Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

FirstnameLastname posted:

i think the goonfund is good :)

Sorry I don't mean to be a downer and it sucks to even bring up, but this feels kinda bad overall (to me, and my opinion doesn't matter to be fair). This guy hasn't even been around for a year on a website where the average poster probably starts at 10 years and goes up to 20+ years...

Everyone deserves help, and things are really hard right now. Honestly times are harder for literally everyone, just the way things are right now, but I really feel like this could be something truly special if it went to help users who we know; who have been here for a very long time, with a very long track record.

For example if Nooner rolled by with a sob story and needed a few bucks- just as an example of someone who has constantly contributed visibly since forever (his efforts in this thread notwithstanding, it's just an example)- I think enough people are posting buddies with Nooner that the money would flow in no problem. Nooner has posted 7 posts a day on average since 2011, and no one is going to top that really, but the general sentiment of giving money to known quantities makes sense to me.

By helping specific users with a long track record on the forums, people would imo be so much more willing to help and it would be a big leg up for the fund. And don't get me wrong, the people who do help the goon fund are amazing people, especially since in a lot of ways it's kind of just throwing your money into a hole without any real safeguards of note that I can see. Maybe it's just someone who posted in the WWF wresting thread for the last 7 years or something. That's fine. Just some consistent long term community activity.

This post really sucked to write and it took me a while to put pen to paper on this but at the end of the day I want people to be helped and just as importantly, I would love if people could donate to people who they are familiar with instead of this whole "just kind of write about how you're in trouble and you get money" that appears to be happening, especially since in the OP it is specifically condoned that you can ask for money for other people who aren't even goons, which sounds good on paper but is just absurdly easy to abuse and that alone is a huge wtf to me honestly.

Or have a system where users can petition for help, and then the donators themselves can weigh in with comments and money about the situation. I don't know, I'm no brain scientist, but nothing about the goonfund as it currently exists makes me feel good about throwing money into the system.

Does this make sense to anyone? Maybe it's just me, which is fair... but here is what I want to see for what little it's worth:

1) Long time community members receive funds, not new users. What constitutes a new user is up for debate, maybe it's not based on years of posting but instead activity, or a combination of both, that would have to be workshopped.
2) I want to be able to direct my money directly to those users, not throw money into a pile that is distributed on a top level.
3) Under this framework a user could request more than $125 because they are a known quantity. That doesn't mean they will get it, but it can be requested.

Idk man. I just want the fund to be successful :shrug: my opinion doesn't mean jack poo poo so ultimately who cares what I think, but I don't think this format maximizes donations.

And for the record the existing system could stay and run in tandem with one that was focused on helping veteran community members so I'm not saying throw out the current system; just allow people more control about who they donate to, and why, and keep that direct pipeline for those who want it or require it in order to feel ok about giving their money :)

Taima fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jun 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

I'm just curious if you guys wouldn't mind a question about the future of the fund?

The fund is great. Any concerns I had are long gone, even if I still think that more vetting could lead to more contributions, but that's complete opinion and the fund has been going great so what do I know.

My question is, things continue tightening around the economy, and especially with the computer toucher heavy goon population, a lot of people (including myself! I am unemployed through a tech layoff too, though I will not make a request to the fund as we have savings) will be asking for aid and I think even a cursory glance at the financials will reveal that the fund is not on a healthy trajectory to succeed in getting money to as many members as possible.

So I'm just wondering, maybe it's worth for example, prioritizing those with children/families? Or something of that nature? I don't have the answer or anything, it's just fairly clear, and correct me if I'm wrong, but more people are applying for money than ever, we don't have the money to cover them, and things are only getting worse, so maybe some light prioritization might help. And it kind of feels like from my perspective at least, that if kids are going hungry that might be the biggest priority :shrug: anyways thank you for running the fund, cheers!

Taima fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 10, 2024

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Just out of curiosity, would it be safe to characterize the fund as primary from large donors at this point?

I'm just curious because for a minute now, the reports have said things like 'oh well we were doing bad then we got this big cash infusion' and as far as I remember that's just kind of "how it's worked" for a while.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

That's great! I am absolutely not trying to belittle anyone's contributions in any way!

I was just seeking clarity about the wording. Good job yall :)