Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I hope his skill-set translates equally as well as Stevie G's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Pep turning John Stones into Javier Mascherano sure has been something to watch.

Although I think it was also Pep who turned Mascherano into one of the best centerbacks in the world

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

TwoStepBoog posted:

https://theathletic.com/4587862/2023/06/06/lionel-messi-inter-miami-barcelona/

Tl;Dr or don't have a subscription, Saudi Arabia not in contention.
Its between Barcelona and Inter Miami.
MLS, Apple, and Adidas throwing everything in to convince him to come stateside. Apple offering him a percentage of all MLS subscriber money that join if he comes. MLS offering him ownership stake in a team. Adidas not said, but something?

I hope MLS goes out of business

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Bellingham to Real Madrid is close to done, initial fee of €100m, 6 year deal

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

hadji murad posted:

Don’t American sports have salary caps?

MLS is a multi-level marketing scam OP

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

He was probably not good enough to be a Barcelona player, but he is a Barcelona player because it's all they could afford (for £50m).

That being said, he was pretty good in the Premier League so I don't know why he couldn't be again.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

blue footed boobie posted:

It’s been kind of in the back of my mind that the current crop of players in their prime late 20’s- early 30’s haven’t really produced as many top, top players as other generations*, so I wonder if we’ll see other top clubs invest in youth.

* I haven’t actually thought too hard about this and I’m sure it can be partially refuted through googling and effort posts so please don’t @ me.

You're kinda right, I took a look at the Argentina and France squads from the Final, small sample size, etc but for Argentina the real players of note in that age range are Leandro Paredes, Lautaro Martinez, Paulo Dybala(lol), and Emi Martinez.

For France it's Raphael Varane, Antoine Griezmann, and Adrien Rabiot(lol).

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

I get what you're saying. I think part of that is because of how utterly dominant Messi and Ronaldo were. Neymar is probably one of the best players of that late-20s, early-30s demo that you mentioned, but even so, his entire career has been played in the shadows of those other two.

Mbappe is the obvious heir to the throne of Best Player in the WorldTM, but it'll be fun to watch how the careers of Vini Jr., Bellingham, Haaland, and some others I'm probably forgetting blossom, and if any of them can pip him for that crown.

Barca has the "next Messi" come through their academy every year, bummer that they've all turned into the next Bojan Krkic.

Shrapnig fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jun 14, 2023

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Arsenal desperately need another forward who doesn't score goals so this makes perfect sense.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Please please please please

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

UnderFreddy posted:

i imagine the talks were quite short and consisted primarily of the words "gently caress off"

I bet they weren't

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Bold it then coward

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Masters of negotiation

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Jose posted:

Just offer the £90m with the £15m addon they win either the league or champions league

West Ham rejected Arsenal's first offer because of unrealistic add-ons like that

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

his proposal includes a lot more guaranteed money while we're discussing the pros and cons of made up transfer offers

K.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Right. He was saying 90+15 instead of 75+15 so I’m not sure what you’re getting at.

I was saying that the add-ons Arsenal were putting into place were ridiculous and are a flimsy attempt to increase a transfer fee without having to actually pay any of the money.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

sourdough posted:

lol truly shocking stuff here, a football club included hard to reach add ons in a transfer offer :wth:

It's funny because it's all public because Arsenal

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Accepts a cash offer from Manchester City!

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Kovacic to Chelsea is more or less done

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1671449786099040256

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

hadji murad posted:

Really wish you bolded this.

Never bold, never edit

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Wonder what this means for Kalvin N'Blobs

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

He did score three (3) more goals than Declan Rice last season.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Surely now is the time for Nicolas Pepe to shine

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Forwards are supposed to outscore wingers.

E: Unless you're talking about Pepe, which makes it a pandy season so the statistics are irrelevant

Shrapnig fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 21, 2023

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Ulio posted:

Seems like Tonali for Newcastle is serious? Could be due to AC Milan firing Maldnini after the season but Tonali seemed like a guy who would play at Milan all his life the way he talked about it.

Maybe Tonali is a bit like Robbie Keane and he has more than one boyhood club?

I bet the wages Newcastle are offering players would make a Januzaj blush

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Manchester City still don't have a true left back

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

sebzilla posted:

United back in for Mason Mount at £55M

I've never really *got* him as a player, is he good? Southgate seems to rate him and he's won Chelsea POTY twice so I suppose yes.

Eriksen cover/upgrade/replacement presumably.

One or both of McFred should/will probably leave, and Donny van de Beek surely has to go so there's a gap in midfield for sure. Don't think they're keeping Sabitzer permanently either.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

vyelkin posted:

The thing I've seen about Mason Mount in online football nerd analysis is that basically he's somebody who does everything pretty well, works hard, and is good at following managers' instructions, so he's not likely to win a game on his own but he'll make the players around him better and help the manager get their tactics working by doing what he's told, which is why every manager loves him and wants him on their team.

Manchester United have been missing a John O’Shea since John O’Shea left

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Average Lettuce posted:

Is there any chance the Saudis bribe their way into being allowed into UEFA/Champions League?

Can they out-bribe the Israelis?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

vyelkin posted:

The fact that the Saudis have even more money than that guy doesn't mean they won't come to the same conclusion when signing 38-year-old Ballon d'Or winners on nine-figure contracts doesn't make the Saudi Pro League more popular than the Premier League overnight.

I haven't even seen a Saudi League highlight outside of things posted here to lol at Ronald. I don't think the world sees this as anything more than idle curiosity and oogling the money being bandied about. In five years we'll be probably be going "whatever happened to Ruben Neves" much like we have every once in a while with Oscar.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

the sex ghost posted:

Not much of a contract if you can sign it and the other party goes 'lol just kidding'

Time to do all the winston bogarde moves

He can live up the next 3 days until his contract expires however he'd like.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Double postin'

The rumor is that Inter's representatives are in Manchester to finalize Onana's move to United. Played for ten Hag at Ajax, loves a diet pill, seems cool and good.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Out of nowhere is quite a stretch for a guy who has won the Champions League four (4) times.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Vegetable posted:

He’s proof that you can be middling at your job and still be wildly successful

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

the sex ghost posted:

Holding the shirt like someone wiped their arse with it seconds before going on camera is my favourite new signing move

You need to look closer and flip the image

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Is the new Arsenal thing saying Antony is a bigger flop than Pepe despite Pepe playing nearly as many games for Arsenal as Antony has played in his entire career?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Pepe is an empty stadium footballer, just like Jorginho. One outlier season in front of no crowds, dogshit before and after.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Ultimately Arsenal still look like loving rubes so I guess I'm ok with that narrative

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

ozmunkeh posted:

Antony has slotted right into the Mason Greenwood role of running at defenders while doing countless stepovers before blasting the ball into the stratosphere. He’s taken to the domestic violence aspect like a fish to water as well. A perfect replacement

At least United have the good sense to not play their rapist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Because the whole image is photoshopped you doofus