Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which of June's main events are you most looking forward t--hold on, I've just be
This poll is closed.
Jack Hermansson vs Brendan Allen 2 14.29%
Amanda Nunes vs Julianna Peña 3 2 14.29%
Basically every single PFL fight previously planned 3 21.43%
I mean, Bhullar vs Malykhin hasn't technically been cancelled yet 7 50.00%
Total: 14 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

reeg posted:

Counterpoint: Kevin Lee is cool

He's also extremely handsome. He should give up that fighting business and just stand around being hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Brut posted:

Eh, he probably shouldn't be fighting elite competition anymore but at 38 he's probably still got a bit in him? Been over 2 years since the leg.

We calling Brad Tavares elite competition now? Tavares is reliable but he is the most perfect, platonic ideal of a gatekeeper imaginable.

Discovered that there's someone called 'Wellington Turman' in the middleweight division and need some time to process that.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

beep by grandpa posted:

I saw a twitter thead on brutal KOs last night and it made me think to ask you all here: What are ya'lls top "hard to watch KO" and your top "cannot watch this KO"? I want to avoid gross injuries with this topic and keep it to brutal KOs but I'm not the boss of you :justpost:

1. My top "hard to watch" is prob the head kick on jessica eye. It's so brutal and devastating I remember even the commentators having trouble talking it up. I got the feeling Shenvenko was a little rattled and even seemed reluctant to do her dumb little dance afterwards (she still did it tho). But god, it's so perfectly executed that it's hard not to marvel at it.

2. For me my top "cannot watch" is the head slam KO on rose namajunas . Any time that comes up on the TL I scroll right by it.

Lawler/Manhoef both for what Melvin does to Bob's leg and Manhoef's complete blank, glass eyed stare afterwards. Usually, adrenaline kind of carries the fighter a fair bit in the moment and, while they'll definitely be limping for a couple of weeks, they're alright at the time. Lawler can barely walk immediately after the fight. Also, Manhoef legitimately looked dead after being KO'd. I've watched that fight many times since it's one of the best one round fights ever but every single time, I have a brief moment where I think he's actually bought it. It doesn't help that Manhoef spent his entire career being a terrifying punching machine who could also get KO'd by very little. If memory served, he spent some very ill advised time at Heavyweight early in his career and took some punches he wasn't really the right size to take. In fact, I think 'getting Manhoefed' used to be forum speak for fighting in a weight class you shouldn't be in.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Super Deuce posted:

I feel bad for Vettori. I've never particularly been a fan of his (though he's fine), but his style has such a short shelf life, and he doesn't really have the one punch ability to supplement it a la Mark Hunt.

Sorry, Vettori has a style?

I'm not having a go, but despite having watched him fight at least half a dozen times, I have no idea how I'd describe his style. I remember Israel looking not so hot against him. Not in the sense that Vettori was doing well, but Israel just gave the sense that he was having trouble getting going, like he was stuck in 2nd gear. I think I remember Whittaker not looking great either, same thing of not being able to get going, though I might be getting confused.

Also, that he wore his shorts the wrong way around one time.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

TheKingslayer posted:

I mean, there are a lot of great reasons to dislike Conor obviously but not wanting to be under USADA's scrutiny ain't one of them.

You've not understoof this story.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

blue footed boobie posted:

He headlined 235 and is in prelims by 292 three years later. Wild that he’s only 31. Is there anyone else who has fallen so quickly?

It sort of fits given he rose so incredibly quickly too. Less than two years from debut to title shot.

I don't even think his chin was cracked. Well, it is now. But he would lose from getting into breathtakingly stupid exchanges where he would just eat the same hard punch multiple times in a row, which is not a good idea no matter what your chin is like. The worst part is that his good looks are ruined now too. It's a crime to get punched so much when you're that handsome.

Man, him and Dillashaw should bury the hatchet and commiserate over screwing up their careers that fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Brut posted:

Sometimes these rematches don't make sense but this is not one of those times, Shevchenko was undefeated at flyweight until that fight, and was winning the fight on the scorecards until suddenly finding herself in a grappling exchange after an ill-advised spinning kick, I suspect the rematch will look a lot like the Nunes/Pena rematch from last year.

Grasso's a lot loving better than Pena.