Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favourite hosed up lil' guy in games?
This poll is closed.
Waluigi 36 29.27%
Waddle Dee 34 27.64%
Gollum 7 5.69%
Sonic 13 10.57%
freaky cartwheeling grey-skinned frog men from elden ring 28 22.76%
vectorman worm things that sometimes explode 5 4.07%
Total: 123 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

hatty posted:

Is the Witness bad or do people just hate Blow for justifiable reasons and can’t separate the art and artist

It is great. But it's also a bit up its own rear end, especially when it comes to the audio logs/"story". You can also just decide to ignore the audio logs like you can just ignore the books in Braid.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jun 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Witness is very good and has one of the greatest moments of realization in gaming

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

hatty posted:

Is the Witness bad or do people just hate Blow for justifiable reasons and can’t separate the art and artist

It is a good puzzle game, but it's also a game whose ultimate message is "gently caress you, the player, for wanting to 100% a game, here's a bunch of poo poo to waste your worthless time".

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Hwurmp posted:

June is Bad Takes Month

All games I like are amazing games.

All games I don't like are terrible.

Fighting games suck universally, this is objective fact.

Only one of these statements is a bad take.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I know exactly how replies to that post are going to go.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Evil Kit posted:

All games I like are amazing games.

it's this one, we all know goons like to hate-play bad games

also addendum: you are not allowed to have an opinion on The Witness unless you have finished The Challenge

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Evil Kit posted:

Only one of these statements is a bad take.

it's this one, now give me the treasure

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

hatty posted:

I thought it was incredible. IMO, a good puzzle should make me feel really smart for solving it, really stupid for having taken so long to solve it, and excited for all the possibilities the knowledge I accrued while solving it - preferably all three. The Witness was exceptionally good at eliciting those feelings reliably, and it did it largely without wasting your time with tedious traversal. (Doing the extra optional stuff could get very tedious, but you also shouldn't do that stuff beyond where it stops getting fun for you, stick to the puzzles)

Also, it was visually beautiful, imo. Plus there's that one moment that was just perfect.

Now, the actual underlying theme of "Are epiphanies really worth it? Or can seeking out that rush lead you to make bad decisions and see stuff that isn't really there?" is... not my favorite, but I didn't hate it. The actual puzzles were excellent though.

It's not as good as BABA, but what is.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jun 1, 2023

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

play Filament

it's like The Witness but without all the Blow

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Electric Phantasm posted:

Just buy them all

I'm making more of an effort this year to not play through half or most of a game and then get distracted by another before finishing, so i don't want to pile up my backlog more.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

and it did it largely without wasting your time with tedious traversal.

OK this is just a lie

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Hwurmp posted:

play Filament

it's like The Witness but without all the Blow

I didn't like Filament, because it felt more like guessing and trial and error than real thought. And iirc you can wind the line multiple times around a single column, which makes the problem space much, much larger.

There's also Taiji, which is Witness if it was a 2D game instead. Completely Blow-free.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
jonathan blowhard

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Note that I'm talking about the actual puzzles there, not the eye spy bits, and I'm also coming off Talos where 90% of the game is schlepping items back and forth so I'm speaking relatively. A half decade might also have left me only remembering the good bits, to be fair.

The Looker for a parody game is surprisingly fun and worth playing too though.

Edit: is The Challenge the timed bit at the end? That was pretty fun, perfect music choice too.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 1, 2023

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Oh, also, there's The Looker, a good short, free parody of The Witness

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

hatty posted:

The Witness' qualities are inversely proportional to Blow's qualities as a person.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
June is "playing through at least one of my unplayed, back-catalogue Steam games" month. Any and all recommendations are extremely welcome, especially if there are any majorly rubbish ones I should duck entirely.

Contenders are:

From Dust
Darkest Dungeon 1
Last Epoch
Metro Exodus
Monaco
Stalker: Call of Pripyat
Stalker: Clear Sky
Salt & Sanctuary
KOTOR II
Splinter Cell Conviction
Warhammer: Dawn of War II
Total War: Warhammer I
Wolcen
X:Com Chimera Squad

On the side, I am hopefully going to put a lot more time and effort into Dwarf Fortress and less into Slay The Spire, which is just dominating every other game I play by miles.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Get a couple friends to play Hellcard with you instead, and then you can play a game that totally isn't Slay The Spire and definitely not just Slay the Spire with multiplayer.

From the actual list I vote for Chimera Squad.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

frytechnician posted:

June is "playing through at least one of my unplayed, back-catalogue Steam games" month. Any and all recommendations are extremely welcome, especially if there are any majorly rubbish ones I should duck entirely.

Contenders are:

Warhammer: Dawn of War II

On the side, I am hopefully going to put a lot more time and effort into Dwarf Fortress and less into Slay The Spire, which is just dominating every other game I play by miles.

Dawn of War 2 is an excellent game, does a great job of mixing tactical rts combat with diablo-like action. The base game's campaign is fun, but the story really gets good in the Chaos Rising expansion.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I'm going to play Final Fantasy XVI this month

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

GlyphGryph posted:

Get a couple friends to play Hellcard with you instead, and then you can play a game that totally isn't Slay The Spire and definitely not just Slay the Spire with multiplayer.

Don't want to buy anything new until I've eaten (one of) my vegetables. Had a quick look a while at Hellcard and it looked neat but I think real life Pagan / Netrunner and StS have kind of set a pretty high standard for me, so I'll wait a bit.

sirtommygunn posted:

Dawn of War 2 is an excellent game, does a great job of mixing tactical rts combat with diablo-like action. The base game's campaign is fun, but the story really gets good in the Chaos Rising expansion.

Hmm... I have had a bit of a 40K itch after seeing the positive stuff about Boltgun and Diablo action sounds good too.

haveblue posted:

Probably the most unique one, you play a god with the power to terraform and the sand and liquid systems were really cool for the time

If you're going to drop one it should probably be this, there are way better 2D souls games

From Dust is one I felt bad about because I saw the gameplay and was really impressed but then played it for 5 minutes and never really gave it a chance before Dark Souls came along and cost me several hundred hours of my life.

frytechnician fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 1, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Probably the most unique one, you play a god with the power to terraform and the sand and liquid systems were really cool for the time

quote:

Salt & Sanctuary

If you're going to drop one it should probably be this, there are way better 2D souls games

e: boltgun fucks, solid boomer shooter

haveblue fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jun 1, 2023

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Hwurmp posted:

it's this one, now give me the treasure

Incorrect, if that were true all my statements wouldn't be bad takes and we all know fighting games are literally the worst.

ymgve posted:

it's this one, we all know goons like to hate-play bad games

also addendum: you are not allowed to have an opinion on The Witness unless you have finished The Challenge

Also incorrect, sorry

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

sirtommygunn posted:

Seconding this.
Especially if you like orks shouting "Space Marines!" as much as I do.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

it was my dad's birthday the other day. as i handed him his 50th birthday card he looked at me and said "one would've been enough".

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

bone emulator posted:

Seconding this.
Especially if you like orks shouting "Space Marines!" as much as I do.

SPESS MEHREHNS

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

haveblue posted:

I liked Talos but it probably should have had half the puzzles or less, it's just interminable

Also how can you have a poll about hosed up little men with no elden ring option

Good point! Mods please add "freaky cartwheeling grey-skinned frog men from elden ring" to the poll, thx!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Sally posted:

SPESS MEHREHNS

I like it a bit better in Space Marine, where it's SPICE MORINE

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

imo the shitness (pejorative)

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

Good point! Mods please add "freaky cartwheeling grey-skinned frog men from elden ring" to the poll, thx!

maybe "vectorman worm things that sometimes explode"?

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000
Apart from like three of the puzzles the Witness could have all been on a phone screen. You're wandering around a myst island except it's like if every time you got to a door some fucker popped out of a linking book and handed you their phone and said "finish these 72 puzzles on my phone then the door will open".

They were decent phone puzzles, but there was almost no point to them being on a myst island and it had nothing of the narrative or puzzle-integrated-with-narrative stuff that I want out of a game like that.

arteliad
Jan 4, 2014

Lord Bob posted:

Apart from like three of the puzzles the Witness could have all been on a phone screen. You're wandering around a myst island except it's like if every time you got to a door some fucker popped out of a linking book and handed you their phone and said "finish these 72 puzzles on my phone then the door will open".

They were decent phone puzzles, but there was almost no point to them being on a myst island and it had nothing of the narrative or puzzle-integrated-with-narrative stuff that I want out of a game like that.

I don't think you remember very many of the puzzles. Desert, Castle, Monastery, Autumn Woods, Flower Incubator, Village, and the final area puzzles all require existing in a 3D space.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
The Witness, Braid, and Jon Blow's favorite game Space Giraffe kick rear end.

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

arteliad posted:

I don't think you remember very many of the puzzles. Desert, Castle, Monastery, Autumn Woods, Flower Incubator, Village, and the final area puzzles all require existing in a 3D space.

That's still maybe 5% of the game. Cos there's so many of those fuckin panels.

I only did all the way up to getting the top of the mountain open, only to discover my reward for getting the mountain open was a mountain full of even more of the same panel puzzles and I flipped on outta there cos I was sick of them.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

We Love Katamari, Street Fighter 6, and Diablo IV all release today.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Can't decide if I should get fire emblem engage or advance wars

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://archive.is/V598B

Bloomberg published a piece about the making of Redfall and boy this seems rough. 70% of the original staff that made Prey ended up leaving the studio out of disinterest in working on a multiplayer game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

thehoodie posted:

Engage was the better game imo.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

thehoodie posted:

some people have taken to calling it "fire emblem disengage" so my vote is for advance wars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Lord Bob posted:

That's still maybe 5% of the game. Cos there's so many of those fuckin panels.

I only did all the way up to getting the top of the mountain open, only to discover my reward for getting the mountain open was a mountain full of even more of the same panel puzzles and I flipped on outta there cos I was sick of them.

you should be glad you didn't finish the mountain then, because the reward for completing the game is that it resets all the puzzles and sends you back to the start

(there is a game save right before you enter the final cutscene, so it's not completely dickish)