Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

smoobles posted:

In case anyone missed it, they put up a 4-part recap of the preceding events of Diablo 1, and the plot of all 3 games. It loving slaps and even makes Diablo 3's plot look cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEfVNgk_Hho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnMu3DNbJko

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae8YXE7OdfI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBjgmaNRDHo

this poo poo is asking for age verification through credit card entry. is there another source?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
plz do not let my request distract anyone from what is probably very rad content (the lore of Diablo, after all, is much better than the games)

e:lmao :synpa: i actually like diablo and will prob get it if it goes on sale at some point next year when im done with the other hundreds of games competing for attention

Popoto fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 1, 2023

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

External Organs posted:

Raise your hand if the fuckin metzen art book from Diablo 1 is still burned into your formative memories

d1, starcraft and warcraft 2 art yeah. those manuals were rad

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
i hope someone makes a mod that makes all classes absolutely bonkers OP if you get the right items and skills. Nerfing poo poo in a single player arpg is dumb as balls and in this case just shows they’re trying to pad the play time. lmao

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
My controversial opinion is that D4 could use a bit more contrast between environment and interactable in Scosglen and Hawezar because god drat that quest on the coast to find the clump of hairs lmao

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
im happy for everyone that's able to play this laggy trash fire of a game where every loading screen is a roll of the dice like lmao how is blizzard not able to support massive amounts of players in 2023 when MMO has been their game operations for the past two decades.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Tiny Timbs posted:

I have an update queued for Diablo 4 but Battle.Net is just straight up refusing to start the download despite restarting it and logging out/back in.

The season's three months, chill out

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
The season's three months, chill out

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Mufasa Nigel posted:

Anyone on the EU servers, vpn to US has sorted all my loading screen woes. Despite still connecting to Europe. Whatever, I'm playing that'll do.

That’s probably only temporary until america properly enters past 6pm

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
finally got to play a bit now that the servers have calmed down (or everyone hosed off in disgust, who knows).

trying out barb. aptly named Barbariccia, and decided to go for some sort of frenzy/berseker set and it's a lot of fun to just be bashing heads non stop and it's like Speed where if you go slower than 60mph you explode. just got some malignant hearts that seem to reward attack speed with even more buffs. just waiting for a slot. sounds promising. it really feels like im playing God of War with a controller right now. Let's see how that changes later when stuff gets beefier.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

I started druid and am having some FOMO about necromancer getting better use of the season mechanic, so I'm tempted to switch. I wouldn't be shocked if there's some kind of balance pass in the next week or two though, so idk.

the season is 3 months long, you can always come back later and have fun with the Necro after trying out your current class, and hey: by then you'll know if they've fun nerfed it or not, which would make you switching to it now a gamble.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Herstory Begins Now posted:

they're going to squeeze a billion dollars out of d4 players

but yeah who tf knows how 4 seasons + annual expansion is meant to work. even if it is just meant to be 3 seasons + 1 expac of content, that's still a helluva pipeline

we are getting at minimum 3 expansions, one for each prime evil. it'll start with us dealing with mephisto, following the story from the campaign, then baal, and finally, the big bad, 3 years running ,3 years hyped, EL DIABOLO

dun dun duuuuuuuuuun

(the 3rd expansion will obviously see us return to west sanctuary to fight the skeleton king again)

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
it's divisive instead of multiplicative, and then square rooted because of a misplaced comma in the code

oops!

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Hey. Coming back after two seasons of not playing to check out the changes.

Some questions:

* is it still faster/recommended to level up in tier 1 until you get to the point of going tier 2 just to unlock 3?

* has itemization been tweaked a bit?

* does more stuff stay account wide now like the statues?

* is it fun? :smug:

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

harrygomm posted:

if you kill stuff as quickly in T2 as you do in T1 then yeah go T1. personally i still flew through levels in T1 doing the seasonal quest, so it's probably immaterial

it's been changed a little, mostly for the better. it is not the big itemization change season you're probably hoping for, which is supposed to be S4

some waypoints are account wide, renown progress is too, assuming you finish out the tier (if you're part way through tier 3 in a zone and delete the character, T2 is still unlocked for everyone. however a new character would have to start earning renown from T0 in that zone up to T3 to get a universal unlock). long story short, focus on renown a zone at a time until it is fully complete

i think so, but even post buff i think the seasonal dungeons are just a means to an end rather than an engaging new mechanic

That sounds good. Thank you, traveler.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

delightful posted:

I keep seeing people use the term 'itemization', what does it mean in the D4 context?

Edit: Thanks again for all the help folks. I went from critting for 15-20k to critting for 100-120k. The power fantasy is now real :)

To make a quick exemple of how I view it (since I asked about it recently), it's something like this:

Sorcerer has massive bonus when it comes to using staff and wands, and their skills favor those weapons. You're not really gonna go for a sword or a dagger unless it's a unique that was made specifically with properties to boost sorcerers.
But then you get staff and wands that drop with +STR, while the +INT items you've been finding are swords and daggers that you're not keen on using since they don't synergize with your skills. It makes going through your list of items that much more a chore, because instead of rapidly checking an item icon ("a rare sword, I very probably won't need that") it means that you have to check the item's description in details to see if it is something that applies to you. Multiply this by a full stack of item per half hour and it becomes a massive loss of time. You can modify/add on this concept with anything related to an item and how it relates to your own skills.

That's just a quick example.

In one line, it's then: how rapidly and easily can you slot an item at a glance into a role for a character or deem it trash. The worst the itemization, the harder doing that is. That's my perspective on itemization.

Popoto fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jan 29, 2024

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Doomykins posted:

Yer yanking my chain right? No multiple reward pools for different skills and level of engagement? Does the D4 team like, actively reject all industry wisdom, genre conventions.. hell, all well-meaning advice?

Try the Gauntlet - Get a reward.
Try the Gauntlet 5 times - Get a reward, make this and every other option clearly visible.
Try the Gauntlet 15, 30, 50, 75, 100 times - Get a reward.
Place on the Leaderboards - Get a reward.
Beat your Personal Best - Get a reward.
Top 1000, 500, 100, 50, 1 - .. You get the idea.
Multiplied By Per Class.

Mix of cosmetics, practical single player character rewards(open this cache to drop a random legendary, w/e), paragon glyph xp and cross-account utility bux.

Yeah but that cuts into profits so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
“This game DELETES your characters every 3 months!!!”