Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

when was the last time that someone moved to the English league after managing one of the Old Firm clubs and wasn't immediately shite?

although tbf I'm trying to think of anyone other than Ferguson that ever came south and managed to be not shite (neither Busby, Shankly nor Big Davey Moyes ever managed in Scotland) but I'm sure there's an obvious one I'm missing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

sebzilla posted:

Martin O'Neill was good at Villa after managing Celtic

Rodgers (and maybe Lou Macari, if you squint real hard) also technically qualifies on that basis, until he was shite, but they're both dudes who were good at a mid-table club in England, went to Celtic, won every domestic trophy and had people name their kids after them, then went back to England and took a job at a mid-table club

I'm starting to think that Scottish football might just not be that hard

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

sebzilla posted:

Dear Football Santa this summer I would like for Manchester United to sign a goalkeeper and a striker and a midfielder lots of love from sebzilla aged 33 don't sign your posts

But yeah, if nothing else we'll need to replace the dudes going out as all indications are that Weghorst and Sabitzer haven't done enough to justify paying a transfer fee for them (tbh I'd take both as squad players if they were on a free). You have to believe that Harry Maguire is also likely to be told to get on his bike and look for a credible fee this summer, and Martial and Sancho are probably both on borrowed time unless something changes.

Garnacho and Anthony are able to fill that Sancho gap, but that's still four additional players you have to bring in just to cover the gaps in the squad that meant bringing dudes like Weghorst and Sabitzer in on short-term loans in the first place, plus potentially a goalkeeper.

I've been banging the Dean Henderson drum for some time, but I think that bridge is burnt and he'll go to Forest permanently.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

UnderFreddy posted:

i hope the big wigs at United think getting a GK is "too much to do" on top of what they have to do now, and give De Gea a 2-3 year deal

honestly: if we got a backup CB, a couple of midfielders, and a quality striker, I don't think keeping De Gea #1 for next season would be the worst outcome in the world

people have gotten in their heads that he's some kind of flailing Roy Carroll idiot who needs to make a saving throw against Fear Of Airborne Balls every time the opposition have a shot (because they keep seeing that Roy Keane doesn't rate him), but that's never really been true

his problem is that he's about thirty years out of date - he'll make a couple of saves each season that I don't think any other keeper is getting a glove to, but he just can't do the sweeper keeper thing that modern fancy football tactics requires

he's not the future, and needs to be replaced sooner rather than later, but United's big issue is ultimately not that their catchman caught less balls than the other teams' catchmen this season

FullLeatherJacket fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 4, 2023

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

I’ve not watched a ton of United games this year so perhaps y’all mancs can enlighten me, but is De Gea really that bad? Like, I know he has howlers occasionally since they make the rounds in highlights and social media, but he just won the golden glove. Seems like a bit of past bias playing into the current moment unless Varane and the back line have actually been that monumental in United’s fortunes this year (again, haven’t watched very much)

It basically comes down to the argument above, where United's success this season has mainly been in conceding very few goals (even given a couple of blowouts) and then scoring marginally more, giving us a goal difference just ahead of Brentford but third place in the league. Part of that is to have the back four sit deep with Casemiro in front of them, which is good and goes back to what Solskjaer did in his first year before everyone started bitching and Ronaldo showed up (except for the Casemiro bit), but the suggestion is then that doing so inhibits the ability of the team to press higher or play joined-up attacking football that isn't largely reliant on wingers bombing on and falling over for a penalty.

But as long as De Gea is in place, you're pretty much wedded to that because he's going to stand stock still on his six-yard line headbanging to Avenged Sevenfold whether there's a ball over the top or the stadium starts flooding.

That said, I'm definitely with you that there's a weird element that reacts to losing in a competitive final by drawing up lists of players who aren't good enough to wear the shirt and preparing for hari-kiri if they're not immediately sold this summer and we just paper over the cracks by signing loving Neymar and Harry Kane

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

TheRat posted:

We missed Phil Neville being his boss by mere weeks.

this is what I mean when I say that Americans spoil all humour

just imagine Big Phil telling Lionel Messi how to be good at football, moving the salt shakers around while eating egg and beans

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

if he went back to Barca they'd be leaking stories to the press about how his wages are hurting the club after six months

or he can go to loving seaworld every day

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Major Operation posted:

SeaWorld is in Orlando and is like 350 km away by car. However, it also sucks big time compared to a very long list of attractions actually in Miami.

Also, no one is going to suddenly want to watch MLS because of this. The rest of the players are still bad.

messi will have a man to drive him to seaworld and only seaworld

he will know all of the penguins by name

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

have Barcelona nominated their player yet for 2023 where everyone else is being mean by not halving their wages so they can bring them in?

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chelsea supposedly want about the same for Mason Mount and United have laughed at them and sent an offer for £40m instead

it will own extremely when they end up having to sell them all at cut prices in August and then they immediately stop being poo poo because they don't have to play for Chelsea any more

except Pulisic, who will still be bad

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Butterfly Valley posted:

Is a Dahoud also the name for a physical place of gathering???

I believe 50 Cent wrote a song about being from there, yes

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Nuclear Spoon posted:

the neves one probably sucks the most because the dude is only like 26 and can still make it big in europe

tbf i think when you're from the third world the money hits different

a ballon d'or is nice but it won't build a school for the village or tarmac the road to spain

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

TheRat posted:

Isnt Neves from Portugal lmao

he is, but it's cruel to laugh at him for it

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

vyelkin posted:

okay West Ham how about we give you a fiver now and then one hundred million pounds when Declan wins the Ballon d'Or?

daily reminder that there was a genuine ballon d'or add-on in our anthony martial transfer

gonna use a real light pencil on that accounting journal

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

TheRat posted:

Tell that to the Irish

I believe they've already been told

The good lads who play well get an England shirt, and then the bad players with an Irish grandparent get to stay in the Ireland age-group teams forever and displace actual Irish players

why waste money on an actual youth development program when you can just stand outside St George's Park offering free family trees to people

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

i'm imagining ten hag just coming back with the same £55m and telling them that he'll take £1m away every day they wait

woe to the vanquished

FullLeatherJacket fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 29, 2023

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

de gea is apparently now a free agent

contract offer is still on the table but I'm sure some bad team will swoop in and try to sign him (the bad team is not united do not say that the bad team is united)

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

just casually drawing a line through kylian mbappe's name on a flipchart, and then writing ALEXIS FLIPS with the good pen

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

god bless you jesse lingard, you went to forest to prove that united did you dirty and then scored zero goals

they would literally have been better off with jozy altidore, an american

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

an_mutt posted:

Sounds like an NXT trainee

gary, please check the u-boat manifests for a 'spike brits'

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

vyelkin posted:

From what I read Mount was always on the chopping block because he's homegrown which from an FFP standpoint means a sale is pure profit

also sources say that Ten Hag very much sold Mount on coming to United, to the point that he was either going to do so now or in a year for free

sources also say that Todd Bohlzahlez is mad as heck about it, which justifies the fee on its own

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

there goes the best worst goalkeeper the premier league ever saw

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Wazzerphuk posted:

He was never the same after he got caught stealing donuts from Tesco

I'm pretty sure that was before he'd played a single game for us

i miss when things that happened twelve years ago felt like a long time ago

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

it's also the first time since 1992 that mancchester united's squad includes nobody who has won the barclays premiere league

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

United want 50m for Maguire

reminder that spurs are apparently asking bayern for £120m for Harry Kane, a player with one year left on his contract and no resale value

that's nearly five drogbas

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

blue footed boobie posted:

I don't follow OP

a reasonable transfer fee is the number in your head that would be an actually reasonable transfer fee but then you multiply it by four

I am not old and I do not want a werthers original

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

i think their thing historically has mostly been crimes

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

lmao apparently after spending a year talking about how much he loves Inter and being an Inter player and planning to stay there forever (despite not actually being employed by Inter) Lukaku is now in talks with Juve and not responding to calls from Inter's management

it turns out he just really hated the chels and loved the bag, and that's very relatable

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

blue footed boobie posted:

I was going to say that I’m just here to see how Spurs squander the Kane money.

tbh if they get £100m for him then it's either going to be You're The Man Now Son or they're going to pitch it straight back out on a replacement striker and have to spend £75m+ to get anyone halfway decent in, it's not quite the same as when £80m for Bale was a record fee

failing that you could get Jesse Lingard on a free

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

for my part I would have loudly announced that I didn't give a poo poo what the fans thought and that I was going to engineer a move one way or another because I'd like to win at least the same number of trophies as Dean Windass in my career, then insist on all of my wings being buffalo hot despite the underlying premise of the show

i am nicolas anelka please do not doxx me

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

FullLeatherJacket posted:

it's also the first time since 1992 that mancchester united's squad includes nobody who has won the barclays premiere league

Paperhouse posted:

Manchester United have signed Jonny Evans lmao

(On a 2 game deal)

:smugdog:

bald king poo poo

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

just Ten Hag mm-hmming at Harry Maguire in the background explaining that he wants to fight for his place while rummaging through Alex Ferguson's old filofax looking for Ronny Johnsen's number

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

lol that chelsea signed aubameyang for money ten months ago

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

tony khan addresses his enemies

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

but also lmao if they only went in for silva because that clip went viral

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

if Harry Kane is on the market for £100m at age 29 then there's no reason that Mbappe would be any less than that at 24

for point of reference, Forest are apparently in for £15m for Anthony Elanga, a player who scored zero goals last season (to replace Jesse Lingard, who also scored zero goals last season)

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Nuclear Spoon posted:

lewis doesn't give a poo poo about spurs operations and the only people reporting this are people who don't report on spurs at all, feels like nonsense

more to the point, why would either of them have leaked that information to the press, considering it does nothing except weaken their negotiating position

pure transferwank, unlike the entirely sensible billion pound loan currently in progress

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Tbf that’s how sports tend to work in most countries

that's true but you shouldn't say it

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Simiain posted:

lol at the idea of Gerrard poring over scouting reports, staying up all night watching video analysis and watching anyone live.

Dennis Wise runs into the room with three more players with ten percent luck and twenty percent skill, amount of concentrated power of will to be determined

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

scored a hattrick against the finnland, he's got my vote