Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
does auto make types like in js? coz I love having my
code feel like it has all the stability of a tomato plant without any sticks holding it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

no it doesn't and thank loving god for it. the compiler has to be able to figure out the type at compile time for it to work

we are, of course, talking about auto when used as placeholder for a local variable type here, because in true c++ fashion every keyword needs to have as many different meaning as possible in different context (though thankfully all of them still require the type to be deducible at compile time). we're not talking about auto used as, say, a function parameter type as is now allowed in c++20. possibly with concepts acting as constraints. or as part of decltype(auto) and its delightfully obvious meaning. or its effect of transforming a normal god-fearing r-value reference into a universal reference of loose morals when replacing a concrete type in a variable definition. or the type of firearm best suited to ending my suffering

this post is a fuckfest

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
sounds like a good way to reduce cognitive load imo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i use unreal blueprints which is basically just c++ and so can I just be real here for a second and say that c++ is easy as gently caress

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Xarn posted:

Do you also complain when people write std::string instead of std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char>>?

usually I let it slide

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i won’t lie, I do NOT understand any of that bullshit

code:
FOR i = 1 TO 10
PRINT “TURN ON YOUR MONITOR”
NEXT
this is all we ever needed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU