Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Going to put a marker down and say do not be lovely in this thread. Help out, ask questions, but don't be a dick about where this came from or the fund itself. This goonfund has done important work helping other goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

This is different and it's not a Koala's March situation Nooner so drop it pls

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Ok we're done with that post thanks - it's been rehashed to death now

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

As someone somewhat knowledgeable about tax stuff, I will recommend you talk to a tax practitioner about the 1099-K stuff that's going to come down the pike at the end of the year. It's going to apply to anyone/entity with over $600 in receipts from Venmo and other sorts of third party cash apps and, I'll be honest, the IRS hasn't done a great job at communicating the coming problems that are inevitably gonna occur because of the cliff from $20k in gross to $600

I'm not sure how that works with a 501c3 but I'd recommend keeping an eye out regardless because they're definitely going to be looking at compliance around that form come tax season

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

For anyone who comes here via the LC we don't need gawking posts

Keep it on topic because this is important to a lot of goons

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

syntaxfunction posted:

So we should be laundering money from international sources to the US to donate? That seems like it'd work with zero consequences.

Jokes are fine, saying things that could cause a lot of hardship and/or close down a source of help for goons are not. Don't joke like this.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

I was just diagnosed with critical aortic stenosis because I apparently have at least 2, possibly 3, defective heart valves. Turns out I was born with bifurcated heart valves instead of the standard trifurcated valves, so my heart isn't working for crap and I need a valve job.

BUT-- I have medical/dental procedures not covered by my insurance that MUST be done before my heart surgery-- it's literally a life or death issue, and the clock is ticking.
I've recently started a GoFundMe to help pay for the stuff my insurance won't cover.

Is it cool to post a link to my GoFundMe here?
I mean, after all, I gotta stay kickin' so I can keep doing Chickam, right? :henget:

Unfortunately, we've put a moratorium on personal GoFundMes and the like. As much as I want to say yes, site policy says no.

Happy to take this to PMs if you want to discuss further.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

I'm really impressed at how formal this is. Like y'all doing this by the absolute book, which is great!

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

blight rhino posted:

I'm CONUS, but I'm curious. Could you just find a CONUS goon you trust, and send it to them, and they send it in?

Though, that seems tax-loop-holey, so who knows.

I have a hard time believing the amount that is raised month to month. .. Not that I don't believe it, but just stunned that goons are so giving, I guess? Though, we have a good track record.

That would not be advisable and a good way for the IRS to find reasons to dig into the finances. To be clear, I absolutely believe everything is on the up and up here and they would find nothing, but I do not think we should be recommending this. It would take time, money and effort to deal with this when it could be going towards helping goons in need

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

All right so apparently if you're foreign, you can donate to US charities

https://www.nonprofitissues.com/to-the-point/may-charity-accept-gifts-foreigners

However, they're not tax deductible for obvious reasons. Again, double check with the tax professional because this was the best resource I could find

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

blight rhino posted:

Man. .... CSPAM ... good?

I refuse to believe

This is not the thread for this bullshit as I've repeatedly said

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

marshmallow creep posted:

I have a question and don't know where to ask, so I'll try here. A friend of mine has a gofundme to raise funds for a lawyer so she can see her son. Long story short, she's trans, ex-wife is mad she's trans and has been bankrupting her with frivolous lawsuits and she now needs 3.5k to pay for a lawyer with a deadline of March 19th. I feel like there are people here who would be able to help her, but I don't know where to post.

I'll let RQC speak to the Goonfund portion of this, but site policy says we can't do personal fundraisers for various reasons. Unfortunately this part is out of my hands because it comes straight down from management.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

You can ask the Goonfund for a money request but we cannot allow personal fundraisers. I'm sorry but it's site policy.