Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

jeeves posted:

I come and go with this pod, sometimes the books are just fukken boring.

But hot drat is Artemis a return to form for them.

There's definitely a challenge to the book selection since they want a variety and it's a lot harder hard to scope out if a book is boring bad or crazy bad than it is for a movie. I'd say they're batting about .750 in their selections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

No, Jeeves is right. The Star Wars field before the Zahn trilogy was really barren. The only thing consistently coming out for it was the West End Games RPG.

Yeah, Star Wars in the early 90's was a dead property. There were tons of fans salivating for more Star Wars stuff, but for some reason it wasn't being used at all. It's probably why we got good stuff like the X-Wing and TIE Fighter games. As soon as work started on Phantom Menace, though, the already shaky quality of Star Wars media went right off a cliff.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mordja posted:

Is that the one with Luuuuuuuke?

No, it's the one about a blob that sucks energy running a cult that Luke joins and is written by an award winning SF author (and I happened to hate every book that she won an award for). The Star Wars book podcast Expounded Universe did one of their early series on it and it's it's a ride.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

I want Larry and Denise to win because I loved Antigua so much but if The Missus wins I think it will be the first of these books I read along with.

I actually ordered a used copy of Redshirts just in case it wins so I can read along. I spent some time reading every Hugo Award winner and it won the year after I finished that project and I wasn't too interested in going on with it then. It's not like many of the other books for the podcast where if I read along I'd want to throw the book out afterward.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

"Milton Bradley - his name was a reference to a company of board game makers - had found a box of his dad's favorite TV shows on DVD. He especially thrilled to the A-Team, which was about a group of do-gooding mercenaries who were also on the run from being caught by the military. The team's tough man, B.A. Baracus, had a wild hair cut!"

Fanfiction. It's tough, but I'm going with fanfiction.