Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

FullLeatherJacket posted:

if he went back to Barca they'd be leaking stories to the press about how his wages are hurting the club after six months

or he can go to loving seaworld every day

SeaWorld is in Orlando and is like 350 km away by car. However, it also sucks big time compared to a very long list of attractions actually in Miami.

Also, no one is going to suddenly want to watch MLS because of this. The rest of the players are still bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Sucks that Messi retired

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Major Operation posted:

SeaWorld is in Orlando and is like 350 km away by car. However, it also sucks big time compared to a very long list of attractions actually in Miami.

Also, no one is going to suddenly want to watch MLS because of this. The rest of the players are still bad.

messi will have a man to drive him to seaworld and only seaworld

he will know all of the penguins by name

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
Okay so maybe Messi isn't *in his prime!* But if it's a 2 year contract, his age will be a prime number during it!

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

FullLeatherJacket posted:

or he can go to loving seaworld every day

https://www.goldcoastrailroadmuseum.org/

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

2 Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Major Operation posted:

People literally will though, if just Miami

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Major Operation posted:

messi has a shitload of hardcore fans

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
wonder if messi asked beckham to fredo phil neville before he signed

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I just saw a rumor of Neymar to Chelsea and that would be extremely funny in several ways so I hope it happens.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Proper cursed choice that, do you want to live in Florida or Saudi Arabia

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Eau de MacGowan posted:

it would be very funny if that's the case

webmeister posted:

Miami has been called the capital of Latin America, for whatever reason people with way too much money like living there.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

webmeister posted:

Miami is one of the greatest cities in the world to live in if you’re ultra rich hth

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lmao at this Barca statement about the whole thing

quote:

In a statement, Barcelona wished Messi good luck in the next stage of his career.

“[Barcelona president Joan] Laporta understood and respected Messi’s decision to want to compete in a league with fewer demands, further away from the spotlight and the pressure he has been subject to in recent years,” read the statement.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Backdoor Delivery posted:

People literally will though, if just Miami

I found the MLS exec!

fake edit: this will bring 5 new viewers to MLS

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"

Eau de MacGowan posted:

I'm actually fully convinced that getting rid of Neville was an unofficial condition of his joining. Like, all this Adidas, Apple stuff is good....and money is nice, but working under Neville would be a legit hit to his ego (and reputation) enough that it would genuinely give him second thoughts and point him to the KSA.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

vyelkin posted:

lmao geez

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

vyelkin posted:

What an incredible statement lmao

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/ManagingBarca/status/1666496587823194113

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

harperdc posted:

it would be very funny if that's the case

Miami has been called the capital of Latin America, for whatever reason people with way too much money like living there.

Aren't they all people who are like "my ancestors were chased out of cuba for exploiting a monopoly position on the supply of eggs"

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

good time to invest in centrifuges in miami imho

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Don’t American sports have salary caps?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

That's probably why most of it is being paid by Apple and Adidas.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

hadji murad posted:

The MLS financial rules are a tangled mess but the short version is each team gets a couple "designated players" they can pay above the salary cap, which is partly designed to allow teams to bring in good players from elsewhere.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Aren't they all people who are like "my ancestors were chased out of cuba for exploiting a monopoly position on the supply of eggs"

That’s a big part, but I saw somebody else joke that Miami is the second largest city in Argentina. And then there’s all the skyscrapers bought with cash by Colombians in the 1980s :v:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

hadji murad posted:

MLS is a multi-level marketing scam OP

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1666747008311328769?cxt=HHwWgoC8jdjkvKEuAAAA

Guardian is saying we paid a £35m release clause which if true is way cheaper than I was expecting for him.

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
Who knows but it seems like Brighton where desperate for him to sign a new deal before the World Cup, at which point he was only a bit part player for Argentina and wasn't looking like he would be a major part of their tournament.

This maybe explains the relatively low buyout clause (his stock obviously rose astronomically due to the WC) but from what I understand it wasn't a typical buyout clause and included some room for negotiations on the performance related clauses, which takes it up to 55m some of the outlets are reporting.

All in all he is an absolute model pro that did all he could for us, so not disappointed at the fee or him leaving.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

vyelkin posted:

Guardian is saying we paid a £35m release clause which if true is way cheaper than I was expecting for him.
I’m lovin’ it.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

Who knows but it seems like Brighton where desperate for him to sign a new deal before the World Cup, at which point he was only a bit part player for Argentina and wasn't looking like he would be a major part of their tournament.

This maybe explains the relatively low buyout clause (his stock obviously rose astronomically due to the WC) but from what I understand it wasn't a typical buyout clause and included some room for negotiations on the performance related clauses, which takes it up to 55m some of the outlets are reporting.

All in all he is an absolute model pro that did all he could for us, so not disappointed at the fee or him leaving.

I didn't know this but apparently he was out of contract this summer, so I guess he had a lot of leverage in the negotiations last fall. Without the 35m release clause he might have left on a free.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

vyelkin posted:

Ornstein and Brighton themselves are saying there wasn't a release clause and that it's going to be £35m+20m, which is still a great price.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Starting to look as though Declan Rice to Arsenal will be done soon, with fees from 90-100m being quoted. So that’s cool.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Is that actually being reported by anyone serious? I've not seen it outside of Arsenal posters so far. Actual journalists are saying West Ham want far more than Arsenal are willing to pay (so far)

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

TheRat posted:

Is that actually being reported by anyone serious? I've not seen it outside of Arsenal posters so far. Actual journalists are saying West Ham want far more than Arsenal are willing to pay (so far)

The Guardian’s top story is about how arsenal are confident of getting him for 90 and the Telegraph have a piece about how west ham are spending the 92m they’ve agreed for him (which is a very weird way of addressing the issue) so it does seem to be picking up steam.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
his game last night really didn't scream 90 millions worth midfielder

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Simiain posted:

I'm actually fully convinced that getting rid of Neville was an unofficial condition of his joining. Like, all this Adidas, Apple stuff is good....and money is nice, but working under Neville would be a legit hit to his ego (and reputation) enough that it would genuinely give him second thoughts and point him to the KSA.

Could well be true tbh but Neville gave them the perfect excuse by consistently sucking rear end. They’re bottom of their division. Worse than a team that plays on a baseball field. worse than Toronto under Premier League record breaker Bob Bradley

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

it feels like Rice going to Arsenal has been in the works and planned for several months now, but we'll see how it goes. Hope it ends up happening

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

tristeham posted:

his game last night really didn't scream 90 millions worth midfielder

Not showing up in big games means he has real Arsenal DNA.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Well you see the game just wasn't big enough

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Guess Sullivan has already told everyone Rice is off, just a matter of how much by whom.

Comedy answer would be Chelsea and cram another expensive player into their midfield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Kone and Thuram signing with Liverpool rumors ramping up across sources

Couldn’t get Koné in 2012 but 2023 is good enough