Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

live with fruit posted:

The Clooney ending sounds hilarious because it sounds like a Burton's Planet of the Apes ripoff.

And yet they won't just make a Batman Beyond movie.

Can't we just get beyond Batman?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

live with fruit posted:

And yet they won't just make a Batman Beyond movie.

I feel like people really overestimate the popularity of Batman Beyond. It was a niche show that lasted for like 50 episodes and then disappeared.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Timby posted:

I feel like people really overestimate the popularity of Batman Beyond. It was a niche show that lasted for like 50 episodes and then disappeared.
I don't see why that matters? It's Batman, combined with Spider-Man, in the future... a solid idea for a movie regardless of the popularity of the show, and let's be honest, it won't be all that much like it.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
If they're going to keep making new Batman movies in perpetuity, the least they could do is change it up.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 10, 2023

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Assepoester posted:

I don't see why that matters? It's Batman, combined with Spider-Man, in the future... a solid idea for a movie regardless of the popularity of the show, and let's be honest, it won't be all that much like it.

"_______, but in the future" doesn'tsound like an interesting premise, especially when the target franchise borders on science fiction to begin with. To general audiences, Batman Beyond is just Batman without most things they associate with Batman, but with many things they are familiar with through terrible science fiction movies.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

"_______, but in the future" doesn'tsound like an interesting premise, especially when the target franchise borders on science fiction to begin with. To general audiences, Batman Beyond is just Batman without most things they associate with Batman, but with many things they are familiar with through terrible science fiction movies.

These days they could skip the future part (tho cyberpunk gotham owns so let's dream big).

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

It not being what audiences are familiar with is the point. Plus, it's more than just a Blade Runner reskin. Since we're going to always have Batman stories, telling one about a Bruce Wayne who retired in his fifties after pulling a gun on a criminal is an interesting take. An older, out of their prime superhero story in general is an interesting take for a movie, instead of treating Batman (or Spider-Man) like Bond and making him the same age forever.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

live with fruit posted:

It not being what audiences are familiar with is the point. Plus, it's more than just a Blade Runner reskin. Since we're going to always have Batman stories, telling one about a Bruce Wayne who retired in his fifties after pulling a gun on a criminal is an interesting take. An older, out of their prime superhero story in general is an interesting take for a movie, instead of treating Batman (or Spider-Man) like Bond and making him the same age forever.

I guess we'll see about that.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1667618987327254531?t=ERiVgSgs7nV_ozPdVIu0xA&s=19

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Whatever that was, it was gone like... a flash!

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I think I talked about this in another thread, but the two things that made Beyond work was a really solid rouges gallery and a team of writers who knew how to thread the needle just right without falling into the traps and pitfalls you would expect from a premise like "teenage Batman in the future". It may not have lasted more than a few seasons but I think there is a reason people still keep bringing it up after all this time.

That said, I also don't really have faith that modern DC can scrape together the writing talent to make that premise work again, especially not with all the writing talent in Hollywood currently being on strike.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It also incorporated all the best ideas cyberpunk media had to offer while jettisoning all the lame and dumb stuff.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Grendels Dad posted:

Whatever that was, it was gone like... a flash!

It was Michael Shannon talking poo poo about the movie he got paid a lot of money for

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I rewatched Return of the Joker recently and it does not hold up and given a big reason was how much I realized I hated Terry McGinnis I reckon the rest of Batman Beyond doesn’t either.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

To be honest I never liked BB

Just seemed to be trying too hard or something to me as a kid I don't know

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

RBA Starblade posted:

To be honest I never liked BB

Just seemed to be trying too hard or something to me as a kid I don't know

I never really cared for Batman Beyond, either. The voice acting was fine, but the aesthetic never worked for me, the villains were terrible. Return of the Joker? There's a reason the only thing anyone remembers from it is the flashback sequence.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

So, anyone else hyped to see THE FLASH? I hear Batman's in it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm not ready for Ezra Miller to flash me yet

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They don’t care what you want, you’re gonna get flashed

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Choked out and Flashed against my will

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Pirate Jet posted:

I rewatched Return of the Joker recently and it does not hold up and given a big reason was how much I realized I hated Terry McGinnis I reckon the rest of Batman Beyond doesn’t either.

Batman Beyond was where Bruce Timm's creepy Bruce/Babs shipping really started. Having them torture Tim Drake in Return of the Joker is the reason I didn't want to watch it. That was and still is super hosed up.

I like the original concept of Batman Beyond, where it was a caped crusader story in a cyberpunk dystopia setting. That was interesting. The Babs stuff and Return of the Joker was when I lost interest, and it really jumped the shark when Justice League revealed Terry was Bruce's son courtesy of Amanda Waller sabotaging Papa McGinnis' balls.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bogus Adventure posted:

it really jumped the shark when Justice League revealed Terry was Bruce's son courtesy of Amanda Waller sabotaging Papa McGinnis' balls.

These things happen

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Just leave out all the dumb crap.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Bogus Adventure posted:

it really jumped the shark when Justice League revealed Terry was Bruce's son courtesy of Amanda Waller sabotaging Papa McGinnis' balls.
The weirdest thing is her whole plan comes directly from the 70s movie The Boys from Brazil. Why is the plot of a Hitler resurrection movie used for Batman?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Bogus Adventure posted:

Batman Beyond was where Bruce Timm's creepy Bruce/Babs shipping really started. Having them torture Tim Drake in Return of the Joker is the reason I didn't want to watch it. That was and still is super hosed up.

I like the original concept of Batman Beyond, where it was a caped crusader story in a cyberpunk dystopia setting. That was interesting. The Babs stuff and Return of the Joker was when I lost interest, and it really jumped the shark when Justice League revealed Terry was Bruce's son courtesy of Amanda Waller sabotaging Papa McGinnis' balls.

That all started in the last season of BTAS where Nightwing "didn't want to talk" about why he quit and Babs took his place. Which was also the consistently best season of BTAS and had an entire episode about Batman giving a woman an orgasm.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Darko posted:

That all started in the last season of BTAS where Nightwing "didn't want to talk" about why he quit and Babs took his place. Which was also the consistently best season of BTAS and had an entire episode about Batman giving a woman an orgasm.

Given enough time to prepare Batman can do anything

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Lol

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Darko posted:

IIRC, the reason Nightwing didn't want to talk about why he quit is revealed in the Nightwing/Robin episode where it turns out that Bruce has been training Barbara without telling Dick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPszLUHzgAM

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://twitter.com/thesebbazz/status/1667720852266254336

New Fortnite season lookin good.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

When your heel just touches your other bro's heel

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I'm sure if I started paying attention to where people's shadows are and where their feet might touch the ground, I might go insane.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The special effects from a decade ago are solidly kicking the rear end of special effects today. Just the total collapse of an entire sector of art.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

*sees zod on the screen*
that’s zod

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

ianmckellancryingingreenscreenroom.flv

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

They kneeled before Zod

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Lol. Just, lmao.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Go go power rangers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

lol