Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SAY YOHO
Oct 5, 2021
I have seen multiple people, many of them on kickstarter, who use this term like it is some sort of credential. Yeah, I speculate on the future too, doesn't mean Im gonna put it on my resume

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
If I read these tea leaves right, my future says I'm going to have a good day.

Kinda wary of the skew on these chicken bones tho

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
They are making new Futurama but bender isn't gonna be in it ):

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

I致e started oiling my rear end in a top hat, so yeah, you could call me a futurist

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

what if you went so far in the future you looped back into the past man :2monocle:

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
Right now I'm recording a Mori Calliope vinyl album released in 2022 to a cassette that was probably manufactured in the mid 2000s using a Sony deck that was made in the 90s.

So uh... what was the question again

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I just remembered I'm an Aquarius so everything around me sucks

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
No I'm not an Italian protofascist.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

No I'm not an Italian protofascist.

Aww, is that really the history of the term/movement/thing? :( I vaguely remember it being an Italian art trend, didn't know it was fash

In other news, I think I might have hosed up the recording levels on my tape. The kick drums on the first track of the 2nd side consistently pushed the meters into the red. Figured HUGE W would be the loudest track on the album but I was wrong.

It's a newer Type 1 tape I think so it might still be okay. Gonna check in a few minutes. Stay Tuned for futher developments

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

olives black posted:

Aww, is that really the history of the term/movement/thing? :( I vaguely remember it being an Italian art trend, didn't know it was fash

In other news, I think I might have hosed up the recording levels on my tape. The kick drums on the first track of the 2nd side consistently pushed the meters into the red. Figured HUGE W would be the loudest track on the album but I was wrong.

It's a newer Type 1 tape I think so it might still be okay. Gonna check in a few minutes. Stay Tuned for futher developments

Sadly, it kind of is. I mean nowadays it means people who talk about the future on television shows and writers who gargle techbro sperm while claiming the Metaverse is right around the corner, but the original futurists were mostly even more terrible people.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
Update: Yep the tape's hosed. Have to do it again :mad:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Article 10 of Marinetti's "Manifesto of Futurism" says: "We want to demolish museums and libraries, fight morality, feminism and all opportunist and utilitarian cowardice".

So yeah.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I shitted a diarrhea

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Sadly, it kind of is. I mean nowadays it means people who talk about the future on television shows and writers who gargle techbro sperm while claiming the Metaverse is right around the corner, but the original futurists were mostly even more terrible people.

Article 10 of Marinetti's "Manifesto of Futurism" says: "We want to demolish museums and libraries, fight morality, feminism and all opportunist and utilitarian cowardice".

So yeah.

Welp, that's no good. Definitely not a futurist, OP.

I will continue to purchase and maintain obsolete music formats as a bulwark against futurism. Also idk maybe read some Marxist-Leninist theory or something

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

olives black posted:

I will continue to purchase and maintain obsolete music formats as a bulwark against futurism. Also idk maybe read some Marxist-Leninist theory or something

the nice thing is you don't even have to be a marxist to think demolishing libraries and museums and glorifying war is bad so pretty much anyone with a humanities degree can agree on hating futurists

also check out futurist cooking because it's a real goddamn trip

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!

Nooner posted:

I shitted a diarrhea

Did you think about what you ate before you digested it and knowingly did it anyway?

Congrats, you're a futurist! You predicted the hershey squirts!

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Today I learned my pessimism and lassitude was brought upon by my love of pasta.

I never would have foreseen this, thank you clairvoyant thread

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Shant speculate

SAY YOHO
Oct 5, 2021
Making pasta right now and wallowing in my lassitude.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Nooner posted:

They are making new Futurama but bender isn't gonna be in it ):

Actually DiMaggio is in it! He played hard ball, but he's in the cast :)

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
It'd be nice if we could invent the time machine and go kick those first landfish back into the ocean so they don't make this mistake

The Hello Machine
Jul 19, 2021

I'm not a real machine, but I am a real Hello-sayer.
Tomorrow im gonna eat leftovers i know this because im a futurist

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
As a 40 year-old Millennial, I think we expected too much from the future, and possibly too soon. I thought we were cynical in the 90s, turns out the upcoming generations are REALLY going to show us what cynicism looks like as they come of age.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Born too late to explore the world and too early to explore the stars. But just at the right time to explore my rear end with BLE enabled IoT buttplugs.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

the nice thing is you don't even have to be a marxist to think demolishing libraries and museums and glorifying war is bad so pretty much anyone with a humanities degree can agree on hating futurists

also check out futurist cooking because it's a real goddamn trip

Hmm...

Wikipedia posted:

One of the proposed settings for these "perfect meals" incorporated the Futurist love of machinery. The diners would eat in a mock aircraft, whose engines' vibrations would stimulate the appetite.

I mean, I like to zone out to machinery sounds too but I can't say they ever did much for my digestion.

What else we got...

Wikipedia posted:

Traditional kitchen equipment would be replaced by scientific equipment, bringing modernity and science to the kitchen. Suggested equipment included:

Ozonizers葉o give food the smell of ozone
Ultraviolet ray lamps葉o activate vitamins and other "active properties"
Electrolyzers葉o decompose items into new forms and properties
Colloidal mills葉o pulverize any food item
Autoclaves, dialyzers, atmospheric and vacuum stills葉o cook food without destroying vitamins
Chemical indicators or analyzers葉o help the cook determine if sauces need more salt, sugar, or vinegar

:stare:

Wikipedia posted:

Futurist cooking emphasized presentation and multisensory impression, revelling in transgression and shock value. As the historian Carol Helstosky demonstrates, "food sculptures and seemingly odd food pairings (meat and cologne or mussels and vanilla creme) heightened the tactile and sensory experience of the meal."

:gonk:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
epic science reddit guys from the 1920s

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
futurpisst

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

no

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
I'm an ecofuturist OP get on my level

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

More like fu-turd-ist, op

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
No, I'm not into scrying, OP.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
futons are pretty cool why aren't all forms of seating also a futon??

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I had to listen to a futurist at work once. I asked him how we will tackle our failures in producing robust infrastructure to support our energy consumption, and how we can transition people into new employment as their skills lose value in light of changing work. He said governments tend to find solutions for those things.

Cracked me up because we were the government agency tasked with doing that latter thing. And he just dodged the energy question altogether.

It痴 a scam.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I'm on the futuristic spectrum OP.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
What about the future tits though? They any good?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

olives black posted:

Hmm...

I mean, I like to zone out to machinery sounds too but I can't say they ever did much for my digestion.

What else we got...

:stare:

:gonk:

Food is already a science, wtf. Any of these motherfuckers ever make a perfect cookie?

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Brother Tadger posted:

More like fu-turd-ist, op

Having a poo poo rn, coincidentally, and I can predict with some accuracy that I'll have at least one most days for the rest of my life.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

olives black posted:

While the modern American view is to associate Futurism strictly with its Italian version, the movement reached far further than that, and took on many forms. There were a number of Russian futurists, for example, who later became split on the issue of the revolution, running the full gamut of hostile to enthusiastic. The latter included the great revolutionary poet and artist Vladimir Mayakovsky, who was open about his art functioning as agitprop. Meanwhile, you have the Polish Futurist Munifesto on the Eemmeedyet Fyoochooryzayshun of Lyfe, which (you will forgive me for not keeping up with the programmatic alternative spelling) outlined "three fundamental moments of modern life: machine, democracy, and the crowd" and demanded "absolute equal rights for women in all fields of private and public life."

The common threads throughout all strands of futurism were praise for technology and machinery, a veneration of speed and dynamics of modern life, a demand for a complete rebuilding of society, and a contempt for the past, especially its artistic legacy. This often comes with some degree of approval of violence and reverence for war (although there is a very clear caesura here where before WWI war is approved of as an agent of future change, while after the war it is merely met with respect as the impulse that made ongoing social change possible and there is little appetite for more of it).

Munifesto on the Eemmeedyet Fyoochooryzayshun of Lyfe posted:

The all-global war has caused, alongside a great shifting of entire states, strata, and nations, a great shifting in values. The result of this is the cultural crisis seen today all throughout Eastern and Western Europe. Here [tr. note: in Poland, lit. "in our home," "among us"], the crisis manifests itself in a particularly acute and specific form. A century and a half of political enslavement pressed a hard, indelible mark on our entire physiognomy, psyche, and production. Our cultural consciousness could not develop as freely as in Western states. Out of necessity, our entire national energy discharged in the direction of the greatest pressure, towards a laborious and unending struggle for language, life, and own organisations. That direction, the fight for an own national "I" and the building of a tough, unbreakable, all-resistant, and vitally capable psyche, was where Polish art discharged itself as well.

We, the Polish Futurists, hereby pay homage to the Polish bondage-era Romantic poetry, whose phantoms we will now mercilessly hound and finish off, for in the times of great focusing and slow maturing of the Polish Nation it was not "pure" art, but rather a profoundly national art, that it was written in the juices and blood of the rolling life itself, that it was the heartbeat and scream of its day, which all art must be and can only be.

For these same reasons, today, when, with the reclaiming of an independent political existence, Polish life has entered an entirely new phase and has awoken amongst the million problems waiting at the door, which we yesterday simply had no time to think of, and to which we must present an immediate and categorical answer today, unless we want the rising tides to wash over us once more, we call to you:

Long enough has our nation been a cabinet of curiosities, only producing mummies and relics. The mad unstoppable now slams at all our doors and windows, screams, demands, requires. If we cannot stand to create new categories in which to fit it, a new art in which it could sing itself - we will not last.

Also the proper term for what the OP is talking about should be Futurologist, but those guys got owned by Lem so hard they immediately ceased to exist, so

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Nah but I am a fruiterer and I can tell you this about the future: Couple of days? Beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I have a prejudice against the future, so yes.