Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
In addition, $3.5k for a single ask is an order of magnitude more than we can pay to a single person in a month now, even if they are a goon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Thanks.

wwry
May 8, 2007
recently got laid off from my job i was using to support my fiance. any and all help is apprecciated. i don't know if i'm allowed to link gofundme in the thread. please no ban.

Seth edit: I'm sorry, but we can't allow personal GoFundMe links here.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 10, 2024

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
You can ask the Goonfund for a money request but we cannot allow personal fundraisers. I'm sorry but it's site policy.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I'm just curious if you guys wouldn't mind a question about the future of the fund?

The fund is great. Any concerns I had are long gone, even if I still think that more vetting could lead to more contributions, but that's complete opinion and the fund has been going great so what do I know.

My question is, things continue tightening around the economy, and especially with the computer toucher heavy goon population, a lot of people (including myself! I am unemployed through a tech layoff too, though I will not make a request to the fund as we have savings) will be asking for aid and I think even a cursory glance at the financials will reveal that the fund is not on a healthy trajectory to succeed in getting money to as many members as possible.

So I'm just wondering, maybe it's worth for example, prioritizing those with children/families? Or something of that nature? I don't have the answer or anything, it's just fairly clear, and correct me if I'm wrong, but more people are applying for money than ever, we don't have the money to cover them, and things are only getting worse, so maybe some light prioritization might help. And it kind of feels like from my perspective at least, that if kids are going hungry that might be the biggest priority :shrug: anyways thank you for running the fund, cheers!

Taima fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 10, 2024

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Would getting the mods to send the thread on a forums tour be a good idea? It increases exposure, which would hopefully increase donations, but also increase requests.

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017

Nooner posted:

Didn't we try this already and a mod just used it to buy themselves a new laptop? Lol

nooner!

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

As an update, we are down to a little over $400 and have $375 in pending requests. As we approach month end - I do want people requesting to know we absolutely cannot promise we will have the funds to fulfill your requests in a timely manner. That doesn't mean you can't request, but if you send us an urgent or even semiurgent request - there's a decent chance you have to wait some time before funds can build up or have to be OK with partial fulfillments.

I have had some donors reach out to cancel or pause recurring donations - so this isn't likely a short term issue we are facing. It's a sign of the times, unfortunately. We will do what we can with what funds we do have.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

really queer Christmas posted:

As an update, we are down to a little over $400 and have $375 in pending requests. As we approach month end - I do want people requesting to know we absolutely cannot promise we will have the funds to fulfill your requests in a timely manner. That doesn't mean you can't request, but if you send us an urgent or even semiurgent request - there's a decent chance you have to wait some time before funds can build up or have to be OK with partial fulfillments.

I have had some donors reach out to cancel or pause recurring donations - so this isn't likely a short term issue we are facing. It's a sign of the times, unfortunately. We will do what we can with what funds we do have.

i think you mean a little over $500

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Cactus Ghost posted:

:tipshat:

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
I just sent over a little funds. Not so much a donation, more paying the fund back a little. Thanks for all the help over the last 6 months, it's been a rough one and The Goon Fund saved my rear end more than once

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Cactus Ghost posted:

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

I just sent over a little funds. Not so much a donation, more paying the fund back a little. Thanks for all the help over the last 6 months, it's been a rough one and The Goon Fund saved my rear end more than once

o7

Every bit is appreciated. We've seen several new donations since this morning's announcement, and every one of them will help a lot

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
I threw a little extra in the coffers as well, I think this is such a great resource so I'm always happy to help keep the ball rolling a bit if the donations have hit a lull.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

Same. Sorry i can’t pay back much.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

My heartfelt gratitude to everyone who keeps the goonfund in the black, and an equally sincere antipathy to the Illinois state government for making my requests necessary.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Can I donate a Target gift card?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

cruft posted:

The thought is very much appreciated, but no, there's no way for us to accept a gift card as a donation.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

docbeard posted:

The thought is very much appreciated, but no, there's no way for us to accept a gift card as a donation.

Okay, thanks for answering! It shouldn't be too difficult to find local folks who can put it to good use :)

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

cruft posted:

sure. I could use one

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017

Nooner posted:

Didn't we try this already and a mod just used it to buy themselves a new laptop? Lol

I love taht Nooner was the first poster

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017

Nooner posted:

I think we also tried this with some kind of food stand (?) Somewhere in the south (?) Anyone remember what came out of that??

and the third!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Hello everyone,

We had a request that had a deadline of yesterday that we need some additional information to complete. We reached out to the requestor through the contact info they provided, but haven't yet heard back from them so I thought I'd mention it here, too. If this sounds like you, you can either PM me, or email us at usgoonfund@gmail.com.

Thanks

Mrfreezewarning
Feb 2, 2010

All these goddamn books need more descriptions of boobies in them!
This is one of the most amazing and heartwarming things I have ever seen and proves to me why there is no place like SA left online. You are doing good work here.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Can the Goonfund issue donation receipts, as a 501c3, or is that an administrative headache?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Subjunctive posted:

Can the Goonfund issue donation receipts, as a 501c3, or is that an administrative headache?

If you pay via stripe or pay pal you should get more official looking receipts or at least something confirming your funds being sent to a charity/business. Venmo or cashapp should still tell you that you gave us money. The most official receipt is sent in January to tell you of your prior year contributions for tax deductible reasons.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If you pay via stripe or pay pal you should get more official looking receipts or at least something confirming your funds being sent to a charity/business. Venmo or cashapp should still tell you that you gave us money. The most official receipt is sent in January to tell you of your prior year contributions for tax deductible reasons.

That January receipt will be perfect, thank you. (The PayPal receipt doesn’t include the charity registration number, which is the key to the tax stuff at least in Canada.)

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

MARCH 2024 FINANCIALS UPDATE

So a bit late on this, I apologize. April has been incredibly busy for me, and then I came down with a stomach bug over the weekend which delayed me even more. The short of it is that March was super dire for nearly the whole thing - and then we managed to get a bunch of funds dropped in the final week. So even though we were cash poor as of 3/31 - we went into April with enough funds that we have been good for the month. April has been a bit reduced in request volume, so we may be down to a stasis for now. Though we will see how it goes.

The committee did meet last Tuesday, 4/16, to discuss the previous quarter and any immediate business. The minutes for that meeting can be found here, if you don't want to read my summary from below.

• Speng has renovated the website. There's now an actual website and not something you click on google and worry about scanning for viruses.
  • We have filed our Form 990 with the IRS. The IRS has accepted the return.
  • As part of the filing, we discovered the need to be able to easily render data for the IRS in terms of funds spent on services. 2023 was estimations, thankfully, 2024 will have 11 of its months be hard data.
  • Another part of the filing was discovering the disqualified persons detail. This includes funds given by the directors (speng, KCW, and I) and also... people who donate more than $5K to the fund. We believe the $5K figure is annually, but the research I would have like to have done on it was spent in bed recovering. So I do not have more details for you, except that this threshold is SUPER IMPORTANT for us maintaining our public charity status as opposed to a private foundation. There are 3-4 donors that I am worried about spending $5K or more on the fund this year - so if you are one of them please get in touch with me. I will be getting with yall when I am hopefully not chained to one of a bed, a toilet, my work desk.
  • Current financial situation is decent. We have about $1500 in cash on hand, though our big monthly donations have already gone through and the end of the month approaches.
  • We did have a vote to lower our $125 threshold if the situation needs it. Doc and I wanted to do some research to figure out a sweet spot to keep the fund solvent without harming requestors too much, AND managing to keep our public charity status. Current guestimate is $110 - $115 as the new limit, but as of right now it is still $125
  • We do want to make sure people know that Paypal is actually quite viable for us to receive donations and send money to people. We recently got a large chunk through Paypal and was able to convert it to liquid cash within a business day. Very very useful. And thanks to the new charity designation on Paypal - we are only charged about 2% of what you donate.
  • Someone pointed out to me that the OPs of both threads are not fully up to date, and we need to go through and scrub it to clean it up and make sure there's nothing out of date.

Overall, a productive quarter for us. I hope to have more information for people on the $5K disqualification in the near future. If there's anything I would like some major feedback on, is that of our categories - other is currently about 15% of all requests. I really don't like this and would like to hear from people as to what other categories we can put in place to help people feel comfortable selecting. I'm not asking because I'm being nosy - I am asking to make it easier when filing our tax forms with the IRS. If requestors would prefer to email/PM a committee member their feedback instead of posting in the thread - they are more than welcome.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Thanks for all the work. I'm all too familiar with "oh no, someone gave too much/too much income has been earned and now we're going to make life Difficult for you" problem.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Just out of curiosity, would it be safe to characterize the fund as primary from large donors at this point?

I'm just curious because for a minute now, the reports have said things like 'oh well we were doing bad then we got this big cash infusion' and as far as I remember that's just kind of "how it's worked" for a while.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Taima posted:

Just out of curiosity, would it be safe to characterize the fund as primary from large donors at this point?

I'm just curious because for a minute now, the reports have said things like 'oh well we were doing bad then we got this big cash infusion' and as far as I remember that's just kind of "how it's worked" for a while.

Without getting too far into the weeds, and without violating anyone's privacy, no, that's not true at all. About 92% of our donations are for $100 or less, and that accounts for about 40% of our total dollars taken in. Large donations (anything above $500) is about 18% of our total dollars (and about 1% of our individual donations).

Those large donations definitely help (and have gotten us past some significant hurdles recently) but this really is a sustained group effort from a lot of people of all means. Every gift of any size is significant, and every gift is appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

That's great! I am absolutely not trying to belittle anyone's contributions in any way!

I was just seeking clarity about the wording. Good job yall :)