Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Just sent ya $50, I've been helped by goon charity in the past when we were having trouble getting insulin to bridge the gap between my fiancee's prescriptions. Happy to pitch back in to help others now that i'm fortunate enough to now be in a position to help instead of need

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Gatekeeping charity aid by reg date is the most gbs poo poo ive ever seen lol, oh no someone might accidentally get helped that needs it. Can't have that, they have to post through their hardships until theyve earned dinner

e: also let me remind you that the biggest scammer of em all was the OG goon that created the forums in the first place, so that logic probably isn't the best

e2: the more i re-read that post the worse it gets, one of your proposed solutions is to basically set up a goon aid shark tank episode and the person has to pitch their needs to the donators who respond with commentary and possibly money, that's weird as hell

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 10, 2023

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Goon aid paid for my fiancee's insulin when there was a gap in insurance coverage and we couldn't afford the cost of the insulin supply to cover it. V grateful to goonfund so I donated $20 more

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Elviscat posted:

I had a thought that's probably stupid and won't work.

How about a confidential of Goons with skills, by geographical area, that are willing to help out other goons who can request help by skill needed and geographic area?

For example, I have some skill at most house fixing stuff, and a little car fixing stuff, it's not a big deal for me to spend a few hours fixing some poo poo for someone on my off time. By doing so I can provide a necessary service worth hundreds or thousands at basically no cost to myself. Other Goons in my area could tell you "I'm in region X and I need help with Y" you could then look and see I have a similar skill in the right region, and ask me if I'd be willing to help, if I can't because I'm too far I say no, and the request goes unfulfilled unless someone else can do it, and no one has to know this took place.

For example a Goon may have a wonky outlet that sparks and smokes when they try to plug their goonputer into it, which is a safety hazard, that's a service call for an electrician with probably a $200 minimum, but I can fix it right up for $2.29 at Home Depot and an hour out of my weekend.

The reason I'm asking here, is it would be best if it was an anonymous thing, to avoid doxxing and whatnot.

I totally understand if it's a bridge to far in terms of liability for y'all, but I figured I'd bring it up since I've done exactly that by reaching out through PMs to people that have posted stories about struggling with issues I can fix.

It is probably not a good idea to facilitate unlicensed/unregulated services that may not be up to local code especially when dealing with things like electrics and plumbing. General handyman stuff, sure go nuts, but if something requires a professional we should probably leave it to the professionals.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Seth Pecksniff posted:

For anyone who comes here via the LC we don't need gawking posts

Keep it on topic because this is important to a lot of goons

hey seth i'm gonna contribute to the goonfund anyway but if you ban that dude i'll throw in a bonus :tenbux: for making me read that nonsense