Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Breadallelogram posted:

worst book they've covered: Shadow Moon - long and dull, sequel to a movie that's not even good (Willow), often feels like a generic fantasy novel that's just had Willow stuff inserted for franchise opportunities

Shadow Moon was wild. Neither Mike nor Sean are big Willow fans (the only Willow fan being Crow) but even they point out just how... nothing the book has to do with the movie aside from the prologue. I remember trying to read it as a kid and kept thinking that everybody from the flick was dead was some kind of weird swerve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sourdough Sam posted:

I've seen the RP1 movie and thought it was bad but this podcast really illuminates how much worse the book is. Cline's style of writing and plotlines are beyond childish. RP2 somehow lowers the bar even more. No wonder there's no movie. Dude is pop culture poisoned.

Yeah, it is amazing that the pages of just '80's references list' made it into an actual published novel to be read by human beings. I still love how irritated Mike gets when Cline's writing how Wade says "our conversations were very witty and interesting" in a very tragic case of telling and not showing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I tried to read Armada so i could submit some Real or Fanfics, but I gave up pretty much instantly.

Man, Armada was so bad. It boils down 'Remember the 80's' to 'Remember The Last Starfighter?'

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tars Tarkas posted:

I read Tekwar (and several sequels) and Shadow Moon when I was a kid, Eye of Argon and Edison Conquers Mars a few years ago, and My Immortal at some point. I've seen snippits of Cline's work and ended up blocking the author on twitter who unsurprisingly namesearches. Haven't read the others though weirdly curious about the 64 Squares series because lol. In the last Shadow Moon episode today and realized I'll soon hit the point when covid hits like I've done on three other podcasts this past year I was catching up on now that I can listen to them at work more.

Well the kids have to learn about TekWar sooner or later.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I am sad to report at the end of Artemis Chekov's condom did not pay off. :smith:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Shadow Moon was actually where I first started to fall off the podcast purely because it was so miserable and it just never seemed to end. Listening to them describe a series of events that ended in a character once and soon to be again played by Warwick Davis killing a dog and kicking a 12 year old boy's teeth in in a fit of rage for little discernible reason was my breaking point.

Did LucasFilms have any oversight on that book or did they just let Claremont go hog wild? (Note, you must never under any circumstance let Claremont go hog wild.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

No, Jeeves is right. The Star Wars field before the Zahn trilogy was really barren. The only thing consistently coming out for it was the West End Games RPG.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

jeeves posted:

Edit: Case in point, this horrid loving poo poo was published in 1994, and it would be a good contender for a 372 Pages book:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Crystal_Star

Following one of the best books in the EU, too. Wild.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Random Stranger posted:

No, it's the one about a blob that sucks energy running a cult that Luke joins and is written by an award winning SF author (and I happened to hate every book that she won an award for). The Star Wars book podcast Expounded Universe did one of their early series on it and it's it's a ride.

Also there are werewolves!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MassRafTer posted:

Does anyone remember Mike's story about meeting Tony Danza and saying something about Going Ape that made him really mad? I couldn't find it searching on the patreon and after watching Going Ape I wanted to revisit it.

That feels like the archetypal Mike story. Well, after admitting the only time he went into a head shop was to look for an album of classic music when he was a teenager.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

My mom always did wonder if Mike's parents were big fans of Sea Hunt.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kangra posted:

Wow, I just saw the update. I didn't even suggest it to them, just was hoping for it.

I can only imagine a sequel to 101 Dalmatians is as pointless as the prequel was. Excited to find out.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mordja posted:

Haha there was a prequel too? Or do you just mean the puppykiller movie?

Yeah, the movie. I remember laughing myself silly when Cruella's mentor(?) was killed by Dalmatians, a famously unaggressive dog breed but it was all in the service of hashtag girlboss.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

jeeves posted:

Just drink it in, it is part of the charm.

They're your friends, doing a bit. It's fine. :unsmith:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

jeeves posted:

I can't wait for Dogstar to be over, as I am seriously unable to pay attention to this stupid story.

Hey! Oh.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MassRafTer posted:

Hope you are excited to go from a book written about young adults to Ernest Cline's new YA book.

Oh no.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"Milton Bradley - his name was a reference to a company of board game makers - had found a box of his dad's favorite TV shows on DVD. He especially thrilled to the A-Team, which was about a group of do-gooding mercenaries who were also on the run from being caught by the military. The team's tough man, B.A. Baracus, had a wild hair cut!"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I think what really set the tone for me with Cline was not the two page spread of references and how he'd watched all of The Simpsons and Voltron and read Stephen King and whatever but when Wade said " Our arguments were often high in entertainment value." Yeah, citation needed there.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mordja posted:

This episode actually made me consider for the first time that Cline might have been a big fan of MST3K and I wonder if he knows how much Mike loathes his work.

One wonders how much self-awareness one can possess when they bought a DeLorean and put a Ghostbuster logo on the side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/372Pages/status/1782796379246457027