Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

really queer Christmas posted:

Since about last November, several goons have been running something called the "Goonfund". From November to March this was done on a mostly informal basis of just connecting people with money to people in need of money. But in March, the Goonfund officially incorporated as a true non-profit corporation and is an official charity run by a couple goons, of which I am one of them.

While the thread for the fund has been located in CSPAM, we have never focused on only helping goons that post there. We have helped goons posting in GBS, DnD, Games, TGR, ADTRW, RGD, and yes CSPAM. Where you post does not matter to us!

Money for the fund has gone to help goons pay for utility bills, get their car repaired, keep their car from being repo-d, groceries, dental help, help after floods, and medication.

So why am I posting this thread? Well because we need donations to help people, but we also want to make sure people know there's a fund available that can help them in time of need if they are an American.

At the time making this post, the fund is really low on funds, we are down to about $99 in our bank account, and $232 in our Venmo account. We are really in need of new funds to help make sure things keep going. Below are some questions you may have depending on whether you need help, or would like to help. Feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer. The main CSPAM thread also has a longer Q&A section if you want to review that one, as well.

THIS FUND IS NOT ENDORSED BY THE SOMETHING AWFUL FORUMS OR ADMINS. THE ADMINS HAVE NO EXTRA INSIGHT INTO FINANCIALS, DATA COLLECTION, OR HOW THE COMMITTEE WORKS BEYOND WHAT IS PUBLICLY AVAILABLE.

How do I request help?

Click here!

Please note, effective 6/3/23 - all requests will be capped at $125 due to low funds. This is an attempt to make sure everyone gets money. If your request is over this amount, we WILL keep your request active until we can fulfill it in full at a later date. This cap will be removed when our funds situation improves and any backlog is satisfied.

Who can request money?

Anyone with a SA account username and a USA residence! We are certainly willing to help out a friend of yours if they need a small amount of money, but the goal of this thread is to help the goons who post on this website (or once posted on this website) with any issues they are currently having.

Why can you only help Americans? And why can you only receive money from Americans?

Because of the way US laws and taxes work, if we send money overseas it brings a LOT more attention and can cause a lot of headaches for what is, essentially, a small charity run by a couple goons. To make it easier, we just don't take or receive money unless you reside within the United States. If you are in the UK, there is a UK goonfund you can request funds from here.

How do I get money from the fund?

Currently, we have the ability to send money via Cashapp & Vemo. We have a paypal account but whether it works is up in the air on a daily basis. We will not be able to send money via Zelle for the foreseeable future as our credit union doesn't support Zelle for business accounts.

Should I grovel and beg for a morsel of help from the community?

Absolutely not. Needing help from people is NOT a flaw of yours and isn't something you should be ashamed of. You do not need to feel bad for asking for help from this fund - you needing help is exactly why this fund is here! Our country has sadly abandoned many people who don't make 6-7 figures a year. Not having resources or family or friends able to help you is not your fault, and the fund is here specifically to be a safety net so that any goon never has to feel like they have no hope. You're not a burden for needing help.

What if I want to make a request in the thread?

We strongly discourage you from doing this. We can't stop you, but we do prefer to keep your request anonymous to keep your information safe, and also prevent any potential drama that could come up in the future.

Before I donate, do you have financials to look at?

Yes! Please see here for our May 2023 Financials.

Our only overhead currently has been government registrations, and merchant processing fees (the fees to process donations into our various accounts).

Is the Goonfund a 501c3?

Currently, no. The plan is to become one by the end of the year. We had to refile our state registration, but with that done, the only issue now is filing for the status with the IRS.

Enough questions, how do I donate?

There are several different ways you can donate - if you want to give money monthly, then that has to process through Stripe.

The first, is our one time flexible donation link: Here. This link will let you donate how every much you want and only do it once.

What if you want to donate a certain amount every month and want to pick the day it comes out of your account? Well then the following links are for you! Each one is already set to do a recurring amount out of your account once a month, the only difference between the links is the amount.

Give $5 Monthly

Give $10 Monthly

Give $20 Monthly

Give $50 Monthly

Give $75 Monthly

Give $100 Monthly

Give $250 Monthly

Want to give more monthly? Let us know and we can create a special link for you!

Can I give via paypal, venmo, or cashapp?

Sending us pure cash via Venmo/Cashapp costs us the least amount of money. But it has to be with cash from a bank. If you use a card to transfer money, then you will pay to transfer the money AND we will pay a fee to receive it. Cash only transfer will mean we will pay a small 1.9% fee (2.75% through cashapp) while you pay nothing - which is about a percent less than a stripe card "swipe".

GIVE VIA PAYPAL: LINK

GIVE VIA VENMO: LINK

GIVE VIA CASHAPP: LINK

What if I have any issues with my transaction, want to cancel my recurring donation, or otherwise need a refund?

Please email us at usgoonfund@gmail.com with any of these issues. Make sure to label the subject line appropriately so we can know what you are needing from us. Please also be as prompt as you can with your issue, as refunds will be much easier to process the sooner we know, and we may need time to process any recurring donations, so please don't email us 5 minutes before it's supposed to process.

well, this is the coolest loving thread ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

FirstnameLastname posted:

i think the goonfund is good :)

Sorry I don't mean to be a downer and it sucks to even bring up, but this feels kinda bad overall (to me, and my opinion doesn't matter to be fair). This guy hasn't even been around for a year on a website where the average poster probably starts at 10 years and goes up to 20+ years...

Everyone deserves help, and things are really hard right now. Honestly times are harder for literally everyone, just the way things are right now, but I really feel like this could be something truly special if it went to help users who we know; who have been here for a very long time, with a very long track record.

For example if Nooner rolled by with a sob story and needed a few bucks- just as an example of someone who has constantly contributed visibly since forever (his efforts in this thread notwithstanding, it's just an example)- I think enough people are posting buddies with Nooner that the money would flow in no problem. Nooner has posted 7 posts a day on average since 2011, and no one is going to top that really, but the general sentiment of giving money to known quantities makes sense to me.

By helping specific users with a long track record on the forums, people would imo be so much more willing to help and it would be a big leg up for the fund. And don't get me wrong, the people who do help the goon fund are amazing people, especially since in a lot of ways it's kind of just throwing your money into a hole without any real safeguards of note that I can see. Maybe it's just someone who posted in the WWF wresting thread for the last 7 years or something. That's fine. Just some consistent long term community activity.

This post really sucked to write and it took me a while to put pen to paper on this but at the end of the day I want people to be helped and just as importantly, I would love if people could donate to people who they are familiar with instead of this whole "just kind of write about how you're in trouble and you get money" that appears to be happening, especially since in the OP it is specifically condoned that you can ask for money for other people who aren't even goons, which sounds good on paper but is just absurdly easy to abuse and that alone is a huge wtf to me honestly.

Or have a system where users can petition for help, and then the donators themselves can weigh in with comments and money about the situation. I don't know, I'm no brain scientist, but nothing about the goonfund as it currently exists makes me feel good about throwing money into the system.

Does this make sense to anyone? Maybe it's just me, which is fair... but here is what I want to see for what little it's worth:

1) Long time community members receive funds, not new users. What constitutes a new user is up for debate, maybe it's not based on years of posting but instead activity, or a combination of both, that would have to be workshopped.
2) I want to be able to direct my money directly to those users, not throw money into a pile that is distributed on a top level.
3) Under this framework a user could request more than $125 because they are a known quantity. That doesn't mean they will get it, but it can be requested.

Idk man. I just want the fund to be successful :shrug: my opinion doesn't mean jack poo poo so ultimately who cares what I think, but I don't think this format maximizes donations.

And for the record the existing system could stay and run in tandem with one that was focused on helping veteran community members so I'm not saying throw out the current system; just allow people more control about who they donate to, and why, and keep that direct pipeline for those who want it or require it in order to feel ok about giving their money :)

Taima fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jun 10, 2023

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the cash-for-non-goons thing has actually come up and been dealt with in the uk version of this fund, which has been running successfully on the same model for a number of years. iirc small requests have sometimes been accepted, larger ones have been bumped back; there was a big edge case relatively recently that one particular goon just personally sorted directly rather than the fund doing it.

i think the core question is, why do you want people needing help to jump through more hoops to access that help? why should lurkers starve in preference to those with the leisure to actively post, and why do you think pivoting to a closed in-group fund would increase usage and donations?

anyway, hopefully there emerges some mechanism for Other Countries goons to donate, op; it's unfortunate that only US-based donations are possible at the mo.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Taima posted:

Sorry I don't mean to be a downer
I'd love for your children to get fed this week, but your posting metrics, ma'am - They're not great. Have you considered posting more in the huge dumps thread?

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Slugworth posted:

I'd love for your children to get fed this week, but your posting metrics, ma'am - They're not great. Have you considered posting more in the huge dumps thread?

Cash4posts

Flora Finching
Sep 10, 2009

Or it's possible they've been here over 20 years and don't want their government name associated with 20 years of cringy shitposts.

How about when people need help we stop trying to make them crawl through glass. If you don't want to donate, don't. This conversation has been done to death.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Donating to this out of spite after seeing Plinkey's latest colonspews.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

got me 50 ounces out a bird in this bitch
`

FirstnameLastname fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jul 6, 2023

MaximilianK
Jan 8, 2022

If you thought credit scores were bullshit let me tell you how your posting score is formulated and used.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Gatekeeping charity aid by reg date is the most gbs poo poo ive ever seen lol, oh no someone might accidentally get helped that needs it. Can't have that, they have to post through their hardships until theyve earned dinner

e: also let me remind you that the biggest scammer of em all was the OG goon that created the forums in the first place, so that logic probably isn't the best

e2: the more i re-read that post the worse it gets, one of your proposed solutions is to basically set up a goon aid shark tank episode and the person has to pitch their needs to the donators who respond with commentary and possibly money, that's weird as hell

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 10, 2023

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Why are goons so loving weird?

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

HonorableTB posted:

e2: the more i re-read that post the worse it gets, one of your proposed solutions is to basically set up a goon aid shark tank episode and the person has to pitch their needs to the donators who respond with commentary and possibly money, that's weird as hell

More like Goon Queen For A Day, where the person with the most miserable story wins the prize.

pyknosis
Nov 23, 2007

Young Orc

just what you'd expect from a fuckin :regd06:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

HonorableTB posted:

Gatekeeping charity aid by reg date is the most gbs poo poo ive ever seen lol, oh no someone might accidentally get helped that needs it. Can't have that, they have to post through their hardships until theyve earned dinner

It's a pretty good way to make sure that no one ever gets help.

I assume anyone who has a recent reg date is a rereg, considering how dead these forums are, but LOL at the thought of someone spending $10 to register and SA account to scam that sweet, sweet $50 out of the forums goons.

And if they do I don't give a poo poo, and with a whole-rear end panel of goons running this thing I can be reasonably confident that they're not buying someone gaming laptops on the regular or whatever's happened before.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Taima posted:

Sorry I don't mean to be a downer and it sucks to even bring up, but this feels kinda bad overall (to me, and my opinion doesn't matter to be fair). This guy hasn't even been around for a year on a website where the average poster probably starts at 10 years and goes up to 20+ years...

Everyone deserves help, and things are really hard right now. Honestly times are harder for literally everyone, just the way things are right now, but I really feel like this could be something truly special if it went to help users who we know; who have been here for a very long time, with a very long track record.

For example if Nooner rolled by with a sob story and needed a few bucks- just as an example of someone who has constantly contributed visibly since forever (his efforts in this thread notwithstanding, it's just an example)- I think enough people are posting buddies with Nooner that the money would flow in no problem. Nooner has posted 7 posts a day on average since 2011, and no one is going to top that really, but the general sentiment of giving money to known quantities makes sense to me.

By helping specific users with a long track record on the forums, people would imo be so much more willing to help and it would be a big leg up for the fund. And don't get me wrong, the people who do help the goon fund are amazing people, especially since in a lot of ways it's kind of just throwing your money into a hole without any real safeguards of note that I can see. Maybe it's just someone who posted in the WWF wresting thread for the last 7 years or something. That's fine. Just some consistent long term community activity.

This post really sucked to write and it took me a while to put pen to paper on this but at the end of the day I want people to be helped and just as importantly, I would love if people could donate to people who they are familiar with instead of this whole "just kind of write about how you're in trouble and you get money" that appears to be happening, especially since in the OP it is specifically condoned that you can ask for money for other people who aren't even goons, which sounds good on paper but is just absurdly easy to abuse and that alone is a huge wtf to me honestly.

Or have a system where users can petition for help, and then the donators themselves can weigh in with comments and money about the situation. I don't know, I'm no brain scientist, but nothing about the goonfund as it currently exists makes me feel good about throwing money into the system.

Does this make sense to anyone? Maybe it's just me, which is fair... but here is what I want to see for what little it's worth:

1) Long time community members receive funds, not new users. What constitutes a new user is up for debate, maybe it's not based on years of posting but instead activity, or a combination of both, that would have to be workshopped.
2) I want to be able to direct my money directly to those users, not throw money into a pile that is distributed on a top level.
3) Under this framework a user could request more than $125 because they are a known quantity. That doesn't mean they will get it, but it can be requested.

Idk man. I just want the fund to be successful :shrug: my opinion doesn't mean jack poo poo so ultimately who cares what I think, but I don't think this format maximizes donations.

And for the record the existing system could stay and run in tandem with one that was focused on helping veteran community members so I'm not saying throw out the current system; just allow people more control about who they donate to, and why, and keep that direct pipeline for those who want it or require it in order to feel ok about giving their money :)
pretty good suggestions, I would post this in the C-SPAM thread so they see this.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
If it helps, there is a similar charity called Modest Needs (https://www.modestneeds.org) that provides a similar service. It's where a good portion of my donations have gone over the past few years, and the guy who runs it is very passionate and thorough. He gives a yearly update to a podcast that I listen to, and they've helped raise almost a million bucks.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The Goonfund already exists. Can we please not litigate or workshop ideas about it in this thread - it is already a thing. Thanks.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

That regdate post is extremely bad, but the goonfund is extremely good. It's heartwarming to see so many goons helping each other out. :unsmith:

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

What CS said.

Also nobody stops you from donating to goons directly. You don't have to use the goonfund as an intermediary.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jun 11, 2023

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The Goonfund already exists. Can we please not litigate or workshop ideas about it in this thread - it is already a thing. Thanks.

To be clear, sincere discussion of ways to improve the fund is always welcome in the main CSPAM thread

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've been meaning to chip in to this but keep forgetting. currently not working due to medical stuff but I'll chip in 10 a month all the same, probably upping it when I go back to work.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Taima posted:

you might think you have good intentions but this post loving sucks dude and I wanna shove you in a locker

I have LITERALLY spoken to people who don't have much "seniority" here and think they're not deserving of the goonfund because of it despite needing help, so gently caress that poo poo

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Taima posted:

Gave $10 because of this post

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Taima posted:

means test the goons via regdate.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 minutes!
Ok we're done with that post thanks - it's been rehashed to death now

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Because I am worried these questions will come across the wrong way, let me say first
1. I like the idea.
2. I just donated.

How do you determine who gets money? The form to request it didn't specify the reason for the need, though there is an optional comment field.

I know this puts the people managing the fund in a tough position, but is it just first come first serve? Is someone doing triage? Is it a group? How does it work?

Edit: I flipped through the constitution on the cspam page. Looks like the committee members decide and vote, which seems reasonable enough. I’m still curious about the details of the process though

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jun 12, 2023

speng31b
May 8, 2010

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Because I am worried these questions will come across the wrong way, let me say first
1. I like the idea.
2. I just donated.

How do you determine who gets money? The form to request it didn't specify the reason for the need, though there is an optional comment field.

I know this puts the people managing the fund in a tough position, but is it just first come first serve? Is someone doing triage? Is it a group? How does it work?

Edit: I flipped through the constitution on the cspam page. Looks like the committee members decide and vote, which seems reasonable enough. I’m still curious about the details of the process though

The text of the cspam thread OP also goes into a lot more detail on this, but basically it is first come first serve for equally urgent requests, and urgency is taken into account in some circumstances.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

speng31b posted:

The text of the cspam thread OP also goes into a lot more detail on this, but basically it is first come first serve for equally urgent requests, and urgency is taken into account in some circumstances.

I saw modest needs mentioned a few times so far.

As a chronically homeless disabled queer, I was rejected from modest needs, as my needs are not easily solved and I'm "not a good candidate".

I probably won't use the fund because things are almost fine lately, but I would only ask for desperate critical things.

Is that still okay?

I don't think I'll need the funds but, yeah.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Post poste posted:

As a chronically homeless disabled queer, I was rejected from modest needs, as my needs are not easily solved and I'm "not a good candidate".

I probably won't use the fund because things are almost fine lately, but I would only ask for desperate critical things.

Is that still okay?

✅ you’re a goon
✅ you need money

You can and should make a request when you need to!!

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

kingcobweb posted:

✅ you’re a goon
✅ you need money

You can and should make a request when you need to!!

Ah, thank you.
I'll try

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Post poste posted:

Is that still okay?

yep, of course people are encouraged to ask for what they need.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Goon aid paid for my fiancee's insulin when there was a gap in insurance coverage and we couldn't afford the cost of the insulin supply to cover it. V grateful to goonfund so I donated $20 more

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

DeadlyMuffin posted:

1. I like the idea.
2. I just donated.

Don't worry, your questions are fine!

As speng said, it's a mix of first come and urgency. If someone sends in a request but they say they don't need the money till the end of the month, we try to wait a bit to make sure no urgent requests come in and then fulfill it.

The size of the request can also play a part, someone requesting $30 for gas is more than likely getting instantly given aid compared to someone requesting $500. The latter is usually put up to a vote in terms of how we want to handle (partial or full fulfillment).

I always encourage goons that know they're gonna need funds, to request it early. If something changes for the better- you can always PM or email us and cancel/modify your request. (Several requests have been reduced in the past.) But if it's in early, we can budget for it and make sure we can disburse funds to you while also being able to help people who may have a more sudden and urgent need.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Has this thread been successful so far? As in are your finances looking up, at least for the month? Just curious about that.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Elviscat posted:

Has this thread been successful so far? As in are your finances looking up, at least for the month? Just curious about that.

Sorry, I wasn't ignoring this - I wanted to put financials together to show off. And then it took me an hour because venmo's reports are godawful and then I messed with a formula which caused me to be off and may have led to more hair falling out.. anyway, enough about my hair:

We are back in the green again, which is good! The main problem though, is we still have $1,386 in outstanding requests as of right now. The good news is that about $200 of that is due by middle of next week, and the rest is due by month end. We are planning to fulfill $200 through venmo today - I have sent an email to confirm the payment info with the requestee as their venmo name brings up multiple people, and I always try to confirm with them even when I'm 99% sure I know which one is the correct one. Chasing down wrongfully sent money will be much harder than just being patient, IMO.

As to your question... honestly the thread was somewhat a net 0. It brought in as much in requests as it did people donating. Net 0 isn't bad though, it's not like we want to sit on money if people need it. The biggest success for the fund was from PYF over the weekend thanks to... drama, is all I will say. From the financials, you should be able to see that large balance in the "Due From Stripe" row, that's supposed to hit Wednesday, and is when we plan to fulfill the oldest requests and hopefully get caught up. Though, I assume we will likely have at least 2 - 3 more requests by then as our normal rate is about 1 to 1.5 per day (1 per day in april, 1.5 per day in May).

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
the new Final Fantasy comes out next week, and I don't have a PS5.

plz help.

Just kidding. I donated a couple days ago, but I'll do so again.

I get what the dude was saying about helping out someone brand new, then just don't donate.

I honestly forgot how much I donated before. have some of my money!! TAKE IT

e- i lied i didn't donate anything before. shot $50 that way.

ee- now if the nuggets come through tonight, i can send some more, lol.

blight rhino fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jun 13, 2023

Stirdog
Oct 11, 2012

This is extremely cool and I have a ton of respect for the organizers donating their time to this project. I tossed in a one time and a small re-occurring donation.

Everyone deserves a helping hand when they need it and you guys have made it effortless for me to participate. It always feels good to know you helped someone and clicking a few buttons hardly cost me 2 minutes. Thanks again for all you're doing!

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

I can't believe you dicks willingly gave money to the Hot Dog man but won't give here.

I am not a person of means but I chipped in the $10 I had sitting in my Venmo account. Godspeed, charity goons!

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I like how he doesn’t even have a name anymore. Now he’s just hotdog man. Thank the Reddit blackout for making me look at stuff outside my bookmarked threads. Donated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

If a vent hood needs to be purchased for a thriving small business I'm all in