Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Yeah in the US it's ridiculous how much of a class signifier teeth are. I'm glad I'm currently in a place where I could get anything taken care of in an emergency if somethingwent wrong, but everyone is so precarious that even those of us relatively comfortable are just one round of layoffs at the wrong time from needing help too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Coolness Averted posted:

Yeah in the US it's ridiculous how much of a class signifier teeth are. I'm glad I'm currently in a place where I could get anything taken care of in an emergency if somethingwent wrong, but everyone is so precarious that even those of us relatively comfortable are just one round of layoffs at the wrong time from needing help too.

What's wrong with your teeth?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

What's wrong with your teeth?
Mine are fine enough, no problems with my bite or missing teeth, but you can definitely tell I haven't had braces or a whitening and invisiline regimen. This reflects I grew up close enough to middleclass to get regular dental care but not purely cosmetic stuff.
The more well off you are besides cosmetic treatment, the more options you have to potentially save teeth or get things like natural looking fillings and convincing bridges and veneers instead of just having gaps if you ever lose teeth -not to mention saving a tooth that's had issues costs way more than just having it yanked.

My only real dental horror story is I was poor in my 20's so had to just let wisdom teeth come in. I was fortunate enough not to have anything impacted, infected, or otherwise come in wrong because I honestly wouldn't have been able to afford the treatment.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jul 14, 2023

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Coolness Averted posted:

Mine are fine enough, no problems with my bite or missing teeth, but you can definitely tell I haven't had braces or a whitening and invisiline regime. This reflects I grew up close enough to middleclass to get regular dental care but not purely cosmetic stuff.

The more well off you are besides cosmetic treatment, the more options you have to potentially save teeth or get things like natural looking fillings and convincing bridges and veneers instead of just having gaps if you ever lose teeth -not to mention saving a tooth that's had issues costs way more than just having it yanked.

My only real dental horror story is I was poor in my 20's so had to just let wisdom teeth come in. I was fortunate enough not to have anything impacted, infected, or otherwise come in wrong because I honestly wouldn't have been able to afford the treatment.

Yeah, I have some real dental horror stories too. One of my incisors didn't fall out, so I had braces for two years. Now I have two incisors on the right side and none on the left. I also decided to not go under for my wisdom teeth extraction, so I know how it feels to have a dental surgeon kneel on your chest and break a piece of your skull out.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Yeah, I have some real dental horror stories too. One of my incisors didn't fall out, so I had braces for two years. Now I have two incisors on the right side and none on the left. I also decided to not go under for my wisdom teeth extraction, so I know how it feels to have a dental surgeon kneel on your chest and break a piece of your skull out.

I'm so sorry to hear that. It's utterly ridiculous we don't treat oral and vision as basic healthcare in this country, but instead added perks.
:capitalism:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Coolness Averted posted:

I'm so sorry to hear that. It's utterly ridiculous we don't treat oral and vision as basic healthcare in this country, but instead added perks.

It was 1999, and i did get percs

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

The percs are nice after having your skull rattled by the sound of someone crushing your molars into 4 pieces with a pair of diagonal cutters.

parity
May 16, 2019

all things are nothing to me
A noble endeavor, gives me faith in people.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

It was 1999, and i did get percs

I got mine out wayyyy later than i should have and they gave me vicodin. Didnt use. The sheer relief I got from getting them removed outweighed the pain of them sawing into my jaw.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

I got mine out wayyyy later than i should have and they gave me vicodin. Didnt use. The sheer relief I got from getting them removed outweighed the pain of them sawing into my jaw.

I was a teenager and only used half the bottle. I wonder what I did with that

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

I got knocked out for mine but was a minor so my mom vetoed pain meds.

I had some gnarly loving wisdom teeth so that was a miserable week and a half of recovery, especially since I had to go back into work with my face/jaw still swollen. Might explain why I avoided dentists for a stretch in my early 20s.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Edit: You should get a Zelle account. It might help donations

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Ronwayne posted:

Being empathic on any level is always going to run the risk of being scammed, its just part of the nature of empathy towards others. However, hardening into a knot of self-defensiveness and treating everyone in need as a threat makes the world a lot worse, even though there are too many shitheads that go :smugdog: at those 'dumbasses' who are willing to trust them and get off on the idea on taking all the money at the table. I have very specific emotions and thoughts towards those people that are probably not a good idea to express in the public forum.

Also goonfund just helped me fix my teeth. last visit is this month and after that its just cleaning for the forseeable future.Thanks again.

Congrats, its insane the amount of pain you can normalize with teeth lol

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
I also got a customized personal mouthguard to help with my teeth grinding because the fixed teeth help with, but do not by any means treat the majority, of my broke brain anxiety driven grinding my teeth while I sleep, so I'm headed into middle age with okay physical health to hopefully hold off all the other bad poo poo to a degree.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Coolness Averted posted:

Mine are fine enough, no problems with my bite or missing teeth, but you can definitely tell I haven't had braces or a whitening and invisiline regimen. This reflects I grew up close enough to middleclass to get regular dental care but not purely cosmetic stuff.

My bottom row is crowded AF, dentist asked if I wanted to correct them. I was kinda "eh" on it. I've smiled with my mouth closed since I was a kid. Not to mention a couple decades of smoking, a decade and a half of coffee. I'd like to get them fixed maybe one day, but I doubt it'll ever change how I smile.

The Navy decided to not pull my teeth in boot. But then they decided to do it on a deployment, on a ship, that was rocking. They grew in kind of perfect and it too like 20 minutes to get them all out. I wish I would of asked for them

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

Edit: You should get a Zelle account. It might help donations

Our bank doesn't do Zelle, unfortunately. We also had very little people use Zelle during the interim so it hasn't been a big loss.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

blight rhino posted:

My bottom row is crowded AF, dentist asked if I wanted to correct them. I was kinda "eh" on it. I've smiled with my mouth closed since I was a kid. Not to mention a couple decades of smoking, a decade and a half of coffee. I'd like to get them fixed maybe one day, but I doubt it'll ever change how I smile.

The Navy decided to not pull my teeth in boot. But then they decided to do it on a deployment, on a ship, that was rocking. They grew in kind of perfect and it too like 20 minutes to get them all out. I wish I would of asked for them

did the surgeon put their knee on your chest? Thats always a fun time

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib

Coolness Averted posted:

My cousin's wife had already lost about half her teeth by 30, untreated cavities and then extraction being covered, but not root canals. I probably would have been similar, but for living near a big dental school. I had a lot of work done by students, which honestly was good like ... 80% of the time. One filling, the student couldn't make stick the first two tries, and the prof offered to step in and do it. He got it on 3. Dental school work costs about 1/2 what a certified dentist charges. And takes twice as long. 3 hour visit wasn't uncommon.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Goonfund, you have seriously helped my wife and I out today. I just feel that we have been non stopped cursed (and since I sent my request to you I found out we need another $10k for a new AC). My family will be able to eat this week because of Goonfund. Thank you so much. Thank you thank you thank you. I made a pledge to do a reoccurring $10 month donation to Goonfund to repay it and I will stick by my word!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
:unsmith:

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

SalTheBard posted:

Goonfund, you have seriously helped my wife and I out today. I just feel that we have been non stopped cursed (and since I sent my request to you I found out we need another $10k for a new AC). My family will be able to eat this week because of Goonfund. Thank you so much. Thank you thank you thank you. I made a pledge to do a reoccurring $10 month donation to Goonfund to repay it and I will stick by my word!

Glad to hear (that you got helped, not that your AC broke down).

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

This is such a wonderful idea. Chipped in a recurring donation. Hope it can help make the world a kinder place!

Is there an average amount requested? What kind of goods/services does the fund help pay for most often?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

In a good spot to donate again! My $20/mo is yours

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Pinball posted:

This is such a wonderful idea. Chipped in a recurring donation. Hope it can help make the world a kinder place!

Is there an average amount requested? What kind of goods/services does the fund help pay for most often?

Average amount requested is about $130, this doesn't include the couple of extremely large requests that are over $500 that we have only been able to partially fulfill.

We don't really keep the comments around after requests are filled, but based on my memory I'd say the top 4 are

1. food
2. medicine/doc visits
3. gas
4. dental

If I had to take a stab at 5th, it'd be help with rent. During the interim fund (when we entirely a donor - requestor based community group and not a formal business) we actually had a request to be able to pay someone's rent which was obviously undoable for us... but a donor actually did step up and take care of it.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

SalTheBard posted:

Man, I feel you on the AC. I just spent $13k on a 2-ton SEER 16 combo unit. What did you get? I'm pretty sure I got extremely gouged but I didn't futz around with trying to find anything cheaper.

I'm glad you were able to get some assistance!
I get paid this week, so I'll shoot some money towards the fund.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

did the surgeon put their knee on your chest? Thats always a fun time

Lol, nah, I got really lucky with that one. Surprisingly, for a Navy Dentist, it was actual fairly quick and easy.

But man, the horror stories about wisdom teeth suck. Had a buddy that two of his grew in completely horizontal, and that to like cut open his jaw / gums, whatever to pull them. He was asleep, at least.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Q: "What do you call the bottom 10% of a medical/dental school class?"
A: "Captain"

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

blight rhino posted:

Man, I feel you on the AC. I just spent $13k on a 2-ton SEER 16 combo unit. What did you get? I'm pretty sure I got extremely gouged but I didn't futz around with trying to find anything cheaper.

We got a 2 ton SEER 16 package unit too. I was in the military so we got a bit of a discount but yeah we are going to be spending a lot today.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

The Navy sent me to a civilian dentist to have my last wisdom tooth extracted, since it hadn't fully erupted when I got the other three pulled in bootcamp, and the base I was at didn't have the facilities for an extraction. Much more pleasant than the knee-on-the-chest boot experience.

Working nights I'm really glad I put a heat pump in a few years ago, since I hate sleeping when it's hot. Got a DIY 2 ton 20 SEER kit.

Wait, what thread am I in?

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Elviscat posted:

The Navy sent me to a civilian dentist to have my last wisdom tooth extracted, since it hadn't fully erupted when I got the other three pulled in bootcamp, and the base I was at didn't have the facilities for an extraction. Much more pleasant than the knee-on-the-chest boot experience.

Working nights I'm really glad I put a heat pump in a few years ago, since I hate sleeping when it's hot. Got a DIY 2 ton 20 SEER kit.

Wait, what thread am I in?

The military dentistry and HVAC thread!

complaining about oral violence, and discussing new trends in air conditioning, and air conditioning accessories.

SalTheBard posted:

We got a 2 ton SEER 16 package unit too. I was in the military so we got a bit of a discount but yeah we are going to be spending a lot today.

Also, it'll suck paying that / financing that.

But once your place cools down, it helps :)

to be vaguely related to the real thread, payday is tomorrow, and I'm gonna shoot some towards the fundage

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Is anyone a Euro who's followed the thread who would be interested in helping another Euro? We got in a EU request so we can't send them funds. Current request is 100 EUR, if you are willing to help - please PM me or email usgoonfund AT gmail DOT com

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

blight rhino posted:

Lol, nah, I got really lucky with that one. Surprisingly, for a Navy Dentist, it was actual fairly quick and easy.

But man, the horror stories about wisdom teeth suck. Had a buddy that two of his grew in completely horizontal, and that to like cut open his jaw / gums, whatever to pull them. He was asleep, at least.

I didn't do general. Got my teeth pulled while I was awake. Can still feel where they were with my tongue. :wink:

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Thinking to need stuident loan money when B turns that beauty on come october....

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
I got an eye exam this week (covered by health insurance because I'm diabetic; I don't have vision insurance) and they want $300 for the lenses and $100+ for frames. I'm obviously going elsewhere to get cheaper new glasses, but it's outrageous what you're expected to pay.

I'm not asking for help, but it's another example of why this fund has to exist.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

vortmax posted:

I got an eye exam this week (covered by health insurance because I'm diabetic; I don't have vision insurance) and they want $300 for the lenses and $100+ for frames. I'm obviously going elsewhere to get cheaper new glasses, but it's outrageous what you're expected to pay.

I'm not asking for help, but it's another example of why this fund has to exist.

Off-topic, but if you can swing a Costco subscription, the reduced price on glasses might more than make up for the $60 membership fee. It did for me.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

vortmax posted:

guess you're blind now. How is vision not covered by healthcare? You can't read it so you don't know what you signed.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

LiterallyATomato posted:

Off-topic, but if you can swing a Costco subscription, the reduced price on glasses might more than make up for the $60 membership fee. It did for me.

We don't have Costco here but that may work with Sam's Club. I'll check it out, thanks!

EDIT:

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

guess you're blind now. How is vision not covered by healthcare? You can't read it so you don't know what you signed.

I'm lucky that my eyesight isn't too bad. But in Glorious Capitalist America neither vision nor (as discussed before) dental are covered by health insurance.

I miss having dental insurance. I missed one payment without knowing and they didn't cover a visit, so I had to pay it off over several months.

vortmax fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jul 23, 2023

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

vortmax posted:

I'm lucky that my eyesight isn't too bad. But in Glorious Capitalist America neither vision nor (as discussed before) dental are covered by health insurance.
Did they hand over your prescription?

You can hit up Zenni Optical and get something for like $40 if you're not picky about design.

I've used them a few times and aside from frames that don't have auto-snap arms they're great.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

vortmax posted:

We don't have Costco here but that may work with Sam's Club. I'll check it out, thanks!

EDIT:

I miss having dental insurance. I missed one payment without knowing and they didn't cover a visit, so I had to pay it off over several months.

i got out of the military, and transitioned into the gov't. Had dental insurance... but i didn't know, so I paid out of pocket like 6k to get me right. the dentist office helped with send my claims and i got a portion of that back.
but we're talking like one root canal, and like three crowns. But the dental tech that took care of me was cute and adorable, so it helped :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

FilthyImp posted:

Did they hand over your prescription?

You can hit up Zenni Optical and get something for like $40 if you're not picky about design.

I've used them a few times and aside from frames that don't have auto-snap arms they're great.

If optical4less is still around, I used to use them back before I got LASIK and they were awesome.