in paragon power if my gear stays stagnant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

STONE COLD 64 posted:

you can always vary it up as you go along, dont feel the need to get married to the same build in the later levels if you're worried about it becoming a grind

I love the build, its great fun. Just wondering how this scaling works. I'll get weaker every level until I get another glyph socket or something?