Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which of June's main events are you most looking forward t--hold on, I've just be
This poll is closed.
Jack Hermansson vs Brendan Allen 2 14.29%
Amanda Nunes vs Julianna Peņa 3 2 14.29%
Basically every single PFL fight previously planned 3 21.43%
I mean, Bhullar vs Malykhin hasn't technically been cancelled yet 7 50.00%
Total: 14 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

KSW is a testament to what you can accomplish as a regional if you have a) money, b) good talent scouts, and c) no steroid policies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Also, speaking of fighting organizations that aren't poo poo, let's be reminded of the ones that are:

https://twitter.com/TElliott125/status/1665028315273662464

So if you fight at the Apex, you don't get to bring your family anymore because that would sacrifice the eighteen seats they can sell to extract ticket money.

edit: unsurprisingly it is now deleted, but it was a Tim Elliott tweet about the above

CarlCX fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 3, 2023

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Meanwhite, Chatri is filming a thirty minute promo about the master craftsmen making him a new taller chair so he can throw wads of cash directly into the ONE ring like he's at a strip club

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4033497

GDT for Kara-France/Albazi is up. Prelims start in ~20.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Pudz :(

https://twitter.com/pelunaton/status/1665112952905531393?s=20

I gotta try to clip his GnP in the 1st round cause by god was it the most comical I've seen

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 3, 2023

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Another potential KO of the year
https://twitter.com/combate/status/1665123995832795136?s=20

The timing on this kick is just crazy good.
https://twitter.com/Grabaka_Hitman/status/1665123143113900033?s=20

KSW show all around was pretty good. And it being only $10 nothing i mind spending.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Does KSW allow grounded kicks or did Khalidov just get super lucky timing that?

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Super lucky

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

So, and I'm not gonna post it because there's video so also be careful if you decide to go looking for it, a 16 year-old kid in Russia died during amateur competition. For whatever reason the requirement to wear headgear had been waived for his fight, he took a spinning kick to the head and dropped, and between the kick and somewhere between the landing he did not survive. I remain genuinely shocked this does not happen more often.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

hey, is there any reason I might post this immediately after that

https://twitter.com/MMAJunkie/status/1665419890730373120

straight into the loving sun

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Dana White wakes up every morning, looks at his beet red reflection the mirror and shouts "DO YOU WANT TO BE A loving rear end in a top hat???!!!"

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Kragger99 posted:

Dana White wakes up every morning, looks at his beet red reflection the mirror and shouts "DO YOU WANT TO BE A loving rear end in a top hat???!!!"

this made me lol because 'a loving rear end in a top hat' is the genuine, simple truth of dana white.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

So, fun story that's come out from reporters and managers talking about this on twitter: Apparently at some point in the last year the Nevada State Athletic Commission made the quiet and most definitely independent decision to stop releasing information on medical suspensions. Reporters now only get to see if a license is or is not suspended with no additional context on reason or duration, and if you're a manager, well:

https://twitter.com/dannyrube/status/1665433965178544135

This is an extremely positive change that portends absolutely nothing bad for fighters and will end extremely well.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

CarlCX posted:

So, fun story that's come out from reporters and managers talking about this on twitter: Apparently at some point in the last year the Nevada State Athletic Commission made the quiet and most definitely independent decision to stop releasing information on medical suspensions. Reporters now only get to see if a license is or is not suspended with no additional context on reason or duration, and if you're a manager, well:

https://twitter.com/dannyrube/status/1665433965178544135

This is an extremely positive change that portends absolutely nothing bad for fighters and will end extremely well.

That is loving criminal

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I feel like fighters should be able to sue the athletic agency for... withholding information concerning their regulatory work?
Would work better if they had a union.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

How is the nevada state athletic commission still such a loving clown show after all this time.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

More like the fight crapital of the world.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

BlindSite posted:

How is the nevada state athletic commission still such a loving clown show after all this time.

sadly the same reason the UFC sucks now: money.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Dang, Arlovski's fought at least once a year since 1999.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CtAtrJmLFBV/?igshid=MTc4MmM1YmI2Ng==

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/NateDiaz209/status/1665758057228271620?t=

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Hey, guess what other person who shouldn't be fighting in August

https://twitter.com/mmamania/status/1665833628847448065

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Eh, he probably shouldn't be fighting elite competition anymore but at 38 he's probably still got a bit in him? Been over 2 years since the leg.

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

He should retire but it's a fine litmus test. If Chris gets hurt by the least powerful middleweight mainstay in UFC history it means he should hang them up. In 2017 preferably

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

CarlCX posted:

Should Chris be fighting with that herpes outbreak?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Brut posted:

Eh, he probably shouldn't be fighting elite competition anymore but at 38 he's probably still got a bit in him? Been over 2 years since the leg.

We calling Brad Tavares elite competition now? Tavares is reliable but he is the most perfect, platonic ideal of a gatekeeper imaginable.

Discovered that there's someone called 'Wellington Turman' in the middleweight division and need some time to process that.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

We calling Brad Tavares elite competition now? Tavares is reliable but he is the most perfect, platonic ideal of a gatekeeper imaginable.

Discovered that there's someone called 'Wellington Turman' in the middleweight division and need some time to process that.

No, that's my whole point, that he shouldn't be fighting elite competition but fighting Brad Tavares is probably fine.

ccubed posted:

Should Chris be fighting with that herpes outbreak?

lol that's probably just a random old picture and UFC 292 is at the end of August anyway

Brut fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jun 6, 2023

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

reeg posted:

If Chris gets hurt by the least powerful middleweight mainstay in UFC history it means he should hang them up.

he's not fighting sean strickland though

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

CarlCX posted:

i briefly thought this was the ex islander

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Yeah, I don't think Brad Tavares is out of pocket as an opponent for Weidman if he's going to fight, I just wish he wouldn't. Dude took a bunch of horrible knockouts very quickly and then exploded his leg and he's turning 39 in like a week and a half, I feel like it will end poorly.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

CarlCX posted:

Yeah, I don't think Brad Tavares is out of pocket as an opponent for Weidman if he's going to fight, I just wish he wouldn't. Dude took a bunch of horrible knockouts very quickly and then exploded his leg and he's turning 39 in like a week and a half, I feel like it will end poorly.

Was it that quickly? It's like a year between Rockhold and Romero, 5 months between Romero and Mousasi (that one is too soon), next loss is jacare a year and a half later, and then it's another year before he fights Reyes. Seems...not any different from a bunch of other fighters? I think it stands out more because he was a champ.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Brut posted:

Was it that quickly? It's like a year between Rockhold and Romero, 5 months between Romero and Mousasi (that one is too soon), next loss is jacare a year and a half later, and then it's another year before he fights Reyes. Seems...not any different from a bunch of other fighters? I think it stands out more because he was a champ.

It's three years and ten months between the Rockhold fight and the Reyes fight, and I would say taking five knockouts in under four years is less common than you think. It's pretty rare for a fighter to even GET five knockout losses in the UFC without having a real long tenure, and most of them are guys like Arlovski and Cerrone and Struve who spread them out over years. I'm pretty sure Bigfoot took as many or more knockouts in as short a period of time, and the result was the UFC releasing him and his continuing to fight being looked at as one of the most shameful scandals in the sport.

Also, fun fact I found while double-checking the concussion reports after the Mousasi fight: Weidman also says he got concussed in the Machida fight and has no memory of the last two rounds. So it's actually even worse than I thought, which makes me feel good about our sport.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yes, getting ko'd over 5 fights in less than 4 years is actually quite normal and not any different than everyone else who was doing it such as ________________

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CarlCX posted:

It's three years and ten months between the Rockhold fight and the Reyes fight, and I would say taking five knockouts in under four years is less common than you think. It's pretty rare for a fighter to even GET five knockout losses in the UFC without having a real long tenure, and most of them are guys like Arlovski and Cerrone and Struve who spread them out over years. I'm pretty sure Bigfoot took as many or more knockouts in as short a period of time, and the result was the UFC releasing him and his continuing to fight being looked at as one of the most shameful scandals in the sport.

Also, fun fact I found while double-checking the concussion reports after the Mousasi fight: Weidman also says he got concussed in the Machida fight and has no memory of the last two rounds. So it's actually even worse than I thought, which makes me feel good about our sport.

jfyi it took bigfoot 5 1/2 years to get KO'd 6 times and everyone was screaming for him to retire for his own good

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

CarlCX posted:

Yeah I guess when you put it like that I have a much harder time disagreeing.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

CALCIO STORICO semifinals are this weekend and I have no drat clue how to watch it live. Last year required getting Italian DAZN and possibly committing tax fraud, looking forward to what this year entails.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Lone Goat posted:

CALCIO STORICO semifinals are this weekend and I have no drat clue how to watch it live. Last year required getting Italian DAZN and possibly committing tax fraud, looking forward to what this year entails.

Is that one soccer + punching or am I confusing my esoteric Italian sports

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Mekchu posted:

jfyi it took bigfoot 5 1/2 years to get KO'd 6 times and everyone was screaming for him to retire for his own good

How are you counting that?

From 2011-2022 he was finished 11 times.
From 2011-2016 he was finished 8 times.
From 2011-2015 he was finished 6 times.

His last 11 finished losses are
9/10/2011
5/26/2012
5/25/2013
9/13/2014
2/22/2015
11/14/2015
5/8/2016
9/24/2016
6/2/2017
6/13/2021
6/24/2022

I'm going off Tapology so I don't know if it's a clean 1 punch KO or just TKO, they don't list that difference most of the time.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Lone Goat posted:

this sounds like an extremely italian way to watch imo
Wasn't there some weird youtube stream one year? I watched some of it live at least.

COPE 27 posted:

Is that one soccer + punching or am I confusing my esoteric Italian sports

the ball is mostly carried by hand, but yes it's the 54 man brawl with rules no one really understands

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

ilmucche posted:

this sounds like an extremely italian way to watch imo
Wasn't there some weird youtube stream one year? I watched some of it live at least.

the ball is mostly carried by hand, but yes it's the 54 man brawl with rules no one really understands

If there was a live YouTube stream I have no idea, but the matches do get put up eventually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
https://twitter.com/ufcrosterwatch/status/1665819799660756997

Never forget: