Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Maybe it was pier pressure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

FullLeatherJacket posted:

honestly: if we got a back CB, a couple of midfielders, and a quality striker, I don't think keeping De Gea #1 for next season would be the worst outcome in the world

I think a keeper is and have been for a few years by far the biggest priority, and keeping him would be a monumental disaster.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

He can't pass, he can't sweep, he can't communicate, he can't command his box or catch a cross, and he goes down clutching his face when Fred steps on his toe. His major redeeming quality used to be world class shot stopping, but the last few seasons he's been literally middle of the pack for PL keepers in that department too.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

unless Varane and the back line have actually been that monumental in United’s fortunes this year (again, haven’t watched very much)

Varane/Martinez (in particular)/Casemiro have been that monumental.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

He's nowhere near as good as Mascherano when it comes to the important poo poo like diving and ref crowding.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Ornstein, who I trust more than myself, reported a month ago that he doesn't have a release clause, but a weird clause that can help facilitate a move that Brightson still has to agree to.

Fake e: LOL that guardian article is from Romano

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

A day or two ago Barcelona fans were very smugly celebrating him coming back lmao

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

This is much funnier.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

vyelkin posted:

David Beckham is now Lionel Messi's boss, the Galacticos win again

We missed Phil Neville being his boss by mere weeks.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I have a feeling he'll probably not starve.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Dude could have gone back to Barcelona and been a legend/hero, instead he chose american money.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Considering all the tax issues and loving of Barcelona's wage structure he's been involved in over the years, I suspect he (and his agent father) rather likes money.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Just Chamber posted:

Anyone would snap up that money in a heartbeat.

Anyone who needs money, yes. Dude's already got more money than he and his children can ever spend.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Plenty of people are doing that. For instance, Lionel Messi just did that.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

vyelkin posted:

lmao at this Barca statement about the whole thing

What an incredible statement lmao

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

That's probably why most of it is being paid by Apple and Adidas.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

vyelkin posted:

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1666747008311328769?cxt=HHwWgoC8jdjkvKEuAAAA

Guardian is saying we paid a £35m release clause which if true is way cheaper than I was expecting for him.

Ornstein and Brighton themselves are saying there wasn't a release clause and that it's going to be £35m+20m, which is still a great price.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Is that actually being reported by anyone serious? I've not seen it outside of Arsenal posters so far. Actual journalists are saying West Ham want far more than Arsenal are willing to pay (so far)

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

the sex ghost posted:

so maybe he's stank the place out there idk

He receives a paycheck, op

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Would be strange if they weren't in for him tbh. Magnificent midfielder that's young and homegrown isn't something that comes on the market every year.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Now that's funny

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Isnt Neves from Portugal lmao

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/JBurtTelegraph/status/1671160311305633799

lol

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Havertz and Ødegaard sounds like just about the least balanced midfield in PL history

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/David_Ornstein/status/1671823035857350660

rut-roh

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Can he nutmeg Figo?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

lol ok

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Xabi posted:

He might be one of the good guys.

Tell that to the Irish

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I bet they offered to pay gently caress all up front

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

hadji murad posted:

Getting anything beyond a loan with an option to buy from an Italian club is incredible business.

Last I checked, Inter still hadn't paid Man Utd for Lukaku.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Not for what Arsenal are supposedly going to use him for. He's absolutely not a Partey replacement, and if they plan on running a midfield of Ødegaard, Havertz and Rice that's going to be the most counterable midfield in PL history.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

He's up there but he did better than Anthony has

What?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Antony had a pretty decent to good first season, Pepe was loving absymal lmao.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

ozmunkeh posted:

Antony has slotted right into the Mason Greenwood role of running at defenders while doing countless stepovers before blasting the ball into the stratosphere. He’s taken to the domestic violence aspect like a fish to water as well. A perfect replacement

I don't think you remember seeing Greenwood play.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

So they haven't agreed fee?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

vyelkin posted:

I've seen other sources saying basically that West Ham are happy with the size of the fee so they've got an agreement in principle but there are still a few things to work out with how the fee will be structured

Yeah but when west ham want it in a year and a half and arsenal wants to pay it over half a decade, that's hardly fee agreed.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/David_Ornstein/status/1674444022960537600?s=20

:eyepop:

E:

quote:

United had a third bid worth £55m rejected last week but have now agreed to pay an initial fee of £55m plus £5m in difficult add-ons.

TheRat fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 29, 2023

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Yea I don't mind it at all.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Vegetable posted:

Pretty nuts that they got De Gea to agree to a new contract then basically pulled out of it like days before his current contract expired. This is mustache-twirlingly villainous stuff.

By all accounts they pulled out weeks if not a month+ ago, they just haven't announced it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

sebzilla posted:

Why/how are Arsenal spending so much money?

They've spent a fuckload of money since Arteta, really.