Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

I dont know if this make much sense but I thought it about it waking up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Megasabin posted:

I am really struggling to understand some aspects of lucky hit. I understand that at it's core it's a proc coefficient to balance skills that have different frequency of "hits" per cast. For example, whirlwind would have a low lucky hit because the frequency of hits are very high, where as meteor has a high lucky hit because it just hits once each cast. The skills themselves have a lucky hit % and what happens when the lucky hit triggers is dependent on what skills/gear you take.

This is easy to understand if your lucky hit effects is some sort of instantaneous damage or CC. The lucky hit triggers and you get the effect. I am getting very tripped up on lucky hit effects that are not instantaneous.

For example, if I take Ball Lightning as a mastery slot on Sorc, it states, " Lucky Hit: Critical Strikes have up to a 25% chance to spawn ball lightning". How do I interpret this? Anytime I get a lucky hit with any skill, then for some duration of time, alll my critical strikes with any skill will have a 25% chance to summon a ball lightning? But how long does it last? Is it indefinite until it occurs and then the bonus goes away? Is it a set period of time and if so, why does it not tell you how long it lasts?

Furthermore, I know there are ways to modify your luck hit chance with equipment/paragon board, but can you actually modify a lucky hit effect? For example, I can increase the lucky hit rate of chain lightning from 25% to higher with gear/paragon board, but is there anyway to modify that 25% chance to summon a ball lightning on critical strikes? I would think without a way to change that 25%, some lucky hit effects are going to suck. Like Meteor as an enchantment adds, "Lucky Hit: Up to 8% chance to summon a meteor". So not only do you need to land lucky hits, but then there's only an 8% chance on each lucky hit to actually get the effect. If there is no way to increase the 8%, that ability seems rather useless.

I think in your example if your Lucky Hit also crits, there's a 25% chance to get your Thing. So, 3 success rolls essentially - LH, then Crit, then Thing roll. If your LH is 10% and crit is 10% then you would get your Thing 0.1 * 0.1 * 0.25 or overall a 0.25% chance. Or a 1 in 400 chance every "hit" of the cast, which may not be bad if every cast hits about 10 times and you can cast about twice a second.

What's hard for me is that instinctually there's value in maximizing your lucky hit % per second. But while that part of the equation is listed plain in the tooltip, the number of "hits" a spell has, or can generate per second, is something you just have to feel out. If a meteor hits 3 targets and has 50% LH, and I can cast one every 1.2 seconds, is that better or worse than WW hitting those same targets for 1.2 channeled seconds? That depends on the WW pulse rate, which I guess scales off IAS, but maybe not?

yadda yadda and so on

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Like 13 years ago I used to play D2 with a coworker on our lunch breaks and we called it "Thursdiablo." Sad we fell out of touch

Thinking of them on this Thursdiablo

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Doomykins posted:

I tried to play the videogame immediately but I had to wait 20 minutes and are you familiar with the greatest tragedies in human history because we are joining their ranks.

waiting in this server queue lobby, I finally understand Grave of Fireflies now

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Cant wait to play at exactly 4 pm today with no queue, hiccups or disconnects.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Yeah PS players seem screwed so far

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Typical Blizzard hubris to promote a world first competition. PS5 players are already out of the running

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Requested to join LLJK as Course aka Cession_123 aka whatever the gently caress my Blizzard handle is anymore.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

On my HC character I had just finished all renown rewards and was feeling pretty good. I was 75, riding high on Paragon points and ready to start the NM dungeon grind in earnest.

But first, a capstone dungeon. A tier 4 capstone dungeon? Something about Lilith. It says level 75 recommended and hey that's me! I go in.

Yeah, it's the Lilith boss fight alright. But I had a death resist pot rolling, some scrolls of escape and thought hey why not?

She spawns at level 85. Okay, sure. I'll just be more careful, and more ready to peace out with the scroll.

After 1 second her level raises to 100 and my death pot immediately procs. Nothing to dodge, no draining health, just dead. I pop a heal and try scramble to scroll out using the wheel, but just as my 2 second invuln wears off I die for real.

It was all over in the span of literally 3 seconds.

Couldn't help but laugh. I guess this is a good time to take a break!

RIP BoneZone, too good for this cruel world. At least you left a beautiful corpse.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

You PC players and your keyboard advantages...

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

As others have said most CC is very well televised (at least compared to previous Diablos), but even if it wasn't it's still very important to have.

First of all, it's supposed to suck. Conscious effort goes into making them feel more intense than they are, and is one of the few times your character is presented as weak and fragile, when 99% of the time nearly every gameplay aspect is tuned to do the opposite.

But why even have it? CC is a tool to press back on the player as the player presses on the game. Other tools are damage, enemy health, enemy speed and move cadence, and so on. CC exists to be able to tune those other things down, in order to create a well balanced overall difficulty. Without CC then those other things would have to be tuned higher to compensate, and you'd run into the pitfalls found in many ARPGs, such as getting 1-shot, or mindlessly wailing on a hitpoint sponge with scientific notation amounts of health, or enemies that dart around too fast or have immunity too often (you remember that D3 affix that made the elite invulnerable while they had adds alive?)

The more CC you have, the longer it is, the less you have to punish the player for getting hit by it. Obviously everything has its limitations and I'm not saying the above stuff doesn't happen occasionally in D4 as well, but I do think it happens much less, and I do think that more prevalent CC mechanics has had a part in making combat overall much smoother and learnable.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

My ideas for Season 1

- Make webs last longer
- Make respecs more expensive
- Add dances
- Make PVP mandatory to progress to WT5

this, no irony

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Cervix-A-Lot posted:

Ahavarion Spear of Lycander (Uber Unique Staff – World Tier 4): Gain a random Shrine effect for 10-20 seconds after killing an Elite enemy. Can only occur once every 30 seconds.

Nobody will use this, ever.

Change this to "gain the conduit Shrine effect for 2-4 seconds" and I think it would be fun.

Me using it would get Greed every time

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

I like it when games get harder. I also like it when I have to think about it differently w/r/t stats, itemization, and growth overall.

Patch good!

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Hyped. Wish it came out today.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Make no mistake this patch will see the game's highest concurrent users, higher than launch, and Blizzard will put out a press release saying exactly that.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Honest question, do people filming stuff like this usually get makeup or no?

Sometimes yes, but most times no.

If a dev has to go to a different stage off the Blizzard campus they typically get makeup. They usually only do this for new or smaller games that do press because Blizzard doesn't have a dedicated decorated room for them. They probably get makeup as part of the overall package included with renting the stage (and AV, and catering...)

D4 is the big game that does have a room, and so traditionally they don't bring in makeup. They just call the guys to the room and turn the camera on (because Blizzard is cheap).

Joe Shely looks fuckin rough lol. Remember that the original D4 design leadership got turbo canceled by the Cosby House stuff so he got surprise promoted pretty late from just being the class guy to take over the whole thing. There's a.... sharp uptick in long, arduous meetings in your life after that happens.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

I'd probably pay for a fully kitted hero with all renown, altars, aspects, infinite resources, and 1 of every max rolled unique and uber unique just to fart around with builds and see which is Numerically Best.

I'd probably pay, oh, 20 bucks for one? No cap

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Summoner Necro seems pretty strong for me so far this season but gently caress me I cannot find a Ring of Mendeln to save my life.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Bisse posted:

I remember people posting screen shots of A Rainbow?!!!?!?! In MY Dibblers3??!_!

this old chestnut (not mine. I love rainbows, obviously)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

I had an idea way back that sets should be at the rare tier. Like, there's a lot of them and say the 6-set bonus has just as much of a stat budget as the 2-set or 4-set bonus so you feel like you can mix and match.

And then unique+ items are never sets, but they have an effect/stat budget that makes it worthwhile to break your sets for.