Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

i am excited to play this video game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Mayveena posted:

I thought there was a thread to discuss lovely behavior at video game companies.....

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

how is everyone feeling about the state of the necromancer at launch? sounds fun, but chain lightning sorc with teleport sounds fast, and I cannot decide.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

heart says necro brain says sorc (tele > all) and I will spend the next 47 minutes waffling about it and sometimes posting about that waffling tyia

The Kripp summon necro guide was interesting, thanks for that tip whoever posted it earlier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nfjsxiahxj0

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

An entire generation on the edge of their seats hoping D4 makes up for the tragedy of D3 at launch

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Charging for early access gives me more hope for a stable launch than anything else, it shouldn't definitely split the load

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

It's a busy day for Battle.net!

You're in a queue!

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

playing D4

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

level 2

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

MrMidnight posted:

The real server slam starts now

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

"SA Goon Squad" search in clan menu can bring it up and you can request invite without a whisper.

request sent :shobon:

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

Holy poo poo I'm actually playing D4 live

doesn't feel right

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Watching SkillUp's review and I'm so depressed. His review took care of my concern about the GaS crap by talking about the massive amount of content in the campaign but his description of the super-aggressive level scaling has managed to kill all my interest. A key element in this kind of game, for me at least, is that stair step of progression; fighting your way up against largely matched bad guys until you level up or find that awesome item that, for a short time at least, makes you feel truly powerful and able to beat the poo poo out of the game until you once again plateau and have start working again. If the game is all plateau, nope.

poo poo.

the game is fun, stop thinking about it too hard

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Zones scaling to me is great in practice. I can do any main or side quest, any dungeon, any time.

They put enough work into stat and gear progression that I’m still getting dopamine zaps as I progress and tinker, so the net result is just more freedom.

I’m impressed!

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Just saw somebody ride past on a mount.

gently caress I need to sleep less and play more :smith:

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

tip: Items with +1 to all (type) of skills actually give you the skill when you don't have a point in it. Surprising compared to D2 where that wording would only buff skills you already took.

Found a +1 defensive skills amulet on my sorc, and that saves me a ton of points: I only need lvl 1 frost nova, teleport, and ice armor right now, letting me re-assign 3 points for DPS temporarily.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

crepeface posted:

two legendaries dropped, changed my mind: game rules

there’s that slot machine logic that’s kept us here for a quarter century

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Hashy posted:

I can't justify why there are jewellery/armour vendors that sell rares that cost what is roughly the total amount of gold you'd have at that level. Just total noob traps.

It turns out I had way less gold than I should because I was on D3-autopilot and salvaging everything instead of selling items for gold. Wound up with more mats and less gold than I really needed, oops.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Megasabin posted:

Do the roll ranges on the aspects improve as item level improves? Or if you get a perfect roll even at a low level, you should just extract the aspect and save it for end game?

I've heard people say extract and save.

Codex ones always roll minimum, only dropped items can actually exist within the range (I was surprised to find you can find codex powers on dropped items at all!).

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

All of the account wide unlocks mean leveling alts more attractive than other ARPGs, especially after you get the mount. Cool system. I want to grind some renown, and it won't really be much faster on my main than it would be on a fresh alt. Love making alts anyway, being able to effectively keep progressing my main while I do... rules?

Doomykins posted:

Imagining if streaming was around back in the Diablo 2 days and somebody watched a top player do Pindle runs and declared that yeah, this game is shallow as gently caress.

This is a great point.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

welp, I tried an alt to ground renown and discovered some rewards are account bound, but the entire renown system is otherwise reset for each character. Still kinda neat, but not nearly as alt-friendly as I initially thought :smith:

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Dungeons are hands down the best way to get items (rare + legendary), at least under level 50 / WT3. I think drop rate probably increases a bit with level too, maybe after some breakpoint. From level 42 - 48 or so, running 2 dungeons + turning in tree of whispers reliably nets a handful of legendary items.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

nice work keep going!

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Chain lightning sorc is level 51 and T3. I was shocked and how quick the jump from high 40s was; I spent almost no time in T2. In future runes Is probably jump closer to 45, upgrades slow way down around there in T1 and T2.

Sacred items are cool. Dungeons are harder but I like the prospect of big upgrades being randomly possible.

kinda wishing there was an easy speed farming activity, feels like lost progression is about hard small fights and maybe literally waiting out cooldowns between them?

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Level 51 and chain lightning is starting to feeling weak, even with the +mana on bounce and +chance for extra bounces legendaries.

The Guides And Streamers say Arc Lash is better for end game, and I saw a comment like that here too - what's the TL;DR on what makes Arc Lash better? Doesn't seem like a single build defining legendary or anything.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

lmao collecting all of the altars of Lilith will more than double the stats of my lvl 50 sorc, and give me a fist full of paragon points to slam on top of the ~1~ that I got for hitting 50.

Looks like it’s time to do that!

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

I guess I'll look at guides when I start hitting T3 and T4, but for now it's very satisfying coming up with my own powerful builds.

yeah, I think guideless T3 will only work if you lucked into something that works. Too many undertuned abilities, even when fully synergized and supported by aspects.

T3 hits hard and you really need a lot of defensive tools and offensive synergies to keep going.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

explosivo posted:

This. Also I was surprised to see that the upgrades stop once you get the gem to level 3. I am drowning in gems now so I really haven't been picking them up. I assumed there would be another tier that you could upgrade to after 50 but that doesn't seem to be the case.

There are absolutely higher tier gems, but I'm not sure how to (unlock?) upgrading them. Would recommend continue to pick up lower gems and leave them in the stash.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Philthy posted:

I've got a blue item with the skills on it that I want. I'd also like to add a codex or an aspect to this as well. Is there a way to upgrade it to rare / add additional abilities to it? Or is white and blue just totally useless is D4?

AFAIK white and blue are completely useless beyond sales and salvage.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Maxroll feels like the most authoritative D4 info site to me at the moment, FWIW. They invested a lot of time into guides and detailed explanations, and were good for D2R and D3 as well.

https://maxroll.gg/d4

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Kaddish posted:

Dungeons in WT3 are a slog. I'm only 51 and still gearing, I really hope it gets better.

same boat. grinding altars of lilith and renown to help.

also getting my first sacred weapon was a quick boost, and is making T1 renown/altar farming a delightful curb stomp.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

alcaras posted:

Is this accurate?

my current understanding on optimum-ish play:
- finish campaign asap, since you can't get to world tier 3 without finishing it
- you also get your mount in act 4, which speeds up moving around the world
- once you're done with the campaign, prioritize getting renown 3 in all zones (for the extra skill points)
- you'll probably want to tackle the capstone dungeon around L45-50 and unlock wt3
- then focus on renown 5 in all zones (for the extra paragon points)
- helltide events are a great way to gear up, but only up every other hour
- you can dabble in nightmare dungeons as well, but prioritize renown 5 first
- you'll probably want to tackle the capstone dungeon around L60-65 and unlock wt4
- then do nightmare dungeons that are 3 levels above you (for 25% xp bonus) -- try to run Nightmare Dungeon Level (YourLevel - 51) [e.g. NM19 at L70] and keep doing helltide etc.

This matches my understanding, although the reneown -> paragon grind is long, so you might want to do T3 dungeons and poo poo before fully maxing all 5 renown areas.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

CLAM DOWN posted:

if this is accurate this helps me.

also, go back and do sidequests post-campaign too?

yeah, sidequests are really just renown grinds and an opportunity to go "curse your sudden yet inevitable betrayal!" over and over again.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Grabbing Altars of Lilith, I'm blown away by how much game there is you don't touch in the main quest. Entire regions and towns, with super unique visuals. It's honestly breathtaking.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

I said come in! posted:

Just two more regions left to fill out renown on. The extra paragon points (+4 for each region) are so nice.

Sadly I think only one of the 5 regions (Dry Steppes) has 4 paragon points in it. I got 4 while doing it, got stoked, and then never saw another one.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Arc Lash is the poo poo.

My lvl 51 highly optimized chain lightning sorc with good rolls on several resource generating aspects and all the chain lightning specific ones was… ok. Mostly needed cooldowns to make progress.

Swapped to Arc Lash even though I was skeptical, threw on random gear, and now I’m a woodchipper turning T3 dungeons and hell tides into sacred gear.

turns out the streamers and guide writers know a thing or too :v:

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

TorakFade posted:

Silly question but I'm still not at that point, being about halfway through act 4: if you skip the campaign on a new character after completing it once, do you just get plonked into the world at lvl1 with whatever realm-wide renown rewards you got, the horse, and just get dungeons/activities/sidequests?

exactly. 10 skill points, 100+ in all stats and a horse at level 1 is pretty funny.

Note that some world areas have minimum levels, if you head west from MainTown it’ll still be 5-7 monsters for example.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

just found a few more upgrades for arc lash and got my key bindings sorted to save my carpal tunnel and I Am Having Fun.

Itemization reminds me of my favorite moments in early playthroughs of D1 and D2. I know there’s cool poo poo out there, but not exactly what or how to get it. Grind grind grind grind grind.

coelomate fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jun 7, 2023

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

I find the population level really solid. Mostly I’m doing my own thing, but events almost always have others, towns always do, and the overworks sometimes does. Makes for a good blend and way more organic than instances in D2/D3.

also if you want to see other players farm altars of lilith lol. Always see folks showing up at them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

I had 2 million gold, then spent literally a million on some minor enchanting / upgrading in early WT3. Also almost out of the yellow crafting material. It’s definitely a balancing act, with costs going parabolic to min/max.