Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Best book was The Forensic Certified Public Accountant and the Cremated 64-SQUARES Financial Statements, worst book was probably Digital Fortress just because the episodes kind of bored me. It's one of the more enjoyable podcasts out there but I also keep wondering why I still subscribe to the patreon because they don't do a ton on there, but whenever I think that they drop something that keeps me coming back because podcasts are indeed about imagined friendships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mordja posted:

I've never seen nor read The Martian. Are either incarnations as insufferable as Artemis is?

I really liked the movie. There are times where the dialogue is a little insufferable and it feels like maybe this is from an annoying book, but it's a really fun movie.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sourdough Sam posted:

I've seen the RP1 movie and thought it was bad but this podcast really illuminates how much worse the book is. Cline's style of writing and plotlines are beyond childish. RP2 somehow lowers the bar even more. No wonder there's no movie. Dude is pop culture poisoned.

There is a movie in the works.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
While 64 Squares was my favorite book my absolute favorite episode is the first Super Constitution episode where it's all about sex and nymphos and joining the Air Force and they were just completely taken off guard. Especially because Mike is such a prude.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

jeeves posted:

No, but it does have a lot of “hey here is a bunch of science you guys like science right?” segments.

I’m still in camp “Artemis was ghost written by you know who,” as his third book Project Hail Mary is way more like the Martian than this poo poo.

If the story is true that he recommended his co-worker read Ready Player One instead of his own book he probably just really admired Cline and wanted to closer emulate his humor.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

jeeves posted:

Going back and listening to Super Constitution due to them constantly referencing it and... wow.

The first episode of Super Constitution came out the day I got COVID. I listened to like an hour of it and thought "This is the most insane book they've ever read" and then passed out. A week or so later something sparked in my brain and I remembered the new episode had come out, and that I listened to some of it. I just remember thinking "Wait wasn't there a bunch of nympho content???" and not being sure if I had regained my grip on reality.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Does anyone remember Mike's story about meeting Tony Danza and saying something about Going Ape that made him really mad? I couldn't find it searching on the patreon and after watching Going Ape I wanted to revisit it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I am genuinely impressed how barring maybe or or two every pre planned bit on this podcast is just genuinely awful and yet the rest remains pretty funny.

There are two on the new episode and both are just awful. Also they insulted Bosch.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Poll for the next book is up on the patreon and the options are

The Missus
Redshirts

and The Adventures of the Teen Archaeologists by Larry and Denise.

You can guess which is winning.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I want Larry and Denise to win because I loved Antigua so much but if The Missus wins I think it will be the first of these books I read along with.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Fezz posted:

I just want another TekWar, said the robot pump disdainfully.

Them not going back to Tek or Titus Uno makes me sad.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

nine-gear crow posted:

And I can sort of see why. Unless there's some real bangers of bonkersness in the other Titus Uno books, you kind of get everything you need to know about the series in 64 Squares, and doing two or more Titus Unos would just be insufferable because of all the auto-complete repetition. Not going back and finishing the Tek series though is a loving sin. I need to know how many more meetings about Sonny Hokori there are in the books before Sonny Hokori actually finally shows up.

Them getting mad about cut and paste was really funny and some of the other Titus Uno plots sounded really funny. Who's the Sheriff of 64 Squares is also one of the running gags that actually makes me laugh.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

jeeves posted:

I think the simple fact that they would know what insanity to expect going into a sequel to something they’ve already covered kind of ruins it for them.

Then they wouldn't want to go back to EL James or Ernest or any of these incredibly repetitive writers.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

jeeves posted:

I think they’re cursed to read whatever drivel Cline shits out next due to the original premise of the show. I don’t think they’ve done any other author twice otherwise yet?

I would buy this if the next book wasn't a repeat author and one of the other options in the poll another repeat they basically said they'd be doing in the future either way.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

nine-gear crow posted:

https://372pages.com/ep-151-the-adventures-of-the-teen-archeologists-intro

It's Teen Archeologists time, bay-be! How many loving repeated sentences are gonna be in Larry and Denise's lesser known opus THIS time?

The first episode is up on the patreon and the first few chapters being set in "reality" makes their style even weirder than Antigua.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mordja posted:

Very glad to have Larry & Denise back

Always exciting when the way to find the real entries in Real or Fanfic is to pick the ones that are too stupid to be fanfic.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I bit on the same Real or Fan Fic that Mike bit on and got laughed at for in the latest episode.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I forgot I ordered a copy of the Super Constitution Remix "How to Revive the Middle Class" so yesterday I open my mailbox to find a package from Top Wholesale Jewel that felt like a book was inside and I was really confused.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Kangra posted:

I'm a bit behind on this, so just finished Teen Archaeologists. I only realized after listening to the entirety of the third episode that I had completely missed the second episode. Having a completely new set of characters and situations was completely unsurprising to me; about all I noticed was that Mike & Conor seemed to be more familiar with Isabella than I would've thought, but I chalked it down to them having actually read the book.

But was it signed by the author himself?

It was!

You, and everyone on the free feed are in for a treat when the next episode comes out.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I do not understand a single thing that is going on in the new book.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Anime. It's a guy trying to write his own shonen superhero anime. It's why the girl punches him all the time, that's a stock thing that happens in anime.

Sick, Mike and I are on the same level of understanding then.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mordja posted:

Real :stonk: moment when the book reveals Hope's age

When the party they meet at is described he writes something like "Every girl there was either 2 years younger or 1 year older" so it didn't really surprise me but everything about the book is unfortunate.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Hope you are excited to go from a book written about young adults to Ernest Cline's new YA book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I don't know who else subscribes to the patreon but the Encyclopedia Brown stuff is pretty funny and and a good way to feel smarter than Mike.