Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
the new Final Fantasy comes out next week, and I don't have a PS5.

plz help.

Just kidding. I donated a couple days ago, but I'll do so again.

I get what the dude was saying about helping out someone brand new, then just don't donate.

I honestly forgot how much I donated before. have some of my money!! TAKE IT

e- i lied i didn't donate anything before. shot $50 that way.

ee- now if the nuggets come through tonight, i can send some more, lol.

blight rhino fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jun 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Coolness Averted posted:

Mine are fine enough, no problems with my bite or missing teeth, but you can definitely tell I haven't had braces or a whitening and invisiline regimen. This reflects I grew up close enough to middleclass to get regular dental care but not purely cosmetic stuff.
The more well off you are besides cosmetic treatment, the more options you have to potentially save teeth or get things like natural looking fillings and convincing bridges and veneers instead of just having gaps if you ever lose teeth -not to mention saving a tooth that's had issues costs way more than just having it yanked.

My only real dental horror story is I was poor in my 20's so had to just let wisdom teeth come in. I was fortunate enough not to have anything impacted, infected, or otherwise come in wrong because I honestly wouldn't have been able to afford the treatment.

My bottom row is crowded AF, dentist asked if I wanted to correct them. I was kinda "eh" on it. I've smiled with my mouth closed since I was a kid. Not to mention a couple decades of smoking, a decade and a half of coffee. I'd like to get them fixed maybe one day, but I doubt it'll ever change how I smile.

The Navy decided to not pull my teeth in boot. But then they decided to do it on a deployment, on a ship, that was rocking. They grew in kind of perfect and it too like 20 minutes to get them all out. I wish I would of asked for them

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

SalTheBard posted:

Goonfund, you have seriously helped my wife and I out today. I just feel that we have been non stopped cursed (and since I sent my request to you I found out we need another $10k for a new AC). My family will be able to eat this week because of Goonfund. Thank you so much. Thank you thank you thank you. I made a pledge to do a reoccurring $10 month donation to Goonfund to repay it and I will stick by my word!

Man, I feel you on the AC. I just spent $13k on a 2-ton SEER 16 combo unit. What did you get? I'm pretty sure I got extremely gouged but I didn't futz around with trying to find anything cheaper.

I'm glad you were able to get some assistance!
I get paid this week, so I'll shoot some money towards the fund.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

did the surgeon put their knee on your chest? Thats always a fun time

Lol, nah, I got really lucky with that one. Surprisingly, for a Navy Dentist, it was actual fairly quick and easy.

But man, the horror stories about wisdom teeth suck. Had a buddy that two of his grew in completely horizontal, and that to like cut open his jaw / gums, whatever to pull them. He was asleep, at least.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Elviscat posted:

The Navy sent me to a civilian dentist to have my last wisdom tooth extracted, since it hadn't fully erupted when I got the other three pulled in bootcamp, and the base I was at didn't have the facilities for an extraction. Much more pleasant than the knee-on-the-chest boot experience.

Working nights I'm really glad I put a heat pump in a few years ago, since I hate sleeping when it's hot. Got a DIY 2 ton 20 SEER kit.

Wait, what thread am I in?

The military dentistry and HVAC thread!

complaining about oral violence, and discussing new trends in air conditioning, and air conditioning accessories.

SalTheBard posted:

We got a 2 ton SEER 16 package unit too. I was in the military so we got a bit of a discount but yeah we are going to be spending a lot today.

Also, it'll suck paying that / financing that.

But once your place cools down, it helps :)

to be vaguely related to the real thread, payday is tomorrow, and I'm gonna shoot some towards the fundage

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

vortmax posted:

We don't have Costco here but that may work with Sam's Club. I'll check it out, thanks!

EDIT:

I'm lucky that my eyesight isn't too bad. But in Glorious Capitalist America neither vision nor (as discussed before) dental are covered by health insurance.

I miss having dental insurance. I missed one payment without knowing and they didn't cover a visit, so I had to pay it off over several months.

i got out of the military, and transitioned into the gov't. Had dental insurance... but i didn't know, so I paid out of pocket like 6k to get me right. the dentist office helped with send my claims and i got a portion of that back.
but we're talking like one root canal, and like three crowns. But the dental tech that took care of me was cute and adorable, so it helped :)

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Remember when transition was glass and they called it greyscaling? Also sorry for turning this into eyeglass chat

Meh, this is all good chat. Help goonfund, definitely. But tips or tricks to save money on other random stuff should be a standard here.

Not like an Extreme Couponing level, but hey this eye sight website is good for blah blah.

I had lasik about 15 years ago, I'm 40 now, so I'm starting to wonder.

and that little puff of air they blow into your eye? For cataracts, I think? You should get to kick the doctor in the nuts, once per.

I just donate a bit here and there when i participate or start a derail.

blight rhino fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 23, 2023

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Deki posted:

Took a sec to remind myself how much I had going to this monthly and it looks like my last donation only did the initial donation and didn't reoccur. Fixing that.

Nah.

I think Cspam needs a nice example of "good things can actually be done in the real world if you actually put effort into it" to counter the doomerism.

But maybe other subforums can have threads about it?

the Cspam thread is what shows up on google search, initially. gross. lol

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Argyle posted:

Came into an unexpected windfall and donated a chunk. Big thanks to RQC and the board for organizing.

Daddy Warbucks over here!

Just kidding! I don't know how much you donated, but it was kind of you to do so.

I threw a bit y'alls way.

Good things happening, here.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
previous page : website created!!

https://usgoonfund.com/

are you supposed to be able to donate through the website? Or continue donating as normal?

shot $50 through paypal.

e- appreciate the informative post about what's going on with the Org. I know absolutely nothing about creating 501c3 charities, and hopefully you got some peeps on your side that know some more about it.

blight rhino fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 18, 2023

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
i'm bias because I hardly venture outside of GBS. If I do, it's PYF, which is just GBS condensed.

What I'm trying to say is GBS is the best.

fight me.

I'm currently near-broke, with a payday on Friday. But the gov't shutdown might just eff me in the A.
But I'm contributing again once all that poo poo is sorted.

And, honestly, I'll be fine, as long as a furlough doesn't drag into Months (not likely). But people that rely on WIC and other gov't aid could be poo poo out of luck. Donate if you're able, friends.

blight rhino fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 26, 2023

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

syntaxfunction posted:

Duly noted, I have gone ahead and edited it. My bad :)

I was not actually aware how strictly it would be taken or I wouldn't have posted it, apologies.

I wouldn't sweat it, the rest of the quoters should edit as well.

Shooting 50 towards the fund. Hopefully, the shutdown won't happen, because it can easily gently caress some people. Food-scarce, health care, all that can be affected.

Press on!

can you post the Venmo name to send to? I'm assuming it's just @usgoonfund, but if someone can confirm, so we all know?

blight rhino fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Sep 30, 2023

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

.random posted:

From earlier in the thread, last line here confirms the username:

Thanks, bud. Thought I did see it before, but wasn't positive.

another 50 through PayPal.

since people are helpful, and I don't want to re-read the whole thread, is there one preferred method of donation?

blight rhino fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Sep 30, 2023

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Sing like a girl posted:

Thank you for the donation I don’t know how to summarize what has happened to me in the last few months and nobody contacted me to clarify which I did expect. Then got a donation out of nowhere - but to cut a long story short I bought a Victorian house in the Midwest 5 years ago then my business took on serious debt due to Covid and then the house fell apart in the last 2 months to repairs I could not afford. The chimney fell in. I have had to sell the house to a we buy houses for cash company. It cleared much of the debt but the trauma has screwed me up so much and the stress of it, I’ve been really unable to work. been literally looking at homelessness in a shelter with stupidly needy Sphynx cats I am gently caress terrified of having to rehome. I was actually offered a place in a shelter after giving my story - which also terrified me. I am gently caress terrified of losing my cats. I am fuckinb terrified of not being able to work from the stress. I am currently trying to move everything I own to an apartment and still not sure I can pick up work or even if I do, if my business will survive letting so many people down. I am looking at going on welfare if I can;t recover from this stress. So thank you because this donation has floated me. I have secured an apartment on basically nothing I was down to nothing and I have to pull mysekf together. Have to be out of my house in 3 days.

ETA: I am just a lurker did not expect such kindness thank you.

best luck to you.

i don't know how much we (the collective we as Goons) can help, but I wish the best for you.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

really queer Christmas posted:

I just made two edits to the OP based on information we have gathered this morning in the CSPAM thread. Those are:

The first link will take you to the CSPAM thread that lists all the Stripe methods (It's also in the OP for this thread). The second link allows you to manage your stripe subscription if you set one up via email. Previously, you had to go through us to manage it. But stripe apparently had this feature all along and just... didn't enable it????

Anyway, cheapest and now preferred method is ACH via stripe as the fee is 0.8% compared to venmo's 1.75%. Though like venmo, if you do not have cash on the date of the bank debit, you will incur NSF fees (we will as well). So if you are doing recurring donations and are more likely to be cash poor, we suggest you stick with a card.

thank you for that information. sending some more your way once I get stripe figured out.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

e- dumb post

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

VplDyln posted:

My god, thank you all so very much. SA has been one of the biggest parts of my life for so long, I just don't know what to say. Thank you.

:xd:

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
So that was. Something. I hope they find help. throwin' some dolla dolla bills, y'all, youre way.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
sent some more in.

I've been in some deep dark places, lately, nothing where extra funds could help.

so it feels good to help where I can. and kind of makes me feel like less of a failure.

peace be with you, all

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Space Kablooey posted:

OP, any word on receiving international donations now that you guys are an actual charity? Or is it still too much hassle.

I'm CONUS, but I'm curious. Could you just find a CONUS goon you trust, and send it to them, and they send it in?

Though, that seems tax-loop-holey, so who knows.

I have a hard time believing the amount that is raised month to month. .. Not that I don't believe it, but just stunned that goons are so giving, I guess? Though, we have a good track record.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Seth Pecksniff posted:

That would not be advisable and a good way for the IRS to find reasons to dig into the finances. To be clear, I absolutely believe everything is on the up and up here and they would find nothing, but I do not think we should be recommending this. It would take time, money and effort to deal with this when it could be going towards helping goons in need

Absolutely. I did kind of come off like I was suggesting it. But nah 100%, that's how businesses get shut down probably.

Appreciate you clarifying my stupid!

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
I over extended myself on paying my own debt this pay period, lol.

but, next Friday, i'm shooting some more into this

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
$30 buckeroos headed to the fund.

had some bets come in, lol.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

really queer Christmas posted:

I have forgotten to update this thread in the last month!! I am incredibly sorry. There's been a lot of changes since then, we have a new committee member - It's docbeard! He has already been trained up and starting to fulfill requests without the training wheels on!

We also had a huge cash crunch issue after black friday. We got hit hard and we were down to about $100 when some incredibly generous goons following the cspam thread dropped $1K each! Those funds were highly needed as we have received 17 requests since thanksgiving!! (I just posted in the cspam thread about two hours ago it was 16, we already got another one!).

So please, if you are in the giving mood and want to help your fellow goons - I promise you, our overhead is tiny as hell for a charity. Once we have received money from the payment processor - 95% of it goes to Goons, and the other 5% went to state and federal governments for fees! But for every dollar you give going forward, .97 cents makes its way directly into a goons hand to become crusted over with cheetos! Even more makes it over if you send us money via venmo!

Thank you all for your help and support, and for those of you who did bravely step in CSPAM to vote or voice confidence in the committee itself. You make our jobs easier to carry out!

That's awesome. And those posters are awesome.

blight rhino fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Nov 30, 2023

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

kingcobweb posted:

I think that was good-natured :)

It was, but he has a point. I've edited it to reflect my warm and fuzzies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
these numbers are just mind-boggling to me. Great job, folks.

I donate when I can, and it's cool you're posting the data.