Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Welcome to the official thread for the United States Goon Fund!!! This thread serves as a hub for people to either request money from the fund or help contribute to the fund to help others!

In need of help? Click here to submit a request to our google form!!

WANT TO DONATE? CLICK HERE FOR DIFFERENT WAYS TO HELP!

Please note, effective 6/3/23 - all requests will be capped at $125 due to low funds. This is an attempt to make sure everyone gets money. If your request is over this amount, we WILL keep your request active until we can fulfill it in full at a later date. This cap will be removed when our funds situation improves and any backlog is satisfied.

11/26 - WE ARE LOW ON FUNDS, IMMEDIATE NEEDS MAY NOT BE FULFILLED DUE TO THIS. PLEASE TAKE THIS INTO CONSIDERATION AND DO NOT RELY ON THE FUND FOR THE TIME BEING.

11/29 - Low funds is not an issue at this time, but this is an update in regards to the new 30 day rolling rule. If you request more than $125 over a 30 day period - we will have to limit your request or even deny it. We are not making it a super hard limit. For instance, if you requested $125 - 28 days ago and need more funds - we will accommodate that. This is more to prevent people requesting large sums from the Fund weekly.

3/6 UPDATE - Low funds is back to being an issue. All requests made for foreseeable future CANNOT BE GUARANTEED. You can still request funds, but please make sure you have a backup option.

4/2 Update: We have gotten our funds issue cleared up, there is a small surplus that exists again and the commitee feels confident to lift the warning for the time being

THIS FUND IS NOT ENDORSED BY THE SOMETHING AWFUL FORUMS OR ADMINS. THE ADMINS HAVE NO EXTRA INSIGHT INTO FINANCIALS, DATA COLLECTION, OR HOW THE COMMITTEE WORKS BEYOND WHAT IS PUBLICLY AVAILABLE.

CURRENT COMMITTEE MEMBERS AS OF 11/17/23

KINGCOBWEB
SPENG31B
REALLY QUEER CHRISTMAS
DOCBEARD
TILER KIWI

We have a Discord if you prefer to contact us this way.

CURRENT CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES GOON FUND

GENERAL Q&A

What is the purpose of this thread?

When covid first hit, goons in CSPAM were in need of help to pay bills, get emergency payments, or even just get some food. While some goons helped out by giving a couple bucks to people, eventually a fund was created via patreon by Plinkey. Unfortunately, this fund had to be dismantled in late 2022 and that's when goons came together to start a new fund that would not fall victim to the fate of so many other goon projects.

What makes this goonfund different from the last, or even from a scam like when that goon raised money to buy pants?

During the setup of this fund, it was decided that the best way to organize this to give the most help, with the least amount of trouble caused by bureaucracy, was to set up a nonprofit company and aim to become a federally recognized 501c3 tax-deductible charity. This would also allow the fund to be super transparent in terms of financial presentation, while still allowing the fund to protect the privacy of those who request money. As such, the United States Goon Fund is a true nonprofit corporation headquartered in the state of Washington. 501c3 status is currently in progress as of the time of writing.

Why are you not a 501c3 if this was a specific goal of the fund?

501c3 is a federally recognized status of a charity, however, the charity must first be set up as a nonprofit corporation as a state entity first - which this is! Once this first step is complete, the fund must make sure the corporation filing meets IRS qualifications (At least 3 sitting directors on the board, another 501c3 charity set to receive any funds in case the fund is dismantled, waiting 3-4 weeks after receiving an EIN to allow the IRS database to be updated). The goal of this fund is to attain this status as soon as it is deemed possible, and the IRS allows the fund to backdate 501c3 status to the original filing date of the corporation.

We are now a 501c3!

Can I donate or request money if I'm not in the USA?

As we are now a federal 501c3, we can receive funds from foreigners! However, we still cannot give funds to you if you are a foreigner. If you are in the UK, there is a UK goonfund you can request funds from here.

Who do I contact if I have issues with a request, donation, just want to complain

First off, you can email us at usgoonfund@gmail.com with a guarantee to reach at least one of the committee members.

I want to shitpost in this thread and otherwise poo poo on people doing good deeds or not bootstrapping themselves food

Yeah, no. This thread is not the place to do any kind of general shitposting, and good faith is expected in every aspect of this project. If you have a problem with how the fund works, upset about not receiving money, wanting a question answered, concerns you have about being a potential donor, or any suggestions you have to improve what we are doing - we welcome all of this! We just again ask, and expect, your post to be in good faith. Do not try to troll this thread.

Q&A FOR REQUESTORS

Where do I go to request help?

Click here!

Who can request money?

Anyone with a SA account username! We are certainly willing to help out a friend of yours if they need a small amount of money, but the goal of this thread is to help the goons who post on this website (or once posted on this website) with any issues they are currently having.

What can I request money for?

As of right now, you can request money for anything you feel you need. If you need money to get groceries, please feel free to request. If you don't think you'll be able to afford your phone bill - we are here! Need money for an uber to get home after work? Send in a request! If you have less emergency needs, we are happy to help with those - but please see below about how we plan to handle your request.

Do I need to have proof of what I need the money for?

No! We do not require any proof of your need of funds. We are going to assume good faith on your part that you truly do need this money. Someone who is normally of means may still request aid if there is a sudden issue, but the hope is you will be willing to give back when you become of means again. Please consider this fund to be a pool of money the community uses to give and take depending on who needs help right now. Today you may be the one giving, and tomorrow the one taking. Both of these things are fine to do! Just operate in good faith, and this can work for us all.

Does the reason I need the money matter?

If times are good and there is plenty of money in the fund, not really. But, with the assumption that we may not always have funds available, we will go by either: 1. First come, first serve. 2. Timeframe needed. 3. The need of the request.

To give an example, if there is only $100 in the fund at the moment and two requests have been submitted - one in need of paying a utility bill in 10 days for $100 - and the second needing $50 for gas money needed by tomorrow. We will likely target the second request as the need is much more present, and the fund should have recuperated the extra money in time to help the utility bill before their deadline.

Can the fund cover my rent?

While exceptions can be made, the purpose of this fund is more smaller scale. The fund may be able to help cover a portion of rent, but the fund can't be expected to pay people's entire rents. That said, there is no reason to hold back if you are in that desperate a need. If the fund has the availability, the committee will decide after a vote whether to give the full amount of the request, a partial amount, or to deny the request (the latter option would be rare, and likely only done if the requester is abusing the system). It is worth noting during the interim fund system, no requests were denied - even if several only had partial fulfillments.

Should I grovel and beg for a morsel of help from the community?

Absolutely not. Needing help from people is NOT a flaw of yours and isn't something you should be ashamed of. You do not need to feel bad for asking for help from this fund - you needing help is exactly why this fund is here! Our country has sadly abandoned many people who don't make 6-7 figures a year. Not having resources or family or friends able to help you is not your fault, and the fund is here specifically to be a safety net so that any goon never has to feel like they have no hope. You're not a burden for needing help.

Your google form wants a lot of personal information from me. How can I trust you with this?

Unfortunately, we do have to require an email address from everyone who requests in case we need to be able to get in contact with you. As some users do not have platinum status - they cannot send or receive privates messages in case anything goes wrong with their request. We also need to know at least one method that you can receive money through (paypal, venmo, etc,). However, any other personal information is not required and NONE OF THIS IS KEPT!! After your request is fulfilled, he request you submit will be deleted so that only the one member who saw your request will know it was you. Nothing personally identifying is kept except for username, date of request, and amount requested. This information are kept for bookkeeping reasons as well as to prevent any potential abuses.

If you are keeping usernames, then that could mean that information could be used to shame me at a later date!

If any committee member leaks that information, then they will be removed from their position immediately. If you do still feel weary about any potential leak of your information, you can also request money by PMing a particular committee member you trust with the following information:

Amount you need
Date you need it by
Way to receive money (Paypal username, venmo username, etc)

However, do be aware you are at the mercy of the member reading their PMs, compared to the google form.

What if I want to make a request in the thread?

We strongly discourage you from doing this. We can't stop you, but we do prefer to keep your request anonymous to keep your information safe, and also prevent any potential drama that could come up in the future.

How do I get money from the fund?

Currently, we have the ability to send money via Venmo & cashapp, with the ability to do paypal but it usually doesn't work for us. We will not be able to send money via Zelle for the foreseeable future as our credit union doesn't support Zelle for business accounts.

Q&A FOR DONORS

How do I see the financials of the fund?

After the end of the month, a committee member will post a summary of the the prior month's inflows versus outflows as well as post information like number of unique donors and unique requests. There is currently no set date for when these financials will be posted in the thread. The fund will maintain public facing financials at all times, including a cash amount at the end of the last month and a current count of cash on hand.

MARCH 2023 FINANCIALS

APRIL 2023 FINANCIALS

MAY 2023 FINANCIALS

JUNE 2023 FINANCIALS

JULY 2023 FINANCIALS

AUGUST 2023 FINANCIALS

SEPTEMBER 2023 FINANCIALS

OCTOBER 2023 FINANCIALS

NOVEMBER 2023 FINANCIALS

DECEMBER 2023 FINANCIALS

JANUARY 2024 FINANCIALS

FEBRUARY 2024 FINANCIALS

How do I know if you're spending the money I'm giving wisely?

Currently, the only overhead expected is the cost of receiving donations via stripe (2.9% of transaction + $.30 a transaction) and the costs of any integrations, or accounting software. There will be no payroll, lavish trips paid for by the fund, or members not doing their due diligence in making sure a request is not legitimate.

How can you be sure a request is legitimate if you do not require proof of need?

The committee agrees, unanimously, that good faith must be assumed and expected on the part of the requestor. To begin to doubt a requestor who has shown no reason to be doubted is a path to becoming something that is unrecognizable to a mutual aid fund such as this. Anyone abusing this will eventually be found, but it is something that we would rather deal with when it comes up rather than force the vast majority of trustworthy and in need people to jump through hoops to continue their quest of survival and bettering themselves. If you disagree and won't donate because of that, we understand.

Can I deduct any donations off my taxes?

Maybe sometime in the future after the fund becomes a 501c3, yes! Also, you're likely incredibly rich if you can do this!!

9/19 Edit: YES!!! WE ARE NOW A US FEDERAL 501(c)(3) CHARITY!!!

Enough questions, how do I donate?

There are several different ways you can donate - if you want to give money monthly, then that has to process through Stripe.

The first, is our one time flexible donation link: Here. This link will let you donate how every much you want and only do it once.

What if you want to donate a certain amount every month and want to pick the day it comes out of your account? Well then the following links are for you! Each one is already set to do a recurring amount out of your account once a month, the only difference between the links is the amount.

Give $5 Monthly

Give $10 Monthly

Give $20 Monthly

Give $50 Monthly

Give $75 Monthly

Give $100 Monthly

Give $250 Monthly

Give $500 Monthly

Want to give more monthly? Let us know and we can create a special link for you!

Can I give via paypal, venmo, or cashapp?

While you *can* do this, we'd prefer to get all funds via stripe as the other sources will charge us more to receive cash.

3/28 Update: Actually, sending us pure cash via Venmo/Cashapp costs us the least amount of money. But it has to be with cash from a bank. If you use a card to transfer money, then you will pay to transfer the money AND we will pay a fee to receive it. Cash only transfer will mean we will pay a small 1.9% fee while you pay nothing - which is about a percent less than a stripe card "swipe".

9/30 Update: We have turned on ACH via STRIPE now. Please see the Stripe links in the next post as ACH is the cheapest way to process payments. PLEASE BE WARNED THAT ACH MEANS YOU MUST HAVE CASH IN YOUR ACCOUNT ON THAT TIME YOU SELECT OR BOTH OF US WILL INCUR NSF FEES!!!

GIVE VIA PAYPAL: LINK

GIVE VIA VENMO: LINK

GIVE VIA CASHAPP: LINK

What if I have any issues with my transaction, want to cancel my recurring donation, or otherwise need a refund?

9/30 Edit: We managed to bang rocks together until we figured out Stripe has a customer portal. Check it out here. If you are still having trouble or can't access your account through this link...

Please email us at usgoonfund@gmail.com with any of these issues. Make sure to label the subject line appropriately so we can know what you are needing from us. Please also be as prompt as you can with your issue, as refunds will be much easier to process the sooner we know, and we may need time to process any recurring donations, so please don't email us 5 minutes before it's supposed to process.

really queer Christmas fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Apr 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I'd recommend taking the thread out of CSPAM and put it somewhere more appropriate.

But it's wonderful what you are doing. I've donated to goon help funds before. :unsmith:

The predecessor to this fund originated in cspam and came about some time during 2020. The reason why that closed is... uh very complicated. None of the people involved with the current fund have anything to do with that one. If you want to know more about that - the pyf legends thread can give you the full story.

Anyway, we hosted the new fund in cspam to help bridge that gap. We have wanted to grow to encompass more of the site, but we've needed to do some work in proving to people we are legitimate after the many horror stories about previous goon charities, much less goon projects.

Deki posted:

Took a sec to remind myself how much I had going to this monthly and it looks like my last donation only did the initial donation and didn't reoccur. Fixing that.

Nah.

I think Cspam needs a nice example of "good things can actually be done in the real world if you actually put effort into it" to counter the doomerism.

But maybe other subforums can have threads about it?

Thank you! I've posted about it a lot in our main thread, but we've actually felt pretty good about making sure people know about the fund in terms of needing help. Less so about getting new donors, so that's why we are trying to branch out now and starting off in the most foot traffic and general forum is the best way to do that.

Toxic Mental posted:

Yeah I was being serious too, I'm poor but I'm not broke and I can afford to help

Help people out now that the OP isn't buying laptops with your money

Thank you as well! Every bit helps! We try to think of the fund as a community pooling resources together. Maybe today you're asking from the pool, and tomorrow you're giving to it. But either way, its about the community at large.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Seth Pecksniff posted:

This is different and it's not a Koala's March situation Nooner so drop it pls

If people feel like they need proof that money is going to goons, I don't mind providing that (with redacted info). I don't want people to think this is a closed off operation - we try to be as transparent as we can. Just that most of the information will be redacted to protect requester identities. Also, as mentioned, we do provide monthly financials. I linked the May financials, but March and April are available as well.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

So here were our May financials. We didn't have a lot of money left at the end of the month, and we are a little lower now.

The last image shows off our main dilemma - we don't have a lot of monthly subscribers. So we are mostly at the mercy of hoping our begging posts work. I hate making them, but they have been effective at getting us a bit more funds.

Here's what our venmo and cashapp recent history look like

Everything in black are people's names - which I'm not releasing under any circumstances.

Here's a snippet of our bank balance, venmo usually takes a day to come out since those payments are ACH, but cashapp is instant. We have a $200 venmo payment coming out on Monday, which is why I say we only have $99 left. Though stripe is also supposed to deposit $38 on Monday:

We really do have no other expenses besides CC fees and government fees. We are all volunteers - so no payroll, we use google docs for the vast majority of our record keeping... which is far from ideal but it is free.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

If anyone is skeptical and would like to be proven wrong - what more evidence can we provide to prove this is on the up and up? I absolutely know the history of goon gofundmes or goon projects on this website, but we have done what I think we can in terms of providing evidence and financials. Sure, pictures can be faked, but anything I post can be faked as well. Please note - if we were to provide more evidence, usernames, names, and anything of that nature will be blacked out or removed. I know this makes it seem harder to believe in, but I'd rather risk someone walk away thinking this is a scam than compromise our requestor's identities (both forums and real life)

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Because I am worried these questions will come across the wrong way, let me say first
1. I like the idea.
2. I just donated.

How do you determine who gets money? The form to request it didn't specify the reason for the need, though there is an optional comment field.

I know this puts the people managing the fund in a tough position, but is it just first come first serve? Is someone doing triage? Is it a group? How does it work?

Edit: I flipped through the constitution on the cspam page. Looks like the committee members decide and vote, which seems reasonable enough. I’m still curious about the details of the process though

Don't worry, your questions are fine!

As speng said, it's a mix of first come and urgency. If someone sends in a request but they say they don't need the money till the end of the month, we try to wait a bit to make sure no urgent requests come in and then fulfill it.

The size of the request can also play a part, someone requesting $30 for gas is more than likely getting instantly given aid compared to someone requesting $500. The latter is usually put up to a vote in terms of how we want to handle (partial or full fulfillment).

I always encourage goons that know they're gonna need funds, to request it early. If something changes for the better- you can always PM or email us and cancel/modify your request. (Several requests have been reduced in the past.) But if it's in early, we can budget for it and make sure we can disburse funds to you while also being able to help people who may have a more sudden and urgent need.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Elviscat posted:

Has this thread been successful so far? As in are your finances looking up, at least for the month? Just curious about that.

Sorry, I wasn't ignoring this - I wanted to put financials together to show off. And then it took me an hour because venmo's reports are godawful and then I messed with a formula which caused me to be off and may have led to more hair falling out.. anyway, enough about my hair:

We are back in the green again, which is good! The main problem though, is we still have $1,386 in outstanding requests as of right now. The good news is that about $200 of that is due by middle of next week, and the rest is due by month end. We are planning to fulfill $200 through venmo today - I have sent an email to confirm the payment info with the requestee as their venmo name brings up multiple people, and I always try to confirm with them even when I'm 99% sure I know which one is the correct one. Chasing down wrongfully sent money will be much harder than just being patient, IMO.

As to your question... honestly the thread was somewhat a net 0. It brought in as much in requests as it did people donating. Net 0 isn't bad though, it's not like we want to sit on money if people need it. The biggest success for the fund was from PYF over the weekend thanks to... drama, is all I will say. From the financials, you should be able to see that large balance in the "Due From Stripe" row, that's supposed to hit Wednesday, and is when we plan to fulfill the oldest requests and hopefully get caught up. Though, I assume we will likely have at least 2 - 3 more requests by then as our normal rate is about 1 to 1.5 per day (1 per day in april, 1.5 per day in May).

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

For whatever reason, the venmo link only works on phone. Desktop venmo doesn't let you do anything except personal stuff. We can't even access the fund's venmo from desktop outside of reporting (which isn't available on mobile lol) I hate it but thems the breaks.

If the link isn't working for you on your phone, try this one:

https://www.paypal.com/qrcodes/venmocs/09b9a52c-58a5-4d43-940d-547639cd7c1b?created=1687376305

Its the same link you'd get if you scanned a qr code so it should work. If not, try our username - @usgoonfund

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

.random posted:

Got it! The link doesn’t like me but I decided to go for it anyway with the ol’ username.

For what it’s worth, Venmo sending fees are 0% for bank OR debit card (https://venmo.com/resources/our-fees/), but yeah, credit cards do normally have fees.

That said, a “business profile” recipient will pay 1.9%+$0.10, which I am sure is where the quoted % comes from: https://help.venmo.com/hc/en-us/articles/1500003204302-Business-Profile-Transaction-Fees- … but it also notes “It’s worth noting that Venmo users who make a payment to a business profile using a credit card will be exempt from the standard 3% Venmo fee on payments funded by credit cards.” The same fees apply for if/when you update to becoming a Charity on Venmo as well :) (https://help.venmo.com/hc/en-us/articles/9750561812115-Charity-Profile-Donation-Fees). Still, using a credit card for such things seems like a Bad Idea to me, so I won’t recommend it. Just thought I’d clear that up.

To expand on this a bit, here's a donation we got via venmo earlier today:

so essentially, we lost $1.05 on that $50, but the person sending only had to send $50 (if via debit card). I assume if its credit card, they may charge us the full 3% - in which case you may as well use stripe since we get cash - which can be used for venmo, cashapp, or paypal - rather than just venmo. Though yeah - if you want to do cash transfer - venmo is definitely the way to do it. (and a serious thank you to whoever just donated through venmo!)

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Spaghett posted:

What's the balance now? How we doing? Did a bunch of money come in?

Sorry for delay, very busy day for me. I posted this in the CSPAM thread over the weekend:

really queer Christmas posted:

Late June Financials Update:

So I wanted to drop a quick update before the end of the month for a couple reasons.

First off, June has been much kinder to us in terms of donations, and we've increased our monthly recurring intake by about 30% over May - which is a big help!

Secondly, while all the above looks great... we do have a pretty big problem. We currently have $3500 in unfulfilled requests. To be clear, all but one of these have received some kind of aid - about $125 to $400 depending on the age of the request. But some of these requests range from a couple hundred dollars to even $2k ... and we just do not have the funds to fully fulfill all of these. The committee itself is pretty split on how to approach this because, as you can see, we do have the funds to disperse out to some of these requests... but it leaves us completely dry to help the daily small requests. And all but two of these requests is due by the end of the week (one was due a couple days ago, another later in July)

So because of that, we want to come to the general membership of the fund (according to our constitution it's essentially anyone that posts ITT in good faith) to get your input on how to proceed with this. We aren't really coming to ask for funds to fulfill all of this... because these super large requests are pretty out of the scope of the fund, short of every registered goon on this site kicking in $5 a month.

So I'd like to open this to discussion of how people think we should proceed, but also so that the committee has a real objective in mind for future situations like this.

We had a discussion of what to do about our large dollar requests (we got another one in today) and the pretty universal consensus was - helping everyone with something should take priority over helping some with everything. So for now we are going to do what we can to help large requests, but we can't save people fully, sadly.

But to answer your question directly, we aren't as hard up as before! Expanding to GBS and the ads have helped get us to a decent spot, but we still are in a minor deficit.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Crossposting the financials update from the CSPAM thread over here, for those allergic to CSPAM:

quote:

END OF JUNE FINANCIALS:

June as a month was both a struggle and a triumph for us. We expanded the fund more formally into GBS with the goal of bringing in more donors and hopefully get more eyes on the fund. And we definitely did both! And man, there's a lot of eyes on it, which I hope has been able to give people the help needed from people who have it to give. The biggest worry that I continue to have is just pure fundraising. I'm sure people are tired of hearing it but we only have a recurring donation amount of $2,215 a month to handle, what was $9,000 in requests fulfilled for June. The only reason we were able to do so was because of nearly $8K in one time donations from people - which is massively appreciated from people no matter which subforum you hail from!!

A couple things I do want to point out, first off, we did have a pretty decent cash on hand at the end of the month, and I know there may be some people who still have open requests who may be wondering why we kept that much on hand. Well, we disbursed about $1500 this week and only received a couple hundred dollars since the 1st. From the 30th's $1,648 we went to this by the end of the 5th

The bank holiday certainly didn't help.

We have around $5,000 in unfilled requests, 5 of these requests are $500 or greater. All outstanding but unfulfilled requests have had $125 - $400 given to them ($400 was disbursed over two months). I say this NOT to shame those who have requested this much (and would very much like people to not comment on these larger requests) but to let those who have submitted these requests know that we are doing what we can to help and haven't forgotten you - but we only have so much to give in short periods of time.

The banner ads have also been a big boon - we have several people donating and requesting who have said they learned about the fund from the banner ads - thank you to speng for the original ones and thank you to homeless friend for the funny ones.

I said back in June I was hoping to do a fundraiser, but sadly the prize did not win admin backing - which was crucial as the prize can literally only be implemented by them. So if anyone does have an idea - please let me know!!

I do also want to reiterate that our fund is open to all goons who are members of this forum - ie you are not permabanned or on a burner account. We do not care if you're funny as poo poo or white noise as hell, we do not care about your political opinions (if you're a nazi or transphobe you should be banned thus alleviating us of this problem), or otherwise how active of a poster you are.

Elviscat posted:

I had a thought that's probably stupid and won't work.

How about a confidential of Goons with skills, by geographical area, that are willing to help out other goons who can request help by skill needed and geographic area?

It's something that would have to be done informally, not affiliated with the fund itself. A business (which this officially is) is open to a massive amount of liability when people are doing home repair, home visits, or mutual aid in the form of deliveries or real life activities. If we were to organize something like that and someone gets hurt doing it, we'd be liable to cover their medical bills or get sued or even just have the state government fine us for not having the proper licensing, insurance, forms, etc. We'd also have to register in every state we do something like that, and pay/file the proper annual paperwork every year. It'd be a nightmare logistically and administratively for something a couple of goons are doing in our spare time.

really queer Christmas fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 8, 2023

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

Edit: You should get a Zelle account. It might help donations

Our bank doesn't do Zelle, unfortunately. We also had very little people use Zelle during the interim so it hasn't been a big loss.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Pinball posted:

This is such a wonderful idea. Chipped in a recurring donation. Hope it can help make the world a kinder place!

Is there an average amount requested? What kind of goods/services does the fund help pay for most often?

Average amount requested is about $130, this doesn't include the couple of extremely large requests that are over $500 that we have only been able to partially fulfill.

We don't really keep the comments around after requests are filled, but based on my memory I'd say the top 4 are

1. food
2. medicine/doc visits
3. gas
4. dental

If I had to take a stab at 5th, it'd be help with rent. During the interim fund (when we entirely a donor - requestor based community group and not a formal business) we actually had a request to be able to pay someone's rent which was obviously undoable for us... but a donor actually did step up and take care of it.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Is anyone a Euro who's followed the thread who would be interested in helping another Euro? We got in a EU request so we can't send them funds. Current request is 100 EUR, if you are willing to help - please PM me or email usgoonfund AT gmail DOT com

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Argyle posted:

Came into an unexpected windfall and donated a chunk. Big thanks to RQC and the board for organizing.

a genuine holy poo poo and thank you :eyepop:

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Hi fund folks, I submitted a request earlier this week and haven't heard back. Any way to check the status? 125 would help get me closer to rent this month.

You had put your deadline as 8/14, so we usually wait until the deadline nears to make sure we can take care of people with either more immediate needs or people who requested before you. We will very likely take care of it sometime before Sunday.

As for being able to check requests yourselves, it's actually something we discussed implementing. But, as you can expect, projects take longer to plan out when everyone's a volunteer working at their own pace.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Copy pasting this announcement and financials section from CSPAM for those allergic to that forum -

JULY 2023 FINANCIALS UPDATE AND ANNOUNCEMENTS:

July was a lot more laid back than June was for us, were it not for a huge influx of requests in the final couple days of the month, we would have likely limped into August with very little funds. But, we did have a lot of requests and many goons answered our call for help uh quite handsomely! So handsomely, we were able to pay a large expense that had been looming over the fund for a while - which I will get into momentarily.

*I don't want to beat around the bush since we do have some bad news that I have been hoping and praying was resolved much sooner. About 2 weeks ago, we received a message from stripe that they could no longer verify our website and were doing an audit of our account. We never set up a website, however Stripe allowed us to create a twitter account and use that as our website with no issues. However... thanks to new X.com policies, you can no longer find that twitter account without being logged in - which is what triggered the automatic flagging on Stripe's end. We have complied with everything Stripe has requested of us - detailing out our business model, breaking down what we 'sell' (charitable services), how open we are to our 'customers' (I hope you all know that you are giving to a charity, if not then please read the OP lol), and how we conduct business. They were still not satisfied with our answers and wanted a website to view that details out all of this... and thanks to speng We now have a very barebones website that is essentially just the OP. We thought that would be the end of it, however, Stripe is now in week 3 of their 1-2 day review and has now paused all payouts to us. We currently have about $1K sitting with Stripe that they won't give to us until they are satisfied with their review. I reached out yesterday to ask if they require more of us or if they could push back the payout stoppage until their review has completed, but all I got back was "We understand this is an issue for you, but we need more time to complete our review."

*I do want to stress that we are not hardup for money right now. We currently have about $1k in the bank, and a couple hundred with venmo, so the small day to day stuff can still be handled. But requests with deadlines in a couple weeks are being put on hold until that time comes to make sure we have funds for anything immediate. We have contemplated moving to a different payment processor, but we are divided on whether stripe is just dragging their feet or planning to cut us off. We are hoping the issue gets resolved very quickly.

Some good news that came out of this, was to prove that we are an actual charity and because we finally had the funds for it - WE HAVE FILED TO BECOME A 501C3 STATUS CHARITY!! So you may be asking, well why did it take you so long to do so? Well, you see, the fund originally was a small thing that we were expecting to have a max of about $3k a month in revenue - which would mean we could file an amended form 1023 - which is about 6 pages, asks simple questions, and only costs $275. Unfortunately we are, as they say, suffering from success and averaging about $6542 a month in revenue... putting us over the $50K expected threshold for annual income. This means we are disqualified from filing amended form 1023 and had to file the regular form 1023... which is 40 pages long and took me 5 hours to fill out - not including the hours of research I had to do to figure out exactly how to file, what category of charity would be best to be classified as, how a mutual fund should qualify itself to the IRS, etc. Oh also, it costs $600 to file the regular form instead of $275.

*A big requirement of filing, or at least one that made it a LOT easier to file - was to make sure that no officer of the fund is operating with the expectation to receive money back. Meaning the money Speng, KCW, and I fronted the fund has been officially reclassed to member donations as of 6/30/23. Any money we spend on the fund going forward will be treated this way, and we cannot give $100 to cover an expense for the fund one day and expect it back when the fund is able.

*Also as a misc announcement - for repeat requestors - PLEASE don't request via Cashapp, Paypal, or Venmo for funds. I know this can seem really easy but it is incredibly difficult to track the trail of the request days or weeks later. I know it can be an inconvenience to fill out the same information again, but you are saving a lot of manhours on our end by going through the google form instead of the apps.

A lot of announcements this time! Who knew a little fund on a dying gay website would have so much to say lol.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Devils Affricate posted:

I tried signing up with one of the monthly donation links in the OP but it's telling me my phone number is invalid (even though the credit card info was accepted)

If that icon before your number is right, you're not a US resident. We are only able to operate inside the USA in order to maintain tax law compliance.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Elviscat posted:

Came into a bit of money and forwarded some of it on.

How's the Stripe poo poo working out? Are they still being dicks?

Yes, so what you sent helps greatly!!

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

OMGVBFLOL posted:

the donate link for the various apps each just take me to the app store. what's the @

Venmo:

Cashapp:

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

copying this over from the cspam thread:

quote:

This is in reply to email I sent about 5 hours ago asking for an update after 2 weeks of silence on their end. I feel like an idiot for not following up with them sooner since its very clear they just forgot, but last time I contacted them they seemed to admonish me for not having patience with them. Whatever, this lifts a tremendous stress off us now. We currently have $2,300 sitting with stripe that we should have by Tuesday, maybe Wednesday. If you have a request pending with us and your deadline is before then, please let us know if it can wait a couple days since we are running on fumes right now. Some requests with deadlines before we get the funds may also only get partials with more money coming later in the week.

A massive shout out to the couple of people who donated about $3000 to us through venmo during August who basically kept us from having to pause all payments after Stripe cut us off.

McSpanky posted:

What's the rules on repeat requests? Once a month or less? I just had another drat emergency pop up and might could use some help real soon.

You can make as many as you need, but once you hit our current cap ($125 every four weeks) we are unlikely to give out more unless its a food emergency.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Crossposting for the people allergic to CSPAM

kingcobweb posted:

Got a letter from the IRS that we are an official 501c3, effective March 8 2023!!!

mods, please update the title to say now federally approved

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

cross postin

AUGUST 2023 FINANCIALS

Apologies for the delay in posting this, I was on hiatus for the first 10 days or so of the month and then needed some time to get back into the groove. Anyway, key notes - that $600 to the Feds looks a lot better now with the :siren: OFFICIAL 501(c)(3) APPROVAL!!! :siren: The recurring donations are almost to about $3K a month (It's currently at $2,790 so we've gained an extra $100 a month since August), which is very good news - makes the fund more likely to be sustainable for the future.

It's hard to remember now but August was actually quite dire for the fund since Stripe cut us off from payouts for 2 weeks. It was a genuine miracle that we got saved from a couple people giving us about $1,600 through venmo that let us continue operating past the point of fumes. Very very glad to have that in the rear view mirror. We ended the month with quite a bit in reserve, but we doled it out pretty quick in the first week - about a thousand was sent just from the 1st to the 5th. We are currently sitting on about $1,300 in cash, which is going to drop quickly as we have received quite a few requests in the past couple days that we will be fulfilling shortly. We still do have nothing in any of our other accounts (venmo, cashapp, paypal) so if you'd been sitting on making a donation to one of those accounts - now's the time!

Just a heads up for people - November is election time for the fund. That's when the membership body gets the chance to amend the constitution of the fund and vote for new committee members. The committee/board will be meeting sometime next month in preparation for the elections. We will have more information for everyone next month so be on the lookout for that.

Also as an update to the last announcement, it only took me about 3 hours not 5 hours to do the filing. KCW was thankfully there to correct the record ™ and dock me for my time theft.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I put a call out for support in CSPAM yesterday and I'd like to do the same in GBS. We have about $400 in our bank account, and I just emptied our venmo account on a request. Any aid you can give to us through Stripe, venmo, cashapp, or paypal would be greatly appreciated!! Remember, if you make enough money its even tax deductible now!!!

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

im assuming gbs is to thank for the $500, and if so - big big thanks! We just took care of 4 people and have $150 left over!

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

omg chael crash posted:

I put in a request just now to help with utilities because it’s been a rough few weeks but I worry that I might have received an error. Just wanted to check, if possible.

Your request is in with no issues. for the future, you can also email us if you have any issues with requests so you don't have to post publicly.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Kibayasu posted:

Does being federally approved change anything about being able to receive non-American dollary-doos?

The reason we didnt take non-american dollars was because we were going for federal approval. Getting federal approval means we absolutely cannot take non-american money without setting up a specific non-american version.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I know you're joking, and maybe I'm being paranoid, but it is probably better to not even joke about this.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I just made two edits to the OP based on information we have gathered this morning in the CSPAM thread. Those are:

quote:

9/30 Update: We have turned on ACH via STRIPE now. Please see the Stripe links in the next post as ACH is the cheapest way to process payments. PLEASE BE WARNED THAT ACH MEANS YOU MUST HAVE CASH IN YOUR ACCOUNT ON THAT TIME YOU SELECT OR BOTH OF US WILL INCUR NSF FEES!!!

9/30 Edit: We managed to bang rocks together until we figured out Stripe has a customer portal. Check it out here. If you are still having trouble or can't access your account through this link...

The first link will take you to the CSPAM thread that lists all the Stripe methods (It's also in the OP for this thread). The second link allows you to manage your stripe subscription if you set one up via email. Previously, you had to go through us to manage it. But stripe apparently had this feature all along and just... didn't enable it????

Anyway, cheapest and now preferred method is ACH via stripe as the fee is 0.8% compared to venmo's 1.75%. Though like venmo, if you do not have cash on the date of the bank debit, you will incur NSF fees (we will as well). So if you are doing recurring donations and are more likely to be cash poor, we suggest you stick with a card.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

VplDyln posted:

Sorry for posting. I submitted one a few days ago, but I am very unsure if I did it correctly. I do not have plat.

We sent you an email yesterday, please respond to it when you get a chance!

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Crossposting this - If you are interested in joining the debates or votes/nominations, please keep the dates and head to the main CSPAM thread. I will try to make an announcement here as well, when they go live. But again, debates for the constitution amendments are already ongoing... and pretty much everyone has said yeah im good with it lol.

SEPTEMBER 2023 FINANCIALS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS

A bit late, but I wanted to present this along with these set of announcements.

First off, the committee held the first full meeting! We're like a real company now! We had a bunch of things we discussed and it took us about an hour. We have a summary here if you'd like to see it. Though I am also going to quickly hit the important points below so, there's going to be reading either way.

First off, we agreed to have more meetings in the future. That's right - a bunch of useless meetings, just what you want to hear we are doing. The point of these 'official' meetings is more to touch base on subjects and have a more formal structure to make sure the government knows the charity is legit. We don't want to seem like we are trying to take advantage of tax free status.

Secondly... the issue of using google docs for financials. It's been great because it's free and there has definitely been a couple times this year that a sudden $50 - $100 charge would be the difference between an NSF or our debit card getting declined when giving money out. However, we really need some sort of accounting software that can easily keep track of things for us and present things in a readable manner for you guys and governments. I personally have experience in quickbooks enterprise, but I've heard... less than wonderful things about quickbooks online - the much cheaper version. If anyone has more experience in other softwares that can recommend one that's cheap but still quite functional or well suited to us, we are definitely all ears.

Thirdly... and a very big one... the committee voted unanimously to present a couple of constitutional amendments to the Membership of the fund for adoption. Those are:

• The committee will have quarterly calendar meetings with an annual meeting in October (January, April, July, October).
  • The committee will be redefined to have 3 non working members and 5 working members. The 5 working members and 3 non-working members can overlap.
  • Any future members of the committee are required to give their name and address to the committee for the fund to keep record for the purpose of legal protection (ie, we need to tell the government that John/Jane Smith is affiliated with the Fund and not Leninlover69 [I stole this joke from KCW :twisted:])
  • Amendment to section 9 stating that a person must be a member of Something Awful for at least 6 months to apply. If they are under 6 months then they need to either be a recognized figure in the community, have someone vouch for them, or require some way to communicate with the committee to be able to state their case.

First amendment is easy, we just need to formalize it to look more legitimate.

Second one... is a big one. We had a lot of discussion on this and the purpose of this delination in the committee is to recognize that, if; through elections, personal choice, unfortunate circumstances - one of the three main directors are unable to perform as directors... there's a lot of paperwork involved. As of right now, Speng, Kingcobweb, and myself are directors of the US Goon fund. Which means we are personally on all the paperwork with the states, payment processors, and the IRS. If something happens to one of us that we cannot serve on the committee - there's a metric shitton of paperwork to file to get rid of one of us, even potentially having to move the state we are incorporated in.

However, we also want to recognize that despite this restriction, it shouldn't mean that us three get a permanent stranglehold on power or there's no way to get us to gently caress off if we are no longer performing our tasks in a just manner, or hell, even just for us to take a break. As such, we want to still present 5 working members - so that, theoretically, all three of us could be figureheads that don't really deal with the day to day, or even be involved in the fund at all - but still stay on to deal with the major paperwork/government audits/ etc. With this breakdown, us three can still serve our roles as 'Directors' and if we get voted out of those roles, the membership understands the significance of that action.

We also toyed around with the idea of expanding the committee or breaking each member of the committee into clearly defined roles, but ultimately decided on the above proposal.

Third Amendment is, again, more of a legal protection as mentioned. We will NOT be releasing this information to the public at all. We see no reason why the government would release that information, the only reason we are keeping it is so we can refer to you by your actual name with the government. If privacy concerns were a reason why you didn't want to be on the committee before, we believe this should ease those worries while still making sure the Fund does have some protection against legal liability. If we are wrong - nonprofit lawyers we are ALL EARS!!

Fourth Amendment was already discussed in the thread, and this is more of formalizing what the thread and committee agreed on.

ALL OF THESE PROPOSALS ARE NOW SUBJECT TO DEBATE. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO LET US KNOW HOW YOU THINK THEY CAN BE MADE BETTER AND WE CAN EDIT THE AMENDMENTS TO FIT WHAT THE MEMBERSHIP WANTS!!!

Debate on these proposals are open until the end of the month, at which point we will begin a week long voting session approving/voting them down. These amendments have passed the committee unanimously, and will be approved if 50% + 1 voters approve them.

IF YOU HAVE A PROPOSAL FOR AN AMENDMENT, NOW IS THE TIME TO SUGGEST AND PROPOSE IT.

The committee will have to approve it by 3/5 vote and then it can be presented to the membership for voting.

Quickly running through the remainder of items, we are planning to have the April Fundraiser prizes finished by the end of the month - one way or another. Nominations for the committee is set to begin after voting on the amendments has wrapped up around 11/7 & voting will begin on 11/14 and continue for 7 days thereafter. Mark those dates if you want to participate!

I may have missed some things so please, feel free to ask questions!!

VOTING SCHEDULE

• 10/17 - 10/31: Debate on Amendments
  • 11/01 - 11/07: Voting on Amendments
  • 11/08 - 11/13: Nominations for Committee (Non-working & Working if amendment passes)
  • 11/14 - 11/20: Voting for Committee Members
  • 11/21 - Voting Closes and results announced

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

2020 is more than suitable enough to be a "goon" for the funds purpose. Hell, the amendments we are wanting to pass want people to be at least 6 months past their reg date or to get vouched by someone in thr community - and you've passed both markers.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Tube posted:

Donated once again, but would like to see a picture of something (corporate logo or whatever) as your profile picture on Venmo for next time. I feel like I'm sending money into the void, otherwise...

Yes, it's on the list and something we probably should have discussed in the meeting. I hope to have that taken care of by year end.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Space Kablooey posted:

OP, any word on receiving international donations now that you guys are an actual charity? Or is it still too much hassle.

We got asked this question in CSPAM at the same time, and here was my reply -

quote:

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

Why do you guys think the IRS cares if foreigners donate to the goon fund? My understanding of charitable organizations is it would only be a problem if they're on the OFAC sanctioned list...

This, mostly.

I suppose that question doesn't preclude foreigners from sending money to the charity though, just from us sending money to foreigners. The research I have done seems to be ok on foreign donations, so I suppose as long as the donor base is predominantly american, it shouldn't ruffle the IRS' feathers.

So if you're foreign, I guess you can donate to our stripe account? Just understand, we can't provide services unless we begin operating in a foreign country. And I'm afraid of the paperwork that will take.

Also, voting is open for the amendments, though since there's been no objections - I've called for a unanimous consent. Nominations for becoming a committee member is still set for Nov 8th.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Space Kablooey posted:

Thanks for the reply! It would be fine for me to just be able to donate now and then.

If you are truly foreign, the bigger help would be letting me know via PM that you're willing to help because semi-regularly I get requests from non-americans and I can forward their paypal info to you (and others) to help them. I'd much prefer that since it's a bit easier to have some people I can count on because the foreign requests happen randomly and its harder to find people on a moments notice (for instance, getting a message like 30 minutes ago lol).

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Updated the request form... Can't believe it's been like that for all this time :doh:

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

If you are interested in becoming a member of the working committee (or just having a voice in the shaping of the Goonfund), please come over to the CSPAM thread and read what I wrote about nominations and elections. If nothing else, participating is good to show the general faith you have in what we are doing.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I have forgotten to update this thread in the last month!! I am incredibly sorry. There's been a lot of changes since then, we have a new committee member - It's docbeard! He has already been trained up and starting to fulfill requests without the training wheels on!

We also had a huge cash crunch issue after black friday. We got hit hard and we were down to about $100 when some incredibly generous goons following the cspam thread dropped $1K each! Those funds were highly needed as we have received 17 requests since thanksgiving!! (I just posted in the cspam thread about two hours ago it was 16, we already got another one!).

So please, if you are in the giving mood and want to help your fellow goons - I promise you, our overhead is tiny as hell for a charity. Once we have received money from the payment processor - 95% of it goes to Goons, and the other 5% went to state and federal governments for fees! But for every dollar you give going forward, .97 cents makes its way directly into a goons hand to become crusted over with cheetos! Even more makes it over if you send us money via venmo!

Thank you all for your help and support, and for those of you who did bravely step in CSPAM to vote or voice confidence in the committee itself. You make our jobs easier to carry out!

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Please see below for October Financials as well, so people can see where their funds are going and how much money we are getting in (and spending) each month.

OCTOBER 2023 FINANCIALS

Sorry for the delay on this, I had the financials 90% completed by the time elections started, but had internet trouble with stripe and paypal so I couldn't confirm the balances/fees for October and put it off to finish another day. And then work got busy and... yeah, here I am finishing it 5 days before November ends. Please feel free to ask any questions or request any more data as necessary (that does not conflict with revealing any personal identifying information with requestors or donors).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

NOVEMBER 2023 FINANCIALS

Not too much in the announcements for this month, we are sitting okish on funds right now, but the 10th is our biggest revenue day of the month so things should be fine in a couple days. We did just recently give the Seattle thread the emote they won during the fundraiser, and Tiler is working on the artwork for the covid thread. He's done a good job on it so far, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

I am also working on getting some marketing stuff out so our e-begging can enter the modern era instead of just posting on a web 1.0 forum. We are closing in on the end of the year, which will mean getting federal documents and I believe official end of year receipts for donors. Either way, boring but official stuff. As always, feel free to ask any questions about the financials or ask for more details.