Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Just started this recently, up to the Willow book (excuse me, the Thorn book!), good times! I've read about half of these books before (not the Cline stuff, thank god!) and the choices so far have been pretty top notch. Eagerly awaiting catching up to Ready Player Two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

RandomPauI posted:

I liked conquest of mads as a historical curiosity that pointed to the future beliefs of different cults. Everything having vibrations, aliens making the pyramids, a lost race of space aryans, and more!

Conquest of Mars is what made me download though I'm not there yet (still in Willow sequel-verse, another book I read as a kid and realized it was terrible), the book is serialized newspaper weirdness but has all this stuff is pioneered that a century of literature owes a debt to

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

I read Tekwar (and several sequels) and Shadow Moon when I was a kid, Eye of Argon and Edison Conquers Mars a few years ago, and My Immortal at some point. I've seen snippits of Cline's work and ended up blocking the author on twitter who unsurprisingly namesearches. Haven't read the others though weirdly curious about the 64 Squares series because lol. In the last Shadow Moon episode today and realized I'll soon hit the point when covid hits like I've done on three other podcasts this past year I was catching up on now that I can listen to them at work more.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

I'd be down for more Tekwar but iirc the novels are more of the same they kill off Beth Kittridge in the 4th book and Jake's son becomes a major character. I can't remember when I stopped reading them but I know I didn't read them all

The trick of finding older bad novels that are weird, not boring, and not rapey is harder than you'd think