Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
I got burned, badly, by the last Goon Fund. I was lucky enough to get the COVID unemployment bonus when my company laid me off and I funneled every extra dollar into my community, helping the homeless, pitching in to bail funds during the protests, and nearly a grand helping SA users. Several hundred of the latter was just giving some shithead free stuff.

You know what, though? I'd do it all again even though I am borderline destitute myself now after not setting that money aside. As said previously, the drama is laid out in full in other threads. This is not that scam, and is a legitimate charity. Once I get my feet back underneath me, I plan to contribute myself.

Godbless you that contribute. And godbless those that are helped. Good luck to all of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

I’d you’re talking about Plinky, there was zero evidence anything ever went anywhere other than the people who needed it. Your money helped out.

Oh, no; I was talking about that one dipshit who pilfered from the fund repeatedly, constantly saying they were one bill away from eviction or whatever. Not even worth remembering their username.

Plinky got hosed over, but he also didn't keep anything near good records of what was going where, from what I understand. Plus, as good as his intentions were, the results were borderline illegal due to charitable donation law, tax law, etc. He meant well, but this is the USA and being good is difficult in that context.

Regardless, this current version is on board with everything you need to do things right. A shame that just doing good to do good doesn't fly these days.

And I could be talking entirely out my rear end. All I know is that Plinky never did me wrong, it was some random jackass that got hundreds of not thousands from benevolent people.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Ronwayne posted:

Being empathic on any level is always going to run the risk of being scammed, its just part of the nature of empathy towards others. However, hardening into a knot of self-defensiveness and treating everyone in need as a threat makes the world a lot worse, even though there are too many shitheads that go :smugdog: at those 'dumbasses' who are willing to trust them and get, off on the idea on taking all the money at the table. I have very tspecific emotions and thoughts towards those people that are probably not a good idea to express in the public forum.

Also goonfund just helped me fix my teeth. last visit is this month and after that its just cleaning for the forseeable future.Thanks again.

As someone with jacked up teeth, congratulations.
As someone in general, congrat-u-loving-lations

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
Don't ever tell anyone that I donated.

Those In the know will know.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
I'd love to help, but I lost my job and am going into rehab.

I'd like to think that my contributions in both this thread and its predecessor helped some Goons. Maybe not, since I was one of the guys who got fleeced in the past thread, but I would still do it again in a second.

Stay safe, y'all. And keep being awesome for each other.