Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/briebriejoy/status/1719597271602393449

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

For all the challenges facing Phillips, the ballot access barriers for West and Kennedy are much higher.

“It’s far easier to get on a presidential primary ballot than it is to get on the general election ballot,” said Richard Winger, founder of the Ballot Access News newsletter.

That difficulty is by design since Democrats and Republicans, who both hold presidential primary elections every four years and dominate different states, generally try to make it much harder to run as an independent or minor party candidate.

“There’s no country in western or central Europe that keeps people off the ballot. There’s something really wrong with us,” said Winger, who is politically unaffiliated but passionate about ballot access for minor parties and independents.

The difficulty of qualifying for the primary ballot varies greatly from state to state. Some states only require that candidates show they are a legitimate, nationally recognized candidate to appear on the ballot, while others require the submission of thousands of petition signatures. Democratic presidential candidates in New York, for example, must submit 15,000 signatures collected between Dec. 12, 2023, and Jan. 18, 2024. Indiana and Virginia both require thousands of signatures drawn equally from each of the state’s congressional districts.

Most states require minor parties, which are less likely to have primaries, to jump through more hoops to appear on the general-election presidential ballot. In Arizona, for example, a political party that does not yet have ballot access, such as the Green Party, must submit valid petition signatures equal to 1 and 1/3% of the vote in the previous gubernatorial election, which is now 34,127 valid petition signatures to get on the presidential-election ballot in 2024. Those petition signatures must be submitted 250 days before the Aug. 6, 2024, presidential primary. Signatures must come from registered voters in at least five different counties, and at least 10% of the total petition signatures must come from residents of counties with less than 500,000 people.

For independent candidates, the path to general-election ballot access is usually more difficult than that of minor parties. In Michigan, independent presidential candidates must submit 30,000 valid petition signatures, which must include 100 signatures each from at least half of the state’s 13 congressional districts. And in Texas, independent presidential candidates must submit 113,151 petition signatures from registered voters who did not vote in the presidential primary. The period for collecting petition signatures in Texas begins on March 5 and ends on May 13, when the full application for ballot access must be submitted.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

https://twitter.com/gadflypod/status/1719825083999436998
https://twitter.com/gadflypod/status/1719825088382398951
https://twitter.com/gadflypod/status/1719825092069253387

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

pretty disrespectful to compare those losers to coltrane's quartet

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lmfao I recognized the name Edwin DeJesus. He's a local crank & obvious careerist, that's fun to see him on the national stage. He ran against a DSA candidate from the left on the green party ballot line and a pledge to keep Bacon Egg and Cheese sandwiches at $3.50

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Check out these working class bonafides!

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Democracy is when you're not even allowed on the ballot

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

In Training posted:

Lmfao I recognized the name Edwin DeJesus. He's a local crank & obvious careerist, that's fun to see him on the national stage. He ran against a DSA candidate from the left on the green party ballot line and a pledge to keep Bacon Egg and Cheese sandwiches at $3.50

honestly i would kill for any local candidate to run on keeping breakfast sandwiches cheap. food is expensive as hell now!

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

food should be more expensive

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Would like to take a moment and say to the person on the av-buying spree: What the fuck is wrong with you? Fucking disagreeing on the wording of polling questions means that I support Israel murdering people in Gaza? And somehow despite caring enough to plaster that fucking pic

In Training posted:

Check out these working class bonafides!

nichael

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

AnimeIsTrash posted:

food should be more expensive

the food will be more expensive until morale improves

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

In Training posted:

So the DSA is to the right of the Green party and it's this guy's fault. Ok, got it.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004
The DSA is to the right of pretty much any group other than the DNC, which uses the DSA to wrangle its feckless left wing

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

https://twitter.com/DrJillStein/status/1722661780768366660
https://twitter.com/DrJillStein/status/1722656370854355132

sd6
Jan 14, 2008

This has all been posted before, and it will all be posted again

Thank god, looks like im shillin for a jillin this next election

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

neat, I wasn't expecting to be able to do the ultimate bernie bro power move and point out that I've voted for a woman president 3 times. which is two more than hillary loosers can claim

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

sd6 posted:

im shillin for a jillin

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/Remroum/status/1723770371478859959

Im back on board

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

:hmmyes:

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

he started a little weak but he was pretty consistent

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

it’s her turn!!!

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

One step closer to 2016 II. We just need a certain shambling corpse to finally drop and for Abuela Hilldawg to rise like a phoenix

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

gently caress it voting Cornel

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
https://x.com/KeithOlbermann/status/1722817134466638243?s=20

:sad:

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

When the peasants refuse to vote for you favorite genocide enjoyer and it makes you so upset you need your blankie

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Independent presidential hopeful Cornel West is taking aim at Michigan by courting voter groups that Joe Biden is struggling with — in a state where a single percentage point could make the difference for the president’s reelection bid.

West will take his threadbare campaign to the state early next year to rally support among Arab American voters in Dearborn, “environmental justice advocates” in the majority Black city of Flint, university students and indigenous populations, according to plans shared with POLITICO.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Dearborn is not going to be voting for a Democrat until there's a Ceasefire

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
-black
-well-educated
-upper middle-class
-advised Obama from the left
-blatantly Christian from the left

All voting does in my 85% Trump county is piss varying people off to varying degrees and I think I found the jackpot

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

War and Pieces posted:

Dearborn is not going to be voting for a Democrat until there's a Ceasefire

theres no reason for them to ever vote for genocide joe ceasefire or not

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

has chubb rock made a cornel west song yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw6D8EtjIU0

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Jon posted:

The DSA is to the right of pretty much any group other than the DNC, which uses the DSA to wrangle its feckless left wing

that's right

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

finally, some West vs. RFK Jr. action

https://twitter.com/CornelWest/status/1747302438586249448

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I'm feeling the Cornell energy.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

did this guy win the election yet? is he president?

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

I saw Dr. West speak at a pro-Palestine rally and I don't know how that man has so much energy. He was fired the heck up. Inspiring tbh.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

fart simpson posted:

did this guy win the election yet? is he president?

Brother Cornell has been declared King of America for life and eternity.

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020
The voting for the (traditionally libertarian) 3rd party debate, is currently led by Claudia De La Cruz, a Marxist-Leninist, with Cornel West in 2nd:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

saw my first Cornel West 2024 bumper sticker in the wild today

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

lol Sonski in third

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

In Training posted:

hes right