Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which of June's main events are you most looking forward t--hold on, I've just be
This poll is closed.
Jack Hermansson vs Brendan Allen 2 14.29%
Amanda Nunes vs Julianna Peņa 3 2 14.29%
Basically every single PFL fight previously planned 3 21.43%
I mean, Bhullar vs Malykhin hasn't technically been cancelled yet 7 50.00%
Total: 14 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
KSW rules and on the one hand it's unfortunate we don't see too many people come to the big leagues from there because those guys are on everything, on the other hand that's probably part of why it rules.

Cool knockout.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Eh, he probably shouldn't be fighting elite competition anymore but at 38 he's probably still got a bit in him? Been over 2 years since the leg.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Snowman_McK posted:

We calling Brad Tavares elite competition now? Tavares is reliable but he is the most perfect, platonic ideal of a gatekeeper imaginable.

Discovered that there's someone called 'Wellington Turman' in the middleweight division and need some time to process that.

No, that's my whole point, that he shouldn't be fighting elite competition but fighting Brad Tavares is probably fine.

ccubed posted:

Should Chris be fighting with that herpes outbreak?

lol that's probably just a random old picture and UFC 292 is at the end of August anyway

Brut fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jun 6, 2023

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

CarlCX posted:

Yeah, I don't think Brad Tavares is out of pocket as an opponent for Weidman if he's going to fight, I just wish he wouldn't. Dude took a bunch of horrible knockouts very quickly and then exploded his leg and he's turning 39 in like a week and a half, I feel like it will end poorly.

Was it that quickly? It's like a year between Rockhold and Romero, 5 months between Romero and Mousasi (that one is too soon), next loss is jacare a year and a half later, and then it's another year before he fights Reyes. Seems...not any different from a bunch of other fighters? I think it stands out more because he was a champ.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

CarlCX posted:

It's three years and ten months between the Rockhold fight and the Reyes fight, and I would say taking five knockouts in under four years is less common than you think. It's pretty rare for a fighter to even GET five knockout losses in the UFC without having a real long tenure, and most of them are guys like Arlovski and Cerrone and Struve who spread them out over years. I'm pretty sure Bigfoot took as many or more knockouts in as short a period of time, and the result was the UFC releasing him and his continuing to fight being looked at as one of the most shameful scandals in the sport.

Also, fun fact I found while double-checking the concussion reports after the Mousasi fight: Weidman also says he got concussed in the Machida fight and has no memory of the last two rounds. So it's actually even worse than I thought, which makes me feel good about our sport.

Yeah I guess when you put it like that I have a much harder time disagreeing.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

:page3:

Brut fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 6, 2023

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
He has no plans of doing MMA right?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Fights been good tonight?

Interesting odds on this one that just started.

Edit: Is there no bell/buzzer? that round ended very quiety

Brut fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 9, 2023

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

STONE COLD 64 posted:

That referee should have his license pulled that was incredibly careless

Huh what happened? I saw a weird stoppage for a few seconds where I assumed someone kneed a grounded opponent but then they just kept fighting so I guess not? Otherwise not sure what you're talking about, but I wasn't fully paying attention.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

STONE COLD 64 posted:

jenkins hit a benoit style german suplex and sank in a choke, dudes arms dropped and his eyes rolled to the back of his head, ref waited three seconds until doing the loving pro wrestling Lift The Arm to check him before stopping it

Oh, I didn't catch that fight, thought you were talking about the one that just ended.

I'm hearing about this Movlid Khaybulaev dude for the first time, can someone tell me anything about the draw and the NC on his record? Was the draw a close fight? Was the NC his fault?

Edit: Oh wait both of them have official versions of the full fights available on youtube, I'll check those later. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GfhSDA82IY, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iOsVg6JxVw)

Brut fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jun 9, 2023

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Why did they make the poster such that they all look 50 years old. Or is that just the truth?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
lmao yeah that's why I watch on fightpass instead of espn+

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

mewse posted:

uh shout out to brut because i reported my own post back in april (long story) and he sent me a DM.. i just noticed it was titled "i see you reported your forum enemy"

Marching Powder posted:

i have literally always been my own greatest enemy and my history of posting is a tribute to this concept. brut the philosopher.

:cheers:

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
If I told you that Strickland vs Magomedov was the main event for the July 1st card, would you know who I am talking about?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
The point of my post btw, in case it wasn't clear, is that you're supposed to go "wait which magomedov at 185? huh? who?", and that's weird for a main event

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

TheKingslayer posted:

I mean, I dunno what you're supposed to really do with TKZ then outside of just cutting him, because literally everyone else in the top 15 outside of Ige and Caceres probably fucks him up pretty bad. You could give him an unranked guy but he likely doesn't want to spend his last fights with unranked prospects trying to make a name off of him.

Hmmm, Bryce Mitchell would probably be a fun fight, particularly for grappling reasons, but I guess he's injured. Barboza makes some sense, also pretty late in his career. If we're looking at guys ranked above TKZ I think Arnold Allen is the only fight that makes any sense.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

blue footed boobie posted:

I know we all hate Conor and victim blaming is bad, but it does seem as though the lawyer who sent the letter is a non-prominent solo practitioner who is being investigated for bribing a witness, so it might be better to start taking these accusations with the some grain of salt.

The grain of salt got washed away long ago by the all the other accusations from all the other women, as well as the various other dumb poo poo this man has done publicly that is not even theoretically in dispute (punching the old man at the bar etc).

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Lucasar posted:

I missed the UFC card from this weekend? Is it/anything from it worth going back for?

There were some cool fights but more notable there were multiple instances of ref incompetence.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
His style is sloppy offense no defense, or something like that anyway.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Yeah this has no chance of actually happening

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

chaleski posted:

https://twitter.com/mmamania/status/1672024322326646784

Probably the least surprising thing ever but still kinda disappointing. Grasso-Blanchfield would be awesome but I guess we'll just do another rematch instead

Sometimes these rematches don't make sense but this is not one of those times, Shevchenko was undefeated at flyweight until that fight, and was winning the fight on the scorecards until suddenly finding herself in a grappling exchange after an ill-advised spinning kick, I suspect the rematch will look a lot like the Nunes/Pena rematch from last year.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Snowman_McK posted:

Grasso's a lot loving better than Pena.

That's probably true but they're not fighting each other :shrug:, my point is more that I think the gap between non-complacent Shevchenko and Grasso is similar conceptually to the gap between non-covid Nunes and Pena, but then again father time waits for no-one and Shevchenko is 35 so maybe she just doesn't have it anymore, we'll see.

TheKingslayer posted:

Counterpoint. She lost the fight like a fuckin' dumbass and instant rematches suck.

Can't say anything in this post is wrong.

BlindSite posted:

Make them both fight peirera instead.

I can't tell if you're suggesting they fight Aline Pereira (LFA 1-1 record) or if they should both fight Alex Pereira together in some kind of fight circus type 2 vs 1.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

BlindSite posted:

The latter.

Anybody got a way to contact Jon Nutt?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Wait, I understand not being eligible for the belt but the actual fight outcome is at best a no contest for him, as far as his record? Is that normal over there?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
muay thai rules

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Wait what? They put their heavyweight MMA championship unification fight on this morning youtube card? That's loving sick hahahaha

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Ugh this is a bad time for their audio to start crackling, hope they find the issue

edit: seems like they did.

Brut fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 23, 2023

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Ring MMA is funny. Wanna see the strike numbers for that one, looked incredibly one sided.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Wait, he just said he wants to fight at 93kg (which is 205lbs) for a third belt, he...has the LHW belt, what weight is that in ONE? gently caress their weight classes are so confusing.

Also the Russian translator was not ready for that thing about wanting to have a minute of silence for Victoria Lee and Paopom Watcharin

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

CommonShore posted:

Brut what the gently caress third belt was he talking about

Ok well he mostly said it in English so I don't have that much insight (other than using the Russian word for "For" (shto), but I went back to listen again and seems like he started it by saying De Ridder, who looks like is their middleweight(205) champ

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Wonder if 10k gets you further in Thailand these days than 50k does in the US.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdcICGzFfR8

this is the investigative reporting the UFC needs

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Fist fully closed! Immediate cut to completely open hands swinging around wildly.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

reeg posted:

Browsed around for fun trying to answer this question. Check out this early card where only one fight is between two people with wiki pages:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_24

I don't think cards that predate Wikipedia itself should count hahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

https://twitter.com/chitoveraUFC/status/1674556124811653120