Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

quote:

to start things off, all i got from my own schooling days were examples of what not to do. (for context, i went to a rural public school in australia in the 90s.)

in primary (elementary), the special ed kids usually had their own room where all the grades and abilities seemed to be grouped in together and had almost no opportunity to interact with anyone outside their class. every day would have a few periods where they were dragged out and sat in a classroom with everyone else, but with their own material, their own teacher, and no chance to work with or talk to any of the mainstream students. the only time any of us noticed they were there was when one of them started acting up, which only created resentment and imo did more harm than good.

what seemed particularly cruel to me was that for some reason, the teachers forced all the special education students (past a certain level of functioning) to do pe and sport with the rest of us. so almost their only real interaction with mainstream students was going through the harrowing ritual of team choosing, where of course all of them were left until the very end, and then having to hear everyone complaining about having to have them on their team and blaming them if they lost. that was awful enough to go through as a regular nerd, but on top of the social stigma they already experienced it must have been excruciating.

once we got to high school, there was zero attempt at integration. the special education students had their own building and most of them chose to even spend lunchtimes there because they got bullied so much in the playground. they became invisible. i never heard any success stories from that town.

I wasn't in special ed but always noticed this kinda thing too

nobody made an attempt to include any of the disabled kids in stuff, but would still have one kid in a wheelchair be there just kinda back of the room in nearly every class

i don't mean the kids who genuinely couldn't follow along in even simple things, but the kids who had speech disorders or mild palsy/downs/etc that kept them from fully participating in classes without needing assistance but were still capable people who could've been able to join in a conversation or whatever

it seemed mean, none of us would ever interact with them positively, or negatively. they'd always have an adult with them and they never encouraged anyone to interact with them, or said it was (or wasn't) okay -or- let us know why they were there, since they'd just be alone and often seemed to be on totally separate educational plans from the rest of the classes

it kinda felt like it trained all of the students to just ignore people with disabilities, maybe that was the intent to cut down on bullying ? but it seemed to have more of a desensitizing effect where anyone in a wheelchair blended into the background as a static object. people wouldn't even know their names. it seemed to reinforce the sentiment that bullying wasn't really seen as bullying by the students, or staff, unless it was someone being directly hostile to someone in a wheelchair or w/ an immediately visible physical disability.

like, the fact students wouldn't be harassing the kids in wheelchairs would be enough to show that bullying wasn't an issue, and that what they'd be doing to other kids wasn't bullying, because those kids (incl special ed kids) getting dirt slipped into their packed lunches and whatever weren't in wheelchairs, so 'it's just horseplay'

anyways i don't have any advice but wanted to mention how messed up that poo poo was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU