Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

What is it?
372 Pages We'll Never Get Back is a podcast hosted by Michael J. Nelson and Conor Lastowka of RiifTrax semi-fame in which they read and mock bad literature. Well, *technically* they go in with an open mind so there's always the possibility that one of the books they read will actually be good, but so far they're batting 1000. The pod was named in reference to the first novel they covered, Ernest Cline's execrable Ready Player One, but as of this writing they've gone through over twenty works of absolute dreck, usually alternating between a big, professional title and a shorter, self-published piece of outsider-art.

What books have they tackled?
Have a big list:
Ready Player One
Armada
The Eye of Argon
Tekwar
The Forensic Certified Public Accountant and the Cremated 64-SQUARES Financial Statements
Bob Honey Who Just Do Stuff
The Mister
Trucking Through Time
Lair of the White Worm
Shadow Moon
Moon People
Digital Fortress
My Immortal
Midnight Sun
Ready Player Two
The Quilters Push Back
Modelland
Irene Iddesleigh
Antigua: The Land of Fairies, Wizards and Heroes
Gump & Co.
Super Constitution
Murder in Christmas River
Edison’s Conquest of Mars

What's the worst thing they've read?
Oof, that's a tough one. I think it might still be Bob Honey, by famed Hollywood actor Sean Penn. It's just so bitter and thinks it's so much more clever and profound than it actually is.

What are they reading now?
Artemis, by the guy who wrote NYT best-seller, The Maritan. It stinks! This subsection will NOT be updated btw.

Why did they ever think people would read along with them?
Because Mike is an old man and doesn't realize that podcasts are just friendship simulators for the criminally insane.

Where is it?
They've got a website you can listen to it on and I assume it's available wherever you get all your other podcasts.

When is it out?
The podcast is roughly biweekly, usually with longer breaks between books.

Why do I feel the need to give them all my money?
Because you're a rube. Their Patreon is here: https://www.patreon.com/372pages

Mordja fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Shadow Moon did give us the whole insane floor thing.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I've never seen nor read The Martian. Are either incarnations as insufferable as Artemis is?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, it is amazing that the pages of just '80's references list' made it into an actual published novel to be read by human beings. I still love how irritated Mike gets when Cline's writing how Wade says "our conversations were very witty and interesting" in a very tragic case of telling and not showing.
Huh...As per the latest episode, there's a very similar thing in Artemis. Maybe the conspiracy is true! :tinfoil:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I've never seen Willow, but I did read the novelization a bunch as a kid and liked that a bunch. It was not written by Claremont.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Always skip the "comedy" sketches they do. They're almost never funny and the minutes of build-up about how they got them off the dark web are excruciating.

:wrong:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Dawgstar posted:

Well the kids have to learn about TekWar sooner or later.

I still hope they do more Tekwar books one of these days.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Another The Martian questions: did it have anything similar to Artemis's incessant "HEY DID YOU KNOW THE MOON HAS LESS GRAVITY?!" refrain?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I think the funniest thing about Artemis is when Weir just doesn't bother thinking through the most basic of facts, like how little money is at stake or the "floating" wrench or whatever that gets dropped. Especially considering his stuff is all, "gently caress Yeah Science!"

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Think I just found their next book...
https://twitter.com/misterbloat/status/1672967411136442371

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Is that the one with Luuuuuuuke?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Random Stranger posted:

No, it's the one about a blob that sucks energy
Don't doxx me bro.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Dawgstar posted:

Also there are werewolves!

Weird, there were werewolves in one of the only Star Wars books I ever read too, I, Jedi.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Haha there was a prequel too? Or do you just mean the puppykiller movie?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
New book, new episode, though Mike's recording from inside a tin can.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Can't pretend I expected an authoritarian canine coup to happen in the first few chapters of the 101 Dalmatians sequel but here we are. :dogstare:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
It's me, the guy who likes their cheesy skits. I'm part of the problem. :twisted:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
It is over, and yeah, it was a little weak. Outside of the bizarre premise and authoritarian dog takeover, nothing much seemed to happen, and the prose itself was competent enough that there wasn't enough to mock.

The Mr. was one of the funniest they read so I'm fine with them revisiting a crowdpleaser.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 13, 2023

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Very glad to have Larry & Denise back

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I am literally sitting in front of a fireplace, wearing a sweater, drinking a big cup of tea. Usually I'd hold it by the handle but I cupped it in my palms to prepare for the new book.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Lmao that the last book just lifted wholesale from a "How To Write Christmas Cozy Mysteries" guide.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I can't believe this wasn't written by a 13 year old. It's a bigger self-insert wish fulfillment than My Immortal!

Mordja fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 2, 2024

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So the author's a Mormon, right? Getting some real Mormon fantasy vibes from this book.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm confused about what separates this author from any of the other self-publishing weirdos--outside of the delusions of grandeur--that would make you guys uncomfortable.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Real :stonk: moment when the book reveals Hope's age

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Do you dream of every breakfast, lunch, and dinner you've ever eaten, at least?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
This episode actually made me consider for the first time that Cline might have been a big fan of MST3K and I wonder if he knows how much Mike loathes his work.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Apr 21, 2024

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Who is this book for? It's way too childishly written for the YA market it purports to be targeted towards, but it also deals with the loss of family to illness and war that I imagine would put off a younger audience. Then there's the fact that it's set in the 80s and has all the throwaway references we've grown to expect, and what 9-15 year-old would give a poo poo about that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Cline just can't help himself. :negative: