Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which of June's main events are you most looking forward t--hold on, I've just be
This poll is closed.
Jack Hermansson vs Brendan Allen 2 14.29%
Amanda Nunes vs Julianna Peña 3 2 14.29%
Basically every single PFL fight previously planned 3 21.43%
I mean, Bhullar vs Malykhin hasn't technically been cancelled yet 7 50.00%
Total: 14 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I feel like fighters should be able to sue the athletic agency for... withholding information concerning their regulatory work?
Would work better if they had a union.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Dang, Arlovski's fought at least once a year since 1999.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CtAtrJmLFBV/?igshid=MTc4MmM1YmI2Ng==

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Is Calcio Storico too decent for the freak sports thread?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CarlCX posted:

The ongoing argument, fueled by UFC matchmaker Mick Maynard's lovely tweets about MMA media daring to complain about their product, centers on the idea that it's wrong to call a card bad when the card could have entertaining fights.
If you want to chip away at that to boost your profit margins? That's perfectly fine. But at least be open about what you're mortgaging and why.

So I mean this with the utmost level of respect: In a company that regularly cuts fighters for extremely specious reasons, for the life of me, I do not understand why Eryk Anders is still here.
I don't even think it's enormously disrespectful to opine about why Eryk Anders is still here

Reading these back to back got me thinking -- maybe some fighters/managers are just insanely easy to deal with? If they give the matchmakers no pushback whatsoever, and they don't have any other sort of profile-raising scandals, then maybe that gets them more fights than they'd otherwise merit.
2 texts with their manager, and that's done, one of the fights for an event filled up.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Great linking, though with the thumbnails embedding, there’s a bit of spoiler on who’s advancing.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Boco_T posted:

Is it doing that on the Awful App?

Ah, yeah. I have checked on a desktop browser.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Boco_T posted:

I put off watching the show for too long so the post is way late, but here's a report on Shoot Boxing's second show of 2023 (includes a full explanation of Shoot Boxing's insane rules)
https://bocot.substack.com/p/tape-delay-kickboxing-28-shoot-boxing

Thanks for the effort!

quote:

Round scores can go from 10-10 even as far as 10-6 in either direction. The score is translated to 10-point-must after scoring

After the round they tally up all the points if there are multiple events and convert that to 10-point-must and record it.
Is the differential capped to 6 even if one fighter scores more than that?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Boco_T posted:

Most of the fights just end up being kickboxing though.

I'm not as interested in Shootboxing (the organization / competitive field, not the ruleset) as much as I could be, because I'm puzzled at the lack of variety in styles.
I've been thinking for a while about the differences in the [and using this term grates on me cuz it feels so gaming-centric] strategy meta between it and sanshou.

quote:

Additionally, fighters are allowed to execute throws... provided the only part of their body touching the canvas is their feet.

1 point: Forward throw with a referee “Shoot” call (Shoot Point)

1 point: General advantage in the round (i.e. the way you’d score a boxing or kickboxing fight a 10-9, gets superseded by strike knockdown)

On these points, it seems like kick catching and sweeping would be much more prevalent, either in attempts or successes.

Kick catches give you a decent balance/base advantage over your opponent while conforming to the rule that throw techniques need to stay on the feet.
And in a striking-allowed ruleset, they let the throw opportunities come to you, instead of forcing you onto the offensive. And again, thanks to the ruleset, if you can't risk losing your scoring potential by dropping a knee to the ground to shoot a normal single or double leg, then you've gotta shoot higher, which keeps you in more danger of punches.

Kick catches a staple of sanshou, in terms of high percentage techniques.
And sanshou is a sport (as Boco's noted before, I think?) that favors point-scoring strikes -- 3 clean jabs is 3 points. A clean kick catch counter is only 2 points.
And yet, there's a few different strategies in the mix. On a continuum of striking-oriented to grappling-oriented:
- stay evasive, rack up low power strike points
- strike, but look to do damage instead of scoring points
- stay close and be ready to catch and counter anything
- bulldoze in and do offensive throws and ring pushouts

One obvious distinction is the background of the general field of contestants. High level sanshou is only found at the international level, where it's an interesting clash of various national teams and roughly coherent national styles formed from domestic competition pools.
For Shootboxing by contrast, the only foreigner I can think of who did it is Andy Souwer. But even if it's mostly Japanese fighters, I feel like there's plenty of room for different background sports to feed into competition, and achieve different strategies. There should be tons of no-ji judo throws and some MMA scrambling chokes.

I've been a little disappointed in the sport from the, I dunno, couple hours I've watched over the years, because the competition doesn't seem to live up to the differentiating potential offered by the ruleset.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Media's picking up the the Conor story. I just read it -- it's really egregious. gently caress him, and good on the victim for fighting him off and reporting it right away. I hope the evidence is enough for prosecution to work with.

But also the victim sucks for being willing to go with him to a hotel [in the revised statement], just short of having an affair in front of his fiancee's face. Drop his rear end, Dee.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

beep by grandpa posted:

conor loving sucks i hope his next cage fight is in a prison cell

How much does Untouchable’s brother weigh?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CarlCX posted:

https://twitter.com/BellatorMMA/status/1669940509102559237

These are the reasons heavyweight is the most-loved division.

Is that Wilson’s brother?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Mike Musumeci is either naive or a company man. After seeing him roll with Zuck, I'm leaning the latter

DoombatINC posted:

on the basis that he doesn't think he actually lost his last fight and wants a rematch

Live by the excuse, die by the excuse is :smith:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Shame that that fight now has a kiss of death. I would gladly have watched it for free. Wouldn't even be top 10 embarassments for Elon.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

My man is struggling up the steps into the ring :shittypop:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Bhullar's corner was definitely right -- Malykhin's fading.
Bhullar's been reactive enough leaning away from the mediocre workrate.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

It looked to me like Bhullar was in there for the paycheck. Like see if he could win, but just lose safely if he couldn't do it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Muangthai got way too rudimentary after that first knockdown. Sure his brain was scrambled, but going for only desperation body kicks of course just gifted Carillo more catches and return elbows.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Three hundred and fifty... THOUSAND... baht

$10k

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Brut posted:

Wonder if 10k gets you further in Thailand these days than 50k does in the US.

Looking at GNI figures, no, it'd be like 40k USD. That said, I'm sure it's tricky to figure out price points for a pretty international fighter roster.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Gorgeous Zan posted:

Ah, I knew they did the whole aggression thing for MMA but didn't realize did it across everything.

I think they do a good job of developing an entertaining fightsport product.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Digital Jedi posted:

They are suspending both Natan Schulte and Raush Manfio who fought yesterday.

Googling, they're teammates? I assume it was a sparring non-fight?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

GSP had been slowly turning right since covid, i think. Though that doesn't explain musk vs zuck.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

https://twitter.com/WonderbreadMMA/status/1666983986906947584

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Who's watching TUF? Does it look like Conor's slimmed down since his off-testing peak?

https://youtube.com/shorts/68vdRCF27s8

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Latest in Pereira size comparisons:
https://youtube.com/shorts/r5MUH1j9Wz4?feature=share

Fury is billed as 6'9", but i dunno how accurate that is.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Lid posted:

pretty accurate, Tyson Fury is a huge guy

this is Fury next to Wilder who is 6'7"

Right, but they're pretty close, and maybe Wilder is overreported, too.
Though I don't see a reason that boxers in general would overstate their height more than mma fighters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I wonder if Colby has to one-up this rant.