Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

.random posted:

Do the high fees hit you on Venmo if I use a debit card? Or just if I use a credit card?
Debit card and/or bank account are cheaper
Credit card is more expensive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Thanks to Goonfund and the help of a mechanic friend my car is back to "barely driveable"! That's as good as it gets with that piece of poo poo these days. I really need to replace it, so if anyone has a few thousand dollars sitting around, let me know. (I don't need anything fancy, just something with working AC would be nice.)

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

I got an eye exam this week (covered by health insurance because I'm diabetic; I don't have vision insurance) and they want $300 for the lenses and $100+ for frames. I'm obviously going elsewhere to get cheaper new glasses, but it's outrageous what you're expected to pay.

I'm not asking for help, but it's another example of why this fund has to exist.
:capitalism:

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

LiterallyATomato posted:

Off-topic, but if you can swing a Costco subscription, the reduced price on glasses might more than make up for the $60 membership fee. It did for me.

We don't have Costco here but that may work with Sam's Club. I'll check it out, thanks!

EDIT:

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

guess you're blind now. How is vision not covered by healthcare? You can't read it so you don't know what you signed.

I'm lucky that my eyesight isn't too bad. But in Glorious Capitalist America neither vision nor (as discussed before) dental are covered by health insurance.

I miss having dental insurance. I missed one payment without knowing and they didn't cover a visit, so I had to pay it off over several months.

vortmax fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jul 23, 2023

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

the thing is, that machine that you look into with a picture of a hot air balloon, or a cottage down a dirt road does 99% of the work. The doctor is only there to check the picture of the inside of your eye to make sure you don't have glaucoma or some other bad poo poo

This is particularly relevant to me being diabetic and checking for retinal damage. There's an optional service not covered by my health insurance (for being diabetic) that takes images of my retinas to track any damage. It's gone from $20/yr to $30/yr. I think it's worth it, and I pay for it, but it shouldn't cost extra. And so far my eyes aren't showing any damage from the diabeetus which makes me happy.

Again I am extremely lucky to have insurance through the ACA (Obamacare) that covers the exam for free.

Thanks for all the suggestions to get cheaper spectacles too; I'll check them out if local sources like Success Vision Express don't work.

vortmax fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jul 24, 2023

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

really queer Christmas posted:

Crossposting for the people allergic to CSPAM

mods, please update the title to say now federally approved

:peanut:

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

omg chael crash posted:

Okay, sorry — didn’t went to be a bother
You are not a bother. It's hard for me to ask for help too but that's the point of Goon Fund.

syntaxfunction posted:

So we should be laundering money from international sources to the US to donate? That seems like it'd work with zero consequences.

Yes this is a comedy forum and jokes are expected but the US government is very strict about this and has no sense of humor so please don't do this.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Is this...?

Could it be....?

A successful Goon Project‽‽‽

I never thought I'd see the day :swoon:

Thanks to the people keeping this going. Your efforts are greatly appreciated.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Would getting the mods to send the thread on a forums tour be a good idea? It increases exposure, which would hopefully increase donations, but also increase requests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Since it hasn't been posted here yet:

really queer Christmas posted:

Hi yes would the owner of the bank account that just emptied itself for the fund please confirm with me via PM or email that you meant to do this because GOOD LORD.

edit: IT HAS BEEN CONFIRMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you anonymous Goon :peanut: :glomp: