Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
we talking pre or post c++11 here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
if that's anywhere near the hardest thing to figure out with whatever c++ codebase you're working with then consider yourself lucky

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

echinopsis posted:

does auto make types like in js? coz I love having my
code feel like it has all the stability of a tomato plant without any sticks holding it up

no it doesn't and thank loving god for it. the compiler has to be able to figure out the type at compile time for it to work

we are, of course, talking about auto when used as placeholder for a local variable type here, because in true c++ fashion every keyword needs to have as many different meaning as possible in different context (though thankfully all of them still require the type to be deducible at compile time). we're not talking about auto used as, say, a function parameter type as is now allowed in c++20. possibly with concepts acting as constraints. or as part of decltype(auto) and its delightfully obvious meaning. or its effect of transforming a normal god-fearing r-value reference into a universal reference of loose morals when replacing a concrete type in a variable definition. or the type of firearm best suited to ending my suffering

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

echinopsis posted:

this post is a fuckfest

wish that were true for my actual life

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

akadajet posted:

yeah, especially when your libraries are built on the house of cards that is c++ templates.

it's not a house of cards! it's a conceptual blueprint that contains latent house-like structures which can potentially be built from cards!

or from reinforced concrete

or from drywall

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i just find some global variable with the type i need and use decltype() to create a new one with the same type

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
can we please not have this discussion again? all programming languages are bad because computers are bad and so is anything computer adjacent, computer touchers most of all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Twerk from Home posted:

This guy c++es

no i'm just dangerously unhinged as evidenced by the fact that c++ is my favorite language