Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

vyelkin posted:

Back during the World Cup I was thinking Liverpool should sign Mac Allister and now it might actually happen but hey at least we waited until the summer to pay a slightly less inflated post-WC price.

It's taken way too long to get someone lined up to replace Ward. Personnel turnover seems to have affected a lot of things at Liverpool from dealing with injuries to getting new players,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

sebzilla posted:

Martin O'Neill was good at Villa after managing Celtic

Didn't his transfer shenanigans play a big role in getting them relegated, though? I remember him spending substantial money (especially given Villa's resources at the time) on mediocre players who rarely played and the consequences of having to correct that ultimately sent them down.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

I would like to see a bunch of English footballers having to live in a country where it's a production to buy alcohol, even for rich expats, but I'm sure the league owners will try to keep the players in their own little world and have something set up.

https://gulfbusiness.com/saudi-tourism-official-clarifies-countrys-stand-on-alcohol-consumption/

And most of the players going over to Saudi Arabia are older and probably past the partying stage, so whatever inconveniences there are will probably get shrugged off and they'll just run their contracts down and retire.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Is he good? I've never seen him play.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

greazeball posted:

Pretty sure that was Newcastle. United bought him after actually watching him play :laugh:

Didn't they get a decent amount of use from him? He wasn't a bad bench option, from what I recall.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

tarbrush posted:

Hey, everyone knows that Origi only functions in extremely specific circumstances

I would love to know what the inside scoop on Origi is. He has so many great (and funny) moments for Liverpool, but his career elsewhere has been pretty disappointing. Is he just hard to coach?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Eau de MacGowan posted:

what is mbappes world influence stats though, fucker couldn't even stop a bunch of kids from rioting

Neymar couldn't get Bolsonnaro reelected either. I think it's a wash.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Shrapnig posted:

I think the surprise is that it took a decade

Does Arsenal still have any Wenger-era players? I'm too lazy to look this up.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

sticksy posted:

I really hope it impacts the national team prospects of some of these guys. Chase the petrostate payday, it’s a free country (well, not KSA), but don’t expect to get call-ups.

This is why I'm surprised Fabinho is reportedly entertaining a Saudi stint. He gets a good amount of Brazil call-ups and being in the Saudi league is going to put that at risk.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

60m for a promising but raw 19 year old from last season’s worst team seems uhhhhhhh not ideal

But hey it’s not my money

City has a sell-on clause too, which is another incentive for Southampton to push the price up.

Anyway, this might all be moot. I've seen reports saying Lavia wants to go to Chelsea now too.

https://twitter.com/sachatavolieri/status/1690848401477246976

That seems like a fitting end to this whole farce.

Meanwhile, John Henry looks set to make the most futile step possible...

https://twitter.com/FelixJohnston_/status/1691031102213795840

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

There is no way Eric "Ethereum" Ten Hag is going to let Varane go given what his other options in the squad are.