Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

You all need a day dedicated to torturing cows to get nutrients found in leafy greens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

People sharing levelling builds is so funny. The path through level 25 is just you loving around with all of the abilities and seeing what feels fun with no penalty. Once you find what feels fun and strong you can literally invent a build wholesale by looking at and even using the search function on the skill tree in game. Then the best build is going to change depending on what stuff you get and you can casually browse the in game systems to see what sounds fun and strong. This is the fun part of the game. The unintuitive part about builds comes late in the paragon system (like 80+) when you have shitloads of options. If someone as wretchedly annoying as a YouTuber can make up a build you can too.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Some rando got Goon Squad seconds after it launched. I guess we are doing LLJK now. Same whisper list.

lol

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

If you're getting errors after queue on PC I recommend just biting the bullet and restarting the launcher - it's to do with game licenses I think

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

My Diablo 4 player story is there's a bug persistent from server slam that makes menus lag intolerably on certain configs if you don't have the high res assets installed. This didn't happen in beta 2. I didn't preload them and it's going to take me like 36 hours to download them

If you're having the game basically freeze loading the social menu (O key) or inventory this seems to be it. Download the high res assets

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

I said come in! posted:

Level 14 and on act 2 now, two hours into playing.

Sounds fun :)

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

I'm level 45 already because I watched 30 hours of kripparian optimal levelling route videos and downloaded the mobacrafters build overlay to most optimally pick my skills for me within 1% of optimal power. So far nothing has been on screen for more than half a second (thanks CraftafarianYT for the tip about world tier. World tier 2 is a total noob trap) and I'm craving for "end game" so completely and soulfully I can feel myself weep as I meticulously route to every Lilith statue on the path being done with the 'campaign'

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Watched a video review and I'm so depressed

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

I said come in! posted:

Half way through act III, you can no longer skip cutscenes lol.
this is a bug that goes away by restarting (its been there since beta 1 at least)

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Lucky hit is what it says it does - 10% chance for 8 energy - except this is multiplied by the lucky hit chance of your skill (which might be something like 30%) - acting like a proc coefficient. You can add to your lucky hit coefficient in other ways.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

it's going to be bad for a day or two when they open the gates for physical copies and people only willing to spend $70. Good luck everyone

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

I ran across the map to get the charged bolts aspect on sorc that people call good. I googled it and it's top aspect in guides. it's utterly inconsequential. 15% of casts travel further and home in. I read it and thought "that's bad, must be something more to it". Nope. Sorc generally feels pretty boring - the fun skills (meteor and incinerate and frozen orb) are really bad. I'm switching to barb or druid the moment I finish the campaign

Still rocking up to event bosses and watching their hp melt the second I get in there after 2-3 other players have been at it for a bit

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Wow is in the best state it's been in a decade, Diablo 4 absolutely whips rear end, OW2 is a very, very good game but is sadly an out-of-its-time gameplay design that requires people to intensively aim. It's the summer of blizzard baby

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Diablo 3 was 11 years ago. You weren't at your post for the 'always online' war, soldier. The enemy won, it's over.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

smoobles posted:

Lol what on earth is this. I'm guessing each square upgrades your damage or immunities by like 1 or 2 points so you still feel like you're progressing over your 600 hours of gaming?

Does one of the massive skill tree upgrades increase my running speed by 2%, perhaps

A lot of words for you looking at a tiny picture and making up something to get mad at

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

queeb posted:

Are there any classes that drop their basic skill and just run a core skill for damage and have decent resource generation? Blizzard leaning into builder/spender for every class with basic attacks feeling so trash is lame. And the Barbarian whirlwind changes kinda shows that's how they want things to be, no easy resource generation, you must hit your basic attacks a few times before your core skill

This is how ice shard sorc and firewall sorc work. No builders. But it takes a fair bit of gear optimisation

The weird thing about sorc is there are 3 solid builds and everything else is roughly 30% as good as those builds. Do other classes have this issue?

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

I can't justify why there are jewellery/armour vendors that sell rares that cost what is roughly the total amount of gold you'd have at that level. Just total noob traps.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

site posted:

my fireball/hydra/blizzard sorc is really starting to hit a wall now that i'm at 40. what're the skills i'm supposed to be using

Those 3 abilities have no real multiplicative growth and fall off rapidly as you've noticed. There is probably a reasonable fireball build possible but it's pretty much just builds entirely focused around:

-ice shards + frost nova and all the mana skill tree synergies, the ice shards enchantment, and +damage to cc and, later, cooltown reduction

-arc lash with stun synergies and the ult. You can mix it up by including chain lightning

-firewall + it's obvious synergies and enchantments

There is potential for other builds but they will be hugely shaped by hard-to-get gear synergies to reduce cooldowns and let you cast them a lot
I think sorc is uniquely in poor shape this way with 70% of the skills being unusable at a baseline at the start of WT3 but there's hope for experimentation

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Incremus posted:

Curious if anyone else has had the error code: BLZBNTAGT00000BB8 misery I have had. The game will launch sometimes, but other times demands an update, which fails almost every time with this error code and the not-at-all-helpful error text

Trying "Scan and Repair" causes the same error 9 times out of 10, but occasionally it randomly works and the game actually launches. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the game with and without high-res textures, uninstalled and reinstalled the battle.net client, ensured the game has "public networks" firewall access, which seems like it might somehow relate per Google, and manually deleted entire installation directory folders and started over, and nothing seems to help. This also happened to me in the closed beta, but I chalked it up to typical beta stuff and didn't dig further. Posting in hopes anyone has had luck resolving this and/or just to vent spleen otherwise

Run CHKDSK on your hard drive and report back

Hashy fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 5, 2023

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Aspects don't level up, you should save good low level rolls for endgame stuff you intend to keep around

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

gently caress all this other poo poo what's the waypoint with the closest salvager, enchanter & vendors. I think its cerrigar

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Do I really need to go find all the Lillith statues. I think I've found like 5 and I'm in endgame

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Hashy posted:

Do I really need to go find all the Lillith statues. I think I've found like 5 and I'm in endgame

Why did you all think I meant go find them without a map? Finding them WITH a map sounds tedious enough to want to just not launch Diablo 4 again. why is character power tied to this

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

blizzzzzzzzaaaaaaaarrrrrrrddddddddd
Are we making fun of people that spend $25 on cosmetics itt?

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

The sorc build metagame right now is to try to get all 4 defensives on your bars to be able to survive and it kinda blows lol

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

zoux posted:

I hated those mfs
Agree. glad I don't have some nerd to constantly gear out and revive for 1% dps return or as some stupid passive buff bot in the case of D2. Useless fiddly poo poo

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Firewall sucks so bad for single target it's not even a contest for me. You can get to the point of taking your generator off your bar with ice shards which is probably enough said

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

neurotech posted:

I am feeling some serious buyer's remorse. The fight-to-fight gameplay is not that enjoyable so far. I'm a 50 Sorcerer and every build I've tried feels similar: get a big spike of power/damage and then run around doing comparatively little damage while cooldowns count down and/or mana regenerates. Is this just how sorc is meant to feel? I really want to like this game (mainly because I forked out $140 AUD to buy it) and let it get it's hooks in me.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I roll another class that is less "feast or famine" like sorc? I don't really know what to do.

Depends what you're describing. I don't stop casting ice spike as an ice spike build but it's feast or famine in as much as I delete packs when ice nova is ready and am very single-target and hunting for freeze procs when it isn't, but it's still pretty fun and strong during that. Are you talking about arc lash waiting for unstable currents? Firewall waiting for inferno?

Maybe take a break until season 1 starts?

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

why are there so many posts in this thread that are like "controller is excellent, i cant believe i played diablo without it before. by the way i cant aim any ranged skills properly and i may as well take teleport off my bars for how little control i have over it"

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Ive found 3 uniques so far and two of them are the same unique and the second copy was way lower ilvl and rolls than the first. all I want is the sorc teleport chest

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Busy Bee posted:

I have a dual monitor setup and sometimes I want to "exit" the game to check something on my 2nd monitor but when I do that the game starts to lag and gets muted. Is there a way for it not to do that? I already have it set to windowed fullscreen but it's not working as intended.

You have background fps set to default which is like 8fps or something

There will be an audio in background setting somewhere too

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Just did a Tier19 nightmare dungeon at level 58. What's the sweet spot for XP?

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

bamhand posted:

I don't mind some pvp but allowing 4 man gank squads all with the immunity bubble to just roam around is not fun at all.

Good. the idea of rpg PvP combat isn't to be fun

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

gotta say getting to 59 after doing a few nightmare dungeons was disappointing; immediately recognising the exact same grind as seasonal d3 to the stage that my brain immediately transferred of all my burnout from playing that a little for a couple of seasons. im gunna put this down because the idea of shuffling gear around (mainly, sorting through my chest tabs) to try out any other builds is tiring.

helltides are about checking mystery chest spawns and doing extremely low density mob grind to unlock them, and nightmare dungeons are, uh, not that exciting. there arent enough systems or experiences to look forward to once you're done with T3. needs another layer or three.

extremely good campaign experience but lasting 9 levels into the end game is pretty sad. ill be happy to pick it back up for season 1 and check it out

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Megasabin posted:

Either I'm playing wrong or sorc is way undertuned compared to other classes in the early-middle end game. I just got to world tier 4 in the mid level 60's and it is shockingly obvious how poorly I perform compared to my friends with other classes.

Most sorc build options are the same ( (Use all 4 defensive skills + 1 damage skill and just spam-- Teleport --> Frost Nova --> Core Skill of Choice) and they all have the same limitation-- they only perform well against groups of enemies. This is for 2 reasons-- both the damage & their ability to maintain their mana pool are tied to hitting large amounts of enemies at the same time. Their damage is tied to AOE mechanisms causing chain reactions (Ice shards, chain lightning, charged bolt, fireball enhancement slot) and your single target DPS drops off significantly. More important than that, all the aspects that regenerate mana are tied to hitting lots of dudes and do not work well against small packs or single targets.

It can take twice as long to kill the 2-3 remaining dudes than it did to kill the group of 100. It can take forever to kill a boss or difficult elite. You run out of mana very often against tanky single targets. If you get a tanky pack of enemies who can survive your initial frost nova combo, you are going to be in a lot of trouble. This remains true despite me being very lucky and having amazing gear with multiple uniques like Raiment of the infinite and Iceheart Brais for an ice shard build or Staff of Lam Essen for a charged bolt build (Ice shard build does 3-4x the damage of a charged bolt build).

Apparently this remains a problem for every sorc build until you can accumulate a very high amount of mana regen so you can actually use your core skill at will. That will essentially require excellent rolls on helmet, boots, amulet, and focus. That's also ignoring the need to accumulate huge amounts of cooldown reduction so you can actually use frost nova more often than every 12-14 seconds.

I know the answer might be just to go back down to World Tier 3, but none of my friends are having that issue with the other classes. My brothers bow rogue has such high DPS he can easily solo clear nightmare dungeons with enemy levels in the upper 70's. Barbarians and druids at level 65 seem to be able to easily tank and beat down the level 73-80 mobs. The only other class I don't know much about is the necromancer.

Anyone else playing sorc around this level and have any recommendations?
Yeah I was playing frost shard and could solo nightmare dungeons with level 75 mobs at level 60 without any 725+ gear (power breakpoint). You don't want cdr really, or even mana regen. you want lucky hit (paragon board legendary node for vuln, gear rolls etc) and the avalanche aspect. You want the frost shard skill that makes enemies vulnerable. You want +damage to vuln. Basically you already delete 97% of elite packs by just hitting frost nova so you want to min-max single target damage and you want long avalanche + mana procs chains. I will run out of mana once or twice on a boss due to unlucky procs but that's it, and I will not have frost nova up for every pack but I do enough single target that that's fine.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Mahatma-Squid posted:

Is there a solution for the freezes on opening menus and dialogue boxes on PC? It's a bit annoying!

Install the ultra textures but don't use them

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

You don't need to learn the lingo to run the T1 cinematic leveling experience and hitting the imps with any random stick will finish the campaign. Afterwards if you want to get on the current endgame treadmill, there are only a few viable skill combos that 95% of the gold farmers and internet beggars run because the majority of skills in this game are so anemic they can be considered cosmetic.

Unbelievably grim

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

That Little Demon posted:

It is if you are a fextralife guide reader to be sure

You'll feel it once you get bored of the on-meta build you funneled into because the balance really is that bad don't worry

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

That Little Demon posted:

Homie I’m 78 and play 12 hours a day with imp zone. Games a blast and I don’t have to follow some streamers build lmdao. You are skill issued and coping.

What is imp zone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Hooplah posted:

my friend bamboozled me into buying this game by saying it was better than d3 and was more like a mix of d2 and d3 with a dash of poe, so i figured i'd post my thoughts to him here

this game has some mmo-rear end gameplay. adding cooldowns to everything is by far the worst way to balance your skills, it's so loving braindead.

am i completely off base here? does the game stop being cooldown management at some point? because honestly if a skill in an arpg has a cooldown greater than 5 seconds it might as well not even exist to me. oh and i assume the gearing gets better, because right now i feel like i'm in kindergarten the way items are presented to me

I dunno what you're talking about with cooldown management being braindead but I don't think you'll enjoy the game if this is such a bugbear for you because nothing really changes, no; there are a lot of abilities that have a cooldown over 5 seconds. I'm sorry. Every build I can think of juggles multiple.

The gearing is about as deep as any other ARPG I can think of (my fault if anything is that it's too fiddly) and greener = better only applies to weapons, and only to an extent. Your friend was spot on with that description so don't be too mad at them