Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

feller
Jul 5, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

I'm at P73 and starting to feel myself drop off a little so I'll just post my thoughts now. This is me having played D2 and D3 for thousands of hours each over the course of my lifetime and having seen pretty much everything those games have to offer at the highest possible level (never found a Zod rune though :argh:). I was pretty down on Diablo IV from the start, wasn't a huge fan of anything during the beta, and after having taken an Arclash Sorc through a few NM30s and experiencing most of the content with a proper endgame setup... well unsurprisingly I'm still pretty eh about the entire experience. It has some good ideas like the Paragon boards and legendary aspects, but for every potentially interesting system, it's bogged down by lethargic game design that feels like it belongs in an MMO instead of an ARPG. Which honestly shoudn't be surprising to anyone, since I believe most of the developers who ended up shipping D4 initially started on WoW. And this lethargy extends to absolutely everything from class design to spell effects to the slowness of movement in a way that just gradually wears on me. The mounts, the "live events," the world bosses and such do absolutely nothing for me and kind of ruin the whole distillation of ARPGs that I absolutely love, which is getting into a flow state of endlessly killing monsters at lightspeed for the eternal promise of phat loot. Here everything is so restrained, so calculated, and ultimately kinda dull. Having to slowly walk around town with no teleport and the vendors all spaced out with no consistency to their arrangement per zone, having to trudge to the instance for almost a minute just to start an NM dungeon, all these little things might seem unimportant (they are, really) but they seriously interrupt the way I like to play these games.

I think it doesn't help that I started with Sorc, who I'm sorry to say is a pale imitation of the D2 Sorc and especially the D3 Wizard, two of my favorite classes ever. I loved my Nova Sorc from D2, the bold class silhouette and galaxy-bending magic of the D3 Wiz, and right now that class fantasy is totally lacking at the higher levels of the game. Slam all four defensive skills on your bars and feebly cast Arc Lash while trying not to fall asleep in between Frost Novas. That kind of thing is fixable with patches, but the wisdom in making her go OOM after like 3 casts and all her Core Skills super sucking makes you wonder where Blizzard's heads are at. It's like they kept the Wizard's high resource costs from D3 but forgot to give her Arcane Power instead of mana. Sorc needs a lot of work in pretty much every aspect of her design.

I recognize that I play these games at a different frequency and intensity than most people who just want to make their way through the story and be done with it, and for those players, I think D4 is a good time. The story isn't too bad and the environments are very nice to look at -- Scosglen and Kehjistan in particular. But it quickly falls apart after the campaign and I don't really feel any intense desire to level up another character or try out a new build in the same way that kept me coming back to each new D3 season for over 10 years. Blizzard hardly needs my endorsement though, and it seems like most people are enjoying it, so I'm happy for them. :) It's just not working for me right now.

I played wizard at d3 launch and it sucked a lot. The whole time, IIRC, was just spamming hydra and running away because literally everything one shot you. I'm disappointed but not surprised that blizzard screwed up in the same way, but at least they'll probably fix it eventually. But who knows how long that will be though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Mehrunes posted:

Is there an easy non-minion respec for summoner necros to get past the cathedral of light softlock?

I used bone spear, tendrils, the curse that makes them do less damage, and corpse explosion of course. Take the passives that buff core skills, bone skills, and defensives. Going blood mist may have been better than the curse, but I was too enamored with the passive that let me do more damage to cursed enemies.

I did use reaper skeletons though and had no problem with the boss despawning. Also this was supposedly hotfixed 4 hours ago.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Megasabin posted:

The rolls are not higher on sacred or ancestral uniques. It makes no difference

They are higher on legendaries though

feller
Jul 5, 2006

^^ ahh ok

Megasabin posted:

There are only two type of aspects in the game

1. Ones rolled from dungeons
2. Ones rolled from items.

That's it. It doesn't matter if the aspect is sacred or ancestral. Doesn't matter if it's ripped from an item level 300 legendary or an item level 900 legendary.

Then why are these different?

feller fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 12, 2023

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I left item power in? Also they said item level didn't matter

feller
Jul 5, 2006

ZeusCannon posted:

I just went to a level appropriate dungeon and had no issues with it until the boss who was a brick wall of HP that would not ever get off my rear end.

Is this expected

Was the boss named the butcher?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

negativeneil posted:

That D4 shipped with no ability to teleport to your fellow party members is it’s most egregious sin.

you can teleport to them. Go to the zone hub (the one hitting T takes you to) then click their portal

feller
Jul 5, 2006

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

I didn't 100% the snow biome. I did a handful of dungeons, some side quests, a couple forts and the main quests.

Perhaps they played the game more than you have

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Quote-Unquote posted:

When do I get the ability to dismantle and craft sigils? Is that a WT4 thing?

I've picked up maybe 40 sigils, two were tier 2 and the rest were 1. Seems nuts that they're so much easier than regular dungeons.

Dungeons scale to your character level. Nightmare dungeons are sigil level+53. They're not easier than normal once you're doing level appropriate ones.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

green eggs is a pretty good name

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Not knowing who donan is by act 4 is not really blizzard's fault lol

feller
Jul 5, 2006

CharlestonJew posted:

Also for some of them I can’t even unlock their bonuses until I upgrade the radius

Which ones?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

latinotwink1997 posted:

I’m currently running a lvl 71 flurry rogue, can tank and destroy things up to tier 30 at least (haven’t tried higher yet) and starting to think I’ll have to transition to TB for the higher NM dungeons.

What do TB rogues go for in terms of close vs ranged +dmg affixes?
Seems like you’re usually hitting the furthest target so distant is best, but I’ve read varying claims on what ‘close’ vs ‘distant’ is considered in this game.

there's a loading screen tip that says close= melee and distant is everything else

feller
Jul 5, 2006

latinotwink1997 posted:

Honestly, I’ve seen that but even my flurry hits dudes significantly further than if I were to run up and use invig strike on them (I use puncture now, don’t worry). So is my flurry not always benefiting from close affix or is ‘melee’ just sorta relative for whatever they decide?

I read more and more that upper tier NM you basically start to get one-shot no matter what you do and glass cannons start to take over. Maybe I’m wrong. I’ll use flurry as long as I can but might start to hold some gear that may benefit TB later on.

I haven't played rogue yet. Is flurry only supposed to hit in melee? I don't see anywhere on the skill or the 360 degree aspect that says that.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Zotix posted:

Thank you for your valuable input. I do appreciate Mr. level 45's take on how others should play a game, or spend their time. I do apologize I'm not a fulltime SA poster. I had 200 hours in 3 weeks playing a game, not posting on an internet forum.

sad

feller
Jul 5, 2006

soggybagel posted:

Is it just a build issue that I'm level 53 and doing some nightmare stuff and I've run into elites that have health regen aka Vampiric where my DPS was just not enough to kill them fast enough. I'd get them down to basically their last 1/8th of the health bar and they'd hit the cycle in their attack routine where they'd leech health. It was getting annoying. Is there any "counter" to this other than hit harder?

Do you have any CC?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Asproigerosis posted:

I'm not having fun with bonespear necro, I hate corpse explosion it's miserable and then when you're on a boss spamming for 5 minutes before you get your first loving corpse to spawn.

you can switch to the reap basic with the enhancement to guarantee a corpse. it's not like bone splinters is actually used

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Tokubetsu posted:

The community wisdom rn is the optimal way to do NM dungeons is your level -51. So you should be in Tier 13. I think that tier of dungeons is wt3 only though. So do helltides until you’re better geared I guess if you don’t want to drop down.

No, I think if they can beat t21 they should do t21

feller
Jul 5, 2006

WhiteHowler posted:

Good question. My weapon is upgraded, but my armor isn't. I figured it's mostly going to get replaced not long into WT3 so I didn't want to spend a lot of resources on it.

I'm taking Vulnerable and Crit when I can, but probably not enough of it. Decent gear seems harder to find than in D3.

it barely costs anything to upgrade to 3/5

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Substandard posted:

D3 added a pet that would just auto pickup gold and salvage everything but legendaries. I'd like that but I think we've probably got a while before they want to put anything like that in.

you really don't want to auto salvage all rares in d4. Maybe all non-ancestral or something would work though.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

lol

feller
Jul 5, 2006

cellars giving cinders does sound p sweet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Stux posted:

hes completely intolerable