Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Not even sure I’ll buy it; I’m waiting to see how playable it is in China. But Ps5 or steam deck? drat I want both but poo poo is $70 expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Are there any rogue builds that use both the bow and melee weapons? I see there are passives and paragon nodes to support mixing marksman and cutthroat skills, but I feel that kind of thing usually doesn’t work out in arpgs.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

I don’t follow streamers or whatever, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they especially don’t want the game to fully release in a state where it’s possible to follow a guide and get tanky and strong enough to not have to engage with combat at all. That certainly wouldn’t offer a nice first impression.

A big round of nerfs after 2 days isn’t really a good look, but it’s better than the game being super easy if you happen to take the right skills. Especially if one point by which the game differentiates itself from its competitors is in combat feel.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Paradoxically, the game might be the hardest at Veteran difficulty.

Not terribly surprising. This was how Grim Dawn worked. Early veteran was way tougher than anything until ultimate difficulty DLCs if you were prepared and knew what benchmarks you needed to hit to survive.

Boss fights in T2 seem pretty tedious sometimes. I switched from a sever necro to a twisting blades rogue because the necromancer tore through packs, but just took forever against bosses.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

I can say for some builds, at least, there are definitely gigantic power spikes as things come online through the campaign in spite of level scaling. I’m very early and have an extremely noobish rogue build that I’m sure ARPG veterans would laugh at, but where the game would sometimes put up a fight on T2, once I hit level 30, I just started exploding rooms instantly and evisceratjng bosses with ease. And I have a stupid build that I’m playing badly.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Saltpowered posted:

WT2 shouldn’t exist except for alts. There’s no good reason to do it other than having a overgeared and stated alt. Even then it’s questionable because the benefit of doing it is so low versus the health increase on mobs.

If it was +50%, there might be an argument for it.

I mean, I think the “argument” is for it to be a more challenging option for people who like the campaign and aren’t necessarily in a hurry to get to the endless endgame grind.

For me, personally, I’ve had a typical reverse difficulty curve so far on wt2 where it started out tough but now feels pretty easy. I’m only level 36 and just starting act 4, though.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Just finished the campaign. The story was okay at maintaining a consistent mood and had some fun characters, but the overall plot really didn’t make sense in a lot of places.

The game is really good! Difficulty on wt2 completely evaporated after level 25 or so, and a legendary aspect with health regen per stack of momentum made my rogue completely unkillable in act 6, but I’m looking forward to messing around in endgame a little before inevitably getting bored.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

mcbexx posted:

I'm a Druid, not a Rogue. So I don't have inner sight.
I still run across a random mob with it and have no way of knowing what it is.

It’s a damage reduction aura that makes other enemies much tougher but doesn’t affect the monster that provides it. There’s a loading screen tip that explains it, but even though I had seen that tip, I also didn’t make the connection at first.

WT3 doesn’t mess around, huh. Even in the WT2 capstone dungeon, survival was no problem, but my rogue’s damage fell off a cliff and elites started to feel like a slog unless I hit my rotation just right. My damage doesn’t suck particularly more in WT3 (it’s still not great), but everything now kills me super fast.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

The stupid battlement launcher is constantly getting stuck at “waiting for another update” and won’t let me play diablo. Very annoying. It launches eventually, but it takes forever. Does anyone else have this issue?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

That chart of builds is really interesting, but I wonder how meaningful it really is. There are people reporting playing off-meta builds and doing fine. Icy vein’s tier list even put flurry as s-tier and yet it’s only at 5%. Obviously that’s not to say there are no balance issues at all, but I don’t think we can extrapolate that only the popular builds are any good.

Do the additional effects of rare glyphs also increase with level? I haven’t found any yet, but if they don’t, some of the effects look strong and others look really anemic. Who would ever care about -0.5 second cooldown on infusion skills?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Is it possible that decreasing outlying monster density in specific dungeons is just establishing a baseline that can then be more easily and consistently changed later? It seems premature to conclude that the developers have made up their minds that the current experience in dungeons is immutable and mob density will never be increased.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Vulnerable damage on gear being multiplicative seems really at odds with its numbers on gear. I would be really surprised if it stays that way, since it’s as common and comes in numbers as big as other, additive damage boosts. I always kind of thought that vulnerable itself is multiplicative, but damage to vulnerable is additive with damage to other status effects.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Tiny Timbs posted:

Kinda regretting respeccing my blight CE necro to bone spears. Yeah it does a lot of damage but now I can’t use more than three or four without having to spend ages refilling my essence.

Does anything in the game actually explain this? The additive vs multiplicative thing wasn’t clear to me until I watched some YouTube video about damage buckets. I don’t know how you’re supposed to math your way into these conclusions just based on the tooltips.

Advanced tooltips do specify for most things. The one really weird one, which I sort of expect to be changed, is vulnerable damage. Apparently that’s multiplicative, but everything about the itemization suggests it’s additive (like, why the gently caress would anyone ever use a bow instead of a crossbow on a rogue if the crossbow gives a multiplicative damage boost and the bow gives an additive one?)

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Any particular build people are having fun with on Rogue? Don't care if it's not streamer quality Best or whatever. Just trying to see what other people are enjoying. Feel like my damage is low but I'm also like level 30 so no clue if this is normal or not, compared to how much things exploded on my other characters around this stage.

I’m specifically trying to avoid “meta” builds and have a weird rogue build at about level 55 that is pretty fun. My goal was to make a build that actually uses both melee and a bow, and I ended up with combo points with blade shift, flurry, rapid fire, caltrops, and poison imbue. I’m still undecided on my 6th skill and capstone, though I think Concealment for unstoppable and to jumpstart vulnerability is best and I’m currently using CQC for the capstone. The idea is bladeshift builds combo points and reduces evade cooldown super fast, flurry with poison imbuement stuns and wipes out packs while providing a big attack speed bonus and rapid fire bursts down single target with big crits. Caltrops lets me sustain vulnerable and chills enemies, letting me keep up barrier (and hence damage bonus with barrier) with all the evading I do. Definitely not the strongest build, but it’s working so far and is fun to play.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Orange Crush Rush posted:

The problem is when you try to do something on your own that is cool and fun (like say, a Walking Arsenal/Iron Maelstrom build for Barb) you find out pretty quick that even if you have invested a lot time and resources on gear, skills, paragons etc you still fall flat on your face the moment you try something in T4.

On a totally unrelated note, can Blizzard maybe buff WA and or IM. Or at least make a change where not taking all three shouts is shooting your self in the foot on every build ever.

It’s the journey, not the destination. I only check guides to get ideas, but I religiously avoid following them specifically. If I haven’t built a character that’s at least partially unique and “my own”, I don’t want to play it. I’m a little sad that I had no free time this week and ffvxi is coming out on Thursday, so I won’t get to figure out if I could make my wacky rogue work on wt4.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

As someone who has played the game pretty slowly, and has only gotten 1 character to 52 so far. This game was very fun. Even if I don’t decide to grind to 100 or even 70, I greatly enjoyed the experience.

I will for sure check out each content update, but this is not a game that requires a consistent playerbase as it’s largely a one and done payment game and Blizzard already made a ton on it.

Same. The game is really good and I wish I were playing it now instead of being stuck at work. I don’t care that people with unlimited free time have already played for 200 hours and burnt themselves out.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Granstein posted:

Like I said earlier, basically any frost build can work...If it has ice shards. They really need to nerf ice shards and buff basically all the other frost skills. Which is true of...Every element? Firewall seems to be the only fire skill worth using, and arc lash the only lightning skill worth using (Outside of enchantment slots, where there's a bit more variety). That's not to say you can't make some other skills work, but they're all demonstrably weaker for no real reason.

I think a lot of the problem is that, for most classes, the best builds are the ones that can consistently apply vulnerability. Ice shards being able to do that on its own, along with frost nova applying it to groups, means not playing ice shards is just handicapping your damage. My controversial hot take is that vulnerability should flat out be removed from the game and every skill should be balanced upwards in some way to compensate. The way the game works right now just totally revolves around applying vulnerability, stacking vuln damage on items, almost every class taking exploit as one of their first glyphs, etc. It warps the whole game around itself, to the detriment of a lot of skills that can't take advantage of it as well (On top of a lot of skills just having bad damage numbers in and of themselves).

I think the issue is just sources of vulnerable damage being multiplicative. They absolutely seem balanced to be additive with other “damage to enemies with condition x” properties. If vulnerability were “just” a multiplicative +20% damage boost that competed in build space with crowd control, it would be strong, but not so clearly dominant. It’s clear vulnerable damage needs to become additive, maybe some classes can get multiplicative “vulnerability effectiveness” on passives/paragon tree/ legendary affixes, and most skills need to have their damage output significantly buffed to compensate.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

drat the jump from T1 to T3 as a Rogue is rough - damage feels good still, but I was already feeling fairly squishy and now I feel like I have to be extremely attentive because I can get spiked down fast as hell. Any tips for feeling a little less fragile without having to sacrifice too much DPS?

So far I think Barbarian and Druid feel the best to play - really chunky, satisfying skills and pretty durable. Rogue is a lot of fun too, zipping around and just melting people is always a good time, though you definitely have to kinda constantly aware of when your movement skill cooldowns and when its time to burn them. Bone Necro is really strong but not really my preferred way to play, and I haven't even tried Sorc yet.

What build are you playing? I had the same experience going into t3, but after a few levels, it now feels easier than act 6 and the capstone in t2 as long as I’m not getting cced and spiked down.

I used the basic skills give 20% damage reduction aspect and the poisoned enemies do less damage passive. The heal on crit passive is enough for me in terms of sustain, though if you use momentum, there’s a really strong regen aspect that helps a lot there as well.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Chocobo posted:

I'm level 50 and my world tier 1 kill/clear speed on all content is the exact same as it was at level 1 with basic skill auto attacking. Does it get better? Do you ever feel powerful?

I had a huge power spike around level 30 in wt2, then a valley as I became invincible, but did low damage at the end of the campaign, and now at 55 I’m hitting another big power spike and am vaporizing elites faster than during the campaign. You can absolutely feel really powerful if you pay attention to your build.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Everybody is rightly mocking that guy for the “200 hours played in 3 weeks but you’re all idiots for liking the game thing”, but I personally want to address the “you only like the game because it’s by Blizzard and called Diablo” argument. I wasn’t particularly into d2 (respect for starting the genre, and I did play lots of hours of medianXL, I must admit) and d3 couldn’t hold my attention for more than 20-30 hours. I have no good feelings about blizzard or any of its games. I was planning on avoiding this game because it’s developed by a company with a horrible, toxic reputation that makes games I’m lukewarm on, then changed my mind when I saw early reviews. Now it’s possibly beating out Last Epoch as my favorite arpg. The game has issues, but is legitimately a good game even if it’s not providing the things you specifically want.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

poo poo, somehow I missed that I love the implication that if you can’t play 14 hours of Diablo a day, you’re a pitiful specimen of the unwashed masses who’s bad at life. The art of the arpg far transcends the meager understanding of the working classes.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Vic posted:

edit: You guys really love posting about each other huh

The thread is so terrible it’s impossible not to.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

The wraiths are ridiculously nasty, but it is a very, very telegraphed attack. They only do the big arrow shot after one of the big wraiths charges them up. You can either kill the archer or the big wraith to prevent the nasty attack.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Jimbot posted:

I think Blizzard needs to reign it in a little bit with the pool of modifiers. Like Crowd Control Duration and Control Impaired Duration Reduction are separate things that effect different effects. Like, why? Just combine the two.

Those are opposite, but “control impaired duration reduction” is extremely awkward terminology. The first effect increases the duration of your cc on enemies. The second decreases the duration of the enemies’ cc on you.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

It's simpler than that. The developers behind D4 all came from MMOs and think ARPG players love doing respectable christian damage against a monster that takes a thousand years to kill. This is the approach they will always take toward game balance because they genuinely believe slowly plodding through a dungeon is the apex of entertainment. Things like infinite teleport, clearing out a room of monsters in one hit, moving at lightspeed like in D2/3 are very scary for them and if someone does figure out a way to do that they'll remove it.

Those things all suck.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Stux posted:

there are a ton of rpgs which do that very successfully. there are roughly 3-4 competent loot focused arpgs across the entire 25 years of the genre existing and each of them took like 10 years of patching and tweaking to get to a good spot. its not really surprising why ppl want more of the very rare and hard to design game and less of the extremely common one if they like the former.

like genuinely if you want to play a new encounter/combat focused challenging rpg u have an incredible number of games to choose from. if you want to play a new loot focused arpg youre hosed because youve played them all and new ones rarely get the time to develop into something fun and complex.

But what if you want a game with good gameplay and arpg style mechanical depth? Then you’re screwed, because nobody makes them, and every time devs try to make arpgs more interesting, the core community pitches a fit.

I’m half joking, and I know there are games with a lot of mechanical depth and good gameplay (team ninja games have this, though they have their own issues). I just am firmly on the side of wanting more friction during gameplay and wish it were possible to have that.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

unattended spaghetti posted:

I love ER and the From catalogue as much as the next person, but I think the core of ARPG combat should be mildly threatening most of the time and extremely threatening some of the time. From combat wants you to be very switched on pretty much always.

Not saying it’s not dope though, it is. But even at the spikier end of difficulty I do think ARPGs should pose less friction on average than something like ER. That’s a matter of personal taste obviously and hell maybe I’m wrong and people would love it.

But Team Ninja tried to put ARPG loot in their games and people hate it.

I strongly agree with all of this except that I mostly like team ninja diablo loot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

hawowanlawow posted:

everyone has been trying to strike that middle ground in ARPGs this whole time and nobody has managed to do it yet, probably impossible

Someone will get there eventually. I feel like point to move controls are a huge roadblock that maybe is finally starting to be cleared.