Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favourite hosed up lil' guy in games?
This poll is closed.
Waluigi 36 29.27%
Waddle Dee 34 27.64%
Gollum 7 5.69%
Sonic 13 10.57%
freaky cartwheeling grey-skinned frog men from elden ring 28 22.76%
vectorman worm things that sometimes explode 5 4.07%
Total: 123 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

why is the guy from morrowind calling me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

If only there was a thread were we could discuss exicting July releases like Exoprimal and WWE 2K23: Revel with Wyatt Pack DLC

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Jay Rust posted:

June chat thread review:
This month’s “theme” (video game jokes for kids) didn’t last past the first post.
Waluigi won the hosed Up Lil Guy contest, despite not being little.
Hope July does better.

disagree

June chat has been so good we haven't even made a July chat thread yet

Disclaimer: I did not read most of the thread, I'm just spitting facts

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

galenanorth posted:

I always avoided shaders because I thought it'd be a can of worms, like that episode of Star Trek: Voyager with the captain of a timeline-altering ship who kept trying to find a timeline in which his wife didn't die and he kept making the timeline worse, but with the subjective appearance of video games that are more than 30 years old.

Anyway, I'm experimenting with shaders using RetroArch's crt-royale-intel and ReShade's crt-royale-reshade imitation, which can be used with any executable and not just RetroArch. In 2160p, I think that crt-royale-reshade looks better than crt-royale-intel except when the pixel art is making heavy use of checkerboard gradients or CRT glow, like the sparkling ocean at the start of Sonic the Hedgehog. The slots and scanlines get smaller with higher resolution, so you have to switch to a low resolution like 800x600 in order to see the gradient blending effects of the CRT with crt-royale-reshade, and when you do that, the simulated slot mask of the CRT is much more noticeable for crt-royale-reshade than crt-royale-intel. It also made Sonic the Hedgehog way blurrier than crt-royale-intel, so maybe there was some intermediate resolution like 1366x768 I was supposed to use.

plain, 800x600. crt-royale-reshade, 800x600 (the scanlines are actually vertical by default). crt-royale-intel

Also, in Sonic the Hedgehog, the horizontal lines for highlights on bodies of water are half as thick with crt-royale-intel compared to crt-royale-reshade, making them look more like sparkles. For the ocean on the title screen, they both still work, but for the lake at the start of the first level, in crt-royale-reshade, the highlights don't glow and look like any other white pixels. Trying 800x600 and turning all the sliders both ways had no effect on it.

plain. crt-royale-reshade with a grille (grid) CRT mask in 2160p. crt-royale-intel, bonus: vhs

I think I'll use crt-royale-intel as my default for home console pixel art games and crt-royale-reshade for everything else. Donkey Kong in RetroArch's FinalBurn Neo core looked better with crt-royale-reshade than crt-royale-intel because it felt like the scanlines were too thick, while crt-royale-reshade had the minimum and necessary amount of "noise" from the scanlines, smaller-than-real, like CRT for 1080p or something. I liked that crt-royale-intel's pixel glow looked more arcade-like, though.

plain. crt-royale-reshade, horizontal scanlines. crt-royale-intel

crt-royale-reshade seems to work better for 2D, non-pixel art games like those on the GameCube and Wii, and handheld consoles like the GameBoy Color since they didn't have the CRT glow and all, so I'll use it as my default for those. Wario Land II: plain, lcd-grid-v2-gbc-color shader, crt-royale-intel shader, and crt-royale-reshade with the grille mask setting

A cool post, good job

And yeah getting edge/light bleeding correct will be the next step in getting those CRT filters to go from a screen-door effect to looking like actual CRTs.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What do we want to call the July thread?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it's actually Quintilis

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I said come in! posted:

What do we want to call the July thread?

Don't July To Me Game Chat Thread: This is serious, Mum

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Infinitum posted:

Don't July To Me Game Chat Thread: This is serious, Mum

Julys of P

(The P is for posting)

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Made july thread

Thank you haveblue!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4035598

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

posting outside the law

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Its still June until this thread is closed

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

Dude it was wild to have a city that big made of four copy pasted pyramids perfectly designed to be confusing as gently caress no matter where you are. Bethesda today couldn't make a city that big and confusing today if they tried and they have but they have to instance everything so it keeps em constrained

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

cheetah7071 posted:

Its still June until this thread is closed

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Electric Phantasm posted:

he's watching you, scum

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I shall celebrate my birthday in this thread...

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L397TWLwrUU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Sorry! I was slacking. New thread stuck, this one closing down :) Happy birthday infinitum.