Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
give all the mutual aid money to hotdog man until it plum give out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
We've kept the economy of Reform going for another few hours or so at the very least

.random
May 7, 2007

Do the high fees hit you on Venmo if I use a debit card? Or just if I use a credit card?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

.random posted:

Do the high fees hit you on Venmo if I use a debit card? Or just if I use a credit card?

Last update is venmo works best for straight cash. In your card preferences does venmo 'know' it's a debit attached to your bank account? If so it should still count as straight cash.
When I set up venmo a little bit ago it took it a few days for the test transactions to post, and I was still able to send cash through the debit card without extra fees in the interim.

Silvah
Aug 27, 2004
s0me
Cool. Sent $10. Hope it helps.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

.random posted:

Debit card and/or bank account are cheaper
Credit card is more expensive

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

vortmax posted:

Debit card and/or bank account are cheaper
Credit card is more expensive

Unless its American Express doesn't cost nothing if you pay it off every month

.random
May 7, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Unless its American Express doesn't cost nothing if you pay it off every month

There’s processing fees :ssh:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah, unfortunately credit card companies charge fees like 3% or a minimum fee or something for every transaction. That's why you see "$5 minimum for credit cards" everywhere.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Yeah, unfortunately credit card companies charge fees like 3% or a minimum fee or something for every transaction. That's why you see "$5 minimum for credit cards" everywhere.

but that is for the seller.
Also why sales tax is the worst one. They just pushed on the buyer. It's called a sales tax for a reason, but no one argued when they told the buyer pay it for me

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

but that is for the seller.

Yes, but remember this is a fund organized to pay people's expenses, not a product. So if we're trying to raise 250 bucks so someone can keep their roof, losing an extra few percentage points and bucks off of each donation is gonna hurt. Especially if we can get to the ideal of a bunch of regular small donations instead of fishing for big donations as emergencies come up.

That's why it's suggested to use the options with the lowest fees.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Coolness Averted posted:

Yes, but remember this is a fund organized to pay people's expenses, not a product. So if we're trying to raise 250 bucks so someone can keep their roof, losing an extra few percentage points and bucks off of each donation is gonna hurt. Especially if we can get to the ideal of a bunch of regular small donations instead of fishing for big donations as emergencies come up.

That's why it's suggested to use the options with the lowest fees.

I know man. I just wanted to be angry about sales tax.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

In for $20 a month

.random
May 7, 2007

I’m dumb and the Venmo link just takes me to the iOS App Store. Is there another way to do a thing?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

.random posted:

I’m dumb and the Venmo link just takes me to the iOS App Store. Is there another way to do a thing?
I feel stupid asking this but is that because you don't have the Venmo app on your phone?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Yeah, if you switch to desktop mode or open the link on PC it shouldn't do that (or have the app installed). I absolutely hate how many sites and apps nag or auto redirect if see you're on a phone.

.random
May 7, 2007

Martman posted:

I feel stupid asking this but is that because you don't have the Venmo app on your phone?

Strangely, I do :saddowns: I assume it’s user error. Anyway, I’ll figure something out

surc
Aug 17, 2004

e: nm that's just because I wasn't logged in

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

For whatever reason, the venmo link only works on phone. Desktop venmo doesn't let you do anything except personal stuff. We can't even access the fund's venmo from desktop outside of reporting (which isn't available on mobile lol) I hate it but thems the breaks.

If the link isn't working for you on your phone, try this one:

https://www.paypal.com/qrcodes/venmocs/09b9a52c-58a5-4d43-940d-547639cd7c1b?created=1687376305

Its the same link you'd get if you scanned a qr code so it should work. If not, try our username - @usgoonfund

.random
May 7, 2007

Got it! The link doesn’t like me but I decided to go for it anyway with the ol’ username.

For what it’s worth, Venmo sending fees are 0% for bank OR debit card (https://venmo.com/resources/our-fees/), but yeah, credit cards do normally have fees.

That said, a “business profile” recipient will pay 1.9%+$0.10, which I am sure is where the quoted % comes from: https://help.venmo.com/hc/en-us/articles/1500003204302-Business-Profile-Transaction-Fees- … but it also notes “It’s worth noting that Venmo users who make a payment to a business profile using a credit card will be exempt from the standard 3% Venmo fee on payments funded by credit cards.” The same fees apply for if/when you update to becoming a Charity on Venmo as well :) (https://help.venmo.com/hc/en-us/articles/9750561812115-Charity-Profile-Donation-Fees). Still, using a credit card for such things seems like a Bad Idea to me, so I won’t recommend it. Just thought I’d clear that up.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

.random posted:

Got it! The link doesn’t like me but I decided to go for it anyway with the ol’ username.

For what it’s worth, Venmo sending fees are 0% for bank OR debit card (https://venmo.com/resources/our-fees/), but yeah, credit cards do normally have fees.

That said, a “business profile” recipient will pay 1.9%+$0.10, which I am sure is where the quoted % comes from: https://help.venmo.com/hc/en-us/articles/1500003204302-Business-Profile-Transaction-Fees- … but it also notes “It’s worth noting that Venmo users who make a payment to a business profile using a credit card will be exempt from the standard 3% Venmo fee on payments funded by credit cards.” The same fees apply for if/when you update to becoming a Charity on Venmo as well :) (https://help.venmo.com/hc/en-us/articles/9750561812115-Charity-Profile-Donation-Fees). Still, using a credit card for such things seems like a Bad Idea to me, so I won’t recommend it. Just thought I’d clear that up.

To expand on this a bit, here's a donation we got via venmo earlier today:

so essentially, we lost $1.05 on that $50, but the person sending only had to send $50 (if via debit card). I assume if its credit card, they may charge us the full 3% - in which case you may as well use stripe since we get cash - which can be used for venmo, cashapp, or paypal - rather than just venmo. Though yeah - if you want to do cash transfer - venmo is definitely the way to do it. (and a serious thank you to whoever just donated through venmo!)

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Just wanting to hop into this thread to also say the fund helped me a ton, had a health scare, but was able to get it looked at and treated with their help.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Thanks to Goonfund and the help of a mechanic friend my car is back to "barely driveable"! That's as good as it gets with that piece of poo poo these days. I really need to replace it, so if anyone has a few thousand dollars sitting around, let me know. (I don't need anything fancy, just something with working AC would be nice.)

Trollipop
Apr 10, 2007

hippin and hoppin
Thank you goon fund :love:

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

What's the balance now? How we doing? Did a bunch of money come in?

Carnafex
Sep 6, 2006
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
Donated a chunk, you guys will use it better than me.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Spaghett posted:

What's the balance now? How we doing? Did a bunch of money come in?

Sorry for delay, very busy day for me. I posted this in the CSPAM thread over the weekend:

really queer Christmas posted:

Late June Financials Update:

So I wanted to drop a quick update before the end of the month for a couple reasons.

First off, June has been much kinder to us in terms of donations, and we've increased our monthly recurring intake by about 30% over May - which is a big help!

Secondly, while all the above looks great... we do have a pretty big problem. We currently have $3500 in unfulfilled requests. To be clear, all but one of these have received some kind of aid - about $125 to $400 depending on the age of the request. But some of these requests range from a couple hundred dollars to even $2k ... and we just do not have the funds to fully fulfill all of these. The committee itself is pretty split on how to approach this because, as you can see, we do have the funds to disperse out to some of these requests... but it leaves us completely dry to help the daily small requests. And all but two of these requests is due by the end of the week (one was due a couple days ago, another later in July)

So because of that, we want to come to the general membership of the fund (according to our constitution it's essentially anyone that posts ITT in good faith) to get your input on how to proceed with this. We aren't really coming to ask for funds to fulfill all of this... because these super large requests are pretty out of the scope of the fund, short of every registered goon on this site kicking in $5 a month.

So I'd like to open this to discussion of how people think we should proceed, but also so that the committee has a real objective in mind for future situations like this.

We had a discussion of what to do about our large dollar requests (we got another one in today) and the pretty universal consensus was - helping everyone with something should take priority over helping some with everything. So for now we are going to do what we can to help large requests, but we can't save people fully, sadly.

But to answer your question directly, we aren't as hard up as before! Expanding to GBS and the ads have helped get us to a decent spot, but we still are in a minor deficit.

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
Kicked some in, hope it helps

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

really queer Christmas posted:

But to answer your question directly, we aren't as hard up as before! Expanding to GBS and the ads have helped get us to a decent spot, but we still are in a minor deficit.

That's what I wanted to know. Thanks fam! I'll rearrange my finances tomorrow when i get paid so i can figure out what to give.

I'm glad we're making progress, tho. That's awesome! Go GBS!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I had a thought that's probably stupid and won't work.

How about a confidential of Goons with skills, by geographical area, that are willing to help out other goons who can request help by skill needed and geographic area?

For example, I have some skill at most house fixing stuff, and a little car fixing stuff, it's not a big deal for me to spend a few hours fixing some poo poo for someone on my off time. By doing so I can provide a necessary service worth hundreds or thousands at basically no cost to myself. Other Goons in my area could tell you "I'm in region X and I need help with Y" you could then look and see I have a similar skill in the right region, and ask me if I'd be willing to help, if I can't because I'm too far I say no, and the request goes unfulfilled unless someone else can do it, and no one has to know this took place.

For example a Goon may have a wonky outlet that sparks and smokes when they try to plug their goonputer into it, which is a safety hazard, that's a service call for an electrician with probably a $200 minimum, but I can fix it right up for $2.29 at Home Depot and an hour out of my weekend.

The reason I'm asking here, is it would be best if it was an anonymous thing, to avoid doxxing and whatnot.

I totally understand if it's a bridge to far in terms of liability for y'all, but I figured I'd bring it up since I've done exactly that by reaching out through PMs to people that have posted stories about struggling with issues I can fix.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jun 28, 2023

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Elviscat posted:

How about a confidential of Goons with skills, by geographical area, that are willing to help out other goons who can request help by skill needed and geographic area?

For example, I have some skill at most house fixing stuff, and a little car fixing stuff, it's not a big deal for me to spend a few hours fixing some poo poo for someone on my off time. By doing so I can provide a necessary service worth hundreds or thousands at basically no cost to myself. Other Goons in my area could tell you "I'm in region X and I need help with Y" you could then look and see I have a similar skill in the right region, and ask me if I'd be willing to help, if I can't because I'm too far I say no, and the request goes unfulfilled unless someone else can do it, and no one has to know this took place.

For example a Goon may have a wonky outlet that sparks and smokes when they try to plug their goonputer into it, which is a safety hazard, that's a service call for an electrician with probably a $200 minimum, but I can fix it right up for $2.29 at Home Depot and an hour out of my weekend.

The reason I'm asking here, is it would be best if it was an anonymous thing, to avoid doxxing and whatnot.

I totally understand if it's a bridge to far in terms of liability for y'all, but I figured I'd bring it up since I've done exactly that by reaching out through PMs to people that have posted stories about struggling with issues I can fix.

It is probably not a good idea to facilitate unlicensed/unregulated services that may not be up to local code especially when dealing with things like electrics and plumbing. General handyman stuff, sure go nuts, but if something requires a professional we should probably leave it to the professionals.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I wish you could take my Canadian monopoly money.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
I used to let Lowtax ban me when he wanted money.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

A goon mutual services aid network could be done without without the structure of the nonprofit, since no money is changing hands. A decent chunk of this already happens in the LAN threads and their discord spinoffs, as well as the giving away of things.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Crossposting the financials update from the CSPAM thread over here, for those allergic to CSPAM:

quote:

END OF JUNE FINANCIALS:

June as a month was both a struggle and a triumph for us. We expanded the fund more formally into GBS with the goal of bringing in more donors and hopefully get more eyes on the fund. And we definitely did both! And man, there's a lot of eyes on it, which I hope has been able to give people the help needed from people who have it to give. The biggest worry that I continue to have is just pure fundraising. I'm sure people are tired of hearing it but we only have a recurring donation amount of $2,215 a month to handle, what was $9,000 in requests fulfilled for June. The only reason we were able to do so was because of nearly $8K in one time donations from people - which is massively appreciated from people no matter which subforum you hail from!!

A couple things I do want to point out, first off, we did have a pretty decent cash on hand at the end of the month, and I know there may be some people who still have open requests who may be wondering why we kept that much on hand. Well, we disbursed about $1500 this week and only received a couple hundred dollars since the 1st. From the 30th's $1,648 we went to this by the end of the 5th

The bank holiday certainly didn't help.

We have around $5,000 in unfilled requests, 5 of these requests are $500 or greater. All outstanding but unfulfilled requests have had $125 - $400 given to them ($400 was disbursed over two months). I say this NOT to shame those who have requested this much (and would very much like people to not comment on these larger requests) but to let those who have submitted these requests know that we are doing what we can to help and haven't forgotten you - but we only have so much to give in short periods of time.

The banner ads have also been a big boon - we have several people donating and requesting who have said they learned about the fund from the banner ads - thank you to speng for the original ones and thank you to homeless friend for the funny ones.

I said back in June I was hoping to do a fundraiser, but sadly the prize did not win admin backing - which was crucial as the prize can literally only be implemented by them. So if anyone does have an idea - please let me know!!

I do also want to reiterate that our fund is open to all goons who are members of this forum - ie you are not permabanned or on a burner account. We do not care if you're funny as poo poo or white noise as hell, we do not care about your political opinions (if you're a nazi or transphobe you should be banned thus alleviating us of this problem), or otherwise how active of a poster you are.

Elviscat posted:

It's something that would have to be done informally, not affiliated with the fund itself. A business (which this officially is) is open to a massive amount of liability when people are doing home repair, home visits, or mutual aid in the form of deliveries or real life activities. If we were to organize something like that and someone gets hurt doing it, we'd be liable to cover their medical bills or get sued or even just have the state government fine us for not having the proper licensing, insurance, forms, etc. We'd also have to register in every state we do something like that, and pay/file the proper annual paperwork every year. It'd be a nightmare logistically and administratively for something a couple of goons are doing in our spare time.

really queer Christmas fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 8, 2023

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
I got burned, badly, by the last Goon Fund. I was lucky enough to get the COVID unemployment bonus when my company laid me off and I funneled every extra dollar into my community, helping the homeless, pitching in to bail funds during the protests, and nearly a grand helping SA users. Several hundred of the latter was just giving some shithead free stuff.

You know what, though? I'd do it all again even though I am borderline destitute myself now after not setting that money aside. As said previously, the drama is laid out in full in other threads. This is not that scam, and is a legitimate charity. Once I get my feet back underneath me, I plan to contribute myself.

Godbless you that contribute. And godbless those that are helped. Good luck to all of you.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’d you’re talking about Plinky, there was zero evidence anything ever went anywhere other than the people who needed it. Your money helped out.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

I’d you’re talking about Plinky, there was zero evidence anything ever went anywhere other than the people who needed it. Your money helped out.

Oh, no; I was talking about that one dipshit who pilfered from the fund repeatedly, constantly saying they were one bill away from eviction or whatever. Not even worth remembering their username.

Plinky got hosed over, but he also didn't keep anything near good records of what was going where, from what I understand. Plus, as good as his intentions were, the results were borderline illegal due to charitable donation law, tax law, etc. He meant well, but this is the USA and being good is difficult in that context.

Regardless, this current version is on board with everything you need to do things right. A shame that just doing good to do good doesn't fly these days.

And I could be talking entirely out my rear end. All I know is that Plinky never did me wrong, it was some random jackass that got hundreds of not thousands from benevolent people.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Being empathic on any level is always going to run the risk of being scammed, its just part of the nature of empathy towards others. However, hardening into a knot of self-defensiveness and treating everyone in need as a threat makes the world a lot worse, even though there are too many shitheads that go :smugdog: at those 'dumbasses' who are willing to trust them and get off on the idea on taking all the money at the table. I have very specific emotions and thoughts towards those people that are probably not a good idea to express in the public forum.

Also goonfund just helped me fix my teeth. last visit is this month and after that its just cleaning for the forseeable future.Thanks again.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Ronwayne posted:

Being empathic on any level is always going to run the risk of being scammed, its just part of the nature of empathy towards others. However, hardening into a knot of self-defensiveness and treating everyone in need as a threat makes the world a lot worse, even though there are too many shitheads that go :smugdog: at those 'dumbasses' who are willing to trust them and get, off on the idea on taking all the money at the table. I have very tspecific emotions and thoughts towards those people that are probably not a good idea to express in the public forum.

Also goonfund just helped me fix my teeth. last visit is this month and after that its just cleaning for the forseeable future.Thanks again.

As someone with jacked up teeth, congratulations.
As someone in general, congrat-u-loving-lations