Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I come and go with this pod, sometimes the books are just fukken boring.

But hot drat is Artemis a return to form for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
No, but it does have a lot of “hey here is a bunch of science you guys like science right?” segments.

I’m still in camp “Artemis was ghost written by you know who,” as his third book Project Hail Mary is way more like the Martian than this poo poo.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Going back and listening to Super Constitution due to them constantly referencing it and... wow.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Shadow Moon keeps the crown!

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Yeah I think Shadow Moon edges out Bob Honey by just being so loving miserably long.

I didn’t read alone to Artemis but it sounds like this was a slog too.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Bob Honey is what broke me. I think it took me two years to return after that.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Lucas got absolutely lucky that Timothy Zahn was a competent pulp scifi author for his trilogy that he did in 1992-1993. Those books were absolute best sellers, and completely brought Star Wars back into public consciousness.

Lucas then just green lighted anything to help milk dat money because he didn’t give a loving poo poo.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
See “1987-1991: the Dark Times” in this Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_in_other_media

The Zahn books (1991-92) made a shocking amount of money out of no where and basically surprised everyone.

Shadow Moon was published in 1995, so basically the squarely in the “oh poo poo people want to pay money for this garbage quick push any garbage we can out!” era of Lucas.

Edit: Case in point, this horrid loving poo poo was published in 1994, and it would be a good contender for a 372 Pages book:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Crystal_Star

jeeves fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 2, 2023

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Isn’t Dogstar the name of Keanu’s band?

Also please don’t correct me because I choose to believe that it is now.

Edit: holy poo poo it is. Why would this knowledge be floating around in my brain?

Edit Edit: okay I’ve already completely forgotten the name of this book and it thought it was named something to do with “Dogstar”

jeeves fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 22, 2023

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Just drink it in, it is part of the charm.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Just a reminder that there are people who out there that hate the host sketch segments of MST3K

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I read Redshirts like 10 years ago or whatever and remember thinking "wtf why do people like this?"

It's the most like Ready Player One of the options, but of course I can see Teen Archaeologists winning!

I can't wait for Dogstar to be over, as I am seriously unable to pay attention to this stupid story.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 13, 2023

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
RedShirts is not as bad as like actual creepy Cline stuff, but it’s definitely not good.

However I think like Wil Wheaton did the audiobook, just like in ready player one. Never a good sign.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I think the simple fact that they would know what insanity to expect going into a sequel to something they’ve already covered kind of ruins it for them.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I think they’re cursed to read whatever drivel Cline shits out next due to the original premise of the show. I don’t think they’ve done any other author twice otherwise yet?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Not since Super Constitution have I had a real hard time making it through more than 10 min of a time of this.

There is something to be said about punching down so much with someone with clear mental illness or just an amateur author with no one editing their poo poo versus like someone who has made millions off of producing trash like Cline or such.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
How can he have written a book for people who are way too young to understand 80s references?

It simply doesn’t make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Them reading Cline just feels nice and warm in a way that Artemis made me feel.