Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
The local bar/movie theater here in Salt Lake showed this last winter and it is a masterpiece, a stark and beautiful and horrible movie that's become one of my favorite westerns. It really does look like a storybook version of Utah, all red rock and white snow, which is pretty amazing considering it was filmed in the Dolomites half a world away. The cinematography is incredible, just an incredible use of the landscape with the frame drowned in oppressive white snow.

I also love how it lulls you into a sense of false security. The first half almost feels conventional, or at least more like Corbucci's earlier crowd-pleaser, Django. It's got some humor, a silent and mysterious protagonist with a cool gun, and a charismatic but hateable villain. And then Kinski murders the sheriff and it all goes to hell in the bleakest way imaginable.

The folks who run the free movie nights had shown Django earlier, and then warned us that The Great Silence was pretty different and much bleaker, but it still hit me like a gut punch. What a great film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU