Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favourite hosed up lil' guy in games?
This poll is closed.
Waluigi 36 29.27%
Waddle Dee 34 27.64%
Gollum 7 5.69%
Sonic 13 10.57%
freaky cartwheeling grey-skinned frog men from elden ring 28 22.76%
vectorman worm things that sometimes explode 5 4.07%
Total: 123 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

The extra Triangle Strategy chapter was very sweet and lovely.

I really like the cast of characters in the game, but I hope they get new ones for Rectangular Strategy, since I feel like we leave their stories in such a good place.

They didn't really need to make this content patch, but I'm glad they did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

bone emulator posted:

The extra Triangle Strategy chapter was very sweet and lovely.

I really like the cast of characters in the game, but I hope they get new ones for Rectangular Strategy, since I feel like we leave their stories in such a good place.

They didn't really need to make this content patch, but I'm glad they did.

Rectangular Strategy is thinking too small what we need is

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The paramount decree... So toothless now that the studios all own their own streaming platforms

The paramount decree was actually sunset a few years ago, on the grounds that it would not be possible for movie studios to rebuy every movie theater

Probably should have taken a look around at the rest of the industry first huh

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

Picked up Elden Ring since it's on sale. This is my first ever soulslike besides like 1hr in DS2. I've heard so many good things about this game I gotta give it a try. I tend to stick to more story driven games but I want to give it my best effort. I'm gonna try a strength based vagabond build since that seems to be recommended for new players. I followed a couple tips and unlocked leveling up and the horse. Not sure what to do next. I'm getting owned quite a bit and quite overwhelmed.

Anyone got some basic tips to help me get acclimated or should I just run in a direction and try to figure poo poo out on my own?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Don't ever go in the direction of the yellow light from sites of grace, go in another direction first

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

haveblue posted:

Don't ever go in the direction of the yellow light from sites of grace, go in another direction first

In every game I will always first go the opposite of where an npc, objective marker, or even basic level design tells me to go.

In every side scrolling game I will always check what's on the left

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

haveblue posted:

Theres plenty of stuff you can get so this isnt necessarily what you wanna do immediately. The devs want you to go that way to pick up some key loot but they expect players to realize that going the other way might be easier.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

i kind of regret my contrarian ways, in elden ring. going east from the fork and spending, 60 hours out there doing dungeons before i actually started the main story. coincidentally i burnt out, on elden ring, before i finished it

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

The Good Queen Clitoris posted:

Picked up Elden Ring since it's on sale. This is my first ever soulslike besides like 1hr in DS2. I've heard so many good things about this game I gotta give it a try. I tend to stick to more story driven games but I want to give it my best effort. I'm gonna try a strength based vagabond build since that seems to be recommended for new players. I followed a couple tips and unlocked leveling up and the horse. Not sure what to do next. I'm getting owned quite a bit and quite overwhelmed.

Anyone got some basic tips to help me get acclimated or should I just run in a direction and try to figure poo poo out on my own?

my first tip is to get naked. or at least take your shirt off.
having a non-overburdened roll is way more important than the 5-10% less damage you take from that super heavy starting vagabond armor. that class's starting equipment is a sick prank or something because it's heavier than your starting weight limit.

in general armor in elden ring gives you way less defense than you ever expect it to. its main benefit is the "poise" stat, which makes you more resistant to getting interrupted out of your attacks. which is mostly useful in pvp
instead, most of your durability comes from leveling vitality, the HP stat. which you should definitely prioritize early on, or jsut whenever you feel like the game needs to be easier. no need to get tons of attack stats early game, as the stat scaling on weapons starts really low and increases with their upgrade levels. meaning if you're just using a +3 sword even getting 99 strength won't increase your damage that much.

e: and if you meet a boss who kicks your rear end, remember it's an open world game and go explore another direction instead of grinding your face against it for 100 deaths.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 30, 2023

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I started Elden Ring with absolutely minimal guidance on what to do (also as a souls beginner) and I had a blast, imo just wander around and follow plot hooks that seem interesting.

I was a mage and I just shot pebbles at enemies for like 70% of the game and ran away from the rest and it was very fun.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to try and be a sword man for now but might try to go mage later since it seems like you can respec. Wrapped up my first session, running from a lot of stuff but making progress.

I fell for a chest trap just south of the starting area it teleported me to an area with a lot of gem dudes who were loving me up but I managed to get away and grab some items from the swamp before I fast traveled out. Was scary but fun! . I got my first summon and upgraded my starter sword. Looking forward to playing more!

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

The Good Queen Clitoris posted:

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to try and be a sword man for now but might try to go mage later since it seems like you can respec. Wrapped up my first session, running from a lot of stuff but making progress.

I fell for a chest trap just south of the starting area it teleported me to an area with a lot of gem dudes who were loving me up but I managed to get away and grab some items from the swamp before I fast traveled out. Was scary but fun! . I got my first summon and upgraded my starter sword. Looking forward to playing more!

I now know the joy that others got from hearing me do the exact same thing.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

homeless snail posted:

i kind of regret my contrarian ways, in elden ring. going east from the fork and spending, 60 hours out there doing dungeons before i actually started the main story. coincidentally i burnt out, on elden ring, before i finished it

I've been evolving my contrarian ways to try and better thread the needle through the game doing what I want, but avoid wanting to do stuff that ends up sucking. You know where they want you to go, but you also know where they will let you go anyway and they have also planned for that impulse some fashion, but if it's a good time varies. Trying to figure when to hit the gas on mainline, and when to drift into side exploration and contrarian steering so I can avoid burnout and trivializing interesting content.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

one thing i strongly recommend for new elden ring players is to get your vitality up to at least 20 before doing any big ticket investments into other stats. having that extra buffer of HP early on lets you suffer a lot more mistakes that would otherwise be fatal and lets you play a bit more aggressive in encounters instead of being scared of getting constantly one-shot

the game has an implicit assumption in its balancing that you'll be constantly drip feeding stat points into VIT over the course of your adventure; i would recommend eventually getting at least 40 VIT, but 20 is a perfectly good starting point and will get you through most of the game without incident while still giving you stat room past the very early game to start trying out new weapons or spells you find

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Khanstant posted:

I've been evolving my contrarian ways to try and better thread the needle through the game doing what I want, but avoid wanting to do stuff that ends up sucking. You know where they want you to go, but you also know where they will let you go anyway and they have also planned for that impulse some fashion, but if it's a good time varies. Trying to figure when to hit the gas on mainline, and when to drift into side exploration and contrarian steering so I can avoid burnout and trivializing interesting content.
i mostly just assumed that, I would eventually hit a wall so about 10-15 hours in going east it shifted from contrarianism to genuine wonder at, how big this loving game was and how far they were going to let me wander. the answers being, too big and, all of it

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

elden ring is such an amazing experience going in blind. the spectacle is just on a whole different level. also post about your progression and encounters.

only tips is like:
never equip too much that you fat roll.
don't play it like dark souls, it's open world. if you're stuck go do something else and come back.
endurance and vigor will go a long way at beginning survivability. getting 20 vigor will help a lot, then the first softcap is at 40. you won't really see the great weapons/spells for a while, anyway, so you don't know your stat distribution yet.
make use of ashes of war.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

One thing I didn't realise for AGES is that your offhand stuff also contributes to your equipment load. So dont equip like three weapons in addition to your main one "just in case" you need them because it weighs you down.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

AlphaKeny1 posted:

make use of ashes of war.

this is an important point, especially if you've previously only played dark souls: weapon arts are the hands down strongest option outside of certain spells for both groups of enemies and bosses, and making liberal use of them will significantly ease your way through the game

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Electric Phantasm posted:

Rectangular Strategy is thinking too small what we need is

No one tells me when I'm out of piss

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Metis of the Hallway posted:

One thing I didn't realise for AGES is that your offhand stuff also contributes to your equipment load. So dont equip like three weapons in addition to your main one "just in case" you need them because it weighs you down.

The equip three weapons technique is literally Elon's tech. Yes, there are receipts, he made a video about it. Dood's call it the Musk Rush. Give credit where credit is due and don't claim it as your own and give the person who found it some respect.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The equip three weapons technique is literally Elon's tech. Yes, there are receipts, he made a video about it. Dood's call it the Musk Rush. Give credit where credit is due and don't claim it as your own and give the person who found it some respect.

the fact that this joke is so niche makes it even funnier

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I switched browsers and now Twitter is completely broken for me. No embeds and if I try to click a direct link, it just takes me to a login wall. lol it's finally turned off for me.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Charlie if you call me out here again I'm going to attach a 50gb file to my next post and use up your entire data allowance

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Charlie if you call me out here again I'm going to attach a 50gb file to my next post and use up your entire data allowance

lmao do it

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Bollywood Scott Pilgrim x Tony Hawk lookin good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysU6V3K4HCQ

Do
Here

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
(Elden Ring) It’s definitely not worth equipping multiple weapons “just in case” but it is worth at least considering two for versatility depending on if your “main” weapon has an affinity like magic/fire/holy damage, or even slashing/crushing/piercing or poo poo, if it’s a lance/reaper/greatsword that can bounce off walls in cramped areas, especially if you’re going sword and board and don’t have an easy ranged attack option that an ash of war can give you.

This comes with the massive caveat that you should be really, really, really careful not to spread yourself thin with smithing stone upgrades. One of the most commonly agreed on flaws of ER is that the game is really stingy about letting you buy/acquire vanilla smithing stones, even after patches that tweaked some stuff like making the lower level versions more common drops. You can generally go ham with items that use somber smithing stones because they’re way more common, so don’t worry about if you find something that takes those.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Xenoblade 2: Am I going to have to get gud at Tiger! Tiger! if I want to upgrade Poppi, because I absolutely suck at the minigame?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Eldenring has some very good extra (offhand) weapons you should budged your END for: bows, torches, wand for utility spells and talisman for healing

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Buy Ghost Trick.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Waffleman_ posted:

Buy Ghost Trick.

I already did 12 years ago.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I shall trick all of the ghosts

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Tony Hawk's Pro Ghost Trick

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Buy Ghost Trick.

Done

stev posted:

I already did 12 years ago.

Didn't stop me!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

ghost prick

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Regy Rusty posted:

Done

Didn't stop me!

Same

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Raincode chads....It's time.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

GodIsAGeek gave it a 6.0/10.0...

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I've been going to godisageek dot com every few days, looking for something funny to screencap but nah it's just a real boring ign

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFxCydxog4M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is Ghost Trick good on Steam Deck or should I get it on PS5?